PDA

View Full Version : A MUST-BUY game

Davidjazzman12
11-05-2002, 09:29 PM
Of all the years i have been gaming, of all the systems i have had and games i have played, there has not been anything like Shenmue.

The first i ever heard of shenmue was when i was ready Offical Dreamcast magazine. they made shenmue their cover story. "OH great", i thought. "Some stupid japanize fighting game/"
but after reading the review, i realized that it was more than that.

It was about a 16 year old, Ryo Hazuki, living in the small town of Doubita in Japan. One day, his father gets murdered by a mysterious man named Lan Di. Lan Di stole the 'Dragon Mirror' for Ryo's dad, Iwao Hazuki (a martial art teacher and sensei) and then killed him.
Ryo is not looking for answers. Who is Lan Di. Why did he kill his father. What are the mirrors and why does Lan Di want them.

FRom the begining, u are hooked into this game. You can do anything you want. You want to follow the plot? Go ahead. You want to goof off?

Go to the arcade, blow all of your money.

Go to the store and buy cassette tapes (hey, its 1986) and food. Go to the park and practice up on ur martial arts moves.

This game is truely amazing. The plot sucks u in like u would never believe.

But why am i telling u about shenmue 1? its not coming out for xbox.

Well the answer to that is
Shenmue 2X.

it was just realised, and the sequel to shenmue 1. (There are about 16 chapters in the game, with 3 to 4 chapters in each shenmue) shenmue 1 was considered a prolog, and shenmue 2 continues the story of Ryo, who is now in Hong Kong continuing his search for vengence and Lan Di.

ANd the great thing is- Shenmue 2x comes with the DVD SHENMUE THE MOVIE so u wont be completely in the dark about what exactly happens in shenmue 1.

Of course, there is nothing like actually playing the game. But u cant do that (unless u got DC) and the dvd touchs all of the main points.

Shenmue 2x is also amazing. about 3 to 4 times bigger than shenmuie 1, it also offers more options and things that ryo can do.
FOr instance, In sehnmue 1 ryo got a job as a forklift driver. in shenmue 2, he can p8ick from a number of part time jobs.

there is also gambling, including armwrestling, street fights, and gambling games.
And the plot continues to deepin. it is amazing.

I dont know what u r know thinking of this game, but i recomended it to my freind (sehnmue 1 back in the day) and he is very thankful that i did, for it is his favorite game. and he was against the game at first. he thought that it was gona be stupid. but he found this gem of a game.

So, this holiday, if u r looking to get a xbox game for urself or someone else, definetly pick up shenmue 2x. Its a 2-in-1 value, beacuse u get the shenmue 2 (better version than the DC one) plus u get teh shenmue 1 DVD movie!
you will not regret getting this epic saga by the mastermind creater Yu Sazuki. (creator of such games as hangon, afterburner, Outrun, and VIRTUA FIGHTER.)
and it is said that shenmue 3 is already in production. (Yu Suzuki has actually finished the whole saga already, but they are now producing the games.)
So this is defeintly a must buy.

Trust me. After you get it, you will be very thankful.

Variation-XBA
11-05-2002, 11:04 PM
Heh, I hated the game ;p hehe:)
Good I guess but not my style.

xboxgamer142
11-06-2002, 05:31 AM
I agree with Davidjazzman12 completely. Shenmue was my favorite game ever. Now Shenmue II...on XBOX! It's been my most wanted game and you have to buy it. It has great combat, great mystery, great action, great adventure, great interactivity, great music, great graphics, I could go on forever! I've been waiting for it for almost two years after I beat Shenmue. Shenmue II was also one of the top most wanted games at XBA always.

BUY IT! IT'S SO GOOD, THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO RENT IT!

FuNkY mOnK
11-06-2002, 06:35 AM
I love this game also, this is the only game where you actually feel the role playing and become emerged in its world. Shenmue is like good wine, good cigars. You have to acquire the taste. btw it's 1987 not 86.Davidjazzman12 i still have my issue of odcm with shenmue on the cover, actually i have all the issues from #1 up. i save every game magazine, i have a crap load.

Mercury
11-06-2002, 08:33 AM
I consider Shenmue to have been the worse video game in history. Video games are about having fun, but Shenmue fails in that respect by being, "too real". Having a job, having to sleep, needing money. These things aren't in and of thereselves bad, but those things border a sim. The problem here is that you don't have the sim posibilities that make a good simulation. Like changing clothes, changing your house decor, or more advanced interaction with objects.

So Shenmue fails as a sim, so what's left? A fighting game? Well, no one can safely say that they have as much fun fighting in Shenmue as they do in Soul Calibur, DOA, Tekken, or other fighting games. So it fails in that genre as well.

Let's try an adventure game. Again it doesn't go all the way here either. There is little to use your brain in finishing the game. There are no puzzles that mean anything. It's basic and not interesting at all.

It's a story game I guess. Not too many people like story games as video games. Because I can read a book for a story, but I can only experience video game fun in a video game.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
11-06-2002, 11:42 AM
I think that shenmue 2 is one of the best games ever made. At the same time i understand it's not a game that's going to appeal to the mass market. It's one of those games that doesn't have a middleground.....You love it or You hate it....I'm really disapointed that microsoft/sega with all of the power of the xbox didn't add that much to it. Still, i'm going to buy it because it still a great game, plus i want the movie pack in and i want to see a shenmue 3

JJaX
11-06-2002, 11:48 AM
I look at shenmue games as a interactive story. I loved the 1st one and im enjoying the 2nd one. THe photo book is such a great idea.

My only gripe is i wish they would have made better use of the xbox controllers duel analogs. I hate walking around with the D-pad.

BTW, in shenmue 1 you could go to the arcade and play space harrier and hang on. Are there any games in this one?

Afro Aura
11-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
I look at shenmue games as a interactive story. I loved the 1st one and im enjoying the 2nd one. THe photo book is such a great idea.

My only gripe is i wish they would have made better use of the xbox controllers duel analogs. I hate walking around with the D-pad.

BTW, in shenmue 1 you could go to the arcade and play space harrier and hang on. Are there any games in this one?
agreed mate, why did they have to use both as look?

EHWfedPres
11-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Shenmue 2 has extremely little replay value, so i suggest Deathrow instead. :)

Davidjazzman12
11-17-2002, 01:53 PM
JJAx, to answer your question, yes, there are new arcade games in shenmue 2. they include out run and After Burner.

And to whoever said that shenmue 2 is the worst game made,

u are very wrong. sehnmue is a little bit of everything.

It IS fighting, it IS RPG, it IS Adventure, and it IS strategy. You fight almost everyday in shenmue, its a adventure, u can do whatever u want, walk around, etc. and it is puzzling at some times. at one part of the game it took me like the whole day beacuse i couldnt figure out the "puzzle"

and yes, sehnmue DOES have much replay value.

I played shenmue 1 like 9 times now (completed) and sehnmue 2 for DC like 2 or 3. so yall will play it at least that many times on xbox.

Also, there are some great thigns in shenmue 2 that are secrets. like fan mei's birthday, the metals, duck racing.......

I am going to make a thread about how to get all of these events

if u really think shenmue is bad, but u havent even played it yet, dont be ignorant. atleast rent it. it comes with the shenmue 1 DVD (which problaby comes with the rented shenmue 2). so u can also see what happened in sehnmue 1 if u didnt get a chance to play the best game ever that came out on DC.

trust me on this, PLAY IT!! if u dont want to buy it, than atleast rent it, u will see how great it is and u willw ant to buy it

VenoM
11-17-2002, 02:21 PM
shenmue is one of the greatest games ever made...nothing else like it....i dont regret ever buying a dreamcast....even if that was the only game on dc...its worth it :p and shenmue 2 is also great....to bad i played it on the dc instead of the xbox....i just couldnt wait a whole year :D so i got it for the dc

JeremyX
11-17-2002, 05:50 PM
If you don't like Shenmue or the Dreamcast than I don't consider you a true gamer. It's that simple. Period.

The Dreamcast had sooo many good games to play that people are just barely finding out about now. People need to give credit where credit is due. :mad:

JeremyX
11-17-2002, 05:58 PM
I forgot to say how great this thread is. Well said both in your initial post and in your response.

Afro Aura
11-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Davidjazzman12
JJAx, to answer your question, yes, there are new arcade games in shenmue 2. they include out run and After Burner.
err..Jazzman you sort of missed 2 other games in there, Hang on and Space Harrier

great game this Shenmue 2 playing it again to get all the cut-scenes

Bigwig
11-17-2002, 07:33 PM
I love fighting in Shenmue becasue of how the story leads up to the fight.

Squidpie
11-17-2002, 07:57 PM
I loved Shenmue 1.... and I have Shenmue 2 for DC but I decided to wait and play it on Xbox because of the fact they would speak in english... I recently bought it and haven't really got started on it yet... but I look foreward to playing it... I like taking my time with it so it may take me most of this winter to finish it.... and Davidjazzman12... I would appreciate you posting anything that will help me not to miss something in it... as long as it does not ruin the storyline to much.

Afro Aura
11-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Squidpie
... but I look foreward to playing it... I like taking my time with it so it may take me most of this winter to finish it.... and Davidjazzman12... I would appreciate you posting anything that will help me not to miss something in it... as long as it does not ruin the storyline to much.
I think you better work a bit faster this time as you'll miss a couple of great cut-scenes :D

Davidjazzman12
11-18-2002, 06:03 PM
AFro Aura, i was just talking about the new games in shenmue 2

and yeah dont worry we wont ruin anything for yaz

if u ever need any help though, just let me, ur fellow shenmue freak, know

# 1 Stunner
11-18-2002, 06:29 PM
i guess i need to play this game it sounds amazing:eek: i guess ill have take time from xbl....but i got a feelling itll be worth it..

Afro Aura
11-18-2002, 07:20 PM
AFro Aura, i was just talking about the new games in shenmue 2
and yeah dont worry we wont ruin anything for yaz
if u ever need any help though, just let me, ur fellow shenmue freak, know
Thanks dude but I had already completed the game
I'm now playing it for the cut-scenes I've missed

awsome game this Shenmue 2:D

HaloMasterVI
11-18-2002, 11:50 PM
Shenmue was quite the game IMO. Playing Shenmue without a strategy guide kinda sucked because I couldnt read Japanese and I kept having to go to the street map over and over...the music was beautiful and the game in general was very immersive.

Davidjazzman12
11-20-2002, 08:58 PM
Hell ya!

Afro Arura have u gotten all the extras yet like:

Bronze, Silver, and Gold metals,
Fang Mei's Birthday,
Duck Racing,
etc.?

OUberLord
11-20-2002, 09:08 PM
I bought Shenmue II and ended up taking it back. Granted its a decent game, but its just way too slow paced. I played for roughly 10 hours and only fought two battles. The other thing that irked me was theres only four ways to make money in the entire game, either gamble, work as a gambler, pawn your stuff, or carry boxes around for chump change.

I suppose its an aqquired taste like someone said, just really wasnt my cup of tea.

Davidjazzman12
11-20-2002, 09:14 PM
its a shame that most of u never got a chance to play shenmue 1. it was TRUELLY amazing. even though shenmue 2 has like more options and beter gameplay, shenmue 1 is my fav of the series, and that problaby goes for everyone who has played both.

did u watch the shenmue 1 DVD?

in the begining the game is just unfolding. Disc 2 and 3 are the most amazing.

or wait this isnt dreamcast lol

ill just say part 2 and 3 are the best (there were 4 disks for DC but its all on one for xbox)

trust me u should of tried to get thru the begining the the middle is the best and the end is beutiful

OUberLord
11-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Yeah I found the movie to be very well done, IVe never seen a feature length movie rendered in a game engine. BTW, was that all filmed in the Shenmue I or II engine?

Once I get more time to play it ill probably rent the game and then ill reconsider buying it. I havent had a lot of time to play any single game lately, ive kept my save files for future use. Like I said though, I found the beginning gameplay to be quite slow.

Afro Aura
11-21-2002, 07:30 AM
Afro Aura have u gotten all the extras yet like:

Bronze, Silver, and Gold metals,
Fang Mei's Birthday,
Duck Racing,
etc.?
I can't get the gold metal as I can't beat that woman with Sarah's fighting sytle and QTE (you know who and where)

I've seen the cut-scene fight with Xiuying and Ryo, done the Birthday and the meals with the 2 girls

Have you done all of the pictures to get the 'extras'

PS don't want to but any spoilers in here, so I left out the names of the best cut-scenes

Davidjazzman12
11-21-2002, 07:48 PM
ya ya

wait what meal with the 2 girls?

and u have never done the "racing"? o wait, u can only do that if u get the gold metal. so keep trying