PDA

View Full Version : Im pretty sure you all know this about system link games....

rockola
10-20-2002, 09:27 PM
I am only speculating here, but I figure it will be good for conversation.

I read a lot of post about people being upset about an xbox game not being xboxlive capable and only has system link. but as many of you know, system link games can be fooled to be played online, like how people are playing halo now.

there was a game playing service a while ago called Mplayer that did just that with games that had lan/ipx play but not net play (I think Microsoft's zone.com did it also, not sure)

it would be very possible for MS to have the capability to play system link games over xbox live, probably withought the rest of xbox lives's features. but it could serve as a basic gateway bonus feature to play all those non xbox live games that have system link over xbox live.

those particular games may not play as well as a game that was made to use with xboxlive, and maynot include voice communication or ingame buddy list etc but it is possible. now, if MS does it or not is a different question. I could see, for example, ea getting upset if you were still able to play thier sports games online even though they dissed supporting xbox live (wonder how many people are playing ea games on ps2online). But. games that are owned or exclusive to xbox could possibly be patched via xboxlive to be live games

Dre
10-20-2002, 10:16 PM
The downside to this idea though is that you are technically giving an out for the companies that wish to be on XBL without implementing all the XBL extra features such as stat tracking and voice communication (not to mention network code optimization unless that is all done already through MS API's... I have no clue).

Xbconnect and gamespy can stick with playing the system-link capable games, XBL shouldn't do this imo.

rockola
10-20-2002, 10:45 PM
The downside to this idea though is that you are technically giving an out for the companies that wish to be on XBL without implementing all the XBL extra features such as stat tracking and voice communication (not to mention network code optimization unless that is all done already through MS API's... I have no clue).

I agree with you there

EHWfedPres
10-20-2002, 10:48 PM
I guarantee that XBL will not do this...but it may be possible for games like Deathrow or something, who knows...nice idea tho.