PDA

View Full Version : Shenmue 2 first impressions (from somone who didn't play 1st one)

Dre
10-31-2002, 09:49 AM
I picked up Shenmue 2 yesterday and watched the 1 and a 1/2 hour intro dvd (Shenmue I story for all you not in the know). And dayum that got me pumped to play. I've never had a game where I start off knowing so much about the character! It starts off slow (still talking about dvd movie), but you get into it pretty quickly. This was actually shown in Japanese theatres as a feature film so its been done quite well. Near the end I kept wanting to just pop the game disc in so badly because the game looked so cool, but I think its important you watch it all. Theres also a short version that allows you to get the story necessary and get going right away on the game disc itself.

I had no idea what to expect from Shenmue II since I never played the 1st, but so far its nothing shy of amazing! It plays like a movie and I'd been wanting a game with its main focus being story for a long time. Controls are very intuitive and once you feel comfortable with them you can really immerse yourself in the beautiful world thats ready for you to explore.

Having the feeling that you don't know where to go and what to do in a game is always frustrating, but from what I've played so far, you need not worry with this game. Ryo, the main guy, is not afraid to ask locals for directions and most of the time, a local is more than willing to show you the way. This is another really neat feature where you can follow people automatically and you need only control your head (where you are looking). This lets you take in the breath-taking environments as well as getting familiar with your environment while you are still progressing "quest-wise". Its pretty cool.

Also, so far I've experienced one QTE (quick timed event) where Ryo started running after someone and different buttons, or directions were displayed on the screen in real-time. If you press the correct button fast enough you see yourself perform cool moves like dodging people or jumping over obstacles.

As for fighting, this game uses Virtua Fighter moves and boasts over 50 punches, kicks, grabs and counter/throws at your disposal. You even learn "master" moves which simply put..., rule.

I think anyone who enjoys a deeply involving rich story in a game should take a look at this title. Its looking to be one of those games I'm really happy I picked up!

Graphics are beautiful and the world looks very diversified. Clouds move, time changes and the population seems to have lives. You can move in and out of any building, converse with the shop owner, even ask about part-time work if you're so inclined.

Sound is DD 5.1 beauty, and the music so far has been excellent at setting the mood.

Let me know what you guys think about it.

Brevity
10-31-2002, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the Review. I think I am going to rent it first, I hope they include that DVD swank with the game. Peace

DZNUTZ
10-31-2002, 11:33 AM
thanx dre.
youve made me more interested inthis game then i was after reading the first batch of not to thrilled reviews.

please make sure and update us with your thoughts as you progress in the game

Heavens Gate
11-01-2002, 06:58 AM
The game is nothing short of amazing. I played through 1 and 2 on Dreamcast so I am still not sure if I'm picking this one up yet. But for anyone who hasn't played it, buy it now. It's worth every penny.:)