PDA

View Full Version : Surround Sound

SkoalMint
11-07-2002, 01:42 PM
I'm thinking about breaking down and getting a surround sound system, so I was hoping some of you could help me out here. I was hoping to be able to do this for around $400 or so, but after looking at some prices, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I currently have a Sony Wega that has one component in, so I would like to get a receiver that will accept the component in for both the XBox and a progressive scan DVD player (don't have it yet). I would then run component out from the receiver to the TV. I know I also want to make sure the receiver has at least two optical in's for the sound. I've done some research on the forums here and around the internet and I came across this receiver: http://www.bndonline.com/adnet1/pionaudrecvs.html.

Please tell me what you think about this receiver or recommend another one that might be around the same price with similar features.

Also, any help on speakers would be most appreciated. I would prefer to by them as a set if at all possible.

Actually, I'd really prefer to get the whole thing (receiver/dvd and speakers) in a box set, but I haven't been able to find one with a receiver that has at least two component video in's (or built-in dvd with component video in for the XBox).

Thanks

P.S. - I wasn't sure if this should go in the GD or OT. I found similar threads in both. Mods feel free to move as needed.

carlbme
11-07-2002, 02:50 PM
I've been looking at replacing my now dead and extremely old receiver with a dolby digital and dts equipped one.

I've looked at many different models and I'd say go with that one, the sound it produces is pretty good, plus the component and s-video switching is a great feature. You probably wont find a better receiver for the price that there.

Now if I can just convince the wife to let me buy it too, :D

MerimacHamwich
11-07-2002, 03:32 PM
Well, I got a Panasonic surround system. I think it is the S400 or something like that. Anyhow, it cost me 750$ canadian to get the optical cable and advanced av pack and the system itself so I could play xbox with 5.1 and watch movies with it too. So that is around 450$ american. I say never buy a sony tv or sony product. They seem to cheap out on it and then make it really expensive. Most likely the easiest way for you to watch dvds and play xbox would be to get the dvd kit and bu the super advanced av pac or wahtever, to get you component video. Other than that it is yur tv that is causing the problems. You will most likely have to switch the component cables from xbox to dvd player any time you want to switch between them. Also make sure your receiver has 4 component ports. That is if you want to put you video through the reciever with the xbox and dvd player at the same time. 2 in's and 2 out's. My reciever has in but I am not sure about the out. All in all I think you will be spending about 500$ at least to get everything. That is before tax too. Have you heard of Home Theater in a box? Becuase that is what I got. It is the most convient way to set up a surround system. I don't think it is necessarily cheaper but it is much more convenient. Especially if you are just getting into the home theater world.

carlbme
11-07-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Well, I got a Panasonic surround system. I think it is the S400 or something like that. Anyhow, it cost me 750$ canadian to get the optical cable and advanced av pack and the system itself so I could play xbox with 5.1 and watch movies with it too. So that is around 450$ american. I say never buy a sony tv or sony product. They seem to cheap out on it and then make it really expensive. Most likely the easiest way for you to watch dvds and play xbox would be to get the dvd kit and bu the super advanced av pac or wahtever, to get you component video. Other than that it is yur tv that is causing the problems. You will most likely have to switch the component cables from xbox to dvd player any time you want to switch between them. Also make sure your receiver has 4 component ports. That is if you want to put you video through the reciever with the xbox and dvd player at the same time. 2 in's and 2 out's. My reciever has in but I am not sure about the out. All in all I think you will be spending about 500$ at least to get everything. That is before tax too. Have you heard of Home Theater in a box? Becuase that is what I got. It is the most convient way to set up a surround system. I don't think it is necessarily cheaper but it is much more convenient. Especially if you are just getting into the home theater world.
The one that he had shown has both component and S-video switching. Which means he plugs in his sources (xbox and dvd player) and has one out into the tv, then uses the reciever to switch in between them.

SkoalMint
11-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. If I do go with that receiver, can someone suggest a decent set of speakers (and sub) in the $200 price range.

Merimac - I do have the DVD kit, but as I said in my previous post, I'm thinking about buying a progressive scan DVD player sometime in the future. Also, as I said in my previous post, I would actually prefer to get everything in one box. However, I haven't had much luck finding a box set that has a progressive scan DVD with a component in for the XBox and component out, nor have I been able to find one with a receiver with two component in's and a component out.

carlbme
11-07-2002, 10:22 PM
Hey mint, check out this place for speakers...

http://www.ubid.com/cat/get_cat_page.asp?CatID=1226

You can usually find NICE refurbished speakers for a very decent price.

Rochey69r
11-08-2002, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by SkoalMint
Thanks for the feedback guys. If I do go with that receiver, can someone suggest a decent set of speakers (and sub) in the $200 price range.

Merimac - I do have the DVD kit, but as I said in my previous post, I'm thinking about buying a progressive scan DVD player sometime in the future. Also, as I said in my previous post, I would actually prefer to get everything in one box. However, I haven't had much luck finding a box set that has a progressive scan DVD with a component in for the XBox and component out, nor have I been able to find one with a receiver with two component in's and a component out.

for anything surround sound related ask LynxFX (a member here)

just visit lynxfx.com and sign up to the forums and ask away he will surely help you out mate.

hope ive helped :)

SkoalMint
11-08-2002, 04:52 AM
Thanks again carl, I'll definitely take a detailed look at those speakers. Anything I should look for/stay away from when considering speakers?

Thanks rochey, I was actually hoping Lynx might respond to this thread, but I will check out his sight as well.

:)

jschelm
11-08-2002, 08:08 AM
Skoal,
My recommendation to you if you have a WEGA already and you want a good surround sound system is to save your money for a little while and get good speakers. I doubt that you will be real happy with a $200 set of speakers, especially including the sub. A decent sub alone is in the 200-300 price range.

I did set a buddy up on a budget system and I think he spent about 350 on speakers and it really is at best a soso system.

I looked on ebay for you for the speakers that I have (this auction is for the fronts)

JBL S38 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1396598323)

If you can pick these up you will be able to live for a while without a subwoofer, you just still need your surrounds and center.

SkoalMint
11-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by jschelm
Skoal,
My recommendation to you if you have a WEGA already and you want a good surround sound system is to save your money for a little while and get good speakers. I doubt that you will be real happy with a $200 set of speakers, especially including the sub. A decent sub alone is in the 200-300 price range.

I did set a buddy up on a budget system and I think he spent about 350 on speakers and it really is at best a soso system.

I looked on ebay for you for the speakers that I have (this auction is for the fronts)

JBL S38 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1396598323)

If you can pick these up you will be able to live for a while without a subwoofer, you just still need your surrounds and center.

Thanks for the tip. I actually saw those speakers on the HK site earlier this morning going for around $350 or so. If that auction doesn't go up too high I may put a bid in. I'm really not looking for anything too fancy though. A "soso" system would suffice. Any advice on what I should be looking for in speakers? I'm a real newb when it comes to this stuff. Also, any comments on the receiver I linked to above? Thanks again.

jschelm
11-08-2002, 11:20 AM
Looking at that receiver it should do what you want. I am not going to classify it as an awesome receiver, but it is better than your average setup. Just make sure it has enough inputs for everything that you want to hook up (and don't count phono as an input unless you have a record player)

As far as speakers, ubid does have some pretty good prices.

KLH subwoofers are cheap and give the soso sound that I was talking about. They don't get very loud without popping. I would spend the extra $75 on an Acoustic Research sub. Depending on the size of your room the 10" or 12" will work.

Front speakers I love the S38's that I linked for you, but the soso system that I set up did some Lanzar fronts (from ubid) that are very crisp and loud, but have ZERO bass. I also think the wharfedale that UBid sells are pretty good, but I have never heard any.

Center and Surround are kinda up in the air. A good center channel wil be your most expensive speaker, but I have heard a pioneer 3 speaker set that was center and surround for about $75 that would probably do the job for you.

Hope this helps

SkoalMint
11-08-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by jschelm
Hope this helps

That helps alot. Now I have some good places to start my search. Thanks a lot. :)

SkoalMint
11-09-2002, 06:22 PM
For anyone that is interested, I think I found the solution I was looking for. I picked up a Samsung HT-DL200P for $379. It has progressive scan DVD, component video in (for Xbox) and component video out (to TV), and one digital audio in (optical). 50W/channel - 100W/Sub.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

BCan
11-10-2002, 05:43 AM
Sweet, the XBOX sounds awesome on the right equipment too.

Personally I have an Onkyo TX-SR600, which supports amongst other things DTS ES and Dolby Digital EX, as well as component video....

I have some nice sounding front floorstanding speakers. My NEW Jamo centre speaker fits in nicely, and my old centre speaker is my rear centre channel. It is almost what I would consider the perfect setup EXCEPT for the TV.

That needs replacing, need to win the lottery to replace it with a Plasma screen, then I'd be more than happy to use my progressive scan DVD player. For those not in the know, it would no longer do interlaced pictures, half of the screen is drawn at a time. Progressive scan in simple terms, makes a TV screen work more like a PC monitor, it basically allows for page flipping - or in other words it displays a whole new screen for every update, and not half.