PDA

View Full Version : The Surprise Hit for the XBOX has arrived (DEATHROW)

borka105
10-19-2002, 09:39 AM
After reading 7 or so reviews that have given this game a 9 or above, I knew it had something special.

So after waiting for the "BIG BOYS" to review the game....... IGN just posted their review.

The Verdict: a 9.3!!!!

"DEATHROW IS MUST-OWN THIS HOLIDAY SEASON" -IGN

'NOUGH SAID

-Borka105

AmpedRider
10-19-2002, 11:35 AM
cool

Xbox Owner
10-19-2002, 11:56 AM
lol, i was going to say cool too..:D

I know even heard of this game..what's it about?:confused:

Brevity
10-19-2002, 12:14 PM
WHY, you got to give more to the point info on this game. I read a thread that said its going to be a system link game SO xbc will support it??????? Also, what type of game is it? RPG, FPS, ACTION, FIGHTER?

xboxmaster2002
10-19-2002, 12:25 PM
its like a violent sports game wher you have a team of 3 i belive and theres a disk and you have yo get it in the other teams goal theres a lot of stuff to unlock 130 charactors total 32 arenas and much more.. im picking this game up on the 22nd

EHWfedPres
10-19-2002, 12:56 PM
Humm, Deathrow has arrived?

*checks date*

Nope, not the 23rd yet, try again.

Although the game will kick such a huge áss.

http://deathrow.ubi.com

EHWfedPres
10-19-2002, 01:08 PM
Can soneone who has IGN Insider please copy and paste the review here? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

MerimacHamwich
10-19-2002, 01:17 PM
Is it out? I am supposed to be getting it within a couple of days it comes out.

EHWfedPres
10-19-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Is it out? I am supposed to be getting it within a couple of days it comes out.

No its not out, it comes out the 23rd...or at leats it ships on the 22nd, so it should be in your stores the next day.

Can soneone who has IGN Insider please copy and paste the review here? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

KviK
10-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Why would anyone buy this unless there is always friends over ? This game doesn't support live. Booooo urns.

EHWfedPres
10-19-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by KviK
Why would anyone buy this unless there is always friends over ? This game doesn't support live. Booooo urns.

Halo dosent support XBL, so why did everyone buy that? get you head out of your anus and think clearly.

KviK
10-19-2002, 01:37 PM
Because halo has single player. LOL this game isn't meant single player, the splitscreen is bad in deathrow, you need a big tv or else its gonna suck.

I know you're next reply will be flaming or whatever, you're 1 of those people who will try anything to defend their game.

EHWfedPres
10-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by KviK
Because halo has single player. LOL this game isn't meant single player, the splitscreen is bad in deathrow, you need a big tv or else its gonna suck.

I know you're next reply will be flaming or whatever, you're 1 of those people who will try anything to defend their game.

I think you and some other people need to realize that not every multiplayer game will support Xbox live, but that does not mean it will suck. I suppose if there was no XBL that you would like this game more?

Oh yeah, Halo's single player is pathetic.

xboxmaster2002
10-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Presentation
Tons of teams, arenas, players, fighting moves, and curse words. Could have used some bigger end-game celebrations and fanfare, but solid overall. 9.0

Graphics
Great lighting and amazing textures blend with fluid animations and some smrt arena designs. 8.0

Sound
Great use of 5.1 and of course, all those swear words. Broken bones, the F-word, and customizable soundtracks. Yum! 9.0

Gameplay
Easy controls and subtle depth that will have you playing and learning for weeks and even months. If only there was online play. 9.0

Lasting Appeal
A ton to unlock. Just the single-player alone will take a serious chunk of hours. Throw in a solid multiplayer experience and this game may never end. 10.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.3

EHWfedPres
10-19-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by xboxmaster2002
Presentation
Tons of teams, arenas, players, fighting moves, and curse words. Could have used some bigger end-game celebrations and fanfare, but solid overall. 9.0

Graphics
Great lighting and amazing textures blend with fluid animations and some smrt arena designs. 8.0

Sound
Great use of 5.1 and of course, all those swear words. Broken bones, the F-word, and customizable soundtracks. Yum! 9.0

Gameplay
Easy controls and subtle depth that will have you playing and learning for weeks and even months. If only there was online play. 9.0

Lasting Appeal
A ton to unlock. Just the single-player alone will take a serious chunk of hours. Throw in a solid multiplayer experience and this game may never end. 10.0

Thankx man :)

But could you post the complete review?

xboxmaster2002
10-19-2002, 02:15 PM
check your PM in a sec

borka105
10-19-2002, 02:25 PM
can you send it to me too?

thanks
borka105

btw, the person who said this game has no single player.. YOU'RE wrong, ign said "the singple player alone will take a chunk of hours", god I hate when people just post stuff without doing the research.

EHWfedPres
10-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by borka105
can you send it to me too?

thanks
borka105

btw, the person who said this game has no single player.. YOU'RE wrong, ign said "the singple player alone will take a chunk of hours", god I hate when people just post stuff without doing the research.

I believe the person was trying to say that the game was not meant to have a strong single player, and that it was meant for multiplayer...kind of like Halo.

borka105
10-19-2002, 05:15 PM
I know, and he is wrong. The game has a very strong single player. 'Nough so that you can never play multiplayer with this title, but be satisfied enough with only the single player.

-Borka105

Jay_Fro
10-19-2002, 07:19 PM
IGN gave Deathrow a 9.3 so I'm getting curious about the title now, but damn if this isn't going to cost me even more cash. Thank god for EB and the 14 day policy they have. I just purchased NBA 2K3 to go along with NFL2K3 and Sega GT. I was planning on waiting for Shenmue 2 on 10/30, Metal Gear Solid: Substance 11/6/02, and Splinter Cell 11/12/02. All of those titles are on my *must have* list before Christmas, but Deathrow is starting to look like a possible purchase.

VISA is my friend!

EHWfedPres
10-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Fro
IGN gave Deathrow a 9.3 so I'm getting curious about the title now, but damn if this isn't going to cost me even more cash. Thank god for EB and the 14 day policy they have. I just purchased NBA 2K3 to go along with NFL2K3 and Sega GT. I was planning on waiting for Shenmue 2 on 10/30, Metal Gear Solid: Substance 11/6/02, and Splinter Cell 11/12/02. All of those titles are on my *must have* list before Christmas, but Deathrow is starting to look like a possible purchase.

VISA is my friend!

Dont forget about MechAssault and Unreal Championship!

Deathrow has been on my must-buy list for quite some time now...but then again, Enclave was too and that was a huge let-down...

Jay_Fro
10-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

Dont forget about MechAssault and Unreal Championship!

Deathrow has been on my must-buy list for quite some time now...but then again, Enclave was too and that was a huge let-down...

I'm not big on FPS games, but HALO got me for the co-op mode. Unreal Championship won't be coming home with me, and Mech Assault doesn't appeal to me either. Thank god because if I did buy those games that would be another $100 spent on videogames before Christmas. :eek:

I'm in need of a good fighting game though, and Kakuto Chojin is right around the corner, initial previews haven't been very good so maybe I'll wait a bit longer. DOA3 wasn't a keeper for me after 4 months.

I'm curious how good the single player mode will be in Deathrow, guess I might have to purchase to find out!

X-Ray
10-20-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by borka105
After reading 7 or so reviews that have given this game a 9 or above, I knew it had something special.

So after waiting for the "BIG BOYS" to review the game....... IGN just posted their review.

The Verdict: a 9.3!!!!

"DEATHROW IS MUST-OWN THIS HOLIDAY SEASON" -IGN

'NOUGH SAID

-Borka105

Yeah, this is a surprise success for sure. I thought I would rent it at most, but now I'm going to have to reconsider.

borka105
10-20-2002, 09:30 AM
bump. Just want to get the word out to everyone!

-Borka105

Arven
10-20-2002, 11:40 AM
What's the game like? I'm trying to get a picture. Is there another game to compare it to? I'm getting the sense that it's like ultra-violent hockey, with three players per team. ?

dougi3000
10-20-2002, 11:45 AM
this game is like Hyperblade on the PC. If you don't know what hyperblade is.. then i guess you are quite young. :)

4 players per team, you have a disk, and you pass it around and shoot for the goal. You can beat the crap out of your oppenents too, but watch out for friendly fire. :P

studepaber
10-20-2002, 11:53 AM
I've been pumped for this game since I first heard about it, can't wait till Wednesday!!

MerimacHamwich
10-20-2002, 12:21 PM
The single player actually was meant to be a big part of the game. You can trade and sell players. You can also upgrade stats and players get injured. There is alot more to this game than most people think. Just look at previews of it at IGN (www.ignxbox.com) or xbox.com (www.xbox.com) or any other website. Here is a decent prevew of it at IGN. ! (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/372/372859p1.html)

EHWfedPres
10-20-2002, 12:47 PM
I still didnt get that review in my e-mail yet...

Bigwig
10-20-2002, 02:37 PM
will this be on Xboxlive??

gula
10-20-2002, 03:02 PM
Screw it, I'll just post it since you people didn't get a PM from the guy yet.

October 18, 2002 - Let's get something straight from the get-go -- Deathrow has nothing to do with prison life or a record label. What is Deathrow? That's a tough one, because the game's difficult to define. A futuristic competitive smack-down match with the essence of a Midway sports title but the attitude and ferocity of the most brutal of fighters, SouthEnd's Deathrow from Ubi Soft is a unique title that is a blast to play. This is a vision of the sports future, where rabid crowds gather around massive public viewing screens to watch tough-as-nails competitors beat each other to a bloody pulp while trying to get a glowing disk through a hoop. With non-stop fast-paced action, an endless stream of curse words, and some fantastic arenas, Deathrow manages to be one of the best sports and fighting games on Xbox.

Features

Unique sport of the future
Violent, filled with foul language, and you can give folks the finger
18 teams, 150 players, and 32 arenas -- yowsa!
System link allows you to connect up to eight systems for a massive gameplay experience
Adjust your strategy on the fly
Deep career mode unique to each team
Customizable soundtracks
5.1 Dolby Digital
Only on Xbox

Gameplay

The game of the future is not actually called Deathrow, as the game title might lead you to believe. It's actually called Blitz. Broadcast by Blitz Television, massive crowds gather to watch their favorite teams go at each other. The rules of Blitz are pretty simple:

Each match lasts four rounds
There are four players to a team
Substitutions can be made in between rounds
Points are earned by throwing the Blitz disc through an opponents goal (a hoop situated about eight feet above the ground)
The team with the most points at the end of the fourth round wins
There is no overtime -- The challenger loses to a tie
Punching, kicking, stomping, throwing, bashing, abusing, and bloodying the opponent is not only legal, it's recommended
If an entire team is knocked out, they are disqualified

Blitz arenas vary in size and shape. About half look like your standard sports arenas for the most part, but the other half (there's 32 total) have dips, curves, corridors, and low ceilings to add an extra dimension to the game. While one strategy may work for a long and unobstructed stadium like the one the Blitzers call home, you have to play a different game in the mines where the Crushers play host.
And then there are your teams. Just like any other sports game, some teams are good at defense, others feature speed, and then there are those that play like Paul Newman's Chiefs and just beat the snot out of their opponents. Players have different skill sets, so you need to know who's your best shooter and who's your muscleman and use them accordingly. Each team has an overall background and some sort of theme. There are the Sea Cats, quick female players with European accents. The Demons, who are incredibly strong and often speak in a demonic language though occasionally offer quaint phrases like "&$^%hole!" And the Marines, who are all dressed in fatigues and offer military catch-phrases along with plenty of homegrown curse words. With eighteen teams in all, it would have been easy to see a lot of similar characters, but in fact, each team is highly unique and easily distinguishable.

Controls are relatively simple and can be learned over the course of a single match. Every button is important, but you don't need to hit anything so quickly that it becomes daunting. The face buttons punch, kick, block, and jump, while the left thumbstick moves your player and the right thumbstick can be used to strafe. The White Button changes to another player and the Black Button gives a taunt (there's a variety of these and you have to love watching your fave player show the opposition who's number one). The Left Trigger is a modifier and allows you to do dives, slide-tackles, and grabs with the face buttons. The Right Trigger points you towards the disc (on defense) or the opponent's goal (on offense). A rookie discounts this function, but you will have a much easier time with Deathrow using it. When you see the disc loose on the floor you can easily miss it with a dive, because it's hard to be exact when aiming your body. However, if you use the Right Trigger, you'll be pointed right at the disc when you dive. The same goes when shooting at the goal. It's hard enough getting through that tiny hoop, you don't need to add further difficulty by being aimed in the wrong direction. The controls are solid, though sometimes the camera swings a bit wildly and makes it seem like your character isn't moving as tightly as one might like.

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/deathrowrev_1.jpg

Uh, so what was Blitz again?

Blitz mixes several sports games into one. This gives it a sense of familiarity (there's an arena, crowds, scoring, and people trying to stop you), but it's quite unique from most sports experiences. For one, you never even have to touch the disc the entire time you're playing the game. If you want to focus on taking out opponents, go for it. One strategy is to occupy the goalie with your fists while a buddy tries to score on the open goal. Characters have health and by beating on them you can lower health marks. Get completely rid of a player's health marks and you can knock them out of the game. It's not as easy as it sounds, but you'll certainly see it happen (and have it happen to you) regularly.

Don't think the game is just a beat-fest, because it's not as one-dimensional as that. In fact, Deathrow hides a surprising amount of gameplay depth. The physical side is as much a part of the game as it is in hockey or football, but you can't score just by smacking people upside the head. Passing is simple, as is shooting at the goal. There are pass and shoot lines, showing you the trajectory of your shot or pass. This helps a lot with aiming shots, because an open goal doesn't necessarily mean an automatic score. Players mimic real life, so as they move, breathe, or come under durress (from other players) their aim will shift. It's a small goal and it's easy for a shot to hit off the rim.

Speaking of the disc, it's an energized round hoop that bounces off walls and other players. By holding the shooting button, you can charge the disc for a more powerful shot. As it charges, it glows green. Released at the right moment, you'll get a Deathrow, a shot so powerful it knocks down the goalie for a good handful of seconds. But hold it too long and the disc will overload and zap your player. This is probably a good time to mention that there's friendly fire. Misaim and hit your buddy and he will be napping on tile for a while. That friendly fire goes for every aspect of the game, so if you try for a slide tackle and your buddy gets in the way, he'll be kissing floor.

Deathrow offers some serious attitude and takes a very gritty view of sports. Drugs are used to enhance player performance, some of which is obtained through sketchy back-channels. You earn credits by beating opponents into submission, wowing the crowd with violent or skillful play, and, of course, scoring goals. A momentum bar shows how much the crowd is behind you. Get the bar full and your team will catch fire. As you play, power-ups (health, credits, and attribute boosts) respawn continually. These affect the player who grabs them and not the whole team, so it's tough to totally dominate a game just because of some power-ups. Those power-ups are minor compared to the rest of the game.

gula
10-20-2002, 03:03 PM
Strategy beyond the violence
At its core, Deathrow is a game about brutalizing your opponents to help assist in scoring goals. That doesn't mean the game is simply a button-mashing beat-em-up. Teamwork can be very important here. Yeah, teamwork is supposed to be important in every sports game, but usually it can never be properly represented. Most basketball games turn into superstar-fests where one player dominates. And often in football games, play turns into a 'see how many yards my running back can gain' mentality or a 'Terrell Owens can always beat you deep' crutch. But Deathrow plays a bit more like hockey or soccer. You'll need to pass, protect, and clear paths for your teammates.
In fact, every player has a teamwork rating. This affects the AI for the team you are playing on. When the rating is low, you may find some AI players standing around, not going after a loose disc, waiting for someone to get them involved. You'll also notice these folks won't come bail you out when you're being gang banged by three of the opposition. At first it may actually **** you off, but stick with the game, raise your teamwork ratings and you'll see your team react intelligently to the plays in the arena.

For general strategy, Deathrow has on-the-fly play calling with the D-Pad. Press left or right to quickly cycle through the five choices: Physical offense, quick offense, neutral, defense, and defend the goal. To succeed against tougher opponents, you'll need to adjust your play-style to the game situation and also based on your team's abilities. If you're a weaker team, for example, playing physical may not be the brightest idea. See, the opponent AI isn't just intelligent about playing the game, AI players can get ****ed off too.

One of the nicest aspects of Deathrow is the large amount of action away from the disc. This is something you see a lot in real hockey, where players clear a path near the goal or try and occupy defensemen by pinning them to the boards. But when playing a hockey game, you are generally the one with the puck, not the one clearing a path for a teammate. In Deathrow you will often be the one making space or keeping someone occupied with your boot in their ass.

Prepare for Conquest

Games featuring this level of violence are often best left as multiplayer experiences, but Deathrow bucks the trend with a deep, fun, and addictive single-player mode. Choosing one of thirteen teams (only four are available at first), work your way through the ranks, building your team up as you attempt to become the ultimate Blitz champion.

You start off in the Rookie Division, weak and with only four teammates. This means, at first, you won't be able to substitute in between rounds of a competition. You live and die by those four players. Ranked fourth in the division, you must challenge and defeat the third-ranked team, then number two, and final beat number one. By defeating the top-ranked team, you can move on to the next division. However, if you're interested in earning more cash, you can continue to challenge the other teams in your division. Once you move on, you're not gonna have a chance to beat up on the Blitzers again.

After each match, you'll have the opportunity to train your players. It costs credits and players earn small stat boosts. But the more interesting aspect is the messages you receive. Messages are actually events that happen to your team. There's no cut-scenes, just a graphic and some text, still these randomized events add a WWE element to Deathrow. You'll get offers from other players who want to join your team (if you can pay the right price) and offers for training sessions to help teach you more aspects of the game. These are nothing compared to the majority of great events. You may be offered some drugs that fell off a truck. "We're not sure exactly what they'll do, but it could be good." Take the chance, pay the price, and have one of your players become a guinea pig. Another will offer you the chance to bet on your next match. But it's not just a "win or lose" proposition. Yes, you can go the safe route and bet you'll win, and hey, if you do you'll double whatever you bet. But if you feel like taking a chance, you can bet you'll win by at least five points or that you will win by exactly two goals. It's your money and your choice.

The events don't end there. One event has your manager, strung out on drugs, giving you cr6000 without realizing what he's just done. Things go the opposite way sometimes too as you can get caught with the owners twin daughters. Pay up or your family members will be identifying what's left of your face at the morgue. One of the funniest is being voted "Most Likely to be Killed Off" by the audience. Hey, it comes with a cr2000 purse. Cha-ching!

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/deathrowrev_2.jpg

These events are randomized and many are team-specific, so playing the game with a team twice will actually be different. Playing Conquest also earns you Unlock Credits, which can be used to unlock art and other goodies. And as you progress through, you'll unlock new arenas and eventually new teams. Each of the thirteen main teams has ten total players (meaning you unlock six players for each team). There are five other teams that only feature four players. These are, essentially, "nostalgic" teams like you might unlock in a standard sports game.

Conquest mode is a fantastic single-player experience and will keep you occupied for weeks as you try and play through as all thirteen teams. A true workout. And, believe it or not, it's fun to go back through as the same team a second time. The interface for Conquest is simple and may even seem simplistic, but it serves its purpose of bridging the gap between matches. Otherwise it'd feel too much like a fighting game where all you do is progress from one fight to the next. Oh, and if you want, you can bring up to three buddies in to play on your team anytime you want in Conquest mode. The single-player mode can be multiplayer, just like that.

Multiplayer

Deathrow is victim to early development. Had the game development started a bit later, this one might have been geared towards Xbox Live. As it is, Deathrow offers four-player split screen and system link. You can go crazy and hook up eight systems with a single player on each and play a fully manned game with no split-screens or slowdown. That is the kind of honey bees love to buzz around.

The multiplayer games seem a bit more chaotic than single-player matches, but it's always fun playing with other people. Of course, you'll want to have a lot of the teams and arenas unlocked, which is why you need to play the smack out of Conquest mode. Live would have been the butter on some tasty toast, but even with just split-screen and system link available, Deathrow is a great, fast, and filthy multiplayer experience.

Two different views

Before each single game match and at the start of Conquest mode, you'll be asked to pick between Sports and Action views. The Sports view is a pulled back, stable camera. You stay away from the action, but it's also a lot easier to see what you're doing and you don't feel like you're on a roller coaster ride gone haywire. Action mode puts you right behind the character you're playing. The camera swings quickly with every movement. You see a lot more detail, but your focus is clearly on the person you're controlling, limiting your field of vision.

While Sports view is nice, it's a bit too drawn back. But the thing that kills it is that you cannot play any of the enclosed (and more interesting) arenas that are unlocked later in the game. Instead, you are confined to the more bland arenas. This affects Conquest mode, since you won't be able to see a lot of the cool arenas you're supposed to be unlocking. This view, then, is only for the times you want to play a single game on one of the few courses that supports this view.

Action view, though, can feel a bit wild and takes some time to get used to. The good news is, you can use it for any arena and you can set the camera in the option menu to be pulled back slightly, giving you a better view. When using Action view, you'll have to use the Right Trigger more often to locate the disc and goal. But, this is really the only view to use if you want to see your player flipping people off.

The big drag is that you cannot change your view once you've started Conquest mode, so test each out and see which is right for you before taking it to the single-player mode.

gula
10-20-2002, 03:04 PM
This game has naughty language!
Deathrow is rated M for a reason. It's violent (cracked bones, blood splatters, and backbreakers), full of curse words (oh my virgin ears!), and has plenty of drug and sex content (much like my mother's diary). This game is absolutely not for children, but is absolutely right for adults who act like children. Originally touted as having "realistic mature language," it was hard to understand just what that meant. Now it's clear. Many games with bad words just sort of throw them out. But Deathrow makes cursing an art form. Whether using the taunt button or just playing the game without nary a Black Button press, you will hear endless streams of four-letter words.
Not only are these funny, but it's exactly what you'd expect people to say when playing a game where the secondary objective is breaking every bone in your opponent's body. Some swears are simple, like "A-hole!" (except they fill in a few letters where the - is... see, that's what makes it like real cussing instead of our pseudo-swearing). Others are more complex like, "Prepare to be f*!" and "It's gonna take a lot more of you to avoid this ass-whoopin'!" Every team has different taunts. Some are shared among all, but many are unique to the team. Flipping the bird is common, as is suggesting another player's had sexual relations with his mother. Some of the best come with teams, like the Demons, that speak another language but are clearly swearin in some foreign tongue. Yeah, you dunno what that bloke with the horns is saying, but it sure would get his mouth washed out with soap in my house.

Best use of endless cursing in a game... ever.

Final tidbits
Deathrow offers plenty of customization, from rule changes to gameplay alterations. Though there aren't any sliders, there's enough here to play the game you want to play. Along with this, Deathrow has some nice touches of the future. Like the movie Robocop, Deathrow offers some humorous commercials (in the form of billboards) during load times. But the ads are kind of small and those without a big screen TV won't be able to read the funny small print.

While there are no current plans to offer downloadable content forDeathrow, SouthEnd has left the option open. There is an option to Upgrade, which would download content onto your hard drive. SouthEnd isn't sure if they will use the feature, but they wanted to leave the option open. Here's hoping we can download new teams and curse words come January.

Beyond that, it's nice to see a game packed with unlockables. You start off with just four teams, one arena, and sixteen players. When everything is unlocked, you'll have 18 teams, 150 players, 32 arenas, a multidisc option (more than one viable disc in the arena), Extreme difficulty, and a bunch of concept art. This baby is good till the last drop.

Graphics
Let's get the problems out of the way first. Teams have uniforms in Deathrow (each team has two color schemes) and often it's hard to distinguish everyone on the fly. The only direct indicator of who a character is comes when you're controlling them. Their name is displayed in the bottom left corner, but that only helps for the person you're controlling -- what about the other guys? There should either be names or numbers on the unis or names floating at the feet of the players so you know who is who instantly. There are characters that look very different from one another, but every team has a couple of people who look far too similar. This matters because as your character grows, you're going to need to be able to identify your sharpshooter from your muscleman. The other problem is the Action view camera, which is far too loose and gives a feeling of instability.

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/deathrowrev_3.jpg

Those two issues aside, Deathrow looks great with some phenomenal textures and some solid lighting effects. Each character consists of 55 bones (some of them clearly breakable) and over 7000 polygons, making for some fluid looking and realistic beings. Though the action happens fast, if you pay attention, you'll see players blink and change facial expressions. Watch a character whose leg has been crippled and you'll see the pained expression on their face.

The arenas are a great variety of well-designed and well conceived art. From arenas built over lava to the interior of a mine to an amazingly detailed dojo, the textures are some of the best on Xbox yet. Unfortunately, the highly reflective surfaces don't do real-time reflections. Instead of seeing players reflected in the shiny floors, you just get shadows. Ah, well, can't have it all.

The animations are fluid and the game never slows down despite the frantic pace. There are over 800 animations with each team having unique attacks, including some truly great grabs (gotta love the backbreaker). While it doesn't have the best animations, textures, or lighting of any Xbox game, it does all three well, which pushes it to a high level of excellence.

Sound
The 5.1 Dolby Digital is top-notch. You are truly brought into the arena, with the pumped-in crowd noises swarming you. The curses and comments come from all speakers, giving the feeling of true immersion. From the smacks of fist on face to the chilling crack of bones, the sound effects are perfect. And, of course, there are endless amounts of curse words. Every team has different accents and sometimes different languages, making them feel unique.

While there are only a handful of instrumental tracks, you can rip your own music and create a custom soundtrack. You'll want to do this because, while the light techno-beats aren't bad, there just aren't many offered. Bring in your own tracks and have yourself a grand time.

Closing Comments

Deathrow does something most games of this type can't manage -- it's its own sport. While Deathrow can be likened to other sports, there's no direct comparison. The varied arenas are great, the gameplay is challenging and the Conquest mode will have you playing Deathrow into the chilly winter. For a game that's gotten little press, this could be a sleeper hit. It's certainly a sleeper in terms of quality. My only hope is Deathrow does well enough to merit a sequel that uses Xbox Live. For a game that's probably meant to be a multiplayer smacktalk fest, I've found the Conquest mode to be far more interesting. I'm hooked and I won't stop playing for a long, long time.
What is Deathrow? Pure joy.

-- Hilary Goldstein

Presentation

Graphics

Sound

Gameplay

Lasting Appeal

Enjoy! :D

gula
10-20-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Bigwig
will this be on Xboxlive??

No this isn't. But this game does have System Link play. :D

If this game would have came out later, it would be Xbox Live Compatible.

EHWfedPres
10-20-2002, 03:47 PM
Thankx gula, but i talked to the guy on aim an he sent it to me an a document file thingey, so i deal it already, but the pics are nice. ;)

I also noticed that they didnt say what button was used to shoot or pass, unless I just missed it...

Anyway, 2 days (not counting today) until this game hist shelves (23rd if all goes right), and im getting it asap, im waking up and going straight to EB and buying this game.

gula
10-20-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
Thankx gula, but i talked to the guy on aim an he sent it to me an a document file thingey, so i deal it already, but the pics are nice. ;)

I also noticed that they didnt say what button was used to shoot or pass, unless I just missed it...

Ahhh, oh well. I just wanted everyone to see it. :D

I didn't get a chance to read all of it, so I don't know about the passing/shooting.

Good luck on getting a good job. :D

But, I did a search for pass and I found:

"Passing is simple, as is shooting at the goal. There are pass and shoot lines, showing you the trajectory of your shot or pass. This helps a lot with aiming shots, because an open goal doesn't necessarily mean an automatic score. Players mimic real life, so as they move, breathe, or come under durress (from other players) their aim will shift. It's a small goal and it's easy for a shot to hit off the rim."

EHWfedPres
10-20-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by gula

Ahhh, oh well. I just wanted everyone to see it. :D

I didn't get a chance to read all of it, so I don't know about the passing/shooting.

Good luck on getting a good job. :D

But, I did a search for pass and I found:

"Passing is simple, as is shooting at the goal. There are pass and shoot lines, showing you the trajectory of your shot or pass. This helps a lot with aiming shots, because an open goal doesn't necessarily mean an automatic score. Players mimic real life, so as they move, breathe, or come under durress (from other players) their aim will shift. It's a small goal and it's easy for a shot to hit off the rim."

Im guessing one of the face buttons is used to pass or shoot...they said they were used for punch, kick, jump, and block, so maybe block is shoot like it is in NHL Hitz, who knows, but I remember seeing a video of a guy defending himself while he had the disc, so its probably not punch or kick...or maybe since it's the right trigger to bring up the trajectory lines, being certain lines are different colors, then you might have to hold the trigger and then pass to the person...say if the line from you to the person is green, you would hit A, and maybe the shoot line will be blue or red, so you would hit X or B...i dunno, sounds logical tho.

Brutal Grace
10-20-2002, 07:59 PM
Thanks, gula!

The developer SouthEnd Interactive has set up Deathrow discussion forums at their site, if anyone is interested.

http://www.southend-interactive.com/

gula
10-20-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Brutal Grace
Thanks, gula!

The developer SouthEnd Interactive has set up Deathrow discussion forums at their site, if anyone is interested.

No problem Brutal Grace. :)

Dutch_72
10-20-2002, 09:23 PM
This game sounds great!! ... except for one thing -- the swearing. I have young ears around the house, and I really don't want my son's first words to be swear words. Anyone know if there is an option to turn off the vulgarities? The comment in the review about the lack of sliders and such leads me to believe no... Anyone know?

Thanks,
Dutch

EHWfedPres
10-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Dutch_72
This game sounds great!! ... except for one thing -- the swearing. I have young ears around the house, and I really don't want my son's first words to be swear words. Anyone know if there is an option to turn off the vulgarities? The comment in the review about the lack of sliders and such leads me to believe no... Anyone know?

Thanks,
Dutch

I dont know if you can turn off profanity...but it certainly aint good to sent your kid to pre-skool and have him yelling d*ckhead or something...but they should have some volume controls, most games do...maybe turn everything but the music or sound effects down, but im not sure...i dont want my parents walking by when someone calls someone else a sh*thead or something...

Dutch_72
10-20-2002, 11:34 PM
Ack, found the answer to my own question. There is no option to turn off the swearing :(

I found it at the SouthEnd site:

Look in the forums under the General Discussions folder. It is in the thread called "Why no Live =("

Too bad, I probably won't get this game because of this :(

Dutch

EHWfedPres
10-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Dutch_72
Ack, found the answer to my own question. There is no option to turn off the swearing :(

I found it at the SouthEnd site:

Look in the forums under the General Discussions folder. It is in the thread called "Why no Live =("

Too bad, I probably won't get this game because of this :(

Dutch

Eh, just play it at night or when the kid's in skool or something...

HaloMasterVI
10-21-2002, 05:12 AM
Even though it's not supported by Xbox live, it will be supported by Gamespy Arcade and the other "bootleg" online Xbox enablers.

Wow, this game came out of no where, I was expecting a Bill Laimbeer Combat Basketball type deal, but all these good reviews keep pumping it...

Spaztic
10-21-2002, 08:15 AM
I just got this game I don't think it deserved such a high rating. I would highly suggest a rental, though I haven't played it much hopefully it will grow on me!

yall
10-21-2002, 08:36 AM
This game sounds like Speedball 2 for the Genesis. I loved that game. i may just have to check this out!

EHWfedPres
10-21-2002, 04:11 PM
less than 2 days away!

Make sure you pick it up on the 23rd!

faceoff508
10-21-2002, 04:24 PM
I knew it was going to turn out to be a great game!

faceoff508
10-21-2002, 04:28 PM
Look at this:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=108055

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/22219.asp

robnyack
10-21-2002, 06:53 PM
um, not to be a nit-picker, but, if the game is not even out yet, how can it be a surprise hit?

EHWfedPres
10-21-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by robnyack
um, not to be a nit-picker, but, if the game is not even out yet, how can it be a surprise hit?

Its out in other countries already and its a hit there.

EHWfedPres
10-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by XBOXMIKE
Am picking this game Up tommorow! I hope:o

Im saying that to myself right now...and its going to be Monday in several hours. http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif I want this game tomorrow or im going to do something that I will regret...and people will die, im so pìssed off right now...:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yannie Boy
10-28-2002, 10:10 AM
..............................................i hope eb has it by now.......................................

Fruzed
10-29-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by yall
This game sounds like Speedball 2 for the Genesis. I loved that game. i may just have to check this out!

That game rocks! I loved Speedball 2!! Looks like there's someone
who's over 20 that remembers that game (which is about 11
years old now)...

I didn't have it on Genesis, I had it for my good 'ol Amiga. One of
the best games they had on it. Maybe I'll go find it and play it
again... It's either in my attic, or in a random electronics junkyard
in some foreign country...

Cheers! :)