PDA

View Full Version : Only on the Xbox

NewXman
10-11-2002, 01:31 PM
In the 80s there were two games which to this day I consider the best games ever. Starflight and Elite. In my opinion these are must have titles for the Xbox Live library.

Starflight, sent you on a quest to save the universe with a crew you hand picked and trained. You could explore strange new worlds, and boldly go… You get the idea. I would really love to see it updated and remade just for the Xbox. No doubt, getting an obsequious message from a Spemin battleship as it’s captain begs you not to blow him out of the sky because he has a wife and ten thousand little blobbies back home.

Then there was Elite. This game was huge, and could be unbelievably big on the Xbox, by utilizing the hard drive, internet and linking abilities. There were thousands of star systems to trade with. You could be a trader of such goods as food or technology. But, for those who dare, you could become a slave trader or gun runner. I am wishing for the day I leave the Coriolis space station orbiting Lave and venture out into the unknown on my quest to become “Elite.”

I really believe that the Xbox is the system, that could breath new life into these games and win the hearts and imaginations of a whole new generation of gamers.

The NewXman

RudedogX
10-11-2002, 01:33 PM
Strange...I don't remember either one of these...Were they on the computer or the Atari, Amiga? Which?:confused:

NewXman
10-11-2002, 02:01 PM
They were for PC, Amiga, C64 and MAC, it think...

Check out these links...

Starflight (http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/5866/main.html)

Elite (http://home.clara.net/planetlave/)

Bigwig
10-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Elite was a cool game you could fly around in a flush, plush fleetwood selling dope to different galaxies.

NewXman
10-12-2002, 10:07 AM
I would have to say Elite was the best of the two. You're right, you good be a glactic dope smuggler, or gun runner. The possibilities were endless.

Variation-XBA
10-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Never heard or played emhttp://216.40.241.68/cwm/cwm/freak3.gif

Unreal
10-13-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Variation
Never heard or played emhttp://216.40.241.68/cwm/cwm/freak3.gif

Afro Aura
10-13-2002, 07:03 PM
It's a shame I wish someone would do Paradroid for the XBOX that game was so cool on the C64

NewXman
10-13-2002, 08:04 PM
The C64 and Amiga really started something back then. I am very suprised that more games have not returned from the past. I remember Test Drive on the Amiga, the graphics were on par with PS1, Saturn and N64.

There is something to be said for old school gaming.

It's funny, the Amiga was capable of producing graphics so good, that when a Video Toaster card was added, complex video images and animation became possible. All the effect for Babylon 5 were first done on an Amiga. That was in the late 80s and early 90s. SeaQuest was another show that used the Amiga/Video Toaster.

I guess that's why I want to see games like Elite and Starflight return. I remember how good that were then, and they could be great now...

BCan
10-14-2002, 05:27 AM
I think the closest current game in development is the "vapourware" game called Freelancer, which is from the same kind of line of games. I think it is the sequel, or follow up to Starlancer, which also followed in the Privateer/Elite type of game.

OppiumNitrates
10-14-2002, 09:49 AM
Anyone even play Jumpman . . .

a great old skool C64 game (i think it was on the C64) u had to pick up these little yellow circles adn there were 2 types of ropes to climb, ropes the bring you up and ropes that bring you down. . . . . and when every you fall It made this best sound effects ever and you would always hit every level on the way down . . . **runs and searches the internet frantically to find a copy of this gem**

OppiumNitrates
10-14-2002, 10:19 AM

a great old skool C64 game (i think it was on the C64) u had to pick up these little yellow circles adn there were 2 types of ropes to climb, ropes the bring you up and ropes that bring you down. . . . . and when every you fall It made this best sound effects ever and you would always hit every level on the way down . . . **runs and searches the internet frantically to find a copy of this gem**

Afro Aura
10-14-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

Nah never seen it mate

I'm just waiting for Cinemaware to bring there stuff from the Amiga to the XBOX is Defender of the Crown still coming out on the XBOX?
it's also glad to hear there the Last Ninja is coming back from the past too