PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell = Best Game Ever

JJaX
10-31-2002, 09:18 AM
OXM issue 13 finally hit NJ magazine stands. So I picked it up along with Shenmue II :D
I have been dying to play the splinter cell demo, and let me say this. Splinter cell is the best game I've ever played in a long time. It just oozes quality. I’m literally lost for the words worthy enough to describe this game. I must have played the demo level 10 times last night. There is just so many ways to approach any given situation. And the game really gives you a feeling like your really there lurking the shadows. The lighting and textures are amazing, it’s the first game I’ve ever played where the lighting actually affects game play. The haunting music really sets the mode too, with a womans voice singing this chilling yet soothing song. When im creeping up behind someone I really get this sensation that im about to end somebody’s life.. And this is a must play with 5.1, but I actually enjoyed it more with a nice set of head phones on. The sound is simply amazing, you really get a great sense of what type of room you are in. Ambient sounds also drown the sounds you make making creeping even easier. And the night vision and thermal goggles are amazing. Nothing like taking the lights out and turning on your night vision for a nice kill. If a guard wonders off and you take out the lights when he returns he will be spooked out and say things like “that’s not good” As you sit there in the pitch black seeing him clear as day (night vision) while he creeps around cautiously. Oh man, im getting chills thinking about it! And im not even going get into gadgets and split jumping, I let you guys figure all that out ;)

And im urging you people, please don’t get walk through guides and ruin this great game.

Do yourselves a favor, get the demo disc and play it. But play it right. Make sure its dark and you have the sound blasting or headphones on. Best game ever? I think so.

BUY THIS GAME WHEN IT COMES OUT!!!!!!!

Dre
10-31-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
OXM issue 13 finally hit NJ magazine stands. So I picked it up along with Shenmue II :D
I have been dying to play the splinter cell demo, and let me say this. Splinter cell is the best game I've ever played in a long time. It just oozes quality. I’m literally lost for the words worthy enough to describe this game. I must have played the demo level 10 times last night. There is just so many ways to approach any given situation. And the game really gives you a feeling like your really there lurking the shadows. The lighting and textures are amazing, it’s the first game I’ve ever played where the lighting actually affects game play. The haunting music really sets the mode too, with a womans voice singing this chilling yet soothing song. When im creeping up behind someone I really get this sensation that im about to end somebody’s life.. And this is a must play with 5.1, but I actually enjoyed it more with a nice set of head phones on. The sound is simply amazing, you really get a great sense of what type of room you are in. Ambient sounds also drown the sounds you make making creeping even easier. And the night vision and thermal goggles are amazing. Nothing like taking the lights out and turning on your night vision for a nice kill. If a guard wonders off and you take out the lights when he returns he will be spooked out and say things like “that’s not good” As you sit there in the pitch black seeing him clear as day (night vision) while he creeps around cautiously. Oh man, im getting chills thinking about it! And im not even going get into gadgets and split jumping, I let you guys figure all that out ;)

And im urging you people, please don’t get walk through guides and ruin this great game.

Do yourselves a favor, get the demo disc and play it. But play it right. Make sure its dark and you have the sound blasting or headphones on. Best game ever? I think so.

Yo bro, can't wait for my mag to hit my mailbox so I can check that shizzy out!

I picked up Shenmue 2 yesterday and watched the 1 and a 1/2 hour intro dvd (Shenmue I story for all you not in the know). And dayum that got me pumped to play. I've never had a game where I start off knowing so much about the character! I had no idea what to expect from Shenmue II since I never played the 1st, but so far its nothing shy of amazing! It plays like a movie and I'd been wanting a game with its main focus being story for a long time. What you think of it so far?

JJaX
10-31-2002, 09:51 AM
Hey dre

Yeah the DVD refreshed my memory. A lot of fast foward and play, fast forward and play. But than I popped in shenmue II and felt like I logged back into the matrix or something. The game just looks amazing. And you gotta love the camera and filters. The game is simply beautiful and I cant wait to get into it some more.

I gotta meet someone at 8:00 AM *wink* *wink* (that’s where I am, wanted to clue you in without spoiling it for others)

Spaztic
10-31-2002, 09:54 AM
I told you this game is going to own. I have played the demo quite a few times!

Dre
10-31-2002, 09:54 AM
Hey dre

Yeah the DVD refreshed my memory. A lot of fast foward and play, fast forward and play. But than I popped in shenmue II and felt like I logged back into the matrix or something. The game just looks amazing. And you gotta love the camera and filters. The game is simply beautiful and I cant wait to get into it some more.

I gotta meet someone at 8:00 AM *wink* *wink* (that’s where I am, wanted to clue you in without spoiling it for others)

Ya, I'm about 1 day past that point. But I didn't get much done except for lose all my money gambling :( hehehe...

check out more of my impressions on the game in my thread in the new releases. No spoilers.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
10-31-2002, 04:47 PM
Coolness,...so what do you think?....Game of the year....... I can't wait to buy it....splinter cell is going to turn some heads this xmas:)

Discretion
10-31-2002, 05:45 PM
I got the magazine today in the mail. I still have to try out the demo but all I can say is it looks good!

FuNkY mOnK
10-31-2002, 06:17 PM
Question, how do I use my gadgets in my inventory once activated? For instance the optic fiber camera, and also I thought you can open doors just wide enough to peek in, I’m finding that when I open doors it’s like I’m coming home to take a crap, not very stealthy. Any hints? :confused:

XBX_Junior_XBX
10-31-2002, 06:27 PM
great now i am even more excited about this game!!!! : P

THX TO YOU GUYS!!! : )

Discretion
10-31-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by XBX_Junior_XBX
great now i am even more excited about this game!!!! : P

THX TO YOU GUYS!!! : )

No problem bro!

JJaX
10-31-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
Question, how do I use my gadgets in my inventory once activated? For instance the optic fiber camera, and also I thought you can open doors just wide enough to peek in, I’m finding that when I open doors it’s like I’m coming home to take a crap, not very stealthy. Any hints? :confused:

You press and hold the black button. Than you use the D-pad to look around your inventory. Once a gadget is equiped just press "R" and you use it. Than you can just tap the black button to toggle between the last two items you used.

E Nomini Patri
10-31-2002, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the "Way-cool" info JJax, I'm buying this game for sure now! What are the weapons like, by the way?

Arven
10-31-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

Fiber optic camera: once it's equipped, press right trigger when you're standing next to a door. You can use the right thumbstick to swivel the camera.

Stealth opening doors: press A when you're close to a door, but don't select "open" yet. Move the left thumbstick down. That should bring up a stealth door-open option. Select that, and it'll open the door just a crack. Then, if you want to open the door wide, press the thumbstick button up.

That's as close as I could remember. I could have the thumbstick directions a bit off.

dougi3000
10-31-2002, 11:43 PM
Stompy wrote a thread that basically EVERYTHING you need to know about the demo, and all the cool stuff.
give it a read. it is good.

http://s2.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=30535&topic=4731729

l Maximus l
11-01-2002, 01:15 AM
JJaX...you know you're one of my dawgs, dude....and because of your testimony on Splinter Cell, I'm definately going to take a very serious look at this game and especially check out the new demo. Damn...you got me pumped! :cool:

FuNkY mOnK
11-01-2002, 05:54 AM
Thanks Arven and JJax for the info.can't wait to try it tonigth.

JJaX
11-01-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
JJaX...you know you're one of my dawgs, dude....and because of your testimony on Splinter Cell, I'm definitely going to take a very serious look at this game and especially check out the new demo. Damn...you got me pumped! :cool:

Hey Maximus!!!!! Sure wish I could be on here more often and talk to you guys again! How is everything? Drop me a PM sometime you Bloke. :cool:

Thanks Avren for the stealth door tip. I couldn’t figure that out. I’m telling you I go through the demo level 3 times a day. Hell ive been playing nothing but the demo and I just bought shenmue II :D That’s gotta say something.

I haven’t been this pumped for a game since halo. Seems like 1 year after the release we are about to get the gaming experiences we’ve been waiting for. And splinter cell is beyond my expectations.

Leviathon
11-01-2002, 12:14 PM
All this talk about Splinter Cell is makin' me horney for the Demo...

I subscribed to OXM about 3 to 4 weeks ago. I have not gotten my first issue yet, but I am thinking of going and buying it so I can play the Demo....I'm afraid that they will send my October's issue instead of November or do something really stupid like that...

JimmieDoogan
11-01-2002, 03:40 PM
Yes it is... it's freakin amazing... even my sister of all people liked it. Can't wait for this game... OMG, it's amazing!!!!

l Maximus l
11-01-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
Yes it is... it's freakin amazing... even my sister of all people liked it. Can't wait for this game... OMG, it's amazing!!!!

Damn......

That's it...I'll be right back...I'm going to go pick up the December issue eventhough I have a subscription...I want to play it now........

I have to see what all this comotion is about..........

l Maximus l
11-01-2002, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know if Splinter Cell includes a multi-player option?

Anubis
11-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know if Splinter Cell includes a multi-player option?

I don't think it does and even if it did how would that work. Would there be like 3 Sam Fisher's trying to grapple down shooting each other. Sounds fun, but when you think about it, it sounds kinda of stupid.

SplinterCell seems like a game that will work best when left alone as a single player. Going through the missions would be more than fun for me.... the lighting does look amazing and the graphics are sharp and crisp... can't wait to pick up the mag and try the demo... I hope it's the next big thing...

Speaking of multi-player, what if it had XBL....:eek:

Drew12
11-01-2002, 11:42 PM
Well, I just got through playing the demo and thought it was great. The only grudge I have for it is getting used to the camera.

Well, thats all, it is just awsome

dave_m123
11-02-2002, 06:34 AM
I love this game even though it took me a while to get used to normal contorls. Cant wait to turn on Inverted controls in the final game. It looks simply amazing. Does anyone love the effect in heat vision were all the electricity is showing up. I love shooting the tv out in the storeroom and seeing it fade into the background.

Tinny
11-02-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by dave_m123
I love this game even though it took me a while to get used to normal contorls. Cant wait to turn on Inverted controls in the final game. It looks simply amazing. Does anyone love the effect in heat vision were all the electricity is showing up. I love shooting the tv out in the storeroom and seeing it fade into the background.

Yup. I love the way body heat goes aswell. Brilliant and takes me back to AvP. Too bad you prefer inverted controls on it, but you probably will love it when you change it to inverted. Control-wise it took me, honestly, 10 seconds to get use to moving and using the camera. I really can't think how this would be able to play on the PC w/ keyboard and mouse. Mouse to move the camera yup. It's better to use the mouse whilst you aim you gun... but then again, you're not expected to be really quick at aiming and shooting. But using the keyboard to move the character will be hell. It's much more smoother using the pad to move and sneak then it is to do with the keyboard. You got the jump/split jump, roll, grab and duck to consider too. They are more instinctive on the pad then they are on the keyboard.

shrew king
11-02-2002, 02:47 PM

my freind got the demo too, my god, this game is the funnest thing ive ever played. there are so many things you can do, so many strategies to use. the gadgets are awesome, there isnt one bad thing about this game. keep in mind all i have played is the demo, it was THAT good.

l Maximus l
11-02-2002, 03:22 PM
Well, Splinter Cell got delayed until the 18th...before, it was November 12th...but, hey, one more week? Not too bad at all :)

robnyack
11-03-2002, 10:58 AM
we are constantly being told that this game or that game will set the gaming bar to new levels......well, all I can say is, this time they friggin' mean it.

holy cow....i've never been so blown away by a demo.

dougi3000
11-03-2002, 12:30 PM
multiplayer?

can you say "CO OP"?!?!!

CO OP would RULE!!!!!! on XBLIVE!!!!!
WEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

mongolhunter
11-03-2002, 02:25 PM
Co-op?! Imagine it with the microphone for tactics! They should definitly put Co-op into this game, it would actually be one of the most amazing experiences on a multiplayer game.

mtbaird5687
11-03-2002, 02:38 PM
yah thatd be supa cool, like one person could be talkin to you but there to loud so gaurds here. or they go around the corner and cough so a guard goes to check it out and you get him from behind. i mean they say your going to be able to control teamates on other games, i wonder if a think what i said would work.

EphMune
11-03-2002, 07:22 PM
I have heard that the demo is 5 min. long, 10 min. long, and 20 min. long. Which is it? and also, i hope that this is not the "whole" first level because that is way to short. I read somewhere that it was "the third part of the first level' and i hope this is true. i also heard that the level in the demo doesnt even exist in the real game and was just created for the demo. does anybody know if any of this is true, because i am pumped about this game and i want it to be long, real long! thanks in advance

HaloMasterVI
11-03-2002, 07:44 PM
Could anyone give me a Splinter Cell trailor link?

JJaX
11-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by HaloMasterVI
Could anyone give me a Splinter Cell trailor link?

Heres some movies. I pretty sure you can watch the streams without a member ship.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/media/0,11100,561102,00.html

Watching movies wont do justice though :D

JJaX
11-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by EphMune
I have heard that the demo is 5 min. long, 10 min. long, and 20 min. long. Which is it? and also, i hope that this is not the "whole" first level because that is way to short. I read somewhere that it was "the third part of the first level' and i hope this is true. i also heard that the level in the demo doesnt even exist in the real game and was just created for the demo. does anybody know if any of this is true, because i am pumped about this game and i want it to be long, real long! thanks in advance

It depends how you approach it.

If your going through a new level and want to do it right the 1st time, Take your time and use all your gadgets.

I have the demo level down. I can beat it by killing everyone. Or i could beat it by knocking everybody out. Or i can beat it with only having to knock one person out so it was like i was never there ;)

Just play it!!!

JJaX
11-05-2002, 09:05 AM
Here's some moves that the demo really doesn’t tell you how to do………

When running press and hold the Crouch button to roll into the crouch position.

When your back is against the wall and your leaning out, press the aim button to aim around corners.

When opening a door, press and hold the interact button, while holding it press down with the left analog to open the door stealth mode. Press Up to open the door, press down to close it.

When holding a can, if you hold L you will throw it harder. More of a line drive.

When your gun is drawn, white reloads

If your gun isn’t drawn, if you press R when someone’s in front of you, you will punch him out. (kick ass)

While holding someone hostage (press A when your standing behind them) you can draw your gun. (Try that out on the top floor. Grab 1st guy, than walk up behind 2nd guy and pop him in the head)

Try out the split jump, when you 1st enter the building on the brick walls. Or on the last stair case to the top floor.

Another cool thing to try………

Kill all the guards on the 1st floor, sneak into the morgue and investigate the bodies(updates objectives). Than interrogate the scientist. There's a different conversation between the two of you. (just goes to show you how much detail and realism was put into the game)

Ninja Scroll
11-05-2002, 09:42 AM
WTF, a triple post,.. talk about bumping your thread down our throuts!!!:eek:

Well instead of reading da thread, I just read da title and first thing im thinking is, "why is junior saying best game ever" and it aint even out yet.:rolleyes:

Oh damn, I said dat out loud!:o

JJaX
11-05-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
WTF, a triple post,.. talk about bumping your thread down our throuts!!!:eek:

Well instead of reading da thread, I just read da title and first thing im thinking is, "why is junior saying best game ever" and it aint even out yet.:rolleyes:

Oh damn, I said dat out loud!:o

Listen here you slut. It may appear I posted 3 times in a row real quick. But I actually posted a few days apart and junk. And I wanted to mention this stuff without creating a thread. Don’t make me boss ball on your punk ass.

Ninja Scroll
11-05-2002, 09:54 AM

Listen here you slut. It may appear I posted 3 times in a row real quick. But I actually posted a few days apart and junk. And I wanted to mention this stuff without creating a thread. Don’t make me boss ball on your punk ass.

Slim, you need spell checker or summin, cause you aint even typing real words.:rolleyes:

Anywho, you betta check yo self before I call yo Boss to reck yo'self fool!
How get back to BK and flip me a Whopper, be'foe I whoop you!:cool:

btw, Splinter Cell is be dat beast, but best ever? Dat remains to be seen.

JJaX
11-05-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
I just read da title and first thing im thinking is, "why is junior saying best game ever" and it aint even out yet.:rolleyes:

Well when I find myself playing a 1 level demo over and over instead of my latest purchase, Shenmue II, that’s gotta say something. Hell all I play now is the splinter cell demo and Unreal Tournament on my PC now.

And I had to kick some ass in halo over the weekend.

Ninja Scroll
11-05-2002, 10:46 AM

Well when I find myself playing a 1 level demo over and over Hell all I play now is the splinter cell demo and Unreal Tournament on my PC now.

Looks like someone needs a life!

j/k!;) dat demo is aight, but I dont like to spoil a game I intend to get (I got it pre-ordered from www.gamestop.com w/ free shipping) so after playing it for about 30 minutes I quit.

But I was very impressed with Panzer Dragoon!! Im kinda glad it got pushed back into 2003 cause thier are waaaaaaaaaay too many Xbox games this year!

btw, good to know someone bought Shenmue II, it's a classic! I will get da Xbox version eventually,... but I dunno if I wanna go through it all over again... well see.:)

faceoff508
11-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Splinter Cell and Panzer Dragoon are one of the best game I have played. But I disagree with OXM i still think Halo is better than Splinter Cell!

Kortiz
11-05-2002, 05:46 PM
didnt oxm rectify that saying halo should have gotten a 10 or something, i dun got it but just something i heard throught he grapevine....

JJaX
11-05-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH
didnt oxm rectify that saying halo should have gotten a 10 or something, i dun got it but just something i heard throught he grapevine....

They said halo should have gotten a 9.99999999

or something like that

l Maximus l
11-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Man...I can't find any retailer that has a copy of OXM #13, the December issue...anywhere! It's crazy...I have a subscription, but, I wanted to purchase the magazine earlier so I could check out this demo...damn... :(

JJaX
11-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Man...I can't find any retailer that has a copy of OXM #13, the December issue...anywhere! It's crazy...I have a subscription, but, I wanted to purchase the magazine earlier so I could check out this demo...damn... :(

You might as well wait the 2 weeks.......

A long 2 weeks indeed. :(

l Maximus l
11-06-2002, 01:22 AM

You might as well wait the 2 weeks.......

A long 2 weeks indeed. :(

Yeah...I know I know I know...but, Unreal Championship will keep me plenty occupied until then :D Personally, I hate buying games back to back...I mean, look what the Splinter Cell demo has done to you and your Shenmue II purchase! :D

JJaX
11-06-2002, 07:24 AM

Yeah...I know I know I know...but, Unreal Championship will keep me plenty occupied until then :D Personally, I hate buying games back to back...I mean, look what the Splinter Cell demo has done to you and your Shenmue II purchase! :D

I know tell me about it :)

Shenmue II has just been sitting there collecting dust all because of a demo disc!!

I dont think im going to get around to shenmue in quite sometime. I gotta get MGS:substance, XBL, Unreal Champ, mech assault and splinter cell.

Before we were getting a good game every once and a while. Now we are being blitzed by huge titles! Ack!!

Dre
11-06-2002, 01:39 PM
This might sound dumb, but how do you get that camera thing to work? I select it from my gadgets, but can't figure out how to use it! I thought this thing was for like peekin under doors and stuff. Someone please enlighten me.... :)

JJaX
11-06-2002, 01:51 PM
Select it with your inventory button. Walk up to a door and press R

l Maximus l
11-09-2002, 03:44 PM
Well, I finally got my OXM #13 with the Splinter Cell demo on it. I will have to say, this game is bad ass. I still have a ton of stuff to learn, though....I played it over and over for a couple hours. Good stuff...but, much more stuff I need to learn.

By the way, is there any place you can pick up more ammo? I ran out of bullets the first time...I guess I got a little gun happy :D

Dre
11-09-2002, 03:59 PM
Well, I finally got my OXM #13 with the Splinter Cell demo on it. I will have to say, this game is bad ass. I still have a ton of stuff to learn, though....I played it over and over for a couple hours. Good stuff...but, much more stuff I need to learn.

By the way, is there any place you can pick up more ammo? I ran out of bullets the first time...I guess I got a little gun happy :D

Upstairs where the surveillance system is, there are 2 doors on the far side (coming from the stairs). The one on the right contains a dead dude in a chair, the one on the left has a camera and stuff. In the left room, there is a desk, you can find ammo on it.

carlbme
11-09-2002, 03:59 PM

Yes, it's in the room filled with computers and two gaurds. When you go up the stairs and it turns to the left, continue straight, there will be two doors against the far wall. You'll want the one on the far left. You'll need to use a disposable lockpic to open it up and on the table in there is plenty of ammo for you.

EDIT: Well looks like I type to slow, DRE beat me to it

EHWfedPres
11-09-2002, 04:03 PM
I ran out of ammo also...got a little carried away shooting all the glass in the medical room. :D

Dre
11-09-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
I ran out of ammo also...got a little carried away shooting all the glass in the medical room. :D

I hear ya, shooting glass, computers, computer screens, and more. ehehehe.. this game is so cool :)

EHWfedPres
11-09-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Dre

I hear ya, shooting glass, computers, computer screens, and more. ehehehe.. this game is so cool :)

I only shot one screen, u threw a coke can at the rest...and yes, i always carry an empty coke can with me...

too bad the can dosent break glass...but it busts lightbulbs. :)

l Maximus l
11-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the info! Get this, though..>I went into that room (not looking for ammo, but, I will next time...thanks!)...and, when I was in the room (the left door of the surveillence room), I shot the window out that had the dead dude sitting in the chair. I jumped up on the desk and went into the room with the dead dude in it. I used my other lock pick downstairs and I used the only other one to get into the left door in the surveillence room. I actually got stuck in the room with the dead dude in the chair and could not open the door or jump back through the glass window.

I found the first bug!!! :D hehe...

But, it was caused by my stupidity :confused: