PDA

View Full Version : i want SQUARE support

ginger pig
11-09-2002, 11:31 AM
the only thing i want for my XBOX is final fantasy!

The only reason PS2 is totaly whomping XBOX is because SQUARE does not support XBOX!

SQUARE is god of games!

Dre
11-09-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by ginger pig
the only thing i want for my XBOX is final fantasy!

The only reason PS2 is totaly whomping XBOX is because SQUARE does not support XBOX!

SQUARE is god of games!

Yo, I felt the same way when I first got my Xbox. Said to myself "dayum, the only thing I'm missing is some FF games".

But, you might as well come to terms that it ain't gonna happen.

EHWfedPres
11-09-2002, 09:35 PM
One thing that I dont want to come to Xbox is a ton of linear japaneese action games featuring spike-haired cartoon midgets...

Dre
11-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
One thing that I dont want to come to Xbox is a ton of linear japaneese action games featuring spike-haired cartoon midgets...

Ya, but many others do.

EHWfedPres
11-09-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Ya, but many others do.

Yes, but many others do not. Squaresoft is a crappy game company as far as im concerned.

Dulacc
11-10-2002, 09:49 AM
I'm sorry you can't appreciate the Final Fantasy series, but it has been one of the most creative series' in game history.

While most of Xbox's current list of games don't take advantage of the Xbox's hardware, Squaresoft has shown a history of pushing whatever system they use to its limits. HOw many times are we let down by a game because it doesn't use the Xbox's hardware advantage over the PS2?

That's the real let down by Sony not letting them produce games for the Xbox. You know that's why there are no Squaresoft games on Xbox, right? Sony owns like 20% of the company.

EHWfedPres
11-10-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Dulacc
I'm sorry you can't appreciate the Final Fantasy series, but it has been one of the most creative series' in game history.

Creative? Perhaps. Entertaining? Not to me at all.

Hop off the popularity bandwagon ok?

Dre
11-10-2002, 02:57 PM

Creative? Perhaps. Entertaining? Not to me at all.

Hop off the popularity bandwagon ok?

Its the stories that Square writes for the series that are so captivating. Its not a popularity bandwagon, quit being so obtuse.

EHWfedPres
11-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Its the stories that Square writes for the series that are so captivating. Its not a popularity bandwagon, quit being so obtuse.

Well yes, the stories (some) are quite well-written...the FF movie is one of my favorite movies, mainly cause of the gomputer generation, but thats another story. I tried playing FF games but got bored way too quickly...and turn-based fighting is the worst thing that was ever put into any video games ever. Save the turns for Monopoly. I dont think an enemy would just let you attack him and hope you stand still...that gets very boring very quickly. The games are overhyped as well IMO, and the linear style of play offers little replay value.

Dre
11-10-2002, 03:17 PM

Well yes, the stories (some) are quite well-written...the FF movie is one of my favorite movies, mainly cause of the gomputer generation, but thats another story. I tried playing FF games but got bored way too quickly...and turn-based fighting is the worst thing that was ever put into any video games ever. Save the turns for Monopoly. I dont think an enemy would just let you attack him and hope you stand still...that gets very boring very quickly. The games are overhyped as well IMO, and the linear style of play offers little replay value.

I agree with you that turn-based fighting is pretty lame nowadays. But think about the first FF games. Do you think they would have been as much fun if it wouldn't have been turn-based? What I mean is I don't think the Nintendo or SNES could handle a real-time fighting engine on top of everything else, and if it could, I wonder how much fun it would actually have been.

Square's just sticking to its roots, to what has worked for them since the beginning. When you have a winning formula, there's no reason to change it. That said, a FF game with a real-time fighting engine (or something like that of the upcoming Sudeki) would be SWEET.

EHWfedPres
11-10-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Dre

I agree with you that turn-based fighting is pretty lame nowadays. But think about the first FF games. Do you think they would have been as much fun if it wouldn't have been turn-based? What I mean is I don't think the Nintendo or SNES could handle a real-time fighting engine on top of everything else, and if it could, I wonder how much fun it would actually have been.

Square's just sticking to its roots, to what has worked for them since the beginning. When you have a winning formula, there's no reason to change it. That said, a FF game with a real-time fighting engine (or something like that of the upcoming Sudeki) would be SWEET.

The main reason (besides the horrible fighting) i dont like ff games is because I want some variety and freedom in my games. Without those two elements, an rpg is simply not an rpg but more like and action game. I dont want to play as the same dude over and over and over and over again and again and again and again, that gets boring after the first time. Linear gameplay is the same story...not worth playing thru again after you beat it the first time.

Hugh_Jass
11-10-2002, 09:13 PM

and turn-based fighting is the worst thing that was ever put into any video games ever.

I disagree. Turn-based fighting allows for strategic gaming instead of twitch-based. We need MORE turn-based games.

Shadow20002
11-10-2002, 10:30 PM
I hear some rumor about Squaresoft. They are making a title that will only appear on Xbox. It's a RPG (sure) and sequel to something. Anyone remember Seiken Densetsu 1, 2, 3 and Legends of Mana ? It's could be a sequel to these one with improve character (look more mature one). I know, it's just a rumor...but hopefully a rumor will be true... ;)

Dre
11-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Shadow20002
I hear some rumor about Squaresoft. They are making a title that will only appear on Xbox. It's a RPG (sure) and sequel to something. Anyone remember Seiken Densetsu 1, 2, 3 and Legends of Mana ? It's could be a sequel to these one with improve character (look more mature one). I know, it's just a rumor...but hopefully a rumor will be true... ;)

Maybe a Chrono game!?? That would be kickass!

GreenFireX
11-11-2002, 12:57 AM
The best rpg of all time imo is legand of legaia. a sequel is coming out for ps2. it would be awesome if it came out foor xbox. that game was so fun.

EHWfedPres
11-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

I disagree. Turn-based fighting allows for strategic gaming instead of twitch-based. We need MORE turn-based games.

well monopoly party is coming...happy?

symposiumx
11-13-2002, 03:34 PM
I enjoy turn-based as well as non-turn-based games. I feel that currently, XBOX needs more of BOTH (but especially turn-based).

There is no denying that Squaresoft sells a buttload of games, and even if you don't like squaresoft, you would have to admit that the sales it would generate (if it ever came to the xbox) would be a welcome addition. Hell, anything that makes the Xbox a better gaming system as a whole is good for me as a gamer.

that said, I REALLY enjoyed the game Front Mission III for the original Playstation, by Squaresoft.

It was a turn-based, squad, mech game set in japan where you could play through as "both sides" (each side lasted like 40 hours of gameplay or some nice length like that). Good story, good amount of weapons (upgrade your "mech' basically anyway you wanted: body, head, legs, arms, weapons, missles, backpack, ect). It was similar to like a Mech FF game.

If you have a playstation or a ps2, I would check this game out.

ok...sorry for going way off topic

Shadow20002
11-14-2002, 02:18 PM
How about Heroes of Might & Magic Series ? This one is truly turn-based strategy game.... I don't know if this one gonna come for Xbox..:rolleyes:

symposiumx
11-14-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Shadow20002
How about Heroes of Might & Magic Series ? This one is truly turn-based strategy game.... I don't know if this one gonna come for Xbox..:rolleyes:

ok...I might be WAAAAAY off topic here...

There was a game that I played years and years ago, on the old Sega System. I thoguht it was called something like Might and Magic, or something similar to it. It was an RPG, with a party of like 6 characters. The game was freaking LONG and indepth for an old sega game.

If anyone has a clue what it was called, PLEASE tell me.

EHWfedPres
11-20-2002, 11:27 AM
the might and magic series sucks so bad.

best RPG ever: either Pagan: Ultima VIII or Morrowind.

Knight
11-20-2002, 11:37 AM
the might and magic series sucks so bad.

best RPG ever: either Pagan: Ultima VIII or Morrowind.

Ultima 8 sucked Ultima7 part 1 & 2 was better!

EHWfedPres
11-20-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Knight

Ultima 8 sucked Ultima7 part 1 & 2 was better!

no, Ultima 7 and the worst camera angle known to man sucked...both parts...Pagan was and still is awesome.

Splinter Cell
11-26-2002, 09:27 PM
All I know is that Xbox needs some rpg's with the elements of Kingdom Hearts (with exception to the Disney characters).

EHWfedPres
11-27-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Splinter Cell
All I know is that Xbox needs some rpg's with the elements of Kingdom Hearts (with exception to the Disney characters).

If you mean linear gameplay featuring a terrible story and japaneese cartoon midgets...you're totally wrong.

More rpg's like morrowind, no linear action games.

symposiumx
11-27-2002, 12:35 PM

If you mean linear gameplay featuring a terrible story and japaneese cartoon midgets...you're totally wrong.

More rpg's like morrowind, no linear action games.

personally, I really enjoyed Morrowind. That said, I would like to see more open-ended AND more linear RPG's. I think diversity is important.

EHWfedPres
11-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by symposiumx

personally, I really enjoyed Morrowind. That said, I would like to see more open-ended AND more linear RPG's. I think diversity is important.

If you want more linear games and think diversity is important...something is terribly wrong. In linear games, you do the same thing each time you play, which gets boring, and lacks diversity all together. Open-ended rpg's (the only REAL rpg's) allow you to use your imagination, and basically do whatever you want. Missions and quests get boring, but if your own imagination...or lack there of...bores you, then you have a serious problem.

symposiumx
11-27-2002, 12:57 PM

If you want more linear games and think diversity is important...something is terribly wrong. In linear games, you do the same thing each time you play, which gets boring, and lacks diversity all together. Open-ended rpg's (the only REAL rpg's) allow you to use your imagination, and basically do whatever you want. Missions and quests get boring, but if your own imagination...or lack there of...bores you, then you have a serious problem.

well, I HALF agree with you.

open-ended RPG's can be very amazing. There is nothing quite like being able to have the freedom to "become" your character (for lack of better words).

Still, there is something that can be achieved (fun-wise) in a linear RPG also. Yes, it does cut down significantly on the replay value of the game, but sometimes it can set up a climactic event(s) that open-ended RPG's sometimes lack.

I compare it to the analogy of a "normal" book, and a "choose-your-own-adventure" book. which is better? well, it depends on what you are wanting to experience at that moment.

EHWfedPres
11-27-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by symposiumx

well, I HALF agree with you.

open-ended RPG's can be very amazing. There is nothing quite like being able to have the freedom to "become" your character (for lack of better words).

Still, there is something that can be achieved (fun-wise) in a linear RPG also. Yes, it does cut down significantly on the replay value of the game, but sometimes it can set up a climactic event(s) that open-ended RPG's sometimes lack.

I compare it to the analogy of a "normal" book, and a "choose-your-own-adventure" book. which is better? well, it depends on what you are wanting to experience at that moment.

If you want cinematic events...watch a movie.

A normal book is like a linear rpg, where as a choose your own way book is more like a linear rpg, where you have several paths to take instead of one...were as your freedom is still extremely limited, and the result is still the same.

An open-ended rpg is more like..."Here's a thousand sheets of paper, write your own book."

symposiumx
11-27-2002, 01:30 PM

If you want cinematic events...watch a movie.

A normal book is like a linear rpg, where as a choose your own way book is more like a linear rpg, where you have several paths to take instead of one...were as your freedom is still extremely limited, and the result is still the same.

An open-ended rpg is more like..."Here's a thousand sheets of paper, write your own book."

It was a loose analogy.

I guess you are the type of person that just enjoys open-ended RPG's, and I am the type that enjoys open-ended, linear and all points in-between.

EHWfedPres
11-27-2002, 02:30 PM
Im the type of person that likes freedom in games, and replay value. You wont find that in linear action games (i dont consider linear games rpg's because rpg's need freedom)

Cloud Strife
11-28-2002, 05:06 PM
If it would have been before squaresoft was EA/square, I would have said yes. But now, forget it. I was a huge fan of Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger for a while. But the newer Final Fantasy's like VII and X, I hated. I also hated Chrono Cross. I was so hyped up to buy those game but I turned out to be dissapointed. I have spent $400 on EA/Square games only for me to trade the games later because they were overhyped. I didn't even like Kingdom Hearts and the commercial made me eant to buy it.