PDA

View Full Version : Blinx

dcsatt
10-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Don't get caught up in the crappy camera critique. This game is truly fantastic. It takes about 1-2 hours of gameplay before you begin to realize just how much gaming genius went into it.
Clearing one level and moving on IS NOT the way this game is played; you're constantly finding yourself going back to earlier levels (after obtaining better sweepers and more time controls) in order to uncover secrets, get more gold, or gather more crystal combos.
As far as the camera -- the right thumbstick is a camera control. There's no need to work the camera constantly, just as needed. Pretty soon it becomes intuitive: a tweak here and there. I don't understand why everyone expects every new game to play just like an "old favorite." Becoming adept at new controls is part of the challenge.
Graphics are outstanding and the time control is a great (and necessary) feature.
If you've been trying to decide -- quit hesitating...go get this game.

robnyack
10-12-2002, 06:09 PM
just got it today. I've been all over the map on this one waiting for it to come out. At first, I thought "I MUST HAVE IT!!" Then a little later, I was thinkng it might not be as good as I first hoped.

Then I read IGN gave it a 8.8 and I was back to "I MUST HAVE IT!!", and then I read Gamespots review of a 6.3 and I was back to maybe i don't want it. Sheesh. Finally, I was reading the Oct issue of PLAY, and it had a really good preview of exactly what the game is, and I went and got it.

Played it for a couple hours. All I can say so far is, there is a pretty steep learning curve at first. It is going to take a couple 3 hours to fully get the controls and flow of the game down.

BUT, once you do, it appears to be a pretty cool platform game. Different than the usual, graphics are very good (not earth shattering), worlds and monsters are very unique and odd. Plus, I really like the music :)

If you like platform games, this is probably a must have. I might recommend the strategy guide.

fowlowl
10-13-2002, 01:25 AM
Yeah, it's a great game. But the camera is definitely starting to get me a little annoyed; the camera during the second boss fight made fighting the overgrown frog a huge pain in the @ss.

You have absolutely no idea how unique this game is, in both a good and bad sense. I just wish the bad guys werent so lame. It's no Mario but definitely a game you should experience.

robnyack
10-13-2002, 08:56 AM
I have to update my review. First of all, I have to change my report on the graphics. These graphics are stunning. The more you play, the more you realize how unique and creative the artists were in coming up with these worlds. Visually, this is wonderful game.

Game play: it is fairly tough. There is a steep learning curve. It took me two sessions of an hour or more before I started to fully understand the time concept, the crystals concept and tp get into the overall flow of the game. Once this happens, the game really opens up to you.

The first couple levels are fairly simple and nothing too eye-popping, but, these early levels seem to be made to ease you into the game, which is cool.

Gameplay is original. In this day and age of rip off, after rip off, after rip off, I am whole-heartedly for originality. This game is original. That might actually bother some people. If you are thinking this is Mario with cat whiskers, you are mistaken. This is a totally unique game, and you better be open to learning a new game. You don't just take Blinx and start running through levels killing every baddie and collecting every item you see. There is actually strategy involved.

Gamespy was full of **** in their review. I don't know what was up their arse when they reviewed this game. I think the reviewer was just a dope. He stated the learning curve for this game was 30 minutes. That's probably why he didn't like the game, because he never took the time to fully undestand the game.

If you are looking for something original and with unique characters and worlds, and are willing to put a little time into it, this game is for you.

I will agree about the camera.....the camera is annoying at times.

I go with the IGN rating (and several others!) of 8.8

dcsatt
10-13-2002, 11:17 AM
I will now concur on the camera critique. Although not so bad during the regular levels due to the right thumbstick adjustment, the camera was impossible during the second boss fight.

However, this game just gets deeper and deeper. I've only "completed" two levels, but I'm nowehere finished with them. I'm spending my time going back through and figuring out how to reach the secrets, get more gold, sweep heavier objects, uncover hidden areas etc. (Mastering the time control is absolutely essential)

With the overall depth and genius of this game, the camera is forgiveable. IGN is pretty much solid in their review.

Plutonium
10-13-2002, 04:32 PM
I purchased Blinx 2 days and have played the hell out of it. The camera angles get tricky sometimes but it's just a very minor problem.

I have to say Blinx is to Xbox as Mario is to Nintendo. I think he have found our new Hero!!

This game is truly fun! Once you advance a few levels and upgrade your time holders...you can truely show off some Blinx skill.

etmydust
10-13-2002, 09:19 PM
I'm sorry but Blinx is no hero. He's just a cat with a vacuum cleaner. I'd much rather have Master Chief as my Xbox "mascot".

robnyack
10-13-2002, 09:56 PM
I don't know if Blinx will become the Xbox "mascot", but, it sure is a cool game.

Master Chief, by the way is nobody's mascot! ;)

fowlowl
10-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Blinx is a really cool cat. But he doesnt really deserve to be the Xbox mascot. And while MC has been the true hero of the Xbox, I think that Conker's is the best canidate as the best Xbox mascot.

Hugh_Jass
10-14-2002, 12:49 AM
Master Chief has no personality. There is no way faceless body armor can be a mascot.

Highlite23
10-14-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by dcsatt
Don't get caught up in the crappy camera critique. This game is truly fantastic. It takes about 1-2 hours of gameplay before you begin to realize just how much gaming genius went into it.
Clearing one level and moving on IS NOT the way this game is played; you're constantly finding yourself going back to earlier levels (after obtaining better sweepers and more time controls) in order to uncover secrets, get more gold, or gather more crystal combos.
As far as the camera -- the right thumbstick is a camera control. There's no need to work the camera constantly, just as needed. Pretty soon it becomes intuitive: a tweak here and there. I don't understand why everyone expects every new game to play just like an "old favorite." Becoming adept at new controls is part of the challenge.
Graphics are outstanding and the time control is a great (and necessary) feature.
If you've been trying to decide -- quit hesitating...go get this game.

I'm glad too see someone beat me to the punch on this one. The naysayers are already condeming this game, and all ican say is, Your no gamer. If you are you'll notice there is more to this game than rushing through in 2 minutes and saying you beet the game and it sucked.
dcsatt has done a great job covering the points i was going to so there is no need to repaet them.
I'll be posting my Official review this evening.

Do yourself a favor, ignore all reviews and try it for yourself.;)

CrazyCougar
10-14-2002, 05:45 PM
Man I am really looking forward to picking this game up. Thanks guys! BTW, Master Chief is not my hero..LOL...I like Halo but it is not my favorite by far.

John002
10-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by CrazyCougar
Man I am really looking forward to picking this game up. Thanks guys! BTW, Master Chief is not my hero..LOL...I like Halo but it is not my favorite by far.

Gotta ask, what's your favorite?

robnyack
10-14-2002, 10:02 PM
Halo was a really cool game, but I have to agree, Master Chief is hardly a mascot. Hell, to be honest, I did not even know that was his name.

Faceless, emotionless, personality-less guys just don't make good mascots.

HaloMasterVI
10-16-2002, 01:38 AM
I rented Blinx last Friday and have been playing it like a maniac ever since. Right now, Im stuck on 8-2, it's getting REALLY hard. The 7th boss took forever to beat as well...

It's a good game that doesn't deserve all these bad reviews(especailly Gamespys)

I give it a 9 out of 10 from what I've played so far.

robnyack
10-16-2002, 05:27 PM
just keeps gettin' better the further I go, folks.

The worlds and graphics are EXCELLENT.

Really fun game.

John002
10-17-2002, 07:19 AM
I'm hoping to pick this one up today. It sounds like the majority really like this game after playing it awhile.
:)

Dr_J
10-17-2002, 08:29 AM
If you look at the reviews on XBA, you'll notice all the people that don't like the game complain that it's too diificult.

A game sucks becasue you suck at it?

I don't think so.

John002
10-17-2002, 12:25 PM
I bought Blinx today and love it. It is a challenge to master the camera, but it certainly is something you learn to control after a while. I think this game is a winner.
:)

EHWfedPres
10-17-2002, 01:07 PM
The graphics in Blinx are OK, not excellent. There's much better out there, but who really cares? What's good graphics with crappy gameplay? It's Blinx, thats what.

HaloMasterVI
10-22-2002, 12:31 AM
IT's a good game, but the last boss fight is really hard...also , I didnt like the way Blinx slipped and fell on the ice level at all! Was a bit too short and/or easy, but was still an incredible experiance and I was bummed that I had to bring it back to the video store.

Hugh_Jass
10-22-2002, 07:21 PM
I ordered Blinx and expect it in time for the weekend. It looks like a fun platformer with some nice gimmicks.

DarkPhoenix
10-22-2002, 10:07 PM
Blinx is probably one of the best games available on the Xbox right now...it's got everything that a good platformer would need. GameSpy's review was waaay off, giving it a 50...I would give it an 88.

Unreal
10-23-2002, 04:57 PM
I picked the game up and it is a really fun platformer. I should play some more of it but these new games are taking time away from it.