PDA

View Full Version : Question: How to camp at a 24hr store

darianX
11-13-2001, 01:09 AM
The topic says the question...I've never camped in front of a store before, and the walmart here (24hr superstore) says they'll sell at 12:01AM. Do you take a seat on the counter in the electronics dept or what?? I have no idea...any help?

kiz10
11-13-2001, 01:13 AM
Camp as close to the doors as u can. When the doors open sprint in there, pick up your Xbox, go home and blow your brains out with excitement!!!!!!!:D

Rancey
11-13-2001, 01:21 AM
kiz10> It's 24hour store...I suggest you see what others are doing and slot in behind them...if you are first there just ask the store manager where you can park your carcus :)

Marc
11-13-2001, 01:49 AM
You might need a weapon of some sort...

Marc
11-13-2001, 01:49 AM
Um...just kidding...

RPGr
11-13-2001, 05:04 AM
Our Wal-mart said there line will be in the lay-a-way dept., not the electronic dept.

aronx
11-13-2001, 11:29 AM
I would suggest going in the afternoon and axing the electronics "moron" salesperson what the plan is. They may have you line up in the food "puke" court. Me? I'm going to wait at Best Buy early and go from there.

good luck and keep chillin.

l Maximus l
11-13-2001, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure how Walmart handles things, but, at the Electronics Store that I work at, they are going to walk outside at 7:00am and hand over little "tickets" to the people in line while saying "You get an XBox - go ahead into the department to purchase it" and they will keep doing this until they run out of XBoxes...and to the rest of the sorry asses who got there late...they will wave and say "good bye...we're out...check in later!" (those are the most haunting words on this planet!!!) :D

shoulda2
11-13-2001, 12:41 PM
( my roommate is the hiring manager at our 24 superstore)
Here is what he basically told me. Ask a manager where they will be lining up at to recieve the x-box, don't ask an associate ask a manager in fact ask 2-3 if you can. Get there early i am goinf to be there around 5:30-6:00. Bring plenty of stuff to do as it is a long long wait till midnight. Don't expect to get the box and get out of there fast you won't be able to check out till 12:15 or so becuase they reset there systems for the new business day at 12:00.
It WILL be and HAS TO BE first come first serve there is no way wal-mart can do a lottery or something to that effect if they do report them and the store gets fined like 5,000 bucks, and you will probably get a free x-box or like a $100 gift certificate if you call it in.
Be sure to talk to 2-3 people about how many they got in count the people in line in front of you if they got 10 and you are like 40th in line just leave and save your time for another camp.
Have a backup just in case... Find another local store that will be opening like at 7am and leave your wal-mart camp for that camp. Most likely if you are there 6hrs before the POS (point of sale) you will get a box. Well at least in my town, this is a college town though and i know how crasy some other guys are getting this system they might be there at 6am waiting till 12am .. i won't put it past um. Last year the first people got in line at 4:30 pm to get a ps2 and people who got there up till like 8pm got one. Plus i asked off for work just so i could camp i figure it being a weekday alot of people will be working at night and will be unable to get there till midnightish.

l Maximus l
11-13-2001, 12:44 PM
The store that I am getting my XBox from opens at 7:00am on the 15th. I will be there in line starting at 6:00pm on the 14th. Yes, I am insane :D

Codemaster211
11-13-2001, 03:17 PM
I too am getting mine from a 24 hour wal-mart. I am going to drive by there before school and see if anyone is waiting and also at lunch to see if anyone is there yet. If there is anyone there then I am going to call in sick and start waiting.

If there is no one there then I am going to go as soon as school is out.

My Wal-Mart said that they are going to sell them in lay-away. I am going to bring about 3 books to read. Also some of my friends are going to come by and see me after they get off work. I might see if I can borrow my friends GBA.

They also said that when ps2 launched there was a guy there at 7am!!!!!!! So I suggest checking out to see when the line started at your store.

darianX
11-13-2001, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the replies....Got a strategy worked out now. Wife and I go in 2 cars to wally world around 8PM or so, check out the situation and if good, she stays. I go home and wait to see if she comes with the goods. If not, I leave and go camp at another store. Camping outside concerns me...if you don't have a friend with you, how do you go run around the back to take a leak?? I don't think my bladder can wait for 8 hours! :eek:

wingchunstan
11-13-2001, 03:41 PM
Im not going thursday to work i ask for the day off a month ago.. im getting my xbox from 24h walmart they only got 12 xbox in. im going to go by the store at 4pm when i get off ask a few questions if no one inline to buy one i go home come back around 8:30 9:00pm is i dont get one then i drive to best buy and camp out there all night long till they open..

l Maximus l
11-13-2001, 03:54 PM
Darian...dude, bring a buddy...I am. You gotta drain the main vein! Unless you want to do it while in line...if you do, atleast do it in style and whiz on a PS2 or GameCube poster :D

I am waiting for 13 hours :D I definately will need to have a buddy hold my place in line and vice-versa... This might be good to warm up, too....go to the car and thaw out by cranking the heat...oh yeah...I would start smoking cigies, too :D

shoulda2
11-13-2001, 05:08 PM
here's an idea don't eat or drink the day before...
I didn't sleep last night much in fact i was staying up on the chat system here yapping with jason and some other cool peeps. I finally went to sleep at 7:00am and had to wake up at 9:45 for class. i just got in about an hour ago from class and i got to work a short shift (my long shifts are on my mon/wed/fri class days and the weekends.) 5-9:30.
I will wake up tommorrow at 7:00 to be at class by 8:00 get out of class around 10:00 and am off wednesday ( yeah i ask off about 4 weeks ago so i could camp the x-box lame huh ?) I'll sleep after my class from about 11:00-4:00pm and be rdy to go Wal-mart at 4:30-5:00pm I will camp there and get all my homework done (that'll keep me busy for about 2hrs and then go to work on the ol' GBA i plan on playing every game i can get from my roommate and playing non stop, except to eat once my girlfriend is bringing me food around 9ish when she gets off work.
When my watch beeps 12:00 i will be listening for every sound all my senses on full alert for those lovely words "Here you go sir here is your x-box". I think i'll cry.

aronx
11-13-2001, 05:48 PM
Now that you guys mention it, I'm getting a little worried about the pee factor. I don't have a buddy thats willing to hang with me, so how am I gonna take a leak!?!?! Frank!! Guess I'll have to bring a pickle jar or something....

l Maximus l
11-13-2001, 06:05 PM
AronX...just bring a PS2 or GameCube poster to pee on :D

Stncold
11-13-2001, 06:29 PM
well i guess im gonna have to go to meijers a bit earlier than i thought. i was going to go at 11 then wait there for an hour and then get it but the way it seems i may have to go there at 5 instead. i'll have to bring a freind too. to take a break everyonce and a while and to go take a major leak once in a while. god i hope i get one on launch day!

equalgamer
11-13-2001, 06:54 PM
Now i have to change my plans before i thought of going down to my local 24 hour walmart around 9:00 and sitting there for 3 hours to get an xbox but now i see that i will have to wait from 5:00 on wards in line i am going to bring my GBA and maybe a book to keep me going and i have no friends who want an xbox so i will have to sit there with a full bladder oh this going to suck oh well at least i will get an xbox.

xboxman_1
11-13-2001, 08:03 PM
My town (onyl about 32,000 people) only has a target, k-mart, and a wal-mart. It's not a 24 hour store, so it opens at 7 a.m. on the 15th. I'm goin there at about 5a.m. Anyone think (in my small stupid town where you cant preorder) i'll be too far back in line to get one?

smack119
11-13-2001, 10:14 PM
check the hours of your wal-mart....mine isnt 24 hours...but it sarted being 24 hours for the holiday season yesterday.....so your might be too... i think all wal-marts are 24 now for holiday shopping

Robmx250
11-13-2001, 10:20 PM
What's wrong with just going the day they open and get one??? From what i'm hearing there is gonna be plenty of xbox units availible... ya gotta member only GAMERS know about this cause it's a new SYSTEM .

xxzone
11-13-2001, 10:30 PM
Um no offense, but that attitude is gonna get yourself screwed out of an xbox. Every place I called today i aske when they were selling, how many they were getting, and how may other people calle. They all said about 5 to 6 dozen, and none of them are going to get that many. Don't underestamate the power of the box if you really want one on the 15th!