PDA

View Full Version : would u buy a gme fro 70 dollars?

odpr
10-12-2002, 06:14 PM
in case u were wandering why the xbox isn't selling that good in europe, maybe this will answer ur question, first u have to understnad that in order of the xbox to make it , it has to sell a lot of unit in other places, I know that in the states it starts to roll, but here....welp look at the subj... would y buy a game with this price tag on ? ???

Discretion
10-12-2002, 06:28 PM
Different Money Values...

Angell
10-12-2002, 06:55 PM
Id buy Halo 2 at that price..... but I bet thats not USD :)

Carnage
10-12-2002, 09:53 PM
heh for a newly released game, we in canada pay upwards of $90 :(

Afro Aura
10-12-2002, 11:03 PM
odpr stop your damn moaning the XBOX is doing well over here in the UK and I'm sure it's doing ok in other countries, so put a lid on it.
I'd pay for a game at that price if it was worth the money and as someone has said I WOULD pay that for Halo 2

borka105
10-12-2002, 11:45 PM
ODPR it's different money values.

Would you pay $10,000 for a game. Well that's the normal price for JAPAN.

God I hate ignorance.

-Borka105

xboxmaster2002
10-12-2002, 11:59 PM
well im paying 200 for steel batalion why not

Unreal
10-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Carnage
Just imagine what Steel Battalion is going to cost us :mad:

palme
10-13-2002, 02:50 AM
iv payed 700 skr for every game i own, well 699. thats the same as 70 usd.

odpr
10-13-2002, 08:50 AM
I really don’t know what is the average age of this site readers , but BELEIVE ME I DID THE MATH !!!!! before telling u how much it is, it's NOT DIFFRENT MONEY values , this is how much u would have to pay in us dollars if u were living here in Europe!!!!!

and if we are talking about money values , then not only the salary in the states is higher, but also the prices of the games is lower!!!!!!!

borka- I really don't know ur age , but unless u don't know people age, please don't call then ignorant! please, u are an ignorant for not checking that I already did the transfer to us dollars!
(and value! )

afro eura- u don't know what u are talking about, maybe in uk it's different , but u have to pay something like 50 pound ! in order to buy a game and if I am not wrong this is exactly seventy dollars!!!

odpr
10-13-2002, 08:53 AM
70 dollars isn't forty!

Tinny
10-13-2002, 09:16 AM
In the UK a [new] game costs £39.99 or £44.99. Average [Oldish] games costs about £35 give or take a few pounds. Second hand games costs £27.95. Prices from HMV and GAME.

£44.99 = $70.23
£39.99 = $62.42
£35.00 = $54.63
£27.95 = $43.63

Exchange rate of October 12. Calculations brought to you by Yahoo Finance.

PS. If somebody would care to provide the costs of games in Euros I will be happy to convert. Or you can do it yourselves. In the UK a new game costs 60 to 70 dollars. odpr is quite right in his estimates and I appreciate it if you guys stop bashing him. He's simply telling you the truth here.

borka105
10-13-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by odpr

borka- I really don't know ur age , but unless u don't know people age, please don't call then ignorant! please, u are an ignorant for not checking that I already did the transfer to us dollars!
(and value! )

No one is ripped off. MS has a reason for making a game this price or that.

They don't just make it $20 more for you and $20 less for us. That makes no sense.

So yes, there is something wrong with what you are saying. Maybe your calculations, or maybe the fact that salaries are larger where you live.

Don't you understand business?

It's common sense.

-Borka105

Tinny
10-13-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by borka105

No one is ripped off. MS has a reason for making a game this price or that.

They don't just make it $20 more for you and $20 less for us. That makes no sense.

So yes, there is something wrong with what you are saying. Maybe your calculations, or maybe the fact that salaries are larger where you live.

Don't you understand business?

It's common sense.

-Borka105

Actually Europe is getting "ripped off". Not just by MS though. Basically it's to do with the EU and American trade/shippings along with (in the UK anyways) VAT and our government. Sorry for being so vague but I can't be bothered to rant about the EU right now. Plus if I start ranting about that I will have to rant about European laws about banning stuff and PAL.

PS. Nothing is wrong with his calculations, check for yourselves and if anything, Isreal will have lower salaries than the US or UK. Oh and it isn't just common sense. I still don't understand the ins and outs of business myself. It's very confusing and sometimes world politics play apart. But usually it's about several different economies. Not that I know alot about this crap mind, I just keep an eye out.

borka105
10-13-2002, 09:48 AM
All I am saying is that there must be a reason for the $70 price tag. MS is not trying to rip off EUROPEANS.

If that's how much games cost in EUROPE, then that price tag is fair.

That's all I was trying to say. Meaning that if I lived in EUROPE I would think the $70 is fair for a game, because that's how much normal games retail for. You can't compare 1 continent to another because that's talking about totally different economies and such.

Turst me when I say that MS wants to sell as many xbox consoles and games as possible. If they could lower the prices they would.

-Borka105

Shorezy
10-13-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Carnage

Well I pay upwards of 80$ CAN, but still......:(

Tinny
10-13-2002, 10:20 AM
All I am saying is that there must be a reason for the $70 price tag. MS is not trying to rip off EUROPEANS.

If that's how much games cost in EUROPE, then that price tag is fair.

And that reason is...? I have absolutely no idea why X-Box games in Europe are so high and so far nobody has actually given me a good explanation. "There must be a reason" isn't a good explanation and trust me the price tag is not fair.

That's all I was trying to say. Meaning that if I lived in EUROPE I would think the $70 is fair for a game, because that's how much normal games retail for. You can't compare 1 continent to another because that's talking about totally different economies and such.

Erm... World Economics is about comparing to different economies together. And you can absolutely compare two different economies no matter where they are. Thats why we have different currency exchange rates and GDPs. I can compare South Africa to say India. China to Australia. No problem mate. Most of the time the USA is cheaper then the UK. I shopped in Florida (went to LA) and NYC and there are some items that are much cheaper there then over here and others which are even more expensive (a shirt for $70 for example) But I do get what you are saying. Take the London retail prices and NYCs and do general comparison. London is too expensive (and I should know since I blow too much money just going window shopping!) and generally the UK is just more expensive. Which is why I said Europe is being ripped off...

"Not just by MS though. Basically it's to do with the EU and American trade/shippings along with (in the UK anyways) VAT and our government. Sorry for being so vague but I can't be bothered to rant about the EU right now. Plus if I start ranting about that I will have to rant about European laws about banning stuff and PAL."

^ And no I really don't want to rant. I don't like typing for an hour unless I have to. MS isn't the only one doing the ripping off but they do some ripping off. How? They aren't looking to lower the prices (which they can BTW, there ain't much restricition from the EU) until Christmas this year since that will lower their profit margins significantly. And I don't think they are going to lower the prices that much even when it's Christmas. Unlike in America MS doesn't have a big X-Box user base and it needs to make its money from somewhere (in light of the recent price cuts on X-Box) and so we European have to suffer... atleast until Christmas that is (hopefully).

canadianboi3
10-13-2002, 10:46 AM
im not to upset as in canda games can cost less in canadian dollars than they do in american...for example i bought madden for 39 dollars brand new and it was about 2 weeks after launch date. I think that the high Europen prices are unfair...just because SOME Europeans have lots of money doesnt mean that all of them do...sure the queen of england has no problem paying that, but your average jo shmo can't afford a game like that. There isn't a mistake in his calcualtions either. But one thing i must clear up is the fact that Microsoft don't make the prices...on xbox.com they have the price that is suggested...the retailer is who makes the price...so don't blame Microsft for high prices...blame the store your buying your games from as they are the one's hiking up the price...Don't get me wrong, i wouldnt pay 70 usd for a game either...but it's not Microsofts fault.

odpr
10-13-2002, 06:19 PM
also there is one more thing, in the states there is second wave of games, means that there already games that u can get in a very low price in europe this kind of thing doesn't exist.

also here u have the reason why people copy, or mod thier xbox, what ever console they have in order to get games from the states..

wweomaniac
10-13-2002, 06:46 PM
whoa... this thread is outa hand.

Anyways...

Game in CDA= $58.00 USD
Game in USA= $50.00

there are a lot of factors that determine the cost of a game.
Perhaps there are tariffs... shipping charges... supply and demand... inflation.

So I think we Canadians are getting ripped off along with the europeans.

I remember when the price for a controller here was $39.88 USD, and it was only $30 in USA. it's unfair and we all have to live with it.

Thats why so many ppl turn to PC gaming. The stupid costs of games! I personally don't think games should cost more then $40 USD. They should range from $30-$40 USD.

Afro Aura
10-13-2002, 06:49 PM
also there is one more thing, in the states there is second wave of games, means that there already games that u can get in a very low price in europe this kind of thing doesn't exist.

also here u have the reason why people copy, or mod thier xbox, what ever console they have in order to get games from the states..
Look odpr..you knew the prices of the games before you bought your XBOX it's not anyones problem that you have to start making noises about the price of games now.
I don't hear any PS2 or GC owner complain about the cost of there games and I sure there in the same price bracket, all you have to do is weed out the game you don't like and buy the ones that suit your needs and next time get the name right Afro AURA

Afro Aura
10-13-2002, 06:52 PM
can I ask you wweomaniac will you be paying $50 for the games in your list of games you want?

odpr
10-13-2002, 07:05 PM
the reason in europe at least , that u don't hear the ps two guys complain is just because the price of the game is lower!!! yes u read right! lower! the new ps two games cost less then the xbox games, and the second and the third wave (among them u can find gta, crash, and many good games) cost much less then the xbox game..

I knew what is the game price before I bought the xobx. as u can read for urself in the start I gave anexplantion about why, maybe, the xbox isn't doing that well in europe..

wweomaniac
10-13-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Afro Aura
can I ask you wweomaniac will you be paying $50 for the games in your list of games you want? nope... trading.

So far... I've managed to trade
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 for
Spider-Man for
Morrowind for
The Thing for
Hitman 2

so 5 games from 1 game

and... Gunvalkyrie for
Rallisport

and 2 games from 1 game

The only games I might be getting in the list will be Unreal Championship and... Shenmue II... Halo 2... Perfect Dark o and DOOM III

borka105
10-13-2002, 07:22 PM
XBOX isn't doing bad in europe or in the USA. It is ahead of the GC by a heck of a lot.

It is close to the ps2 month to month in sales which is fine. The idea was to eliminate 1 opponent and have only 2.

XBOX is clearly beating the Gamecbe.

BUT...........................................................................................

In Japan there is a different story. Japanese are to patriotic or (w/e the hell is wrong with them) that they won't buy an xbox even if it's free or dirt cheap. That's why in Japan the Gamecube is crushing the XBOX.

.................................................................................................

Now in total worldwide sales that Gamecube and XBOX are neck and neck.

That's why now with the holiday season coming, the XBOX is releasing AAA titles week to week and will do so til probably Feb., while Gamecube owners have 3 games at max to look forward to in the next 3-4 months.

-Borka105

wweomaniac
10-13-2002, 07:37 PM
In Japan there is a different story. Japanese are to patriotic or (w/e the hell is wrong with them) that they won't buy an xbox even if it's free or dirt cheap. That's why in Japan the Gamecube is crushing the XBOX.JAPanese aren't buying the XBox b/c XBox has no good games that they can enjoy. All of our games are american. Why would anyone buya system if they can't enjoy games on it. It ain't about the price of a console... its aboot the games on the console...

smack119
10-14-2002, 12:07 AM
hey i didnt really research this or anything but did anyone think that maybe trade tariffs and shipping costs might cause the prices to be higher? if you buy a toyota in japan its going to be cheap than if you buy a toyota in the US. right???

felix_fabulous
10-14-2002, 06:33 AM
a great deal of japanese consumer items, including cars, are more expensive to buy in Japan than they are to buy outside of japan. There are exceptions, specificly the districts that sell only electronics which makes them as cheap as they can be while still turning some sort of profit... but thats a whole other story.

Australians are getting stooged not only with the price of games but with the massive delays in release compared to most of the rest of the world, and its true, Professor Allan Fells said so (head of Australian Consumer Commision) He knows his stuff, is a renowned intellectual and in his role has been given legal power to make companys accountable to the public. There was a bit of a flair in the media earlier this year about mod-chips for the PS and he came out and said that because games were so pricey and releases so delayed and the game companys along with Sony, Nintendo and Mirosoft were collectively doing nothing to sort it out, consumers should be free to mod chip thier systems. Which we more or less are. I've never heard of anyone getting busted, plenty of game shops will put in mod chips and guys that will come to your house and do it in 10 minutes advertise in the news paper.

odpr
10-14-2002, 07:19 AM
first in the states there is going to be a holiday blitz of games, nothing is going to come out in the pal version...there is no blitz here, sure there will be more games! but not as many as u guys have, did u know that eldar scroll isn't even here ?!

the pal ,and the American system , is a shoot in the leg when it comes to the Xbox , it's taking them to much time to convert them, Microsoft should have done it one zone and that's it.

second, about the dollar currency, there is no reason for Microsoft to charge more thirty dollars on every game in Europe because forty dollars it's forty dollars no matter where u look at it.

so basically Microsoft is earning another thirty dollar every game they sale in Europe! so it's like selling one game with the price of two, what letting them actually reduce the prices of games in the states.

odpr
10-14-2002, 08:31 AM
here as an example of what we were talking about.. take a look:

a Israeli store sells the following game in two prices:

1) spider man the movie- for fifty bucks. (American version. )
2) the same game- pal version (seventy buck!!! )
now here u have it why people mod their box..

I nr knew that in order to write the word Pal on the box it cost Microsoft another twenty dollars
:rolleyes:

wweomaniac
10-14-2002, 10:18 AM

I nr knew that in order to write the word Pal on the box it cost Microsoft another twenty dollars
:rolleyes: now u c... that's f'ed up.

Afro Aura
10-14-2002, 12:13 PM

:rolleyes:
so what your saying here is that a US Spiderman and PAL Spiderman in the same store are selling at this price, if thats the case get yourself a US machine
or you could get your games online it's a lot cheaper

I've got myself a US XBOX (and PAL) and I have to pay £50 as the games I buy are all imports which is fine by me.
I'm played Morrowind and it ain't special, in fact it's rather boring but thats my opinion

anyway odpr MS have to get there money from the games as they are selling the XBOX at a terrible loss I think it's about £150 per box, I suppose when they are getting a profit off the XBOX + games they may put the cost of games down but right now I think they need as much cash as they can get

and as someone has said it's really the stores that control the prices not MS

Nato King
10-14-2002, 12:37 PM
I would because I do it all the time in bermuda. My games are $79.:)

oddworld20-3000
10-14-2002, 04:07 PM
I have to Canada's money isn't worth much as U.S.A. I had to buy Hunter for 85$. The only cheap game was WWF Raw 35$ because it sucks so much.