PDA

View Full Version : ‘Limited Edition’ Xbox Bundle vs. Original Xbox

Cannibal Corpse
11-08-2002, 09:35 PM
I need to know if these are the so called ‘revised’ versions, or are simply the original ones packaged in a new cardboard box to be sold for the upcoming holiday season. (With the new Controller ‘S’ and two free games of course)

Why I ask this?

Since my original Xbox (the one that I bought on cold November morning!) can not read 85% of the games.

I think it would be cheaper if l buy a new system rather than sending my defective one back for the repair.

The only concern that I have is that the so called ‘revised’ versions use a less stable HARD DISK drives and overall lesser quality components. Is this true?

I really don’t care about the games nor the ‘S’ Controller, since I have already bought two of them. (and have both games as well)

Your insights and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
11-08-2002, 10:55 PM
Well, the word on some of the hacker sites...it's a mixed bag.....Some of the latest bundles are packed with some of the older versions of the xbox......You know..the one before the redesign.....and some have the latest version.(it all depends on the date when your xbox was made)....I have heard that the new hard drive is very good,( i don't know if it's more stable than the western digtal one)...and a lot more quiet than the older model....the dvd drive is alot better than the old thompson dvd drive....With the upcoming pricecut before thanksgiving..it would be cheaper just to buy a new one...My two cents:)

ARONO129
11-08-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Cannibal Corpse
I need to know if these are the so called ‘revised’ versions, or are simply the original ones packaged in a new cardboard box to be sold for the upcoming holiday season. (With the new Controller ‘S’ and two free games of course)

Why I ask this?

Since my original Xbox (the one that I bought on cold November morning!) can not read 85% of the games.

I think it would be cheaper if l buy a new system rather than sending my defective one back for the repair.

The only concern that I have is that the so called ‘revised’ versions use a less stable HARD DISK drives and overall lesser quality components. Is this true?

I really don’t care about the games nor the ‘S’ Controller, since I have already bought two of them. (and have both games as well)

Your insights and comments would be greatly appreciated.

I would buy the bundle and an extended warranty. This way you are protected. I'm not so sure that there are any real changes to the Xbox. Or at least changes that would afffect quality or performance.

l Maximus l
11-08-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Cannibal Corpse

How can this be? I bought my XBox on Launch day and I have yet to have a game not work. Are you sure about that?? :confused:

tWoTOMA
11-09-2002, 12:35 AM
get the bundle. i'm not sure how stable the hd is, but i have a buddy that has it and it's nice how quiet the dvd drive runs. since you have the two games, you can trade in or sell the games that you own and a controller s and use that $$ to buy Splinter Cell, Unreal Championship, MechAssualt, or any of our new kick ass games.

tWoTOMA
11-09-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

How can this be? I bought my XBox on Launch day and I have yet to have a game not work. Are you sure about that?? :confused:

i also got mine at launch, and for some reason, my box stopped reading games at about 7 months. this problem is not new, many launch boxes had this problem of recognizing discs. the ms rep admitted it to me and said he felt sorry for me and that he'd get it fixed free. i sent it in to ms even though i didnt have a warranty. 5 days later, i had a perfect xbox, and soon ill have a perfect game collection too!

btw, 6 other guys from my school had the same problem as me. it might have been a bad shipment in my area or something?!

l Maximus l
11-09-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by tWoTOMA

i also got mine at launch, and for some reason, my box stopped reading games at about 7 months. this problem is not new, many launch boxes had this problem of recognizing discs. the ms rep admitted it to me and said he felt sorry for me and that he'd get it fixed free. i sent it in to ms even though i didnt have a warranty. 5 days later, i had a perfect xbox, and soon ill have a perfect game collection too!

btw, 6 other guys from my school had the same problem as me. it might have been a bad shipment in my area or something?!

You know, that's really interesting...I had a buddy that bought his XBox the same day I did. He was one of my hardcore buddies that camped out for 14 hours to get his box. Well, yesterday, it stopped working!! And, he threw away his cardboard box that the XBox came in. So, I let him borrow mine and he took it back to the store where we bought it from and claimed he bought it 2 1/2 weeks ago but lost his receipt. They issued him a new one (not the bundle XBox, they wouldn't allow it) and now he has a brand spankin' new one!

I'm kinda feeling paranoid because I have the XBox that I got on Launch day, but, I have yet to have a single error with it. Maybe I lucked out and got a really stable one...who knows?!

SPARTAN VI
11-09-2002, 12:50 AM
:confused: :eek: YOUR SCARING MAXIMUS:eek: :confused:
I got mine at launch too, so far the only thing that popped up was the occasional "Disc may be dirty or damaged" message but it only happened on Morrowind, and when you take a close speculation, you'll notice a intricate pattern of scratches. My warranty goes out on Nov 15th too, if it dies, DIE NOW!:eek: :D

Highlite23
11-09-2002, 09:36 AM
Max, I feel that way myself sometimes.

I have had, no lie, 0 problems since launch.

As far as the bundle is concerned, I've heard rumors for and against, but for the most part they are positive remarks not negative.

I would go with the bundle, we (Game Stop) take the games in on trade so you can turn them in for something else. You may want to look into the rebate also, the regular XBOX has a mail in $50.00 rebate so your only out $149, but it is a mail in, so you need to wait for the check.

Good Luck.;)

bloex
11-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Got a bundle from etoys.com Tuesday Nov. 5 and it had the "S" controller and the GT2002 JSRF cd. The games are on the same disc but include seperate guides. They seem to be some where between Demo and full blown game versions. 5 lap limit on some of the races and not all track configs. are playable. Haven't got into the Jet Set Radio Future too far. No time. If the "S" controller is new to you it will be a plesant surprise. Smaller grips and better button location seem to ease the pain of long sessions. $199.99 and 13.80 shipping to the mid-west. These folks are fast on the shipping. Ordered it the Friday before. Hope this helps. I've noticed on the Bay that most consoles show the older, larger controller. Forgot to mention, a baseball cap and t-shirt with xbox logos were also included in the bundle. Nice package for setting under the ole tree. Good Luck!

ventullo1
11-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Occasionally i get the error which states that the disc is "dirty or damaged." Is this a sign of one of the older unstable Xboxs?

ARONO129
11-09-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by bloex
Got a bundle from etoys.com Tuesday Nov. 5 and it had the "S" controller and the GT2002 JSRF cd. The games are on the same disc but include seperate guides. They seem to be some where between Demo and full blown game versions. 5 lap limit on some of the races and not all track configs. are playable. Haven't got into the Jet Set Radio Future too far. No time. If the "S" controller is new to you it will be a plesant surprise. Smaller grips and better button location seem to ease the pain of long sessions. $199.99 and 13.80 shipping to the mid-west. These folks are fast on the shipping. Ordered it the Friday before. Hope this helps. I've noticed on the Bay that most consoles show the older, larger controller. Forgot to mention, a baseball cap and t-shirt with xbox logos were also included in the bundle. Nice package for setting under the ole tree. Good Luck!

I agree with what you say about the S Controller. I thought I would miss the original but I really like the S version. That's awesome that you got a Xbox hat and T shirt. Wow I would do anything to have those.

rio2012
11-09-2002, 07:46 PM
GO the distance with ur buck get the limited edition.

rio2012
11-09-2002, 07:47 PM
o and one other thing i bought my Xbox in august and it gives me dirty disc errors sometimes.

bloex
11-10-2002, 07:23 AM
Still racing and skating! No problems with new system. The "S" controller is very nice and would say to the hardcore players to get one and give it a try. It reminds me of a PS2 controller. No errors with dirty disc or any other problems. As to my comment on the games (GT 2002, JSFR) not being full versions might be premature. Getting more play time with them and actually looked at a guide. Not used to playing these type of games, just aiming and throwing LEAD! Good Luck!
P.S. My son was reading over my shoulder and mumbled something about cleaning the discs and DVD-rom. He believes that since the xbox has a hard drive inside, it might draw more dust and dirt into it while keeping the components cool. Might be worth getting a cleaning kit and giving it a whirl.
Later.......:)