PDA

View Full Version : What will EGM rate Splinter Cell?

FuNkY mOnK
11-02-2002, 06:13 AM
If I’m not mistaking, EGM gave mgs2 a ten back when ps2 had it for it’s greedy self. But now a worthy contender is about to step into the ring. I’m playing Splinter cell with shi ty a ss rca cables imagine 480p on HDTV. Having played both games, graphically mgs2 has no chance, unless it uses splinter cells engine, and of course xbox power. Game play, splinter cell revolutionized the word stealth, from hiding in shadows, optic fiber, to opening doors ever so slightly. In short there is no fair comparison of the two when taking them for what they were meant to be, stealth masters. Here we have Sam fisher bad ass with true next generation hardware pleasure and gadgets and solid snake old graphics, no stealth what so ever and a skate board. If anything has been proven here, is that this game Splinter cell deserves ten across the boards, a new bar has been raised, lets see what the biased jerks at EGM give this true master piece and lets see how they convince the ps2 fan boys that it can be accomplished on a ps2. if they even see this one.

Knight
11-02-2002, 09:18 AM
I for one don't care what the ps2 fanboys at EGM give it!!

OXM give it a 9.6/10!!

Tinny
11-02-2002, 11:12 AM
OXM UK gave this a 9.0/10

That's harsh I know but they had pretty good reasons for that.

Basing this on the demo, so opinion will change later:

As a game, Splinter Cell is great, and is "up there" with the likes of Halo. As a stealth 'em up, Splinter Cell certainly sets a new standard and kicks every stealth games' ass in existence. To steal a XG description: Splinter Cell not only belittles Metal Gear Solid, it also humiliates MGS in ways only a dominatrix can imagine.

*Goes to another Splinter Cell thread*

SPARTAN VI
11-02-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Knight
I for one don't care what the ps2 fanboys at EGM give it!!

OXM give it a 9.6/10!!

Exactly, I don't care what the hell EGM rates anymore. I thought they were better than GamePro, but they have sunk to their level too.

Knight
11-02-2002, 11:45 AM
Game Informer is just as bad as EGM, the sucky part is I may have to renew my subscription!!

Shorezy
11-02-2002, 11:49 AM
OXM and OXM UK both gave it over 9.0/10. Everyone who has the demo (including myself) say it's amasing. Just play it for yourself, and trust me guys, there is NO turning back.

HaloMasterVI
11-02-2002, 07:30 PM
EGM is the only mag worth a crap nowadays...and looking at this latest issue, they are about to enter teh sub-crap category in my book...Shane Battenhousen stops medals for several Xbox games...HOW THE HELL DOES GHOST RECON GET RATED LOWER THAN SOCOM? "more difficult deeper user interface"! What?! Games are now rated LOWER if they have more options and custom ability? It's CRAP! The AI in SOCOM SUCKS, The AI IN Ghost Recon SUCKS...so how come GR gets rated lower?>!?! It makes NO SINCE! When EGM gave Halo all 10s I thought that EGM was fair...then, they give GTA Vice City all 10s?! What a frikkin JOKE! CAn you say..."lets hype what sells!"

I predict that Splinter Cell will end up going SILVER in EGM...and that's being optimistic!

VenoM
11-02-2002, 07:38 PM
my guess is about a 7. something or 8 only cause splinter isnt on ps2 right now but if it was im sure they would give it a 9 or 10:rolleyes: those bastages

HaloMasterVI
11-02-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by VenoM
my guess is about a 7. something or 8 only cause splinter isnt on ps2 right now but if it was im sure they would give it a 9 or 10:rolleyes: those bastages

Damn right man! Look at how bad they rated Dead to rights! Remember now, the Xbox version has NO LOAD times...when the load time filled PS2 version is released, watch EGM rate it higher than the Xbox version, or just as high...

If I were the Editor-in Chief of a multi-console mag, I'd rate ALL consoles EQUALLY(except GBA of course), not games per console!

but that wouldnt be fair since Ps2 sucks so bad!

Slacker
11-02-2002, 08:29 PM
EGm,IGN,Gamespot,Gamepro, all have one thing in common,
they suck..........why do you guys even buy mags, you can get the SAME info for free on the web, and OXM discs just screw up your Xbox anyway

SPARTAN VI
11-03-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by HaloMasterVI
EGM is the only mag worth a crap nowadays...and looking at this latest issue, they are about to enter teh sub-crap category in my book...Shane Battenhousen stops medals for several Xbox games...HOW THE HELL DOES GHOST RECON GET RATED LOWER THAN SOCOM? "more difficult deeper user interface"! What?! Games are now rated LOWER if they have more options and custom ability? It's CRAP! The AI in SOCOM SUCKS, The AI IN Ghost Recon SUCKS...so how come GR gets rated lower?>!?! It makes NO SINCE! When EGM gave Halo all 10s I thought that EGM was fair...then, they give GTA Vice City all 10s?! What a frikkin JOKE! CAn you say..."lets hype what sells!"

I predict that Splinter Cell will end up going SILVER in EGM...and that's being optimistic!

No one in the world could've ever said it better... The SOCOM and Ghost Recon comparison really pi55ed me off. If anything, Red Storm Entertainment has hit the great AI mark with every single Tom Clancy title. Too bad EGM is going down hill. They figured just because they moved to San Fransico they could pick up any unexperienced/unemployed dude on the street. Well, they've done it with their new crew. I doubt I will renew my subscirption, thats what the internet is for...:p

# 1 Stunner
11-03-2002, 08:13 AM
i cant believe this game got that high in oxm i played the demo and its amazing but if this game gets a 9.6 how does nba 2k3 get a 8.8 sumone explain that to me?

XBOX Dude
11-03-2002, 12:29 PM
my guess is egm will give it an 8.4 those *******s but if were ps2 it would get an 11, i know what your thinking it's only 1-10 but egm has a special score for all ps2 games it called the bias system

Shadow20002
11-03-2002, 02:28 PM
They rate games base on the specs of each system. So if they play a game on PS2, they will focus on gameplay just because the other things (graphics, loading time, etc) were outdate compare to other plaforms. I agree that EGM is little bit biase when they rate for our xbox titles. Just because the PS2 has mostly hot titles than Xbox. By the way, don't forget PS2 is the cover of EGM.

P.S. If they rate Splinter Cell lower than 9.0, i can just say they are blink or just don't want to know the true of the future !!! ;)

Penguin Hunter
11-03-2002, 03:21 PM
My guess is it will get a straight 10, game of the year, and everything else Halo got. Seriously, they were all that biased, they wouldn't have given all the props to Halo, DOA3, PGR, Oddworld, and the Xbox system itself when it first came out.

SPARTAN VI
11-03-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Penguin Hunter
My guess is it will get a straight 10, game of the year, and everything else Halo got. Seriously, they were all that biased, they wouldn't have given all the props to Halo, DOA3, PGR, Oddworld, and the Xbox system itself when it first came out.

That was the past...:( They have changed, if not, they were hiding it....:confused: :confused: :confused:

Shadow20002
11-04-2002, 02:42 PM

Damn right man! Look at how bad they rated Dead to rights! Remember now, the Xbox version has NO LOAD times...when the load time filled PS2 version is released, watch EGM rate it higher than the Xbox version, or just as high...

If I were the Editor-in Chief of a multi-console mag, I'd rate ALL consoles EQUALLY(except GBA of course), not games per console!

but that wouldnt be fair since Ps2 sucks so bad!

I can tell you something..... Dead To Rights is EXCLUSIVE to Xbox. Check the official xbox site of canadians http://www.xbox.com/ca. Namco has decided to cancel the PS2 version. ;)

HaloMasterVI
11-04-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Shadow20002

I can tell you something..... Dead To Rights is EXCLUSIVE to Xbox. Check the official xbox site of canadians http://www.xbox.com/ca. Namco has decided to cancel the PS2 version. ;)

Probably for the same reason I mentioned...as hard as D2R was, waiting 30 seconds to reload to live for 3 seconds would suck...kinda like Stuntman...

JJaX
11-05-2002, 11:21 AM

Probably for the same reason I mentioned...as hard as D2R was, waiting 30 seconds to reload to live for 3 seconds would suck...kinda like Stuntman...

Yeah stunt man was a joke. I played it at my friends and we were watching it load more than we were playing it.

Master Gracey
11-05-2002, 04:50 PM

Kinda like Totalled as well... I haven't seen load times that long since the original GTA on PSX! Only difference with Totalled was that you only get to play for about 5 to 10 seconds before you hit something you weren't supposed to hit and had to wait another 45 seconds to reload the level.

Highlite23
11-05-2002, 09:09 PM
I find myself ignoring reviews more and more. Splinter Cell is a phenominal game for numerouse reasons. After playing the demo, i could care less about any review.

I have it reserved and am on pins an needles waiting for it.

As far as PS2 is concerned, they will get it 6 months down the line but, as stated in OXM, they really don't know how the PS2 is going to handle this game.

Ratings are for lemings...Buy it, load it, and judge for yourself.

P.S. We have had the demo running in our store and NO ONE, i say again, NO ONE , has walked away whithout a resounding WOW. PS2 owners included.;)

FuNkY mOnK
11-06-2002, 05:37 AM
I really don't think this will go to the ps2 in six months. oxm hinted ps2 will most likely see splinter cell when xbox gets splinter cell 2.:D also while i'm here, this is why EGM sucks gorilla snot, they give xbox LOTR 37 and ps2 LOTR 52. why? on the xbox version the graphics are stunning over the ps2, but yet the game play is identical? it makes me sick, now we know where ps2 fans get this ill information for the xbox. If only Microsoft did not associate their name with the xbox, the ps2 would have been finished this year.

LOTR XBOX (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox/lordoftheringsfellowship) Read what EGM writes about the xbox version.

LOTR PS2 (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/lordoftheringsfellowship) now read what EGM writes about the ps2.

HaloMasterVI
11-06-2002, 03:43 PM
EGM will never learn. Altough I'd not pick up any LOTR titles myself, these reviews are just another example of games getting rated on the wrong scale...

Were any of you Xbox owners fotunate enough to see Max Payne for the PS2? Well, my friend and me both bought MP and he has a PS2 I have an Xbox. WE hooked both consoles up and the PS2 version is almost hilariously bad compared to the XBox version.

PS2 = No quick saves, longer load times(usually at least twice as long), graphics ugly and undetailed, choppy framerate, and in general, the gameplay was looser...you couldnt even see the bullets in bullet time.

I dont have the issue in front of me, but it seems to me the PS2 version was rated maybe half a point less, it should have been at least 2 full points IMO.

Look at Spiderman, the Xbox version has 2 exclusive levels, faster load times and much better graphics, EGM strikes again and rates the PS2 version just as high!

Now that GTA:VC is out of the way for EGM to review(I knew that one was gonna **** me off before it even was released) and there's really nothing special on the way for PS2 now, Im wondering if any PS2 games will get GOTM anytime soon, looking at the pathetic schedule, I think not.

People on this board seem to forget about what's also going to be reviewed against splinter cell...Metroid Prime. To me, this game looks like poop. No multiplayer in a FPS?! The last FPS I can think of with no multi is Wolfenstein 3d...but it IS Metroid...