PDA

View Full Version : "Xbox bellies up to the bar"

thedrisc
10-28-2002, 02:30 PM
xbox goes bar hopping with Budweiser.

"Microsoft on Monday announced a marketing partnership with Budweiser to promote its Xbox video game console, part of its push to find new ways to grab sales during the critical holiday season.

Under the deal, Budweiser brewer Anheuser-Busch will help the software giant rotate 300 Xbox demo units through thousands of bars in the United States between now and the end of the year. Patrons will be invited to play Xbox games and to register to win promotional items from both companies.

While some analysts have said Microsoft needs to focus on younger consumers to reach a mass-market audience, the new promotion is another indication the company intends to continue courting older, hardcore gamers.

Michael Goodman, an analyst for research firm the Yankee Group, said that's a wise choice, especially as Microsoft prepares to launch Xbox Live, the online gaming service for the Xbox. Online gaming will be the key element that sets Xbox apart from Sony's PlayStation 2 and Nintendo's GameCube consoles, and the service will naturally appeal to older gamers, he said.

"It's going become an important differentiator for Microsoft--until now, they haven't had that," Goodman said. "The big differentiator has been (games titles), and Sony really has the edge there."

While the Nov. 15 launch of Xbox Live is unlikely to make a big contribution to Xbox sales this year, other factors--including a new bundling promotion--should keep Xbox in the game, Goodman said.

"There are a number of factors that are going to play into this holiday season," he said. "I think the bundling is certainly going to help them in terms of building their installed base, and that’s their priority. It's typical Microsoft strategy to take a loss to build markets"

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-963560.html?tag=fd_top

Ninja Scroll
10-28-2002, 02:34 PM
WOW, looks like M$ has no limits,..now if only they would learn dat in order to be a success they need to advertise on T.V.:rolleyes:

carlbme
10-28-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
WOW, looks like M$ has no limits,..now if only they would learn dat in order to be a success they need to advertise on T.V.:rolleyes:

Agreed. Although I'll admit they are doing some ads on TV. My wife was telling me that she saw several while watching Mtv the other day :rolleyes:

rocksback
10-28-2002, 04:19 PM
I don't drink beer but I think thats a good idea

DZNUTZ
10-28-2002, 04:30 PM
to bad its not sponsered by Guinness.

who knows..ya know what would be great?
come in first place and get free beer for life!!!!:eek:

POD13259
10-28-2002, 08:08 PM
That's kind of sad, actually, to get a beer company for ad purposes. Almost seems like they're getting desperate.

Dre
10-28-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by POD13259
That's kind of sad, actually, to get a beer company for ad purposes. Almost seems like they're getting desperate.

Umm... why is it sad and desperate? It sounds like a great marketing idea to me.

thatroger
10-28-2002, 11:48 PM
I'm with Dre there.

There goes Nintendo's chance at selling Gamecubes to the older generation because their only way of getting the older gamers to buy their Gamecubes would've been to get em drunk :D

ThomasHun
10-29-2002, 02:44 AM
Hell yeah the drisc is still here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Long time no see

whatsyourprob?
10-29-2002, 05:00 AM
i like this idea, and i hope the Xbox shows up at Dave and Busters soon... that would be cool... i believe they have them for sale, but ive never seen them set up to play.

thedrisc
10-29-2002, 08:11 AM
Thomashun!!!. how the hell are ya!? I post a little here and a little there but as you can see by my post count not too much.:)

l Maximus l
10-30-2002, 01:44 AM
Like I've always said..."Beer and XBox...Mmmmmm" :D

Hey, I may not be the biggest fan of Anheiser Busch products, however, there are *some of those days* where accepting anything with barley and haups is allllllllllllllllllll good :D

thedrisc
10-30-2002, 09:49 AM
there is stuff thats a lot worse than bud thats for sure. when you can buy a 12 pack for under 4.00 you know its going to suck but thats what it takes sometimes when I was a poor college student.

Beer and Bliss Max

:)

l Maximus l
10-31-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by thedrisc
there is stuff thats a lot worse than bud thats for sure. when you can buy a 12 pack for under 4.00 you know its going to suck but thats what it takes sometimes when I was a poor college student.

Beer and Bliss Max

Ah yeah, buddy! I hear ya...there is this extremely cheap beer called Hoffbauer..they make a Lager and an Ice...not on sale the stuff costs $4.39 at very selected grocery stores! hehe

Of course, there is the scrumptious Steel Reserve boasting 8.1% alcohol or the mouth watering Black Label each retailing for $4.99 on a day that has a price increase :D

Or, we can get a tad more exotic and go with Pabst Blue Ribbon...or, what I like to call "The Rib"...not only for abbreviation purposes, but, if one were to vomit after drinking a few too many of these bad boys, they are likely to puke up a rib in the process :D

And, yes, another Wisconsin favorite has to be Milwaukie's Best...or "The Beast"...not because it's a mean beer, but, when you drink too much of this toxic waste, your stomach starts growling like an angry beast :D

Ah...and finally, the beer of all great wonders of beers...Hamms. Oh man...doesn't that make my mouth water! hehe...yeah, right...maybe on the morning after a night drinking a sixer of that while hovering over the white porcelean throne :D

Beer and bliss, dude! Now go grab a Moose Drool! Damn, now that's great beer!!!

l Maximus l
10-31-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by thedrisc

Beer and Bliss Max

Ah yeah, buddy! I hear ya...there is this extremely cheap beer called Hoffbauer..they make a Lager and an Ice...not on sale the stuff costs $4.39 at very selected grocery stores! hehe

Of course, there is the scrumptious Steel Reserve boasting 8.1% alcohol or the mouth watering Black Label each retailing for $4.99 on a day that has a price increase :D

Or, we can get a tad more exotic and go with Pabst Blue Ribbon...or, what I like to call "The Rib"...not only for abbreviation purposes, but, if one were to vomit after drinking a few too many of these bad boys, they are likely to puke up a rib in the process :D

And, yes, another Wisconsin favorite has to be Milwaukie's Best...or "The Beast"...not because it's a mean beer, but, when you drink too much of this toxic waste, your stomach starts growling like an angry beast :D

Ah...and finally, the beer of all great wonders of beers...Hamms. Oh man...doesn't that make my mouth water! hehe...yeah, right...maybe on the morning after a night drinking a sixer of that while hovering over the white porcelean throne :D

Beer and bliss, dude! Now go grab a Moose Drool! Damn, now that's great beer!!!