PDA

View Full Version : Does xbox support directx 9?

Tyan
11-06-2002, 08:43 PM
Does xbox support directx 9?

carlbme
11-06-2002, 09:04 PM
Nope, especially considering the fact that the Xbox has been out for a year now and DirectX9 was barely even in beta at the time of it's release.

I belive it does support DirectX8, although the next one should support DirectX9

Knight
11-06-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by carlbme
Nope, especially considering the fact that the Xbox has been out for a year now and DirectX9 was barely even in beta at the time of it's release.

I belive it does support DirectX8, although the next one should support DirectX9

XBox Supports Direct8.1
XBox2 will support some thing newer then 9, by that time there should be a Direct10 or 11!

dougi3000
11-07-2002, 11:01 AM
it should support DirectX9 with no problems.

From what i read about Xbox, the directX libraries are integrated with the GAME, it is NOT in the Xbox itself.

As the Developers libraries are upgraded, the games will use newer libraries. Good console design. :D

Hugh_Jass
11-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Even if you're wrong, they could easily upgrade the OS to include DX9 support. It could be done through LIVE or by disc.

Bottom line...if a game needs it they'll figure out a way to deliver it because the XBOX design is flexible enough to handle it.

Hugh_Jass
11-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Stop the presses. I'm having doubts about my earlier beliefs. I think the only DX9 chipset in production is on the ATI Radeon 9700, which means the XBOX cannot do DX9. Can anyone confirm?

dougi3000
11-07-2002, 07:39 PM
the radeon9700 has "full directx9 specs" which means that is will support everything that is in directx9 in hardware.

while most other video cards will be directx9 compatible which means that it will support some features that were carried over from directx5 thru 8, ie. directplay, directdraw, direct3D, etc.
The rest of the features will be software emulated.

If my TNT1.5 is directX8 compatible even though it is like 5 years old, I am sure the Xbox will be directX9 compatible.
I seriously doubt there will be many games (more than 2) that will use the new directX9 features extensively, so you don't have to worry about directX9 for another 2 or 3 years.

Hell, i still use my TNT1.5 since no damn games (more than 2) even use the Geforce 1-3 features extensively.