PDA

View Full Version : XBOX or PS2

johnikan
10-20-2002, 08:30 PM
Am still deciding which one to get... its hard.. ps2 - has alot of good games

xbox - nice features in the box and some good games...

which one would you think is the best? and like where can i get an xbox/ps2 for a good price?:)

xboxtito
10-20-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by johnikan

which one would you think is the best? and like where can i get an xbox/ps2 for a good price?:)

One thing XBOX LIVE NUFF SAID!

MerimacHamwich
10-20-2002, 08:42 PM
WEll xbox has 200+ games by christmas so it doesn't exactly have a restricted selection like Gamecube. Plus xbox has everything and more that the PS2 has for less or equal price.

PS2 problems - Want a harddrive with your PS2 200$ gone! Want to save games? 20-30$gone for a memory card. Want to have 4 people able to play? 40$ gone! Want Broadband online play? Too bad, you are gonna have to suffer with the 56kers. Want 5.1 dolby digital in game support? No can do my friend I am sorry. HDTV support you say? Oh I am sorry but that cannot be done on the PoS2. LAN play with up to 16 people? Nope no can do. Want a ratio of more fun games to bad games? Sorry, that cannot be found on PS2. Bump mapping? Per Pixel Shading? Neither can be done! Want massive amounts of detailed textures? Sorry. Want the choice of whether you use a big or small controller? Sorry PS2 only has the generic PS1 controller used for the PS2. There is no change from PS1 rumble double joystick to PS2's. Want a system that doesn't make louder noises than your game? Better stay away from the PS2. Want the ability to zoom in at any point in any dvd up to 10x? Only found on xbox's playback. Want to be able to talk with anyone in an online game with your voice? Only xbox, I am sorry. Built in ethernet card for plug and play online? Only on xbox my friend.

Those are just some reasons that I have come up with for now. More soon.

Liquid Gears
10-20-2002, 08:56 PM

Yeah, a lot of bad games :rolleyes: Please Gameboy Advance grafics are better than PoS2's. The only reason it has more games is because it's been out a year longer than XBox. Go with XBox, you won't be dissapointed.

narfedehoihoi
10-20-2002, 08:58 PM
pick the xbox!!!!! you will find that the whole interface, graphics, speed, and games are better than on ps2!

techie
10-20-2002, 09:12 PM
If you are in the US, Target has the new Xbox bundle
pack with a free extra controller this week through
saturday. I almost bought a second Xbox just because
I thought the deal was so good.

MerimacHamwich
10-20-2002, 09:14 PM
Here is a way better deal for the xbox.
At Ebworld (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/promos/create-a-bundle/xbox/default.asp)
It is also available at many other places I believe. Try walmart.

chili325
10-20-2002, 09:17 PM
Even though all of these posts are true in saying that xbox is a great choice remember what site ur on:) if u want honest opinions find someone with xbox and ps2 in there sig and pm them. Now let me tell u why ps2 is crushed by xbox. Its simple, the xbox is heavier. Ok bad joke. But man...what a time to buy an xbox. The rest of us have been waiting for almost a year while playing whatever could entertain us. Mostly Halo. But u...no...u r different. There will be no waiting. There are many games to be out within the next few months including xbox live and a couple of blockbusters. There should also be a few sleeper hits. What u should do is research not the system...but the games. Sure graphics are better on xbox...and if ur a graphic guy then we hav a winner. But 4 gameplay its gunna be a tough call. With time will come advantage 4 the xbox. And it all starts this season. If u take the blue u know what ur gettin. Plenty of good times await. But if u take the green pill...there is no turning back. I cannot explain to u what the xbo-experience is. U will hav to find it 4 urself.

pieceofmind83
10-20-2002, 09:21 PM
get a xbox,dude!
i'm haveing so much fun with xbox live and all the games xbox has,i have a ps2 and never play it anymore! i play gta3 and i'll be playing gta vice city but i'll always have much more fun with the xbox and xbl.

Xbox Owner
10-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
WEll xbox has 200+ games by christmas so it doesn't exactly have a restricted selection like Gamecube. Plus xbox has everything and more that the PS2 has for less or equal price.

PS2 problems - Want a harddrive with your PS2 200$ gone! Want to save games? 20-30$gone for a memory card. Want to have 4 people able to play? 40$ gone! Want Broadband online play? Too bad, you are gonna have to suffer with the 56kers. Want 5.1 dolby digital in game support? No can do my friend I am sorry. HDTV support you say? Oh I am sorry but that cannot be done on the PoS2. LAN play with up to 16 people? Nope no can do. Want a ratio of more fun games to bad games? Sorry, that cannot be found on PS2. Bump mapping? Per Pixel Shading? Neither can be done? Want massive amounts of detailed textures? Sorry. Want the choice of whether you use a big or small controller? Sorry PS2 only has the generic PS1 controller used for the PS2. There is no change from PS1 rumble double joystick to PS2's. Want a system that doesn't make louder noises than your game? Better stay away from the PS2. Want the ability to zoom in at any point in any dvd up to 10x? Only found on xbox's playback. Want to be able to talk with anyone in an online game with your voice? Only xbox, I am sorry. Built in ethernet card for plug and play online? Only on xbox my friend.

Those are just some reasons that I have come up with for now. More soon.

You Da Man!:D

SPARTAN VI
10-20-2002, 09:27 PM
Get a XBOX! There are so many things that are going for it! Too many to list! But then again... you are in a XBOX forum...:D

johnikan
10-20-2002, 09:30 PM
so where can i get an xbox or ps2 for a good price? cause right now at buy.com i they have this coupon 15 dollars off anything on 200 dollars or over... since the ps2/xbox is 199.99.. after coupon its 184... my plan right now is like:

xbox (not bundle) - 199.99
dvd kit - free (after 15 dollar rebate from m$)
with 15 dollar off from buy.com

= $184 something.. well is that good?

as for ps2, it would be $184 too, but just for the system.. nothing else..

you guys/girls think this is a good deal? :cool: :eek: :confused:

SPARTAN VI
10-20-2002, 09:40 PM
You could always trade in your old games/systems at EB for credit then use it for stuff! Hellm thats what I am doing for MechAssault, and my XBOX LIVE starter kit, so I am only spending about $70 for Ghost Recon and UC. My credit has done me well.....:cool:

Koopa
10-20-2002, 09:40 PM
I'm going to answer this honestly...pretty much if you really need gta3, final fantasy, gran tourismo, or socom, want a huge library of games, but don't have online play or graphics as a high priority and want the system most people have...get a PS2.

If you can live with one of the many GTA3 clones/killers (True Crime for example), can live with one of Xbox's many great upcoming RPGs (True Fantasy Online, FABLE, Sudeki, and more), can live with oen of XBOX's many great current and future racing games (PGR and PGR2, Midtown madness, Rallisport), can live with one of XBOX's MANY squad based and first person shooters (ghost recon, brute force, HALO and HALO2!, rainbow 6 3 raven shield) if you can live with a hard drive, if you can live with a single online entity that for just 50 bucks a year gives you a system wide buddy list, voice communication for ALL ONLINE GAMES, superior graphics, if you can live with RAREWARE (and probably more companies MS will buy out:D )...if you can live with all that..get an xbox!:cool:

SPARTAN VI
10-20-2002, 09:43 PM
SEE? He posted my LIST for me!:cool:

MerimacHamwich
10-20-2002, 09:46 PM
Just go with eh xbox bundle. You get two games! You don't even have to buy a seperate game to entertain you. The PS2 price is always crap and will always be crap until they take off 200$. Same with the gamecube price. The xbox has a hardrive and they dont. IT costs around 200$ to get a harddrive for a PS2 so they should have to take off 200$ of their price in order for it to be even close to equal. Either that or else MS is just giving everyone the best deal they will ever see in thier lifetime!

Spartan did you not see my list? I posted it before you posted and it is quite comprehensive. More so than what Koopa posted.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
10-20-2002, 09:56 PM
Wow, the fanboys are out in force.....look, dude....both systems has some killer games coming.....the xbox has the great graphics and a lot of power....but most the games have been lackluster up to this point. On the other hand the programmers know the playstation 2 hardware and are learning new tricks to push the hardware even further. I guess since this is an xbox fan site, some of the guys can be a bit bias. You have to ask yourself which systems has most of the games that i want to play. I would wait to see if sony counters microsoft bundle.

SPARTAN VI
10-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
Wow, the fanboys are out in force.....look, dude....both systems has some killer games coming.....the xbox has the great graphics and a lot of power....but most the games have been lackluster up to this point. On the other hand the programmers know the playstation 2 hardware and are learning new tricks to push the hardware even further. I guess since this is an xbox fan site, some of the guys can be a bit bias. You have to ask yourself which systems has most of the games that i want to play. I would wait to see if sony counters microsoft bundle.

He doesn't lie, BUT, the PS2 is not as easy to work with as the XBOX and PC. Since their hardware are SO alike, they are EXTREMELY easy to work with, according to game designers. Just go with NEW as of now... it should last longer than the PS2, and if there are any doubts, JUST SCRAPE UP THE CASH FOR THEM BOTH!:D

Koopa
10-20-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Just go with eh xbox bundle. You get two games! You don't even have to buy a seperate game to entertain you. The PS2 price is always crap and will always be crap until they take off 200$. Same with the gamecube price. The xbox has a hardrive and they dont. IT costs around 200$ to get a harddrive for a PS2 so they should have to take off 200$ of their price in order for it to be even close to equal. Either that or else MS is just giving everyone the best deal they will ever see in thier lifetime!

Spartan did you not see my list? I posted it before you posted and it is quite comprehensive. More so than what Koopa posted.

your post was longer, i'll give it that, but it had one flaw...it focuses too much on hardware instead of software. Hardware is only gateway to having fun with a game..it shouldn't be an end all. All of Xbox's nifty little gizmos are nothing without something cool to use them on.

SPARTAN VI
10-20-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Koopa

your post was longer, i'll give it that, but it had one flaw...it focuses too much on hardware instead of software. Hardware is only gateway to having fun with a game..it shouldn't be an end all. All of Xbox's nifty little gizmos are nothing without something cool to use them on.

Sorry MerimacHamwich, hardware is nice to have, but that wasn't what I was aiming at! I was going more for Koopa's list. But, putting them together would hurt either! :rolleyes:

MerimacHamwich
10-21-2002, 12:19 AM
Well said. I have to say though that I cannot believe anyone would have a hard time deciding which one to get. It is just so blatantly obvious in terms of software and Hardware IMO wich one is better. There are no "system selling" games on PS2 that really interest me. They might have good ideas but the PS2 is so limited on the hardware side that it cannot deliver the game I expect. The xbox has the closest thing to what I look for in hardware to deliver what I want in software. Kind of like what Peter Molyneux says. Which is hwy he is making groundbreaking games for the xbox. Project Ego/ Fable will destroy GTA3 in terms of what you can do. In fact I think it will be a testament to what games should be and how far behind the times the industry actually is. I think all games should be as ambitious as Fable and B.C. are.

Squidpie
10-21-2002, 02:43 AM
I own all 3 consoles... but if I had to choose just one... I'd choose the Xbox... its more powerful... theres so many new games coming out now... and Xbox Live really makes it the top choice.... how can these things even be argued?... the only reason I have a PS2 is for the games exclusive to that system... like Kingdom Hearts... which is the game that finally made me decide to get a PS2.

mmichael0
10-21-2002, 02:58 AM
In the end, it up to you want you like but if I had to choose between the Playstation 2 & X-Box, I will get the X-Box bundle.

I got my X-Box mostly for the Sega games comeing on to it :)

FuNkY mOnK
10-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Buy a ps2 then you'll wish you purchased an xbox instead.

johnikan
10-21-2002, 08:58 PM
does xbox uses those 4.7 gig dvd discs like ps2?

lxc
10-21-2002, 09:30 PM
does xbox uses those 4.7 gig dvd discs like ps2?
Nope, Xbox discs hold about 9 gigs;)