PDA

View Full Version : Xbox? Modchips?

Honda_508
10-30-2002, 09:53 PM
i was just wondering if xbox live can detect mod chips? and if they do, can you still play on XBL?

xboxteen
10-30-2002, 10:12 PM
got no idea

techie
10-30-2002, 10:17 PM
They say they can detect a modded Xbox on
XBL. Also MS stated that anyone using a Xbox
with a mod chip would be banned from XBL.

LynxFX
10-30-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by techie
They say they can detect a modded Xbox on
XBL. Also MS stated that anyone using a Xbox
with a mod chip would be banned from XBL.

I don't recall MS stating any of that. The only thing that came up is that their EUA leaves it open for them to browse your xbox and they reserve the right to refuse connection to anyone. They never stated that they would, or that they actually could detect mod chips. That was the last I heard and is stated in the Live user agreement. If you have other news, then please post a link.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
10-31-2002, 12:26 AM
I don't know about modchip detection, but they (microsoft) has put xbox live detection of sort on the live cds. Word on some of the hacker sites are that..when you try to play live....the xbox installs a new dashboard on your xbox.......to make a long story short...if you connect to live and the server does not see or find the live file on your xbox....your hard drive won't boot, i think they lock it..... Word of advise......don't to it......the risks are just too great

l Maximus l
10-31-2002, 12:38 AM
To my understanding, hackers have already developed a solution to this potential problem. For people who have modded their XBoxes, there is a switch that can be installed that can toggle your XBox into *normal* mode to *modded* mode.

Therefore, a person with a modded box can simply switch their XBox to *normal* mode when using XBox Live and it would be impossible for Microsoft to detect it.

Now, I don't write this to encourage anyone to mod their XBox and try this...not at all. My XBox is not modded and I have no plans on doing so. I've seen a modded XBox and the only thing I was impressed with was adding a larger hard-drive and saving copies of entire games onto it, therefore, not requiring the insertion of game discs and eliminating the need for moving parts. I saw a few other things like playing PC games and playing N64 games and such, but, again, I wasn't all that impressed with that.

I'm very much an advocate for purchasing games outright and paying for the hard work that developers put into creating games. Yes...I know I know I know...I must be a goody two-shoe nerd for believing so...but, that's my moral decision and I plan to stick by it. :)

Variation-XBA
10-31-2002, 02:13 AM
Hope they can detect it :)

dougi3000
10-31-2002, 09:09 AM
Yes, MS said they can detect modchips.
I think banning xboxes is also a good idea.

MS will sell Live games (since you have to disable the chip, you need the original game to play).

:D

techie
10-31-2002, 05:31 PM
I remember reading somewhere that MS specifically said
that modded Xbox's could be detected, I believe it was
through the bios, which may be why the toggle switch was
implemented, as Maximus said. I'm still looking for the
specific info I read about an Xbox with a mod chip. I did
find this in the terms of use

7. SERVICE OPERATION AND EQUIPMENT

Xbox Live may only be accessed with an unmodified, except for Microsoft authorized repairs and upgrades, Xbox video game console. Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute or use for other purposes either the hardware or software of this system, is strictly prohibited and may result in termination of your account and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft. Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute or use for other purposes either the hardware or software of this system, is strictly prohibited and may result in termination of your account and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft. Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security, and such users may also incur criminal and/or civil liability.

http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/beta/termsofuse.htm

I'll keep looking for the other info and post it when I find it.