PDA

View Full Version : MS has to buy the rights completely to

kevgt2000
10-31-2002, 10:53 PM
SPLINTER CELL, this game will be a system seller!

Discretion
10-31-2002, 11:29 PM
I played the demo today and I must say WOW!!!!!! I am amazed in it and I can't put the damn demo down! SO FUN MAN!!!

kevgt2000
11-01-2002, 12:51 AM
@ss !

l Maximus l
11-01-2002, 12:56 AM
I'll likely pick it up...but, at this moment, I'm still more pumped up for Unreal Championship!

rockola
11-01-2002, 05:43 AM
seems like I read somewhere that MS does have complete exclusiveness of this game now, dunno how true it is. but I think the 3 or 6 month this is smart. if it sucks then they would be mad that they chucked out all that cash, and if its good, they have the chance to keep anyone else from getting it

Leviathon
11-01-2002, 08:18 AM
I am not sure if they have SC exclusive....Like GTA3 or Vice City..
But they have it for a period of time.... PS2 and GC may get it after 6 months or so or something like that....

Of course I may be completely wrong....and If it is an xbx exclusive....ROCK ON.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
11-01-2002, 08:27 AM
I agree Spliter Cell is going to be huge.....the only thing i'm worried about is if microsoft going to spend the bucks on ads/television to get the word out there. Not everybody are as informed as you guys. Plus i hope the fanbase doesn't go crazy if some nutjob reviewer......doesn't give it a high enough score.

odpr
11-01-2002, 08:51 AM
This game will be great , but one thing it's clear it's not going to be a console seller...

and not only that it's not going t to sell that good, actually a pc version will be out vary near the Xbox version making it impossible to be a console seller for the Xbox, why to spent seventy dollars (remember in pal version..) when u can play it from kaza for free??

think about it...
Actually this chritsems Microsoft have no amazing game to buy ...

and should I remind u that the new vice city is out,,...(by the way anyone played it ? ?)

meda1ni
11-01-2002, 09:07 AM
They should definitely buy the rights to this game......with this game and HALO franchise should be XBOX 1 & 2 punch.

Woocifer
11-01-2002, 09:11 AM
It might be a good idea for Microsoft to purchase the rights and licensing and then pimp this game out for the cash cow it is.

I'm sure everyone will enjoy or at least appreciate this game for some of the breakthroughs it has. But more importantly what would Microsoft rather have? A couple more console sales because of this game? Or more money through licensing by giving the game to other consoles to sell it for them.

Think of it in terms of Sega...they stopped making their system and focussed on software. Now they let nintendo of all people have Sonic on their system...are they making money? Hell yes, and they are on every console they could find too.

Which is better? Well M$ doesn't really need the money...but Splinter Cell may not be a strong enough contender to sell a console though personally I find the game brilliant and would be rather upset to learn it wasnt on a console that I purchased. Kinda like GTA...its too bad it isnt...I have it for PC but it just isnt the same.

Anyway...this game is just about the only life saver for Xbox right now in terms of coming out with something fresh and breakthrough. Most other titles have been pretty bland in terms of style, substance and new tricks. Though it's a PS2 title and looks a little wishy washy, that Raccoonis Thevius game has an amazing art style to it. That's what we need more of...style, flare and personality in some of these dead games.

But...the best is yet to come and there are some REALLY great titles ahead. So I'm gunna just sit and wait patiently till I get my Splinter Cell and not give a shigg about other consoles.

RudedogX
11-01-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by odpr
think about it...
Actually this chritsems Microsoft have no amazing game to buy ...

COUGH, COUGH

Whoa, excuse me while I try to recover from nearly choking on my water. Did I read that right?!? No amazing game to buy this X-mas?! You're in Israel, so I suppose that might mean you get your games later than the US (just a guess, but I would that might be true), but how can you not say there are no amazing games coming out?

Let's see, first off you have LIVE (not a game, but definetly better than any other system's online plans). Then the games you have are Unreal Championship, Splinter Cell, Shenmue 2, Sudeki, MechAssault, Ghost Recon, numerous other LIVE games, and I am sure I missed quite a few more. I am not mentioning Steel Battalion in this since it's 200 by itself and a lot of people will pass on it simply because of the price. I'll look at the other games coming out, but with those coming out in the next two weeks, those are the only ones that I've occupied my time researching.

rockola
11-01-2002, 11:00 AM
see the problem people are having and basicly is a big problem in the console bussiness is that games have to be a sequel for people to think of it as a good game. the reason people may think that the xbox has nothing is because the games that are going to be good are games that noone heard of, no console people anyway.

mech games have had a big following since way back in PC gaming, actually battletech was one of the first games to be played online, and thats where the whole mech warior and mech assault type of games came from. on the PC they have always been sortof SIMish. we all know that when it came to online deathmatch quake, unreal tornament, counterstrike has been IT. but consolers have been somewhat deprived of those games because 1 FPS games were never good on Consoles and 2 there were never any net connect.

splinter cell is probably going to be a better game than MSG2 sons of liberty, but a lot of people shrug it off because it isnt a name that they recognize. it will have to gain its respect the hard way and is going to have to do that is by being a good game and hoping word of mouth does the trick, sortof like halo. but the difference with halo is that people were already looking forward to this game a year or 2 before it became an xbox game (yes halo was origionaly a mac then PC game).

thats what I liked about PC gaming, there are favoritism but a game like neverwinter nights, dungeon siege or no one lives forever can come out and get respect on its own, and dont have to have no stinkin 2 or 3 behind its name. in console gaming its like if it isnt made by square, capcom, or isnt part of a 10 year old franchise its a rental. the bad thing is that games like UC and mech assault are part of succesfull franchises.

this is just something to think about on how much online gaming can impact the xbox, or any console. consoles have a larger user base than PC's so imagine rasing these numbers to a potential console userbase

if you look at the gamespy site right now, 11:30 eastern time on a work/school day and there are roughly 120,000 people playing online over the top 10 games. and those numbers dont include how many people are playing UO, EQ, DAOC, Earth and beyond, AC, AO and theres still other game playing services such as the zone.com, ea.

Slacker
11-01-2002, 01:30 PM
I've posted that Xboxgamers.com who has the best inside info, yes better than IGN or Gamespot, that Splinter Cell is a CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX, no GC or PS2 , with a PC version coming out .and if any of you had read ONE interview about splinter Cell , it most of therm, the devolopers were always questioning a PS2 version, I believe the lighting Effects, which is one of the KEY elements in the game , would look like crap, I mean if they can't even use a Lone flashlight as all source of light in the Thing, how is PS2 going to handle Splinter Cells Lighting,,,,

About the PC Version, okay how many people have a G3 or G4 , less than a Million more than a million??. and those who don't are they going to cough up the few hundred bucks to get one, or buy a whole new PC for Splintercell, or just spend 250.00 on an Xbox, with two free games , with the sega bundle,
and the PC version isn't written in stone to be out a week after Xbox's

ShannonX
11-01-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
I'll likely pick it up...but, at this moment, I'm still more pumped up for Unreal Championship!

same here max, i cant wait for UC to come out... it'll be the first game i have purchased in about 6 months.

l Maximus l
11-01-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA

same here max, i cant wait for UC to come out... it'll be the first game i have purchased in about 6 months.

6 months? Man, I thought I was the only one! Seriously...I haven't bought a game in so long...I've rented a few, but, nothing has remotely impressed me enough to put Halo back in its case. I play it nearly every day and I'm not close to being bored with it. This fact astounds me almost every day!

I've noticed that I am gearing down on Halo a little bit in the past few days...I'm really getting ready for Unreal Championship!! But, I must say: The words about Splinter Cell around the greatest website on the net, namely XBoxaddict.com, and from out bad ass members here, my curiosity is peaked and I am noticing a little foam coming out of my lips :D

hehe

And, for those who don't know, Splinter Cell will also be on the PC. So, XBox and PC is the only place you will find Splinter Cell...no PoS2 or LameCube.

FuNkY mOnK
11-03-2002, 07:49 AM
I remember halo was to come out for the pc than announced for the Xbox and then eventually make its way back on the pc, but still no date on halo for the pc. I think Microsoft is going to do whatever it takes to keep SC exclusive on Xbox at least until SC2. This is a strategic move, and knowing Microsoft I don’t see any other way of approaching this. This is possibly one of the most sensitive situations since the planning and launch of Xbox. If this becomes exclusive to Xbox, Microsoft could very well set up Sony for the right hook on an open jaw.

rockola
11-03-2002, 05:37 PM
Halo is sortof a different situation. halo was being developed by bungie, bungie was its own company they made myth, oni and some other games. they also made a game years ago for the mac called marathon man, which is similiar to halo as far as the main characture. halo was shown at an e3 event before the xbox came about. MS bought bungie when it was getting xbox underway. now bungie and halo belongs to MS. splintercell isnt owned by ms so they have to make deals to keep it only on xbox

Frink
11-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

6 months? Man, I thought I was the only one! Seriously...I haven't bought a game in so long...I've rented a few, but, nothing has remotely impressed me enough to put Halo back in its case. I play it nearly every day and I'm not close to being bored with it. This fact astounds me almost every day!

I've noticed that I am gearing down on Halo a little bit in the past few days...I'm really getting ready for Unreal Championship!! But, I must say: The words about Splinter Cell around the greatest website on the net, namely XBoxaddict.com, and from out bad ass members here, my curiosity is peaked and I am noticing a little foam coming out of my lips :D

hehe

And, for those who don't know, Splinter Cell will also be on the PC. So, XBox and PC is the only place you will find Splinter Cell...no PoS2 or LameCube. I'm really excited for UC also, that and Mechassault should keep me busy for quite some time.

Hey Max, what's your XBC ID? Mine's Professor_Frink, if you ever want to play just PM me....we'll have to play some time.

kevgt2000
11-03-2002, 11:08 PM
http://www.xbox.com/ca/better_on_xbox/betteronxbox_article4.htm

read you see

Cesar902
11-04-2002, 12:16 AM
well last time I checked Gamecube was getting many games of Tom clancy's franchise? I am very excited that Splinter Cell is only for XBOX.

Shadow20002
11-04-2002, 02:22 PM
Abel – Are there many secrets within the game? Y'know gamers love that kind of thing.

Ferland – Well..

Look like there will be few or none of secrets in this game. :rolleyes:

Cesar902
11-04-2002, 04:07 PM
There will be plenty of secrets, well if you read the Official Xbox magazine you will find it