PDA

View Full Version : Vice City--what's the big deal?

davidx
11-01-2002, 08:18 PM
What's the big deal about Vice City?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like it's just another version in the GTA series.

What are the major differences? More vehicles? The ability to enter buildings? Is it as ridiculously (sp) hard as the pt. 3?

Then again, who cares. I don't even own a PS2...yet!!! :D

Xman D:cool:

WeeMan
11-01-2002, 09:36 PM
motorcycles, walking in buildings is a big deal.
;)

XBX_Junior_XBX
11-01-2002, 09:56 PM
what, hum, are you insane?? This game is just awesome. This is the best game of the world. Just play the game and you will see how this new sequel is different from the first one!!! : P

borka105
11-01-2002, 10:34 PM
I would rather play a level in splinter and accomplish an awesome goal, then walk around cluelessly in gta with a flamethrower and burn things.

Doesn't really appeal as "cool" to me.

-Borka105

Knight
11-01-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by borka105
I would rather play a level in splinter and accomplish an awesome goal, then walk around cluelessly in gta with a flamethrower and burn things.

Doesn't really appeal as "cool" to me.

-Borka105

Hey are you getting Mech Assault??

borka105
11-02-2002, 08:22 AM
I dunno. The bottom line was I had $500, and I could have easily bought a ps2 and several games, or a gamecube and several games, but I chose the xbox because of the games it has.

GTA must have something that makes million and millions of people buy it, but it doesn't appeal to me.

that's all
-Borka105

Heavens Gate
11-02-2002, 09:18 AM
I thought part 3 was hard as hell. I had vice city in my hand last night and put it back. I don't have time for long, hard games. If thet had a code to unlock all missions and cities I would buy it in a minute.

Woocifer
11-02-2002, 10:19 AM
I played it last night. The game is fun and I would buy it if it was on my console...but I have one HUGE MAJOR gripe about this game.

BTW the only reason this game is so 'cool' is because of the hype. The graphics are not the best, the animations are all right but are kinda off...and the story line builds but never really feel fluid.

Anyway like I said its a great game and I would buy it because I've enjoyed the series since day 1 but what bugs me about this is when you run around in GTA Vice City it looks like you're stoned while playing the game.

The camera is very wishy washy and the graphics on screen smear like there is no tomorrow. I couldn't believe how smeared the graphics are. I've noticed PS2 uses a lot of this smear/trails effect...but in this game its just unforgiving!

Great game...but lose the friggin smear thing!

yall
11-02-2002, 11:06 AM
I read somewhere that you can turn off the anti-aliasing (smearing). I don't know if this is true though. Usually options like that are reserved for PC games, and not consoles.

Knight
11-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Woocifer
I played it last night. The game is fun and I would buy it if it was on my console...but I have one HUGE MAJOR gripe about this game.

BTW the only reason this game is so 'cool' is because of the hype. The graphics are not the best, the animations are all right but are kinda off...and the story line builds but never really feel fluid.

Anyway like I said its a great game and I would buy it because I've enjoyed the series since day 1 but what bugs me about this is when you run around in GTA Vice City it looks like you're stoned while playing the game.

The camera is very wishy washy and the graphics on screen smear like there is no tomorrow. I couldn't believe how smeared the graphics are. I've noticed PS2 uses a lot of this smear/trails effect...but in this game its just unforgiving!

Great game...but lose the friggin smear thing!

Did you know that the graphics on the pc version of GTA3 are alot better then Vice City, just wait for the pc version if you like this game!?

Shadow20002
11-02-2002, 03:48 PM
What about people in GTA: Vice City ? When i'm going to my friend's house, then he show me the big hit (GTA 3), it's cool but what is just weird, is about the people in city. There are all the same !! What i'm talking about is when you cross a corner, don't be surprise if you see 2 old mans exactly the SAME. You can also see up to 4 clones at time. So what about in GTA: Vice City ? I'm wondering if they make something like Morrowind... (unique character each one)

davidx
11-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Good point Shadow. If all the citizens in the city look the same, that's soooh weak.

Morrowind had great unique characters, MAFIA (coming to Xbox soon!) has different-looking people all over the city, so why doesn't Vice (or does it)?

I'll wait the 8 months 'till it comes to PC. Argh. :(

X:cool:

HaloMasterVI
11-02-2002, 07:25 PM
First off, I've been an avid fan of the GTA series since Pt. 1 and GTA3 and VC csme as a disappointment to me...why you ask? because the combat BLOWS! Gimmie a break! You shoot one gang member and the rest of them just stand there like nothing happened. It moves very choppy. Missions are ho hum repeats over and over again...the graphics are horrible, the soundtrack is crappy, I don't see what's so great about this one...

Young_Fledgling
11-03-2002, 02:02 PM
i thought this game was pretty damn good... me and my friend might be trading ps2 for xbox for like a week or something cuz i liked vice city so much....

NOW... the graphics are not that great and the animation ESPECIALLY the running is kind of bad.... but the game is just fun... all the slow mo cams when u take jumps on a bike or in a car is just plain cool... and the missions are pretty fun.....

one thing that was wicked when i was playing was i was driving in the middle of the street and jumped out of my car and an oncoming car nailed me and sent me launching into the river... it was soooo cool and hilarious... i dunno this game is just fun... i would buy it if i had a ps2.

DZNUTZ
11-04-2002, 12:18 PM
the trails and things of that nature is labeled "blur" in the display prefrences...u can turn it on and off.

yes their are MANY things about this game that could be fixed.
grahix,clipping. etc etc..

but the game is fun as hell.
and the soundtrack is probably the best to date in any game.
(no i'm not a fan of 80's music) but i do wish the kept the scarface tracks from gta3.

and as for it being hard.
yea..it sho the hell is.
thats fine by me. i don't really want a cake walk.

Haloandfevergod
11-04-2002, 08:58 PM
Its a easy way to get 5+ million dollars but look at it like this.

If this game was on the Xbox, Xbox could have just done what they did with DOA3 and came out with a updater and gave you new cars and a new place. i mean the diffence between this game and the 3rd one is just a couple little things. i think its just pathic on PS2's part that they didn't help out and come up with more crap for it

Haloandfevergod
11-04-2002, 09:02 PM
This game is kind of confusing

why would they put out a game with car and weapon updates

Just goes to show if this title was on the XBOX they wouldn't of had to make a new game (Then again it is a easy way to make millions). all they would have to do is exacty what they did with DOA3 just come out with a update for it on a demo disk or something. They should have atleast had it multiplayer or something add some spice into this game...... the franchise won't last long if they keep realeasing the same game over and over again

davidx
11-05-2002, 07:10 PM
You guys are sooh right. I finally played GTA VC and realize how over-rated the game is.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a PS2 hater. I was actually gonna spend the cash and get a PS2 just for this game. I really fell victim to all the hype.

The game's fun and all but my MAJOR beefs with the game are that it's GRAPHICS BLOW. GTA3 for PC looks sooooooh much better. If Vice City was on Xbox, it'd be a different story. Even when you go into buildings, the graphics just plain suck.

I was super-disapointed with the game after only an 1 hour of play. Yeah it's fun, but my PC and XBox have set a personal standard for graphics and gameplay.

I'm fine waiting the 8 months until this game comes out for PC. Until then I'll play the killer titles we have coming out THIS MONTH!!!

:cool:

EHWfedPres
11-05-2002, 07:36 PM
Game developers dont know what gamers want in video games...

I want to be able to walk down a street and kill 30 people, then get in a car and drive over 25 more and race down the street...I dont want to do a stupid linear mission...

Heavens Gate
11-07-2002, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
Game developers dont know what gamers want in video games...

I want to be able to walk down a street and kill 30 people, then get in a car and drive over 25 more and race down the street...I dont want to do a stupid linear mission...

Actually in Vice City, you can do that

LynxFX
11-07-2002, 12:18 PM
After playing GTA3 on the pc which was a HUGE improvement in performance and graphics over the PS2 version, it is hard to play Vice City and be impressed. The graphics are blurrier than before, and the controls still stink. The gameplay is still fun and they added alot more but I think Rockstar chose the wrong console to keep their game exclusive too. They have run out of power and their game is looking very dated as will the next version.

Bring on the PC version!! :)

DZNUTZ
11-07-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
After playing GTA3 on the pc which was a HUGE improvement in performance and graphics over the PS2 version, it is hard to play Vice City and be impressed. The graphics are blurrier than before, and the controls still stink. The gameplay is still fun and they added alot more but I think Rockstar chose the wrong console to keep their game exclusive too. They have run out of power and their game is looking very dated as will the next version.

don't get your hopes up...its not even in production yet. so if ya'll get it at all (which i belive you will) its gonna be AWHILE

EHWfedPres
11-09-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Heavens Gate

Actually in Vice City, you can do that

Thank you for that stunning report, Captian Obvious!

steveo_wrx
11-09-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

Quite true. The PC version is a real horsepower hog though. Don't think about running it without a high end machine. Playing with it knocked down to 680 resolution with a P3 1000, I take some real frame rate hits when there's a lot happening on screen.

I too wish this game had been introduced on the Xbox.

BeerMonkey
11-13-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by davidx
What's the big deal about Vice City?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like it's just another version in the GTA series.

What are the major differences? More vehicles? The ability to enter buildings? Is it as ridiculously (sp) hard as the pt. 3?

Then again, who cares. I don't even own a PS2...yet!!! :D

Xman D:cool:
gta vc is better than any other game on x box !

LynxFX
11-13-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by BeerMonkey

gta vc is better than any other game on x box !
In your opinion.

FuNkY mOnK
11-14-2002, 06:47 AM
If they put a character beer monkey in gta vc i'd buy it, and kill this mother fuc@er over and over again. in fact i'd run him over with the motorcycle after i shot him, and stuff him in one of the buildings, or pot holes if this is one of the added features.

OuFtb
11-16-2002, 11:52 AM
Vice city is almost a step back from part 3. I herad a review and there was alot of stuff wrong with it. The good thing is that people from xbox are coping what there doing and are planing on making there own game for xbox. It won't be the same but it will be somthing.

carlbme
11-18-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by OuFtb
Vice city is almost a step back from part 3. I herad a review and there was alot of stuff wrong with it. The good thing is that people from xbox are coping what there doing and are planing on making there own game for xbox. It won't be the same but it will be somthing.

I believe you are talking about Mafia, which is already out for the PC.

The PC version is fun. It starts off a bit slow but then improves alot.

y2kash_14
11-18-2002, 09:14 PM
Vice City = Best.......Game........Ever.......

steveo_wrx
11-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by carlbme

I believe you are talking about Mafia, which is already out for the PC.

The PC version is fun. It starts off a bit slow but then improves alot.

Yeah, Mafia is very good. The driving portion is much slower paced than GTA3 (and I'm assuming VC) because the cars are slower and you have to do a lot of tedious driving back and forth to your missions. The time machine back to the '30's is cool, but still it'd be nice to have the option to cut out some of the routine driving.

Where the game really shines, IMO is the gun battles on foot. Way better than GTA in that respect. Where GTA3 gets the nod is the over-the-top sheer craziness and flexibily of it.

VC = Best game ever ? That's a matter of taste. I'm thinking when all is said and done, I will prefer Splinter Cell. We shall see.

rwingd23
11-19-2002, 02:28 PM
i just like the game there are things you need to do and its a good way to shoot ppl without getting into trouble

salmiak
11-19-2002, 03:46 PM
has it been released in australia yet? if not, does anyone know when?