PDA

View Full Version : Deathrow should've been denied perole...

Woocifer
10-24-2002, 09:25 PM
I cannot believe that this game recieved marks as high as it did....

I TRIED to like this game. I TRIED to get into this game...it's so shallow and hollow. There is absolutely NOTHING of presentation for this game. There is swearing...but who cares? That does nothing for the game.

The graphics are mediocre. The opening scene gets tedious as you watch it for every match. There is nothing to introduce the entire event, just a bit of announcement in the beginning. I was hoping that there would be a little more structure in the presentation rather than pick your team then watch this cheese animation leading up to the match of a bunch of people a la 'Running Man' watching a huge TV in the streets.

The views for the matches are somewhat bogus. They do what they are supposed to do but limiting the views to two and then variations of them by near, far and inbetween is kinda cheesey.

The fighting in the game is simplistic and made me feel like I was playing Fuzion Frenzy with the spiderman fighting engine. There are some cool things in it, but nothing to keep me interested.

The characters in the beginning are pretty slow. I'm sure it gets far more intense later on in the game but seriously I really don't want to stick around to find out. The mechanics are a little aggrivating but overall the game is easy to control. You run around, avoid the others, pass the frizby and throw it through the hole...which sometimes can be annoyingly hard, but at other times can seem WAY too easy.

The arenas didn't seem to be anything TOO interesting, though the jail was kinda neat. None the less this game is pretty shallow.

You could argue that football and hockey and basketball are all simplistic too...but in essence those games inspire more skill and strategy in the sense of defense and offence. They have proper actual in depth play and rules instead of just beat people until they can't move...which takes way too much time to do anyway.

It just seems that this game is a one shot deal. You jump and you toss the frizbee thing through a circle. There are no flips or double team or special moves that you can pull off to give the game more flare to scoring, more flare to defending...if there was a little more structure to the game it might be more like a sport...otherwise its just scramble for the disc and run...Maybe the game is better multiplayer...but it bored me, then frustrated me, then got too easy, then got hypocritical(yeah I know wierd), then it charged me tax on the team in the game which I didnt like haha, then it got boring because I was losing 12-0 and caught up within 30 seconds by running in a circle, grabbing the disc after I scored, out in front score again, rinse and repeat...

I dont know..I just dont see the draw of this game. It didnt grab a hold of my attention by offering more depth and rewards for what I was going through. I already know what working my ass off for nothing is called...work...and I do it everyday...no need to simulate it at home ;)

I didn't like this game...and from all the hype around here, I'm sad I gave my money to try this game. It's going back tomorrow...

MerimacHamwich
10-24-2002, 09:41 PM
Dude, you seem to hate everygame that most people consider good. Then you love games most people consider crap. I think you are just bitter towards the general opinion, no matter what it is.

Woocifer
10-24-2002, 10:50 PM
I'll need you to state some examples of me being guilty of liking what most dont and hating what most do. And then I'll say that the pet rock was popular once, people used to buy rocks at top dollar...a lot of popular things have been mistakes and horrible decisions by most people because of the following. But if you want to argue the point go ahead...

Go and get this game and try it... Perhaps the factor that I don't fall into the category of hype means that I have a sober opinion about something.

I tried the Splinter Cell demo and told everyone to get it from EB...I havent seen one person distraught about that. I explain all my problems with just about every game that I rip into. I don't see others doing the same.

If you pay 90 bucks for something that is pure quality like Splinter Cell will be or Halo is or Super Mario Brothers 3 was, why would you even bother to complain that I rip into a game that is only worth a quarter of that price whent hey claim it is worth the same price as quality titles.

I'm critical to the point where I state my opinion about the sludge that people seem to throw around and follow because they think it will be good. The fact that I went and picked this game up gives you an indication that I at least tried the software. I gave it a chance...and it feels like a mediocre title that was loved too much and will be followed just because of that...similar to Morrowind...which if you don't have a history of quality software in your mind would be a boundary pushing title. But really a lot of people wouldnt stop to see how poorly it was pulled off.

I don't see the worth of these titles. Not everything can be a great and perfect title...but if that is the case and you judge a title with a number, why not pay a certain number for the title?

I'm sorry you don't agree with my tastes but that is of no concern to me as I'm just giving my side of the story. And this side of the story says that this game is dull.

But your own response to my pseudo review is basically bitter towards my tastes. Thanks for ostracising my tastes and pointing it out, that really helps the situation....Have I ever failed on my explanations?

egg
10-24-2002, 11:46 PM
I'm sure it gets far more intense later on in the game but seriously I really don't want to stick around to find out.

Thats all You should have wrote!! Your review is worthless!! NEXT!!

RudedogX
10-25-2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by egg

Sorry, I just had to write, that is an awesome sig!
http://oish.com/otherpics/dancers.gif

Spaztic
10-25-2002, 09:04 AM
To all you guys slamming woocifer, you guys really need to pull your head out of your ass! He was just giving his opinion, if you choose not to listen to it, just don't even post your retarded comments.

I am copying am pasting this review I did awhile ago, and to be honest this game is pretty lame, I rather be playing any of my other games! I have played this game for well over 10hrs. now!

graphics - game has good graphics, the polys are clean, and really no jaggies. The action is so fast that your really don't have time to appreciate them.

sound - has a really good soundtrack with some slamming beats, really holds strong to flow of the game. I believe you can't put in a custom soundtrack. The convicts (team) constantly say Fuc* and other teams say random curse words thoughout the match. kinda humorous, and fits the game.

control - kinda weird at first. Since I play so many different games I sometimes get all the controls messed up. After getting the hang of them it was much easier to manuiver. My main complaint is that you constantly have to retarget to know where the disk is going by hitting the right trigger. It isn't bad but kinda annoying at some times. Also when you go to change your players it is hard to tell where or who they put you as. Sometimes they put you by the person with the disk other times they put you on the other end of the field. Really annoying when you know where you want to go and have to change players a couple times to get there. I felt the controls could have been worked out just a tad more.

gameplay - since this is a futuristic game I didn't really know what to expect. the gameplay is fast and kinda hard to understand what is going on when you first start. Once I got the hang of it (5 minutes into the game) I beat the first team by 15 points. Now I didn't check the difficulty but if that is as high as it gets there is a problem.....my other issue is if the game is so easy when your first start out will it continue to be a challange even on the hardest level? The gameplay is fast and simplistic to the point where I really didn't seem to enjoy it as much as I might have. You have two picks of the camera view. I chose the action view but I constally found that it was hard to see where my team is. While the gameplay is origional it seems to miss that lack luster that I was expecting. While this game has tons of stuff to unlock I definatly seeing myself getting board and moving on to other games.

overall- I would highly suggest to rent this game. Honestly I feel a week with this game will give you all you need! I would definatly not buy it but that is my opinion. If you are looking for something snew to do with ome buds this has it but when I had my friends over we played two games, mastered it, then we played hitz for the rest of the night. It just dosn't seem to have that holy $hit this game is awsome fun factor.

final verdict: save your cash and buy some grass!

Highlite23
10-25-2002, 09:47 AM
I only want to state a couple of things........

Opinions, we all have them and should respect each others.

One mans trash is another mans gold.

And finally, I will admit, and i did so in my review also, i was a little miffed and felt missled when i originally popped this game in.

BUT...This game is going to have a "Dead to Rights" argument following it. The game is alot deeper than most will give it credit for, Shaggy brought up a good point, the pace is so fast you kinda miss alot.

Woocifer, i respect your opinion , but there are special moves...the left trigger opens up 4 more simple moves, If you play with alittle strategy you can pull off "One Time" pass and score opportunities that go into bullet time. The fighting system is more complex than you led readers to believe (The AI "remembering" who smacked him last, or ganging up on you if all your doing is beating players up), and you can regulate the game, enable the "Rules" if you want more structure, there is strategy involved if you choose to play that way. I do agree with you that some gamers are "Lemings" and follow the pack, but I don't feel i'm one of them, I like this game alot.

Again, I respect that you may not have like this game, and the bottom line is that each should judge for themselves.

I'm pretty sure i didn't bash or flame you in my response, so let's keep it simple people and remember these are all oppinions.

DZNUTZ
10-25-2002, 11:56 AM
god..now i have no idea if i should grab this game or not?

btw..rudedogg beat me to it....egg that is a great sig

egg
10-25-2002, 04:50 PM
I still stand by what I wrote...I would of said the same thing if he would have wrote a review saying this is the best game ever made!!... This is one of those games you just can't pop in and play!! You need to get to know it to enjoy it... After reading his review... You could just tell he didnt give it a chance... He dosent know half the things this game can do and isnt even going to give it a chance.. but yet he will write up a review for it... Don't think so.. That is whats wrong with alot of reviews... Sites that just throw in a game and if it doesn't tickle them in the first 20 minutes... They think it sucks and then writes a review on it with lot of discrepancies!!! This is why I don't care what anyone thinks about a game..Just give me details about the game, not opinions.. but thats just me.... You really want to know what a game is like... PLAY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW.. Don't stare at my sig too long.. You will wake up in a cornfield naked from the waist down embracing a Chicken Dance Tickle Me Elmo...........

EHWfedPres
10-25-2002, 07:13 PM
Woocifer, your opinion is meaningless, and by the looks of it, nobody cares, so please...dont take out your misfortunes on us,ok?

and yes, that is a damm cool asss sig.

egg
10-25-2002, 08:06 PM
OK. Lets not turn this into a Woocifer bashing thread... I may disagree with his review tactics but he seems like a cool guy!!

EDIT: <---------- POST 100 :) and it only took me a year. :D

AcidJazz
10-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Own it, love it...! ;)

Woocifer
10-26-2002, 12:27 AM
Hahahaha hey listen guys... I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin. You all know how some people can follow and defend on just sheer fanboyism alone.

What I was trying to say was the game gained a lot of hype around here. When I tried this game out, and btw I played it for about 5-6 hours straight trying to find the funfactor in it, I just did not see the depth or the worth of the game that had been touted.

Now whether or not that bothers people is really of no concern because really I'm not here to put people down with reasons...I'm here to criticise games that are over priced and under developed for us. I am more interested in pushing the titles to a higher level.

I mean you all probably have movie collections...and you probably have the top movies you prefer and the top quality dvds you own. And then theres the crud...the rest of the 2.0 stereo straight from VHS quality DVDs out there but you love em because they are stories that you are all over in terms of interest.

This game did not interest me nor did it impress me in anyway. I'm sure the game could be great fun in a multiplayer environment, but I felt there were too many things left out for it to keep interest. The gameplay elements to me seemed pretty shallow. I did play it for what it was worth and I did try all the fun little moves and tried all the strategic ways of playing the game...when I found out that the strategy is either having higher stats or being able to avoid damage, I got a little tired of the same thing over and over.

I didn't feel like the game was a team sport...more like your guys are there, they do a few things to help you out, but the basically give you the disc and don't seem to create a solid feeling that you aren't alone in this game.

I liked the idea of the messages you get during the game, and the different opportunities you get from it...but there were no cinematics, no sounds and no commentary. It was a little disappointing that the main audio clips in this game is just empty swearing.

But like I said...it would **** people off because they are those fans that don't mind the lack of quality if they are totally immersed in enjoyment of the subject.

Wasn't my cup of tea...but no need to jump on my back. I gave my side of it and explain myself. I seldomly just come out and say something without tact or reason. Don't be insulted if you are and don't come down on me because of it. It isn't my fault :)

Anyway...this game I found was a mediocre title that missed the mark of trying to introduce a new idea into the sport side of gaming.

egg
10-26-2002, 02:01 AM
See.. I knew you were cool.. You could have gone the other way and posted a very negative response.. but you took the higher road!!!! :D So.. What game gets the most of your xbox time anyway??

OUberLord
10-27-2002, 10:07 PM
I personally thought the game was fun as hell, me and my friends played though about 6 conquests back to back and the only reason we quit was it was 6am.

The gameplay could be called shallow, but its not. Calling deathroms gameplay shallow is like calling a football game shallow because all you do is pass or run, of calling a FPS shallow because all you do is run or shoot. Theres much more to Deathrow than meet the eye.

BTW, am I the only one who noticed the title is a combination of Death-Throw? You know, in game when you throw a charged disc at someone it says that, and it kind of makes sense. Interesting anyway....

Woocifer
10-27-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by egg
See.. I knew you were cool.. You could have gone the other way and posted a very negative response.. but you took the higher road!!!! :D So.. What game gets the most of your xbox time anyway??

Hey if anything the most I try to do is give an intelligent response with reason and logic. Whether or not it bothers people is up to them...unless I press the issue haha but yeah I'm pretty easy going, I just hate to watch the quality marker be raised or lowered by a mass thought fueled by spirit instead of method.

What's in my xbox most of the time? Right now it has been a toss up between Madden and NBA 2K3. I had Hitman for a while but once I tried the Splinter Cell demo I realised that Hitman would probably be neglected, so I took it back and put the money as a down payment on SC...makes sense money wise. Anyway looking to pick up Baldurs Gate tomorrow and looking forward to MoH, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, and Unreal Championship. I'm watching NHL 2K3 but I'm not too sure if I'm diggin the game or not...I hated EA's version of hockey and Sega's looks like the ice is the size of a football field compared to the players.

Anyways I'm in serious need of a good adventure multiplayer type game. Then again I wish they would come out with a streets of rage or kadash kind of game....which is what I'm hoping to get from Baldurs Gate.

I hope the wave of great NEW titles picks up cuz I'm gettin bored of ports even if they are what I'm looking forward to...hence the disdain I had towards Deathrow...oh well :)

Reclaimer
10-28-2002, 04:59 AM
To heck with this game review, I love this sig. I'm captivated for some reason. Where did this come from?

http://oish.com/otherpics/dancers.gifhttp://oish.com/otherpics/dancers.gifhttp://oish.com/otherpics/dancers.gif

RudedogX
10-28-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Reclaimer 343
To heck with this game review, I love this sig. I'm captivated for some reason. Where did this come from?

http://oish.com/otherpics/dancers.gifhttp://oish.com/otherpics/dancers.gifhttp://oish.com/otherpics/dancers.gif

You and DZ man, ridin' on my coat tails:rolleyes:

I see how it is...I said it first though:D

Evil_InsidE
10-28-2002, 02:45 PM
That's too bad. I really think you should give it a little time. Play it some more, try multiplayer. This is the perfect title to play when you got 4-8 guys swilling beer and need to burn off some testosterone.

I hunted for this title all weekend, then finally found last night. I played for several hours and got hooked.

I'm not a huge fan of professional sports, but I like fast paced sports such as hockey and basketball. That combined with the strategic aspect of managing your team and trying to keep all your players healthy gave the game alot of depth for me.

I still haven't opened the manual, so I'm probably missing alot of key gameplay elements, but I don't care. I'm having fun. I like games that I can pickup the controls & gameplay quickly, then be able to discover the strategic ways of winning. This title gives me that.

This game gives me the ability to sit down and play a quick match or two before work or when I have 10 minutes (or 6 hours) to kill. That is one of the nice things about it: You can sit down and play quick matches for a couple of minutes, or you can try to unlock stuff through conquest mode and play all night.

This game goes up on my "must have" titles list along with Halo, Hunter and Amped. It has: Awesome gameplay, amazing graphics, great sound and tons of replay value. Between this and Unreal Championship, this winter season will be a violent, bloody good time!

Professor Kaos
10-28-2002, 07:49 PM
mayb wooc can go play some azurik, mayb he likes that game. if ya dont have a copy ill sell ya mine for $15.:)

JGennaro
10-29-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by egg

I LOVE that sig! Spiderman dancing with all those other characters...cool!!

JGennaro
10-29-2002, 07:50 PM
Heh, I just got as far into this thread as reading egg's first post, made my reply and noticed after that three others had already followed suit saying the same thing...guess it grabbed a bunch of people's eyes...anyways can somebody help me make a sig??..I really need one...gettin up there with the post counts..thanks-

:cool:

RudedogX
10-30-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by JGennaro
Heh, I just got as far into this thread as reading egg's first post, made my reply and noticed after that three others had already followed suit saying the same thing...guess it grabbed a bunch of people's eyes...anyways can somebody help me make a sig??..I really need one...gettin up there with the post counts..thanks-

:cool:

Go into the sig request thread in the Off-Topic Lounge and ask there, they'll always make one.:)

thunderkiss2k1
10-30-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Woocifer
I'll need you to state some examples of me being guilty of liking what most dont and hating what most do. And then I'll say that the pet rock was popular once, people used to buy rocks at top dollar...a lot of popular things have been mistakes and horrible decisions by most people because of the following. But if you want to argue the point go ahead...

Go and get this game and try it... Perhaps the factor that I don't fall into the category of hype means that I have a sober opinion about something.

I tried the Splinter Cell demo and told everyone to get it from EB...I havent seen one person distraught about that. I explain all my problems with just about every game that I rip into. I don't see others doing the same.

If you pay 90 bucks for something that is pure quality like Splinter Cell will be or Halo is or Super Mario Brothers 3 was, why would you even bother to complain that I rip into a game that is only worth a quarter of that price whent hey claim it is worth the same price as quality titles.

I'm critical to the point where I state my opinion about the sludge that people seem to throw around and follow because they think it will be good. The fact that I went and picked this game up gives you an indication that I at least tried the software. I gave it a chance...and it feels like a mediocre title that was loved too much and will be followed just because of that...similar to Morrowind...which if you don't have a history of quality software in your mind would be a boundary pushing title. But really a lot of people wouldnt stop to see how poorly it was pulled off.

I don't see the worth of these titles. Not everything can be a great and perfect title...but if that is the case and you judge a title with a number, why not pay a certain number for the title?

I'm sorry you don't agree with my tastes but that is of no concern to me as I'm just giving my side of the story. And this side of the story says that this game is dull.

But your own response to my pseudo review is basically bitter towards my tastes. Thanks for ostracising my tastes and pointing it out, that really helps the situation....Have I ever failed on my explanations?

Woocifer, he is right. Everytime a new game comes out that everyone else likes, you post that you think it sucks. Its almost as if you do it just to be different or something. Whatever. We all have differing tastes in games.

EHWfedPres
10-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Deathrow is one of the best games out...some complain just because you suck at it.

and i believe it's spelled 'parole'