PDA

View Full Version : Halo Help - defending againts snipers

Laxeph
10-29-2002, 05:23 PM
My friend and I always play Halo one on one. He always seems to barely beat me though. He takes a ghost into the center of the field (blood gulch) with a sniper rifle. He then picks up a rocket launcher and camps in the middle. If I try to snipe him, he sniped me. If I warp to the middle, he shoots me with rockets, if I take a vehicle he shoots me with rockets. We always play for money, and I want to win some back. You guys got any idea on how I could beat him.

SpartanSniper
10-29-2002, 06:00 PM
Well if the guy is a wuss who camps in the middle of the field then he leaves himself open to alot of attacks.

Practice sniping alot in single player and with other friends in multiplayer. Try using a gun that fires alot of ammo in rapid succesion (Like MA5B Assault Rifle, Needler, Plasma Rifle or Plasma Pistol) to knock his S2 AM Sniper Rifle out of aim. Work on throwing grenades and you just may be able to freak him out or just get a Plasma Grenade on him.

Good Luck.

E Nomini Patri
10-29-2002, 08:12 PM
system link so he can't see your screen, then see how good he is ;)

grenade his butt out of the middle, take a ghost of your own in there and beat him down, or grab an invisibilty cloak and melee him to death.

aircobra
10-29-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Laxeph
My friend and I always play Halo one on one. He always seems to barely beat me though. He takes a ghost into the center of the field (blood gulch) with a sniper rifle. He then picks up a rocket launcher and camps in the middle. If I try to snipe him, he sniped me. If I warp to the middle, he shoots me with rockets, if I take a vehicle he shoots me with rockets. We always play for money, and I want to win some back. You guys got any idea on how I could beat him.

don't play for money.

lunatic
10-30-2002, 05:42 PM
use i ghost to take him out. just circle around him and wait till he reloads or runs out of ammo

EHWfedPres
10-31-2002, 12:20 AM
Playing Halo with only 2 people is almost pointless unless yourplaying co-op...which gets boring way too fast anyway...

after playing with 8 people, you'll never want to play halo with any less number of people...:D

Reclaimer
10-31-2002, 03:14 AM
You're going to have to learn to snipe faster. I know that sounds cheap, but if he's in the middle, go to the fort and snipe him from the roof top using the abuttments as cover, or the ramp walls as cover. If you want to charge him, use the warthog for speed. Drive at all out speed, and drive in erratic angles to keep him guessing. Then you have to go at him putting the passenger side towards him, bail out in motion, as the jeep is adjacent to him.. The jeeo will be your cover as you bail with momentum. Then hopefully you can get him with a shot gun. Always move the jeep so that you can get out and have the side of the jeep between you and him. Pick up an O.Shield that way. If he's in the middle, he can't get you straight across the ground. Use ridges as cover and moves along the pathes. Lob grenades over the ridges when you align him on your radar with yourself. Learn the use the sniper rifle in the first maginfication mode for quicker aiming and go from there. Remember, speed, cover, and overwhelming firepower.

Reclaimer
11-01-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Reclaimer 343
You're going to have to learn to snipe faster. I know that sounds cheap, but if he's in the middle, go to the fort and snipe him from the roof top using the abuttments as cover, or the ramp walls as cover. If you want to charge him, use the warthog for speed. Drive at all out speed, and drive in erratic angles to keep him guessing. Then you have to go at him putting the passenger side towards him, bail out in motion, as the jeep is adjacent to him.. The jeeo will be your cover as you bail with momentum. Then hopefully you can get him with a shot gun. Always move the jeep so that you can get out and have the side of the jeep between you and him. Pick up an O.Shield that way. If he's in the middle, he can't get you straight across the ground. Use ridges as cover and moves along the pathes. Lob grenades over the ridges when you align him on your radar with yourself. Learn the use the sniper rifle in the first maginfication mode for quicker aiming and go from there. Remember, speed, cover, and overwhelming firepower.

Lax, I saw you asked for help again in the hints and tips forum so I take it you still need help. The reason I'm such an advocate for using the warthog is that even though you don't have any offensive weapons when you drive, it offers 2 things no other vehicle can offer. 1. Sheer speed. Not as fast a ghost in cruising speed, but you can take obstacles better and maintain speed. 2. Greater amount of cover. Yes you can use the ghost to accomplish the same thing. You can get around in the ghost and use it's weapons. But if you had to bail out, the ghost offers no useful cover against a sniper. If you where in a firefight at close range, then yes, crouching behind a ghost will afford you some cover, but against a dug in sniper, then no way. If you crash your ghost, you get thrown out, and there is a higher chance it will throw you out into the open. But if you get tossed out of a jeep, there is a higher chance that you can use the jeep as cover, regardless of how you land.
Cover is an important thing. Tactics are just as important as firepower. When playing against humans, even good ones, not every shot is dead on. So, cover can be used to help you. Don't run out into the open. Don't loiter in the open. If you must run somewhere. Look for something you can put between yourself and your opponent. If you must cover a great distance and there is not a vehicle, then quickly plan to run from cover to cover. Run to that rock. Now run to that sand berm, now run to that tree, and so forth. Get it? Inside levels, use columns and walls and barricades. Anything to stop a bullet. Don't ever run down the center of a hallway. Hug the wall. Don't ever run blatantly through a doorway. Slice the pie. Meaning get on one side of the doorway, and scan a sector and turn until you clear a doorway. If you have a radar pinging someone on the other side, toss a grenade in, wait, then go in after the explosion. People run when they see the grenade. It's a natural reaction.
Sniper has you down? Count shots and wait for the reload.
Always remember to crouch. Become a smaller target. Especially when firing. Close in on your target by crouch / walking, and firing in spurts with your AR. Think SWAT team. You'll do alright.

Ford Mustang
11-05-2002, 04:28 PM
One thing that I found out that works good is plasma grenades. If you're going to try to run a short distance, throw one out and it will work like a smoke grenade if you do it right

The needler would be good because you can fire 20 rounds and then hide, waiting for them to hit

If he is trying to snipe you, then make him jumpy by peeking out and getting him to take a shot, if he is not a really good person, he will probably forget to reload after the 4th shot, and when he tries to shoot you, you can obviously either run or shoot him in the time that it takes him to reload or switch weapons...

Also, if you can, try to run to the back of the level behind the buildings. On one side, there is a large hill with a rock on top, you should be able to get an overhead shot on him from there, and in the back of the other, there is a very small hole in the wall in the dark area that fits your whole body while standing and it is hard to kill someone in it even with a rocket launcher because it is just deep enough....try to find it when he is not around...

also, try to change your suit to a brownish color for blood gulch, and on the side of the wall where the big rock spire stands up, you can inch up the side of the hill way above the level, but there is little cover, so that's why you have to change colors

samslophead
11-19-2002, 05:01 PM
2-player multiplayer Halo can be very fun. I like to play in Sidewinder without radar. It's pretty cool.

Xbox Owner
11-22-2002, 02:50 PM
get in the middle before him

bada-bing
12-01-2002, 08:50 PM
If he is in the middle behind a mountain try experiment with grenades until they land in the right place. He will have to move if grenades are landing near him. Then you could run to the Invisiblility powerup and come up behind him and melee him from behind. Or you could get a shotgun and get him from behind too. The only problem is that he can see your screen too so he would probly know where you are! Give it a try! Good luck!

samslophead
12-02-2002, 10:20 AM
If you look at the Blood Gulch as if it were an oval, there is a base that is closer to the rocket launcher and a base that is closer to the invisibility/shield power-up. If you are standing at the base which is closer to the invisibility/shield power-up and you look to diagonally to the right and the middle of the level there is a "ramp-like" piece of rock on the cliff wall. It's not very noticable unless you are standing right next to it. You can walk up it a few feet and it doesn't seem like you climbed very high, but you are quite a bit off the ground. Anyway, if your friend doesn't know about it, he may not look there to snipe you, and you can shoot him with the sniper rifle. If you change your guy to a color like red or orange, it could be very hard to find him. If you haven't found this ledge yet, give it a try. It might work for at least a few games. In addition, if you go behind the other base on top of the little hill at the edge of the level, you can see almost every spot on the board. That is a great sniping area too.

Ford Mustang
12-03-2002, 08:48 PM
You can also use grenades as a distraction

Throw them and when he sees the explosion and look thinking you are trying to kill yourself so he wont get the kill

Wait a second and then run like hell

juliuscaesar
12-18-2002, 07:46 PM
I say get a tank on top of one of the bases at either end and blow the hell out of him. The hard part at first is to get the tank on the base, once you've done that you flush him out w/ grenades, if he still doesn't come out just wait, eventually he will get ****ed off and come after you with his sniper. In the tank you can easily jump out before a rocket hits you. I hope this helps you in some way. Blow 'em up!

Reclaimer
12-25-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by juliuscaesar
I say get a tank on top of one of the bases at either end and blow the hell out of him. The hard part at first is to get the tank on the base, once you've done that you flush him out w/ grenades, if he still doesn't come out just wait, eventually he will get ****ed off and come after you with his sniper. In the tank you can easily jump out before a rocket hits you. I hope this helps you in some way. Blow 'em up!

Thats a cool idea, but I thinks it's a little unpractical. The time it would take you to get a tank on top of a base, regardless of how good you are, would leave you extremely vulnerable. Plus being in a tank ontop of a base would make you a sitting duck against a dug in sniper. If you want to try that route, hopefully you have really good teamates who can take the heat off you and keep the sniper(s) busy while you try that. But if I where a sniper in a battle, I always check the base tops for counter snipers, and even if I where in a fight, I'd divert my attention long enough to deal with a tank on top of a base. That would shift the threat level a little bit against me.