PDA

View Full Version : Man this Splinter Cell demo rules!!

Jarvis
10-25-2002, 06:28 PM
Fantastic gameplay in this game, even from the small bit of the game I've been able to play.

I preordered the game and in canada you get a free demo disk.

You start out at night in a courtyard of a police station. of course they put you right behind a gate where you can see the RIDICULOUS real-time lighting.

I then picked up a pop can and threw it at a light, knocking it out. Man, it's a little dark out here now, so I switch on my nightvision goggles (amazing black and white pencil effect that rules). There's a staircase going down and a door. Deciding to check the rest of my gadgets I pull out my handy "snake cam". i throw it under the door and notice a guard pretty close.

whip open the door and take him out with a silenced pistol shot to the head. right now i'm thinking "this game is amazing!"

you head upstairs and have to do a few other things like killing people, picking up and using a medkit, picking a lock, knocking out a camera, etc.

there are a couple parts where you walk through curtains and it has to be one of the best graphic effects ever, they are flawlessly done and move very realistically.

i tried sneaking up on a guy and taking him hostake, it's really neat too. if you get tired of him you just hit trigger again to knock him out with a pistol whip.

Sound is amazing. You pick up a body and hear him grunt and get a little short of breath. I have a good surround sound setup and had fun listening to a radio from all angles, I stood in one place and spun around a bit, hearing the radio come from all sides of my surround sound. voice acting is very good, he has a tough sound, but cool.

split jump is pretty neat too, although I didn't use it to get the jump on anyone yet.

You can also hang on pipes, crouch, peek around corners, open the door stealthily.

overall after one level of play, i'd say the game is going to sell a LOT of copies, and i personally can't wait.

-jarvis

Liquid Gears
10-25-2002, 06:36 PM
That's it, I want that game now!!

FuNkY mOnK
10-25-2002, 06:41 PM
A proud day for Xbox. and many more to come.:)

EHWfedPres
10-25-2002, 07:24 PM
they have it at EB and i played it there today and yesterday (cause they didnt get ƒucking goddamm Deathrow in yet!) and the lighting effects are insane. Controls are easy, but I didnt notice if the Y axis was inverted the first time i played it...but it was today...this isnt a flight simulator, wtf?

Anyway, i went down the stairs and did a jump split between 2 walls in a hallway and shot some dude in the head...it was fun.

Jarvis
10-25-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
they have it at EB and i played it there today and yesterday (cause they didnt get ƒucking goddamm Deathrow in yet!) and the lighting effects are insane. Controls are easy, but I didnt notice if the Y axis was inverted the first time i played it...but it was today...this isnt a flight simulator, wtf?

Anyway, i went down the stairs and did a jump split between 2 walls in a hallway and shot some dude in the head...it was fun.

my disk had normal Y axis. it's customizable perhaps.

-jarvis

EHWfedPres
10-25-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Jarvis

my disk had normal Y axis. it's customizable perhaps.

-jarvis

Yes, thats what i was thinking, but I did not check the start menu, i was just messing around...kind of weird how the glass in that one room does not break...

hook-worm J
10-25-2002, 08:15 PM
I cant wait to get this demo! How are the framerates?

EHWfedPres
10-25-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by hook-worm J
I cant wait to get this demo! How are the framerates?

no slowdown from what i played...but hardly anything was going on.

Ulchie
10-26-2002, 02:15 PM
my fav part was near the end.....I went upstairs and crept behind that guy at the desk(in the dark room) and grabbed him....then his friend stood up and tried to shoot me but was shooting his friend so I just shot him in the head....lol I love this game it's so damn fun...I love making everything dark and then throwing a pop can and then they check it out and I side stepped one of the guys when he came and grabbed him from behind it was awesome
GOTY, imho
beats the hell out of mgs2 but where did u do the split jump? in the beginning with all of those fluorescent lights hanging from the ceiling and the prisoner guy behind bars screaming "no dont kill meeeee" or where?

Jarvis
10-26-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Ulchie
my fav part was near the end.....I went upstairs and crept behind that guy at the desk(in the dark room) and grabbed him....then his friend stood up and tried to shoot me but was shooting his friend so I just shot him in the head....lol I love this game it's so damn fun...I love making everything dark and then throwing a pop can and then they check it out and I side stepped one of the guys when he came and grabbed him from behind it was awesome
GOTY, imho
beats the hell out of mgs2 but where did u do the split jump? in the beginning with all of those fluorescent lights hanging from the ceiling and the prisoner guy behind bars screaming "no dont kill meeeee" or where?

last staircase. if you try it too high up you'll just end up grabbing the pipe. start like halfway down the stairs.

-jarvis

anarky
10-26-2002, 07:54 PM
WOW. This sounds amazing, i simply cannot wait for this game. By the way, is there a solid release date yet?

Leviathon
10-28-2002, 12:25 PM
This game sounds amazing.....

I hope it is all that they say it's going to be and more.

Xtopia
10-28-2002, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Jarvis! I can't wait to get this game!

XBX_Junior_XBX
10-28-2002, 04:01 PM
Wondering where did you get the demo? What magazine?

Jarvis
10-29-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by XBX_Junior_XBX
Wondering where did you get the demo? What magazine?

got it free from EB. if you preorder splinter cell in canada EB stores you get the demo free.

-jarvis

Batman2372
10-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Okay, yall are going to think I'm stupid, but I can't figure out how to throw the can. When i try to throw it, it just drops from my hand.

dougi3000
10-29-2002, 05:05 PM
go into target mode (press X)
then pull the right trigger
:P

Shorezy
10-29-2002, 05:44 PM
I have the demo too guys. Flippin' incredable! MAN OH MAN!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE FULL VERSION!!! I'm almost goin nutz.......no joke....:confused: :confused:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ulchie
10-29-2002, 07:23 PM
lol I had the same prob for like 2 min and then I realized.....i pressed x and then aimed....lol that's how I knock out lights all the time.....I love it in the first hallway that ur in(after u go through the door)
I do that thing.....u know up on the walls....one foot on each wall holding me up...and then the gaurd comes by, and I drop down and hit him on the head
it's so damn fun....must buy, maybe even GOTY, either this or mechassault anyways.

dougi3000
10-29-2002, 08:10 PM
nah
unless this game gets more press, GTA Vice city will be game of the year (according to sales, ALL SOLD OUT according to the news), and Sony and Rockstar are rolling around in money, laughing at all their little lemmings...

:)

JJaX
10-31-2002, 11:50 AM
I got the demo last night. I most have played it liek 10 times. This has game of the year written all over it. Its simply amazing. I made a thread on what i thought.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26436

Nothing like getting through the whole level with out being detected. Got damn this game is so freaking good!!!

How do you open a door steathly?

Batman2372
10-31-2002, 02:27 PM
I'm with you, JJax, I can't figure it out, either. I'll start to see stealth, but then it goes away as I start to open it. And thanks dougi for the info on throwing the can *feeling like a total dweeb*.

The whole curtains-in-the-morgue thing is nothing short of amazing. You'll have to see it to understand what I mean. I'm not going to go so far as GOTY yet since the year isn't over and there's a ton of stuff that hasn't come out yet, but.... wow.

JJaX
10-31-2002, 02:53 PM
The only time I ever saw the “stealth” interaction with a door was when I was 1st learning to play. I had put a body next to the 1st door. And it was before I figured out that I had to hold ‘A’ and use the D-pad to choose your interaction. (when multiple choices wre available)

Arven
10-31-2002, 09:35 PM
How to open a door stealthily: Approach door, select A (don't select "open door"). Move your left thumbstick down (I think. could be up). That will bring up the stealth open option. Select it, and the door will open a crack. If you want to open it all the way, press the left thumbstick up (or down, I forget which).

Arven
10-31-2002, 09:37 PM
And regarding throwing cans -- did you know that if you pressed left trigger while aiming, it will change the trajectory to a more direct one (and a harder hit, I believe)?