PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading XBOX

Chaotic
11-13-2001, 06:33 PM
Anyone know if its possiable to add more DDR memory and add a bigger HD???

Also if this is possiable what type of format does the HD use?

any help is appreciated.

I personally heard memory can be upgraded but thats it.

Not even sure how much it will go up to.

:confused:

Jason1010
11-13-2001, 06:42 PM
i dont think so... especially since i heard rumor a long time ago that if u open the xbox the motherboard snaps... besides, y would u want to??? all the games will run just fine on the system as is since that is what they are designed for

Chaotic
11-13-2001, 06:44 PM
Well, i myself am a Memory Freak and HD freak.

In my personal computer and my server i have a total of 6 gig of Ram DDR ECC 2100.

I cant get enough.

I also have over 460 gig of HD between both systems.

I just love it.

But your right, the games do run fine and really doesnt need to be upgraded.

Hugh_Jass
11-14-2001, 09:13 AM
If the XBox has a fixed memory limit (meaning no virtual memory) then I doubt adding RAM would have any effect because developers will be forced to work until the RAM as specified in the stock box.

In fact, adding more RAM could fry your XBox because more RAM = more heat and the stock cooling system might not be up to the task.

However, I do think there would be significant advantages to upgrading the hard drive. I doubt there are any size restrictions there. If MS is encouraging us to rip CDs and make our own soundtracks then I can see burning up 8G in short order.

However, I won't be the guinea pig on this issue. I'm sure someone will figure out how to do it (and if it's safe to do it) and post the results on the web.

Chaotic
11-14-2001, 11:09 AM
I totaly agree with you, i probably will be the first guinee pig to test the HD.

I have to first find out what type of format they are using if its fat, ntfs or some type of other format.

I have already upgraded my Tivo HD to a 60 gig.

I will most likely customize my cooling system and figure out what else i can do.

ill let you know my results.

Hugh_Jass
11-14-2001, 04:41 PM
Probably the easiest way to do that is to rip the HD out of the XBox and attach it to a WinXP or 2000 box. That will tell you the file system used.

Hopefully, they haven't developed a proprietary file system just for the XBox. And hopefully they haven't done anything tricky to prevent like-minded people from upgrading their hardware.

mojo__31
11-14-2001, 05:01 PM
The biggest question in my mind is this. Your 90 day warranty is up, hard drive dies, can you put another hard drive in and get it working, or do you have to send it in and pay for repair?

Chaotic
11-14-2001, 07:32 PM
Well for some reason i think microsoft would be stupid to develop some type of diffrent format, due to the fact that xbox is so easy to develop for, im not sure if a new file system would make it more diffcult.

Anyways we will see, im going to try it out.