PDA

View Full Version : ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth GSC review

xboxteen
10-22-2002, 09:41 PM
The ToeJam & Earl series started as a quirky little project that Sega released for the 16-bit Genesis system starring the eponymous alien rapper duo. The first game was a success, blending cooperative gameplay with randomized levels that were different every time you played them. Yet the second game unfortunately took away most of what made the original good and simply used the first game's themes in a dull side scroller. ToeJam & Earl III, released years after either of its predecessors, in turn borrows elements from both games but combines them in a way that, quite simply, isn't very fun at all.

The funky alien rapper duo is back...

It's always tough to build a game around humor. Historically, very few games have managed to be genuinely humorous on purpose. If the humor works, then it can actually make up for a lot of a game's deficiencies or make a good game even better. But if the funny parts aren't, well, funny, then some games can get downright painful to watch or play. ToeJam & Earl III, a tale of three funky hip-hop-loving aliens, unfortunately falls into the latter category. It certainly tries to be funny, but the humor almost always falls flat. With the surprisingly clever exception of a reference to the album artwork for Run-DMC's classic album, King of Rock, the rap music tie-ins feel fake and forced. It's as if three men who had never heard of hip-hop sat in a room for three hours while watching tapes of Yo! MTV Raps from around 1988, retained maybe 15 percent of what they saw, and filled in the rest of the blanks with tired '70s funk references. During play, each time you see an earthling become "funkified" and watch as Bootsy Collins star-shades appear on their eyes and Afros pop out of their heads, all you can do is groan.

The game revolves around "the funk." The Funkopotumus' record collection has been stolen and taken to Earth. It's up to ToeJam, Earl, and newcomer Latisha to go to Earth and recover the missing vinyl. Of course, after spending some time on the planet, your spiritual--and "funky"--mentor discovers an unbalance in the funk. This later evolves into a disturbance in the funk. Yes, you guessed it. There's a dark side to the funk--the antifunk. You'll eventually fight the antifunk in hopes of making the world funky for funky people to be funky in. Like those last few sentences, the game is constantly ramming the concept of funk down your throat, be it on its own or worked into incredibly lame Star Wars-like sequences, where the funk is interchangeable with the Force.

The actual gameplay in ToeJam & Earl III is like a cross between the first two games in the series. Like in the original, you, either alone or with a friend, must move from level to level, exploring the maps from a third-person perspective and ending each level with a trip in a flying elevator. Like in the second game, you'll find earthlings and, with a blast of your "funk fu," bless them with the healing power of the funk. The game is broken up into worlds, each with a handful of different stages and each culminating in a boss fight or other task. However, the standard level gives you a checklist of things to accomplish. Some levels will force you to convert every earthling in the level. Others will have you unlocking "presents," which are the game's equivalent to power-ups. You'll discover presents that give you various movement items, like spring shoes, rocket skates, and so on. Other presents are weapons, such as the large funk fu blast or the funkify notes. Still others are simple pleasures, such as life-recovering food, a decoy to trick pesky earthlings, and the like.

Sodge
10-22-2002, 09:55 PM
Tell me that isn't the full review. GS usually has long reviews...that's a sad excuse for s review. ;)

MixMasta
10-22-2002, 09:58 PM
wheres the score???

xboxteen
10-22-2002, 10:01 PM
If i put the full review no one will feel like reading it its to long lol here is the score:

GameSpot Score

mediocre

robnyack
10-23-2002, 04:47 PM
sigh.....another clunker.

can someone please give the gaming industry a swift kick in the ass?

Discretion
10-23-2002, 06:13 PM
I am still checking out Toe Jam and Earl 3. Gamespot hated Conflict: Desert Storm but I LOVE IT!

Piccolo_DBz
10-24-2002, 01:17 AM
I went to the IGN forums and there saying it's a good game. So I may just pick it up

Unreal
10-24-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Piccolo_DBz
I went to the IGN forums and there saying it's a good game. So I may just pick it up
Add me to that list as well Piccolo.

Pimpn419
10-24-2002, 11:17 PM
hey guys, just had to throw my two cents in.. this game really rocks! previous tjande fans.. don't sweat, this game will far exceed your expectations.

-Matt

BORNGD
10-25-2002, 12:55 AM
yea i got this game today, i am lovin it! a 5 outta 10? jeez i hate that site...

they must not of liked the first two! this is a great 3rd installment