PDA

View Full Version : Give me your suggestion on a new HDTV

Kennedy
11-14-2001, 02:11 AM
i have recently made the desicion to purchase one of those HDTV's. but i dont know much on the subject, The main reason im buying one is to make my xbox experience that much better, im also purchasing a expensive 5.1 dolby digital surround sound system but i have decided on that, i just need to know what you guys think, what type hdtv(size, resolution, pixel(480p,1080i)and brand) would you reccomend that will work best with my new xbox and surround sound system?

thanks for your help!
-Kennedy:D

CO1
11-14-2001, 10:08 AM
What is your budget?
How far is your seating position?
How much room do you have?
Can you control the lighting in the room?
Do you prefer widescreen or 4:3?
Do you prefer RPTV, FPTV or Direct View?

Kennedy
11-14-2001, 10:36 AM
What is your budget?
beleive it or not, were jackpot winners, so im open to anything expensive or not

How far is your seating position?
well.....enough, not too crammed and not a warehouse

Can you control the lighting in the room?
yes, we have a shroder&shroeder component lighting system

Do you prefer widescreen or 4:3?
definatly wide screen, were looking to go crazy with it. ive got my eye on the 65" sony ones, but dont know whether size sacrifices quality

Do you prefer RPTV, FPTV or Direct View?
i dont know what that is, sorry

basically im looking for the best hdtv for use with mainly the x-box and our new sattilite system, which has hdtv compatibility. i want the biggest screen available, but i also want the highest resolution possible(1080i if possible) i have seen this one that im really leaning torwards, but any help would be appreciated. ill post a link to the tv im currently thinkin about getting.

thanks!
kennedy:D

heres the link to that huge sony hdtv, tell me what you think (http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/sony.html)

(its the first tv on there the 65" one)

Hugh_Jass
11-14-2001, 04:39 PM
If money is not an issue you should go with a 3-chip DLP projector. I think they run anywhere from $40,000 to $100,000.

Then you can have a 300" screen if you want.

Enjoy.

Jason1010
11-14-2001, 06:31 PM
Samsung makes good ones...

I have a 55'' widescreen hdtv by samsung that cost about 3500 if i remember right.

Dont go with flat screen unless u have no room at all left in your house... they are way to fricking expensive :)

l Maximus l
11-14-2001, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
If money is not an issue you should go with a 3-chip DLP projector. I think they run anywhere from $40,000 to $100,000.

Then you can have a 300" screen if you want.

Enjoy.

LOL@Hugh_Jass....that was classic!

But, seriously, if anything, go with one of those Plasma TVs...those are amazing...and when you get your XBox, get the Monster 400 Cables...they are made for them...Crystal clear clarity...the thought brings a tear to my eye :cool: They go for about $7000.

Jason1010
11-14-2001, 07:41 PM
actually to tell you the truth... getting educated about hdtv's online is good and all but the best way to decide is to actually go to like ultimate electronics (or wherever u want to buy it) and get a good salesguy and have him answer any questions u have... they are really really good at that at ultimate... that is y i recommend that store for electronic buying.

Kennedy
11-14-2001, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the help!!!

CO1
11-14-2001, 11:49 PM
If you want a RPTV, which is what the Sony is that you mentioned, the best are the Pioneer Elite and the Mitsubishi Diamond series. The Sony you mentioned is also good too. Plasma is also a good choice but you get what you pay for so don't go cheap if you go for plasma. I don't care what anyone says about the new RPTV's not having a burn in problem with video games because the only way that this is not true is if you turn your contrast down to 1/3. Personally for me the best solutions for a console TV are Direct Views and Rear Projection LCD TV's. Both TV's are not a problem in brightly lit rooms and there is no concern with burn in, not to mention that they are better for viewing from any angle. I'm going to be going the LCD RPTV direction myself but there are very few of these TV's out there. Princeton Graphics has one coming out soon and Delta has one out now but has a higher resolution model also coming out soon. Another advantage with the LCD TV's is that they can be used as a PC monitor and unlike a regular RPTV the text is super sharp. Something else you may want to consider is the fact that a LCD RPTV doesn't require an ISF calibration which is recommended for a RPTV after the first 100hrs and again with in the first year if you want the best picture. Here is a link to Delta's site Delta (http://www.delta.com.tw/products/products32.asp?key=321rear) DL the PDF file at the bottom of the page. If you go with a RPTV and you get a Pioneer Elite or a Mits or even the Sony I'm sure you will be happy. Any TV in their price range is a good TV so enjoy whichever model you go for.

Marc
11-15-2001, 12:48 AM
I saw a Hitachi 43 inch at Circuit City for 2,150. I wanted it soooo bad, but I just bought new speakers and my wife would kick my ass...

Kennedy
11-15-2001, 12:54 AM
yea thanks for your sugestions c01, i think ive made my mind up on the Sony KWP-65HD1 HDTV, which seems to have all the features im looking for, 65" screen among other things. and i know if you look at that picture of it from that link up there it looks small, but in reality that sucka is gigantic!!! I still am kinda weary though about this "burn in", this model is a rear projection, does that apply to those makes?? i thought that would only happen if a game if left on like on pause for hours. please expain.

again thanks for all your help!!!

hdtvgalaxy.com/sony (http://hdtvgalaxy.com/sony )

CO1
11-15-2001, 04:33 AM
For the most part you are correct. I think I also heard that the XBox has a screen saver. Where you have to worry is things like your score or anything that is bright and stays in the same spot for long periods of time. Just turn the contrast down and it shouldn't be a problem. Some people will tell you that the newer TV's don't have this problem but that's BS. I've seen it on newer TV's and my friend is the manager of an electronics store and they get people trying to return TV's with burn in. Just be mind full of your contrast and everything should be OK. I know the TV you are talking about and it’s very nice, enjoy!