PDA

View Full Version : About the hard drive...

XBox4Life
11-15-2001, 06:45 PM
This question has probably been answered already but won't the XBox start to get slow if you can't defragment the hard drive? Or can you?

DOOM
11-15-2001, 08:01 PM
Um, I'll Say It One More Time:
THE GAMES DONT RUN OFF THE HARD DRIVE!
Thanks...;)

Hugh_Jass
11-16-2001, 09:51 AM
According to Kate and Adam the games MAY run off the hard drive, depending on how they're designed. Games with huge levels (like Oddworld) probably do offload quite a bit of data off the hard drive.

One would hope that the XBox allocates large chunks of contiguous space for games that request access to the hard drive. In fact, it may work like a Windows compressed drive where everything is stored in one file and the hard drive doesn't have a chance to get formatted.

At this point we don't know but those are good questions to ask if XBA can get an interview with an XBox engineer.

DOOM
11-16-2001, 10:01 AM
It's called Virtual Memory.....

XBox4Life
11-16-2001, 04:24 PM
Yes Doom, It is called virtual memory, but my point was that after burning music onto the harddrive, saving and deleting files, things will get cluttered up. Which means that If there is no way to defragment, XBox performance could suffer If a game requires precaching.

l Maximus l
11-16-2001, 04:33 PM
One thing I'm not worried about is my XBox from slowing down...the puppy cruises like a bat out of hell :D

No other console has a hard drive and they don't have any problems...the XBox simply adds this to the system..think of it as a great addition, not a potential down fall.

XBox4Life
11-16-2001, 04:35 PM
:)