PDA

View Full Version : XBOX linking?

mulamutti
11-01-2002, 09:44 AM
Hi, i have a new xbox....and was wondering about how to link it and my friend's xbox together.

I have a network running at home, and the thing is i have one tv downstairs and one upstairs. i obviously don't have a long enough cat 5 crossover cable to hook the two xboxes up.
but can i just hook it up to the lan with normal lan cables.
will they link that way??

Chaotic
11-01-2002, 09:49 AM
Yes, thats how it works.

Use a regular striaght through cable from your xbox's nic to your switch on your network and vise versa for the one downstiars.

Just plug in and play!!! :D

mulamutti
11-01-2002, 09:59 AM
Dang!! that just made my xbox purchase sooooo much more worth it. i have 4 other friends with xboxes...and we are gonna have halo party's now...with all my other friends. so 16 player halo party at my home..hahah
anyways, I also heard about some software that allows you to connect to the internet and play games like halo.
Is this true? somehting like xbconnect.com.
does this work? Does it tinker with anything in your xbox? cuz i don't wanna wreck my precious xbox.
any other intersting software to download to make the xbox more worth while???
Thanks for the info.

Chaotic
11-01-2002, 10:22 AM
http://www.xbconnect.com/ or or gamespy has something also but i would use the XBC mod its way faster!!!

This is software that runs on your pc, so you need to have your computer turned on and accesible to the internet and hooked upto the same lan that your xbox is on!!

It's very easy to setup!!!

mulamutti
11-01-2002, 10:25 AM
Where can i get this xbox mod???
and i dunno if wanna tinker with my xbox...is that a good idea?

Chaotic
11-01-2002, 10:33 AM
Download it from the xbconnect website and install it on your pc.

Its a piece of software that runs on your computer it doesnt affect your xbox!!

Leviathon
11-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Remember with 3 or more xboxes you are going to need a hub to link them together...

FYI in case you did not know that...

Chaotic
11-01-2002, 01:21 PM
He has a network running in his house already so he is good to go!!!

:cool:

l Maximus l
11-01-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by mulamutti
Where can i get this xbox mod???
and i dunno if wanna tinker with my xbox...is that a good idea?

Hey, Mulamutti...I've been playing Halo on-line with XBConnect for several months now...it's simply bad ass...you won't leave your house for many many weeks :D

Download the free software at www.xbconnect.com . Just run a CAT 5 patch cable into the uplink port on your switch from your modem and run a CAT 5 cable from your XBox to any available ports. Finally, run a final CAT 5 cable from another available port to your ethernet card on your CPU and WHAMO!!

In fact, while you're there...look me up :)

BCan
11-01-2002, 06:50 PM
XBConnect isn't a software mod for your XBOX, it is a software program that runs on your PC, like Gamespy, that will find the XBOX communications PORT on TCP, and enable it to be diverted out onto the internet...

XBOX Live is where the software will be loaded onto the XBOX itself and get the XBOX online to Microsoft's servers to match you up with people...

carlbme
11-01-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
[B]

Hey, Mulamutti...I've been playing Halo on-line with XBConnect for several months now...it's simply bad ass...you won't leave your house for many many weeks :D

I dunno, if you suck you will not play it much.

My wife and I tried it for the first time last weekend and we so got our butts kicked. While fun it was frustrating and humiliating.

XBX_Junior_XBX
11-01-2002, 08:08 PM
I bet $10 bux that nobody here can beat in HALO or MOTO GP. I challenge anyone here who dares to confront me!!! : P

Reclaimer
11-01-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by XBX_Junior_XBX
I bet $10 bux that nobody here can beat in HALO or MOTO GP. I challenge anyone here who dares to confront me!!! : P

Sit down Shirley, For everyone that says that, there's 10 better than you.

Anyway, is there any bandwidth degradation when you run wireless (sending signal through 3 rooms in an apartment) to a network? I've always wondered about that.
That's how I'm going to have to get hooked up. I don't feel like spoiling and unspoiling 100 feet of Cat 5 everytime I want to play.

Zion
11-01-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by XBX_Junior_XBX

Didn't I leave you lying in the sand in the hairpin at Jerez the other night? How did that sand taste?