PDA

View Full Version : My NFL 2k3 review

xboxteen
10-29-2002, 08:40 PM
superb

I posted this on gamespot reviews too

Graphics/Sounds : 9.5
When it comes to player models, NFL 2K3 nails it right on the coffin. It's like watching a real game on TV except your actually controlling the players. With the new ESPN presentation, it's almost erie seeing all the menus and on screen displays resemble that of Sports Center. The animation in this game is endless. It's most evident in replays, where no two player is doing the same thing. Sound in this game will eventually get repetive but compared to other sports games out there, it's not bad.

Controls/Gameplay: 9.5
The controls are tight and responsive. I personally think the most important aspect of a game is it's controls. The layout is like most other football game. If you've ever played any other simulation type football game, you'll be able to pick this one up easily. A game needs to have fast response. When your running through a hole and you want to step slightly to the left and then hurdle, that's exactly what the game should do; not turn completely left, right into your blocker, and then fall down. Fortunately, NFL 2k3 has some of the best controls in a game to date. The animation doesn't seem to effect controls negatively as in Fever and Madden. There are a few, however, still lurking in 2K3 which most people tend to ignore. The result of outstanding controls is great gameplay. It's fun to play. It's not too hard and it's not too easy. Even the best players will lose a few. The AI in this game is so good that is almost feels like your going against a real person. If you don't like playing the computer, you can play with up to four friends and come November you'll be able to play online.

Depth/Replay: 10
The most in-depth franchise mode including a general manager mode. You can control every single aspect of your teams future. Trading, signing free agents, scouting, and drafting is all part of this game but with thinking involved. Play the game and you'll see what i mean, don't expect to just come into a draft and take the best player at certain postion and have him on your team for opening day without contract issues. For some of you, it might be easier to leave it up to the computer to do it for you. Also, what adds to replay will be XBox Live. Not only will you be able to compete against people all over the world, but you'll be able to fight for standings and leader boards against fellow gamers. You'll also be able to download up to date rosters.

Overall : 10
With a combination of outstanding graphics, stellar gameplay, and countless replay features; NFL 2K3 is a must have in any sports fan collection. Overall, it's fun to play and there are alot of reasons to keep playing for years to come.

By xboxteen [POSTED: 10/27/02]

Dre
10-29-2002, 08:45 PM
Isn't there a review section on this site specifically for this?

xboxteen
10-29-2002, 08:47 PM
is there?

ARONO129
10-29-2002, 10:00 PM
I agree with most of what you're saying but I returned it for Madden because I hated the NFL 2K3 announcer. Terrible voice for play by play, really irritating.

Also the camera angles can not be customized like in Madden. I found that even the closest camera angle was too far away. But 2K3 has online play and Madden doesn't so you win some you lose some.

Xaminor
10-29-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ARONO129
I agree with most of what you're saying but I returned it for Madden because I hated the NFL 2K3 announcer. Terrible voice for play by play, really irritating.

Also the camera angles can not be customized like in Madden. I found that even the closest camera angle was too far away. But 2K3 has online play and Madden doesn't so you win some you lose some.

Funny how the 2K series has always been praised for its commentary, and Madden has always been criticized for its? hmmm...I don't know, I like the commentary in 2K3, I would never trade this game in for Madden, it is hands down the best football game I have ever played.

Great review Xboxteen.

xboxteen
10-30-2002, 06:40 AM
I have always like madden guys but when 2k3 came out madden die for me NFL 2k3 is a great and very realistic game!

Zion
10-30-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by ARONO129

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Madden has BY FAR the worst announcing ever in any game ever created. John Madden recorded 10-12 little quips in 1998 and they've been using the same exact thing over and over since then. The commentary in 2k3 is sweet, not repetitive, and it's dead on. In Madden, the two announcers are like they're not even watching the game...or not even watching the SAME game. The awful gameplay is why I threw Madden in the trashcan, but the horrid commentary didn't help either.

tennyson
10-30-2002, 08:32 AM
I have to agree that NFL 2k3 is much better than Madden, at least in my opinion. One thing, however, that really annoys me when playing 2k3 is the amount of dropped catches. Does anyone know if there is a setting to make catching a little more realistic? I'm not saying that sometimes the players shouldn't drop a pass when it's warranted, but it's gotten to the point where if you time it right (something not hard to do) you will ALWAYS force the receiver to drop the catch. Any suggestions on how I can alter the settings? Thanks in advance.

Dre
10-30-2002, 10:39 AM
If you lower the "Catching" slider in difficulty settings perhaps? I haven't tested this, but I sure know what you are talking about. Peerless Price always drops the ball when I know he should be holding on to it. Its to the point sometimes that you wonder "how the hell this guy get in the NFL"?

public EnEmy406
10-30-2002, 11:25 AM
the only thing i dont like about nfl2k3 is when ur playing with ur friend, they can always see what play ur gonna pick and that sucks cause u cant do anything

DZNUTZ
10-30-2002, 11:50 AM
tennyson...that is real football.
if their picking a D that covers your recievers...opt for a run or a quickpass/screen.

public...the way around yoru dilemia is to hold down button A , on the play you want...but before releasing the button ...move to a compleley different play....once u finally release the A button...it will choose the play you originally pressed it on.

don't forget guys..theirs audibles (that u can change during play selection with blk button) and their hot routes.

Zion
10-30-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by public EnEmy406
the only thing i dont like about nfl2k3 is when ur playing with ur friend, they can always see what play ur gonna pick and that sucks cause u cant do anything

Why not use the 'hide playcall' button? That way they don't know what play you called.

public EnEmy406
10-30-2002, 02:21 PM
ok thanx for ur help

xboxteen
10-30-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by public EnEmy406
the only thing i dont like about nfl2k3 is when ur playing with ur friend, they can always see what play ur gonna pick and that sucks cause u cant do anything tell him not to Look lol

tennyson
10-30-2002, 03:25 PM
DZNUTZ....not to start an argument over this, but the dropping is a little over the top. When I watch a football game on TV, receivers can catch the ball and hold on to it after a two-step hit. If passes were dropped every time a receiver was not allowed at least a second or second and a half hold time, there would be no such thing as great receivers. In NFL 2k3, even the top notch recievers drop the ball after less-than-tough hits. Just thought there might be a workaround, that's all.