PDA

View Full Version : Question about XBox COMPONENT VIDEO Cables. Can anyone help?

wweomaniac
10-15-2002, 07:52 PM
Well... right now, I'm using S-Video cables to hook up my XBox with my TV.

I'm getting a new TV tomorrow that's 32" and it's going in my room. It also supports COMPONENT CABLES.

Does anyone use these Component Cables? Can anyone tell me if these "Component Video Cables" really make the quality better?

They cost fricking $79.99!!!

If you don't know what the hell Component Cables are: Click Here (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=15&WLBS=fs%2Dweb6&biasid=0CE0FC86E3AC40AFBD2952F79BB5D518&sku_id=0665000FS10013379&catid=&newdeptid=15)

I'm not really planning to buy surround sound, but if I do buy this cable... I would have more incentive to buy it in the future.

LynxFX
10-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Just buy the HD pack. $20 with component cables. They will be an improvement over S-Video.

Reclaimer
10-16-2002, 12:49 AM
First, I almost bought the Monster Component Video kit. I checked out your link. It was only $40 at Target. But they had the Xbox Hi-Def kit that Lynxfx was talking about on sale for $9.50, I bought that one instead. The Hi-Def kit has a input for a fiber optic audio lead to an audio receiver if you plan to go that way. You have to buy a seperate thingie for the Monster cable to go Fiber Optic.

I switched to Component Video from S Vid. There is not much of a difference, but there is a difference. Not as much as upgrading from standard RCA to S-Vid though. But go ahead and do it if you can find a good deal. Forget paying 70 for that.

Toder
10-16-2002, 05:10 AM
hey what type of tv did you get wweomaniac? If its a RCA it will come with a V-port. its the same typ of connection that goes out from the xbox into the tv. check it out http://www.rca.com/content/viewdetail/1,,EI700359,00.html

Reclaimer
10-16-2002, 05:46 AM
I have the 36 in version of the RCA Xbox ready TV.
The VPORT Cable is not included in the deal and must be ordered through the mail from a order sheet attached to the instruction book. It's 18 dollars.

The Vport cable ( I called RCA and was told) is the same picture quality as component video connections. Vport is just another way to hook up your box. I figured I already have the Component kit, I'll wait on the Vport. I love my TV, I've had it for a few months now.

LynxFX
10-16-2002, 05:54 AM
Yes Vport is just a proprietary version of component cables. The only difference is that RCA now makes some extra dough by forcing you to buy their cables. Looks like they are taking some marketing tips from Monster Cable. How nice. :rolleyes:

AmpedRider
10-16-2002, 09:05 AM
by the hdtv pack its cheap and good quality btw i can tell diff

MerimacHamwich
10-16-2002, 12:25 PM
I went from the regular rca cables to svdeo and did not really notice any difference. Perhaps it is just my tv though. I hear that component video on an HDTV makes a 200% difference. It is suppose to look amazing. Sound, now that is what truly makes a game seem more real. With my svideo and 5.1 surround sound the xbox is amasing. It adds so much more atmosphere being able to hear grunts squeling behind you in Halo and here a storm brewing overhead in Enclave. Sound in my mind is what truly makes the diference. It can make it seem like you are right there in the action. Ofcourse seeing it happen is a must too and good video quality helps alot but I think sound makes much more of a difference. This summer I am either going to buy a new computer or a 30-40inch widescreen hdtv to go along with my 5.1 surround. :drool:

netranger6
10-16-2002, 03:12 PM
If you buy one, get a Phillips 46"-60", they rock, and have APAC. AUtomatic Phosphor Aging Compensation, basically a screen saver that shifte the image in 1cm increments thus preventing image retention. Very cool for the hard core gamer. Plus these sets rock on clarity and HD support.

wweomaniac
10-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Toder
hey what type of tv did you get wweomaniac? If its a RCA it will come with a V-port. its the same typ of connection that goes out from the xbox into the tv. check it out http://www.rca.com/content/viewdetail/1,,EI700359,00.html yeah. I know aboot the Vport thing but I heard it just like component and that the cables didn't come with it anyway either. So I wenta long and bought

http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-list.asp?h=C1_200

the 32 "... I couldn't fit anything bigger in my room :)

wweomaniac
10-16-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Reclaimer 343
I switched to Component Video from S Vid. There is not much of a difference, but there is a difference. Not as much as upgrading from standard RCA to S-Vid though. But go ahead and do it if you can find a good deal. Forget paying 70 for that. I'll take your word for it.

I don't think spending $70 is worth it sicne I already have S-video and noticed little difference from that... and seeing as I'm goign to experience even less... I guess I won't spend $70. It's $70 CDN BTW... so around $45 USD. It's also 400x whatever that means.

I saw these on ebay going for $10 with a day left to go... guess they arent in high demand. I think I'll buy one off ebay sooner or later.

anyone else have any input on these cables.

so.. I don't have an HDTV so theres no point in my getting an HDTV pack guys :p

LynxFX
10-16-2002, 06:09 PM
If your tv has component inputs then there is plenty of reason to get the HD AV pack. Just because it says 'HD' doesn't mean that is all it works with. Besides it is the same price as the S-Video Advanced AV pack. :)

Why settle for second best when you have the option for the best for the same price?

wweomaniac
10-16-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
If your tv has component inputs then there is plenty of reason to get the HD AV pack. Just because it says 'HD' doesn't mean that is all it works with. Besides it is the same price as the S-Video Advanced AV pack. :)

Why settle for second best when you have the option for the best for the same price? oh... I didn't know that :)

LynxFX
10-16-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
oh... I didn't know that :)

That's why we're here. :)

Reclaimer
10-16-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
I'll take your word for it.

I don't think spending $70 is worth it sicne I already have S-video and noticed little difference from that... and seeing as I'm goign to experience even less... I guess I won't spend $70. It's $70 CDN BTW... so around $45 USD. It's also 400x whatever that means.

I saw these on ebay going for $10 with a day left to go... guess they arent in high demand. I think I'll buy one off ebay sooner or later.

anyone else have any input on these cables.

so.. I don't have an HDTV so theres no point in my getting an HDTV pack guys :p

Oh I didn't notice the Canadian Exchange rate. I almost choked when I saw the price. 45 is about average for the Monsters in the US. If you can get the Monsters for a deal, then by all means go for it. If not, you'll be just as happy with the Hi-Def kit which is considerably cheaper normally.

MerimacHamwich
10-16-2002, 08:37 PM
Didn't get an hdtv? I hate most tv's these days, scan lines are way to huge.