PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's gate is a must for RPG fans

Brevity
10-24-2002, 08:43 AM
Review here. (http://www.planetxbox.com/features/reviews/2002/bgda/)
I got it last night, and playted it for several hours with a friend and love it, and since its only the 2nd RPG for the Xbox, its a must. I really like the top down hack~slash fest. :cool:

symposiumx
10-24-2002, 03:01 PM
some quick Q's about this game. If anyone can answer them, I'd appreciate it.

1) how many hours of gameplay?
2) 2 player co-op on XBOX ??
3) how does it compare to Diablo (as far as gameplay)
4) level up is similar to a Diable type game, or similar to Baldur's Gate for PC?

Thanks!

studepaber
10-24-2002, 03:46 PM
I'm getting this in about a half an hour, looks good I just hope it's longer than the PS2 version. I don't know how I'm gonna find time to play this though seeing as Deathrow is consuming all of my time.

Brevity
10-24-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by symposiumx
some quick Q's about this game. If anyone can answer them, I'd appreciate it.

1) how many hours of gameplay?
2) 2 player co-op on XBOX ??
3) how does it compare to Diablo (as far as gameplay)
4) level up is similar to a Diable type game, or similar to Baldur's Gate for PC?

Thanks!

1) Dont know and cant find,,,,goood Q. I beat games fast most of the time, so I will get back to you.
2)yes 2 player and if I may say its better that way.
3)Well theres the rub-Its kind of like it in that its a top down H&S but the inventory and leveling up are dif. Its b/c of the use of new D&D rules. So its little things like your inventory it weigth not just the size of a box. And the archer sucks its to hard to aim in BG but in D I am always the archer.
3) Its a little of both but more of DG for PC. And again I feal that it has been dumd down a bit.

But the game is still a great buy.

studepaber
10-25-2002, 08:28 AM
I got this game yesterday, played it for a few hours, a very good game I might add. Anyways I can't figure out how to use recall potions!! I go to the inventory menu, highlight the potion, try to equip it and nothing happens....Is this a glitch or is it just my game? :confused:

symposiumx
10-25-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Brevity

1) Dont know and cant find,,,,goood Q. I beat games fast most of the time, so I will get back to you.
2)yes 2 player and if I may say its better that way.
3)Well theres the rub-Its kind of like it in that its a top down H&S but the inventory and leveling up are dif. Its b/c of the use of new D&D rules. So its little things like your inventory it weigth not just the size of a box. And the archer sucks its to hard to aim in BG but in D I am always the archer.
3) Its a little of both but more of DG for PC. And again I feal that it has been dumd down a bit.

But the game is still a great buy.

Thank you for helping me out with those Q's.
I agree, playing 2 player on these games is where the REAL fun is at! Nothing like running for your life frantically trying to help your partner get away from some huge mob of undead or some such travesty.
I don't mind a little more simplistic gameplay for Baldur's on the console. Especially with 2-player I think the complexities of the PC versions of Baldur's Gate would be a little tricky and/or create a much slower game.

Brevity
10-25-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by studepaber
I got this game yesterday, played it for a few hours, a very good game I might add. Anyways I can't figure out how to use recall potions!! I go to the inventory menu, highlight the potion, try to equip it and nothing happens....Is this a glitch or is it just my game? :confused:

Press Start its an option there.

Brevity
10-25-2002, 10:29 AM

Thank you for helping me out with those Q's.
I agree, playing 2 player on these games is where the REAL fun is at! Nothing like running for your life frantically trying to help your partner get away from some huge mob of undead or some such travesty.
I don't mind a little more simplistic gameplay for Baldur's on the console. Especially with 2-player I think the complexities of the PC versions of Baldur's Gate would be a little tricky and/or create a much slower game.

Ya and in 2P we found a glitch..When me friend would get on top of boxs to avoid hits the bad guys would try to get him and leave me to give them an axe enima from brom behind. You would think they would turn around but htey dont, easy kills on bog badies.

symposiumx
10-25-2002, 10:43 AM

Ya and in 2P we found a glitch..When me friend would get on top of boxs to avoid hits the bad guys would try to get him and leave me to give them an axe enima from brom behind. You would think they would turn around but htey dont, easy kills on bog badies.

maybe bog badies just have a fetish for axe enimas? hahaha

Brevity
10-25-2002, 11:31 AM

maybe bog badies just have a fetish for axe enimas? hahaha
lol

symposiumx
10-25-2002, 12:05 PM
so there is a female mage and a male fighter? oh yeah...and a suckie archer?

what about a cleric? or is healing take place in the form of potions?

Brevity
10-25-2002, 12:23 PM
so there is a female mage and a male fighter? oh yeah...and a suckie archer?

what about a cleric? or is healing take place in the form of potions?
Ya know kidding I want the archer but I want him to be a fighter. I am the dwarf now, he looks like GIMLY--sp? from LOTR..lol

symposiumx
10-25-2002, 12:50 PM

Ya know kidding I want the archer but I want him to be a fighter. I am the dwarf now, he looks like GIMLY--sp? from LOTR..lol

you mean the main angry dwarf dude from the movie?

so healing is just by potions?
I think i'll go buy this game today after work. and maybe pick up another game also. Maybe hitman 2. I want that game. And commandos 2 (but i think i'll trade to xboxstop for that one)

symposiumx
10-25-2002, 01:07 PM
Gimli, the stout-hearted axe-man who comes to represent the Khazad, the dwarves of Middle-earth, played by John Rhys-Davies.

Brevity
10-25-2002, 02:13 PM
Gimli, the stout-hearted axe-man who comes to represent the Khazad, the dwarves of Middle-earth, played by John Rhys-Davies.
Ya thats the one and no healing is also a internal ability in Gimli.

symposiumx
10-25-2002, 02:21 PM

Ya thats the one and no healing is also a internal ability in Gimli.

so is it like Baldur's on the PC (where you hit a pause, go into the menu, ect) or is it like diablo (with hotkeys/quick select)

Brevity
10-25-2002, 03:59 PM
ITs like Diablo and you can assign every button your self. I made the whole thing like HALO.

symposiumx
10-25-2002, 04:15 PM
ITs like Diablo and you can assign every button your self. I made the whole thing like HALO.

Very cool. I'm sold...I'm buying it in 3 hours.
If i end not not liking it, I'll just have to beat your @ss!! LOL

seriously though, thank you for all the information!

Brevity
10-25-2002, 05:42 PM
Youll love it. Tell me though.

symposiumx
10-25-2002, 05:54 PM
Youll love it. Tell me though.

I'll let ya know monday. This weekend is devoted to playing games and getting laid ;)

Brevity
10-25-2002, 06:02 PM

I'll let ya know monday. This weekend is devoted to playing games and getting laid ;)

LOL, sounds like a nice weekend.

SkoalMint
10-27-2002, 02:32 PM
Just curious. Is the 2P split-screen or similar to Hunter with everyone on the same screen. I get so frustrated when I can only go so far because someone is on the other side of the screen.

DOOM
10-27-2002, 08:09 PM
How Are The Graphics...
Does The Game Use Any Of The XBOX's Bells & Whistles???
Are There Any XBOX Specific Options Or Extras In The Game?
Thanks!!!:)

Brevity
10-27-2002, 10:09 PM
**FOR DOOM AND SKOAL**
Hunter style but further back and at a tilted angle. Ya you have to work with the camera together. **Graphics are good and they dont realy go any further than the PS2 version, I seen a little fog that was not in the other and some stuff like that, but not a big dif. NO EXTRAS

***THAT said I am playing the stuff out of this game. It is fun.

DOOM
10-28-2002, 07:37 AM
**FOR DOOM AND SKOAL**
Hunter style but further back and at a tilted angle. Ya you have to work with the camera together. **Graphics are good and they dont realy go any further than the PS2 version, I seen a little fog that was not in the other and some stuff like that, but not a big dif. NO EXTRAS

***THAT said I am playing the stuff out of this game. It is fun.
THANKS MAN!!!;)

symposiumx
10-29-2002, 01:23 PM
anyone know the hours of gameplay? I want to buy this and play for a few weeks with my girl. But if its goingto last only like 20 hours, I'll just rent it

Kdogg
11-06-2002, 01:28 PM
I rented it from BB and beat it with the Sorcoress in about 13 hours. She wasn't fully leveled up, but she was pretty stout. I went back and played as the archer and fighter and found the archer to not be that bad . Of course there was the blatent kudos to Legalos from LOTR on your special skills(i.e. he can shoot multiple arrows....this isn't a bad thing though). The only thing now that I am having a hard time doing is after beating the game it opens up the gauntlet where you can use a Drizzt(sp??) warrior....the guy with 2 swords, and you have to get through the gauntlet in 15 minutes and have no save points or anything like that and you have to kill ALL the enemies.......When you beat it, it opens up the extreme mode for normal game play.

Couple of questions regarding the gauntlet though....

1)Has anyone beat the gauntlet yet?
2)Also is the Drizzt skill level the same as the person that you beat it with or how is his skill level determined? Can he be leveled up too?

(I had the chick at lev 16 when I beat the game.) I started playing back though to level her up more, but it is almost too easy at that point(especially when you import her in from one of your last saves and play it on the hard setting) When you have a minimum of hitting with 100hp, the enemies seemingly die before you swing as they already know their fate....lol.

3)What happens when you beat the gauntlet(for those who have on the (P)i(S)ser 2? :D Do you get to play with the Drizzt during the campaign?

It was fun, and I love the BG series, but I am glad that I rented it. Perhaps when BB puts it as a previously played game for $25, then I may purchase it. I am always looking for co-op games to play and this one was pretty fun.

Thanks all......

And here is a spoiler for leveling up your charachters after you beat the game once.....

For those of your who beat it also, found out the easy way to level up the other characters. Import another chacter with good armor/swords, drop all their stuff, then export them out. HAve the character that you want to play as pick those items up and then you are good to go. Call it cheating if you want, but I just wanted to see all the other special skills before I had to take it back to BB......

SlightlySycho
11-06-2002, 04:14 PM
It's a weekend game. Can't recommend buying it since it's not that long at all.

I didn't play the PS2 version, but I thought the graphics did take advantage of some bumpmapping. The character models aren't amazing, but the environments look quite detailed. Of course, either way, the camera is so far above the action that you could never appreciate it.

It's heavier on action than plot elements. You can't even name your character, which ****ed me off a little. What little Story exists isn't particularly that good. A few plot holes (ummm, if Sleyvas wants you to expunge the evil from his swamp, why exactly is he charging you so much money for his super weapons and other supplies? Money he has neither desire nor means to utilize?). The whole thing reaks of discontinuity (with as few spoilers as possible, you basically fight thieves in one segment, Gnolls in a second, and an Demon Horde in the third, yet they're all supposed to be connected [though I do get the feeling that Demon Horde probably wasn't connected to the other two]).

A few tips to all those playing Fighters (the character class I played as):
You don't really need Rejuvination Potions. It'll be awhile before you even have a magical attack, and it won't consume that much energy.
You probably won't need more than a hundred arrows at any one time. Your melee attack tend to do more damage than ranged weapons anyways. There are a few instances when ranged tactics are quite advantageous, but they don't come that often.
You'll pick up more Recall Potions than you could ever possibly use. Ten is probably a safe number to have. If you have more than that, then sell some to free up some weight in your inventory.

Incidentally, how do you export a character from a game? Do you need a memory card?

Kdogg
11-06-2002, 05:11 PM
Actually, it is quite easy. You just save to the memory card/or HD . Of course if you want to carry it somewhere else use the mem card. It works much the same as importing a character into the game. Just make sure you save b4 you do this or you can lose all of your stats, weapons, etc...... Then make sure you make a new save so you don't overwrite you character. The only thing is that you have to have 2 controllers hooked up to do it though.

They did a real good job in making it where you don't have to play the game from the start jsut because a friend comes ver. He can either start a new character or load up one that oyu have saved already.

To try it out, I suggest starting a new game and importing another charachter in as player 2. That way you won't lose any valuable skills/weapons. etc. Only things is that they have to be 2 different charachters. I.E. you can't have 2 fighters, or archers or sorceresses on the screen at one time.

And chain lighting rules!!!!!!!

What's yall's favorite hcaracter move?

EHWfedPres
11-09-2002, 09:39 PM
I have one question...is it just like the Baldurs Gate game for PS2?