PDA

View Full Version : Xbox’s HDD: How do you Defragment it?

Cannibal Corpse
11-08-2002, 08:00 PM
As you can imagine, the files on the Xbox’s Hard Disc get fragmented over time, due to the constant writing and deletion of games save file and ripped WMA audio.

Do you think if Microsoft would ever release a utility that could defragment Xbox’s HDD for improved performance? (or maybe third party companies)

That would be very interesting.

carlbme
11-08-2002, 08:17 PM
The way they partitioned it you shouldn't have to worry too much about fragmentation.

SPARTAN VI
11-08-2002, 08:39 PM
:eek: AAAAH!!:eek: I forgot all about HDD defragmentations! They are a freagin pain of PCs! They better think of something if defragmentations are needed.... :confused:

AAAAHHH!!!!!!! I HOPE NOT:eek:

Highlite23
11-09-2002, 09:39 AM
You can get a "Refresh" disc that was made specifially for the XBOX, it will clear and defrag the HD.

Only costs $10.00

carlbme
11-09-2002, 10:35 AM
I knew I had seen this thread before.
It was posted at the [H]...:)

Casper
11-09-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by highlite23
You can get a "Refresh" disc that was made specifially for the XBOX, it will clear and defrag the HD.

Only costs $10.00

And where can u get this?

Premium Xbox
11-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by casper

And where can u get this?

I am with casper on this. Where can you get this at? I've never seen it.

EHWfedPres
11-09-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by highlite23

Only costs $10.00

Could there possibly be one that does not clear the harddrive? I'd have to buy 3,000 memory cards to put all my saves on. Those damn memory cards dont hold crap.

LynxFX
11-09-2002, 05:55 PM
I honestly believe that there should be no reason anyone would need to or more importantly have to defrag their xbox harddrive.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

ventullo1
11-09-2002, 06:09 PM
If this problem was to arise , Microsoft would have already created a way to defrag the hard drives. No one should worry about it.

ARONO129
11-09-2002, 06:49 PM
I also remember reading that the HD was designed to never need defragmenting. If I find the link I will post it here.

rio2012
11-09-2002, 07:57 PM
The Xbox HD is in NTFS format and is partioned many times which makes for minimal fragmentation.

Frostberg
11-09-2002, 10:52 PM
A Game's cache is deleted over time of playing it when it loads more data on the HD, so in effect you arent getting holes or gaps in space like you would on a PC. One whole partition is just for cache, and it gets deleted when you play something else, so even buying the refresh disc is just a waste...unless you like the peace of mind, and if you enjoy deleting EVERYTHING off of your HD. Personally I think its not worth the time to fiddle with it, especially if it means buying memory cards to hold onto my game saves, re-ripping on my music and resetting up for xbox live...just a pain...

FuNkY mOnK
11-10-2002, 10:38 AM
found this on a site see if it helps.

why PS2 needs a 40GB HDD. the FFX games uses 1.8 GB of the Space and the Utility provides you with a Defrag program that can take up to a whole day to Defrag the HDD on the PS2.

As For MS they beat this utility by making the HDD auto defrag. The HDD has a built in set of instructions that automaticall organize all files so that Defragging is not necessary. Here is the techies post I borrowed:

"It is form of NTFS, and it auto-defragging.

IYNTK: defragging (defragmentation) is the process of re-organizing all the tiny magnets on the harddrive platter(s) to ensure the fastest file access. How it gets disorganized in the first place is through normal harddrive usage, through deletion of files, and writing over the "holes" and scattering data all over.

Depending on how heavy the fragging is... defragging can improve system performance.

On the Xbox, there's no worry, because it takes care of the issue dynamically. On the PS2, however, users will have to manually defrag their drives from time to time to optomize the performance.

Defragging can take hours, depending on the size of the drive. Since the PS2 drive is 40gigs (or 20?), it'll take a long while, perhaps a day?

FYI, defragging doesn't delete files, it just simply re-shifts magnets and makes it so all the data bits for the files are in nice rows so the harddrive scanning head doesn't have to spin around all over the place just to collect on file... it just travels in a short straight path. Much much more efficient!"

cdg5551
12-08-2006, 05:43 AM
this is an instersting topic, but i dont see how this would help game performance. It will only help your memory.

SamSmith
12-08-2006, 07:01 AM
Quite a bump there, you've outdone yourself!

Reclaimer
12-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Quite a bump there, you've outdone yourself!

I don't know what it is about this guy and wanting to bump the oldest threads.

ll Mista GT ll
12-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Maybe he has problems. I think thats it. The first time i bumped a thread, I was like "WTF? Bump? Whats that!?" But I asked what bump was, and i never did it again. Some people just dont get it.

SamSmith
12-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah, and look where you are now!

thatdude222
12-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Bump!
+1 !