PDA

View Full Version : HDTV on XBOX and NFL2K3 looks WORSE...WHY?

Hazemonster
10-12-2002, 05:25 PM
If "HDTV" on the X-Box means "EXTRA JAGGIE" then count me out.

Here's the story...I just bought a new XBOX and the AV High Definition pack...I hooked it all up and played NFL2K3 and it looked ok. I have a Sanyo PLV-60HT Home Theater Projector (HDTV READY) I thought "THIS IS HDTV"?...

THEN I went and booted the Xbox WITHOUT a disk and set the picture FROM Normal TO Widescreen. I then told the XBOX that YES...my projector supports 480p, 720p, and 1080i. I then restarted NFL2k3 and it looked like ****!!!

HARDLY readable text, and SUPER JAGGIE players. I set the projector to ALL possible HDTV combinations (480p, 720p, 1080i, 480i) and it looked TERRIBLE!!!

I switched it BACK to NORMAL (NOT Widescreen), and told the X-BOX that NO...I don't have 480p, 720p or 1080i.

The picture looks WAY BETTER...what gives? I thought that HDTV was supposed to look better!

Anyone ELSE have this problem with either an HDTV projector or HDTV Television?

I would be curious to know, because why did I bother getting the High Definition AV Pack for a picture that looks WORSE. Hell, the other night we had it hooked up COMPOSITE and it looked better than HDTV.

Lemme know people.

THanks,

HazeMon$ter

Ninja Scroll
10-12-2002, 05:31 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm, a newbie with 1 post raggin on Xbox,...hmmm
aint da first time.:rolleyes:

Go back to your fanboy PoS2 site or something junior.
You undercover Xbox hate'n aint workin.:rolleyes:

robnyack
10-12-2002, 05:51 PM
you probably have it set up wrong somehow. I have a 46" widescreen digital with the high def AV pack and it looks great. However, it's not true HDTV. The best you can get is it displayed in 480p. 1080i (the most popular form) is TRUE HDTV. No games, as of yet are displayable in true HDTV.

I hear Sega's NBA 2k3 is displayable in 720p, but my set does not display 720p. Only the newer sets are adding the 720p display because only recently did TV makers realize that 1080i was not coming as fast as many hoped, and 720p was a more attainable goal...for now.

as for ragging on the guy for popping in and having his first post a negative xbox comment......I found these boards because of a negative xbox experience. I wanted to see if I could find other xbox users who had the same problem. I found this place, and was able to ask around to see if others had the same problem, or if they knew how to fix my problem.

kinda like this guy.

lighten up. give the guy a chance.

sheesh

BCan
10-13-2002, 09:06 AM
OK, you have a projector.....

Let's go with the simple ones...

Is it set up outside, ie further than it's intended or reccomended distance from what ever you are projecting it onto?

Hazemonster
10-13-2002, 04:10 PM
Junior? Asshat...I am HARDLY a Junior...I wasn't hatin' on the XBox you twit...I was describing a problem with HDTV and the XBOX. Why don't YOU go back and do your ***** homework asswipe. I have been playing video games since BEFORE you were born. Ever heard of Atari 2600? Intellivision? Colecovision? Sega CD? Nintendo? SuperNintendo? Playstation? Dreamcast? I HAVE HAD THEM ALL YOU LOSER! YOU SUCK, and you are what is wrong with these forums. If you don't have anything POSITIVE to offer...then shut the **** up! And take your ***gotty ass picture of a signature RYU wannabe and shove it up your little 15 year old ass!

Robnyak...thanks for the advice. I will try to troubleshoot it.

Thanks,

Haze

J Dub
10-13-2002, 04:15 PM
Ninja, I hate to say it........but you deserved the verbal lashing this time.

Hazemonster
10-13-2002, 04:17 PM
The projector is set up in my DEDICATED Home Theater. It is 14 Feet from my screen giving me about an 8 foot wide by 4 foot tall picture. I tested Star Wars Episode 1 in the XBOX and the DVD Movie looked FINE. Surround sound was perfect. When I put the game in...I was dissapointed. When I reverted BACK to NO widescreen...and told the XBOX that I did not have 480p, 720p or 1080i...the picture somehow got BETTER.

THAT is what is perplexing me. I will just have to get a different game and check it out. Since I just bought the XBOX, 4 controllers, the High DEF Pack, 6(SIX) extension cables, and the DVD kit, I was set back about $400. (That INCLUDES the NFL2K3 that I bought) I will be getting about 4 games next week, so I will just have to see what THEY look like in 480p.

Lata

shrew king
10-13-2002, 04:24 PM
I know this might be a stupid question but, you do have the HDTV box for your TV right? HDTV ready doesnt mean that the TV already has HDTV. if thats not it, then sorry i couldnt help ya out.

Ninja-there are bad things about the xbox, stop being a fanboy.

Hazemonster
10-13-2002, 05:06 PM
Shrew king...that is NOT a stupid question. I am using a Sanyo PLV-60HT Home Theater Projector that is native 16x9 Widescreen and is HDTV ready and will support signals that are 480i, 480p, 575i, 575p, 720p, 1080i (50) and 1080i (60). The projector was about $5,100 when I bought it 8 months ago. It has the ability to receive HDTV signals and display them properly. If I want to watch Satelitte in HDTV, then I would have to get an HDTV Reciever or and External HDTV box that would upsample the video coming from my existing RCA Receiver.

Keep the responses coming...I see that Ninja Scroll hasn't stuck his tiny head back in here. Sucks to be him.

Later guys.

Haze

LynxFX
10-13-2002, 08:46 PM
Hazemonster,

I also use an HD front projection system, NEC LT150. Gaming will never be the same. :D

I'm assuming that you are hooking directly from the xbox HD A/V pack to the projector using the component cables? I only ask because I'm using a component to VGA breakout cable which then goes to my projector. So trying to eliminate possibilities.

I think that your problem may lie with your configuration though. That Sanyo has a native 16x9 resolution and might be confusing the signals sent from the xbox. It also may be scaling the 480p signals to 720p in which you are getting scaling artifacts. First things first, see if your projector has any modes like "cinema" or "v-compression" or "anamorphic Squeeze". For mine, which is a 4x3 native resolution I'm using their cinema mode which squeezes the pixels down into a 16x9 ratio. So no matter what I throw at it, it will display in widescreen, either stretched or proportioned correctly depending on if the game supports widescreen or not. On the xbox it is set for widescreen (NOT letterbox). It is setup to support 480p, 720p and 1080i. This might be where it is getting you though as well. Since NFL 2K3 is a 480p game only select that and have 720p and 1080i disabled. Check it out then. Also play with the aspect and scaling features of your projector with the xbox set to 480p and widescreen. This will give you the best basis to configure your projector.

Another game you might want to try out is DOA3 which once in game is a great way to test out your widescreen settings.

Gaming in 480p should definately be a step up from 480i and once we get those 720p games coming it should be even better for us with the proper equipment.

MerimacHamwich
10-13-2002, 08:48 PM
I say if it looks jaggy it is becuase it is sega.

Koopa
10-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Keep the responses coming...I see that Ninja Scroll hasn't stuck his tiny head back in here. Sucks to be him.

just wait till he starts talking (or typing....or whatever) slang to you...i think you'll get a kick out of it:D

Hazemonster
10-15-2002, 06:18 PM
Thanks man...I will give your suggestions a try. I had my projector set to "FULL" which will automatically detect a widescreen signal and display it properly. I also have "NORMAL" which is 4:3. Again, when I had all the HD Settings on the XBOX (Widescreen..480p, 720p, and 1080i...watching Star Wars Episode one was cool (although it was in 480i...XBOX DVD Player default)...BUT when I put the game in...the 480p really was lousy. I will try setting my projector to "wide" and set the "cinema" filter off.

Thanks again.

Oh...DOA3 just came in the mail today from www.govojo.com (online XBOX rental service...Kick A$$) I will try IT in HD and let you know.

Haze