PDA

View Full Version : Mech assault is getting crazy reviews.



wweomaniac
11-09-2002, 04:35 PM
GameSpot 90.0%
Gamespy 89.0%
IGN 92.0%
Avault 90.0%

Wow.... all of those reviews are really high.

[b]I wasn't intending on playing the game at all b/c it looked like TOTAL spamming, but maybe there's more to it?

Do these reviews change anyone else's perception of the game?

Dre
11-09-2002, 06:00 PM
Wasn't going to get this game b4 because I never really got into the whole mech scene. But, when a game gets such great scores across the board, I don't think you can go bad in picking it up. I haven't really seen reviews like this for an Xbox game in a while, plus this game is on XBL. Wow... yes, I'll be pickin it up!

faceoff508
11-09-2002, 06:26 PM
This should be a great game. I have been anticapating it for less than a year now. I cant wait till I play this baby.

l Maximus l
11-09-2002, 07:08 PM
I'll admit it...Mechassault doesn't excite me at all. After seeing some streaming video of it, it just turned me off.

Now, I know...I shouldn't base my opinion on streaming video...and, well, I don't. But, the streaming video of Mechassault actually did turn me off from the game. I'll rent it before I consider buying it. I'm more excited for Unreal Championship than anything else.

I got to thinking today, though...that, it would be sweet to have atleast two on-line games to mess around with at launch. I am, for sure, getting Unreal Championship but I won't purchase another XBox Live game without renting them first and checking them out. That goes for Ghost Recon and Mechassault.

wweomaniac
11-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Now, I know...I shouldn't base my opinion on streaming video...and, well, I don't. But, the streaming video of Mechassault actually did turn me off from the game. That's what I thought, but 4 extraordinarily high reviews changedm y mind. But I guess I should rent it first.

Still looks like a lot of unskillful shooting from all angles in that game.

Frostberg
11-09-2002, 11:15 PM
Dont think of it as Mechs....think of them as Master Chiefs...


Just because it is a Mech doesn't mean you go around at 2 miles per hour shooting other Mecs in order to get where you want to...

Shorezy
11-09-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
I'll admit it...Mechassault doesn't excite me at all. After seeing some streaming video of it, it just turned me off.

Now, I know...I shouldn't base my opinion on streaming video...and, well, I don't. But, the streaming video of Mechassault actually did turn me off from the game. I'll rent it before I consider buying it. I'm more excited for Unreal Championship than anything else.

I got to thinking today, though...that, it would be sweet to have atleast two on-line games to mess around with at launch. I am, for sure, getting Unreal Championship but I won't purchase another XBox Live game without renting them first and checking them out. That goes for Ghost Recon and Mechassault.

I'm in the EXACT same situation as you Max. But i think i'm definitely goin Ghost Recon. I just CAN'T WAIT to say cover me and to take out the baddies with like 15 other peeps. Man it just pumps me up. Mech doesn't really do that. I guess we'll just have to see.

Dre
11-10-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by halo_11


I'm in the EXACT same situation as you Max. But i think i'm definitely goin Ghost Recon. I just CAN'T WAIT to say cover me and to take out the baddies with like 15 other peeps. Man it just pumps me up. Mech doesn't really do that. I guess we'll just have to see.

I know what you mean! I want to use that headset for strategy! Not just for saying "whassup" and thats all there is right now on the beta. I personally don't really care for talking in a game (unless I know the people in the game obviously) unless its for a purpose. In something like Unreal I can see the headset coming in as an invaluable tool when playing CTF and it "pumps me up" too ;)

What I want to know is the different gamemodes of Mechassault. I hope that there will be some sort of teamplay so that I can team up with a friend to take on some other peeps.

l Maximus l
11-10-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
That's what I thought, but 4 extraordinarily high reviews changedm y mind. But I guess I should rent it first.

Still looks like a lot of unskillful shooting from all angles in that game.

Good points, wweomaniac, frosty, Halo_11, and Dre...

And, I think wweomaniac said it best that Mechassault *seems* like a lot of unskillful shooting from all angles of the game. That's exactly my impression...I guess I'm looking for something a little more strategic and I hope I'll get that from UC. But, I'll keep an open mind and rent Mechassault. I truly hope we're all wrong and Mechassault is a bad ass strategic and tactical kill fest! I really do! :D

thatroger
11-10-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Dre

What I want to know is the different gamemodes of Mechassault. I hope that there will be some sort of teamplay so that I can team up with a friend to take on some other peeps.

"In order to add more replay value to the game the designers added some excellent multiplayer modes. Among there grinder, are a mode where you and your human opponents fight against an endless onslaught of AI mechs in a battle to see who can survive for the longest amount of time, destruction and team destruction, the gameís take on death match and team death match, last man standing, a mode where you are given only one life, and not it, a variation on the king of the hill mode. There is some excellent variety to be had here and although the game only supports two players per Xbox, youíll be able to play against your friends via system link as well as Xbox Live. Currently, the two-player multiplayer is extremely addictive, at the time there aren't too many people to play against on the Xbox Live Network. I canít imagine how amazing it will be when the Xbox Live gets up and running."

Gaming Nexus (http://www.gamingnexus.com/Review.asp?ID=61)


Yeah I'm also definately going to be picking this game up. I guess I'll see you all online.

Dre
11-10-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by thatroger


"In order to add more replay value to the game the designers added some excellent multiplayer modes. Among there grinder, are a mode where you and your human opponents fight against an endless onslaught of AI mechs in a battle to see who can survive for the longest amount of time, destruction and team destruction, the gameís take on death match and team death match, last man standing, a mode where you are given only one life, and not it, a variation on the king of the hill mode. There is some excellent variety to be had here and although the game only supports two players per Xbox, youíll be able to play against your friends via system link as well as Xbox Live. Currently, the two-player multiplayer is extremely addictive, at the time there aren't too many people to play against on the Xbox Live Network. I canít imagine how amazing it will be when the Xbox Live gets up and running."

Gaming Nexus (http://www.gamingnexus.com/Review.asp?ID=61)


Yeah I'm also definately going to be picking this game up. I guess I'll see you all online.

thnx 4 the 411 bro. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear!

Max, I heard that this game actually involves quite a bit of strategy. Check out this link:

http://www.xbox.com/teamxbox/teamxbox-02.htm

l Maximus l
11-10-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Dre


thnx 4 the 411 bro. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear!

Max, I heard that this game actually involves quite a bit of strategy. Check out this link:

http://www.xbox.com/teamxbox/teamxbox-02.htm

Now, that was an interesting read...both clips. I'll have to give Mechassault a very serious look here...thanks for the info!

Frink
11-10-2002, 03:36 PM
Well this is straight from Ebgames.com:

"Pilot the most powerful weapons available in the 31st century, a 40-foot tall walking tank known as a BattleMech. MechAssault is a 3rd-person action/shooter, where environments are not only fully destructible, they're your weapons. Choose from a dozen 'Mechs ranging from quick 30- tonners to huge 100-ton beasts. Configure your 'Mech and optimize it to crush your opponents. Challenge yourself with 20 single-player missions and get prepared for the ultimate multiplayer online experience. Download free Mechs, maps and more with Xbox Live!"

I always thought that the downloadable content for Mechassault cost cash, but it seems as though it is now free. I love how XBL will have downloadable content, that will allow games like Mechassault to be constantly updated with new levels, mechs, and modes, allowing it to have the possibility of endless appeal.

Crazy Joe
11-10-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg-XBA
Just because it is a Mech doesn't mean you go around at 2 miles per hour shooting other Mecs in order to get where you want to...

hear that maneatingcow? Look out for Frosty!!!

Discretion
11-10-2002, 09:57 PM
I personally had no intention for this game... Well until I saw some more pics and read the Boot Camp review here @ XBA. Now I want it. Problem is I only have so much $$$... Oh well, Im getting UC and Ghost Recon the 13th to hold me off. Money on XMAS so I CAN GET IT! Anyways, I can't wait!

Frostberg
11-10-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Discretion
I personally had no intention for this game... Well until I saw some more pics and read the Boot Camp review here @ XBA. Now I want it. Problem is I only have so much $$$... Oh well, Im getting UC and Ghost Recon the 13th to hold me off. Money on XMAS so I CAN GET IT! Anyways, I can't wait!

Exactly...there are just too many great games coming out in the next few weeks...

Never enough time or money...



lol Gortholomew...For the kiddies they can just tip and not kill...but then MEC would use his mad ReVolt power to race away...

stilly
11-11-2002, 06:37 AM
do ya know unreal has no system link, poxy huh.

JimmieDoogan
11-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Glad I preordered this game... hope I get it AT LEAST by wednesday... sucks ass that they pushed back NHL 2k3. I was hopen to play that come wednesday too, but oh well. I spose mechassault can keep me busy for now...

Jarvis
11-11-2002, 07:04 PM
Just got a 9.4 from TeamXbox.

-jarvis

XBX_Junior_XBX
11-11-2002, 07:07 PM
I've been wanting to get this game since they announced that it was going to be on XBOX LIVE. Can't wait for my copy to arrive!! : P

l Maximus l
11-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by stilly
do ya know unreal has no system link, poxy huh.

Unreal Championship will be System Link. The beta versions are being played on XBConnect at this very moment.

stilly
11-12-2002, 07:13 AM
being able to play on xbox live and being system linkable are not the same, oxm uk reviewed it, and said, no system link. anyway we'll see, gonna grovel if your wrong, i will.

SkoalMint
11-12-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by stilly
being able to play on xbox live and being system linkable are not the same, oxm uk reviewed it, and said, no system link. anyway we'll see, gonna grovel if your wrong, i will.

I'm pretty sure that Max knows that XBox Live and sys link are different. That is why he said XBoxConnect, not XBox Live.

A game has to support sys link to be played on XBoxConnect.

Anyway, read this review at IGN.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/376/376553p1.html

Pay particular attention to the 4th bullet under the features section.

Let the groveling begin. :p

JJaX
11-12-2002, 12:57 PM
iVE been a huge mechwarrior fan for quite sometime now. Every game based in the FASA universe is always very immersive. And the mechwarrior games keep getting better and better.

Mech assault seems to have the action of a shoot em up, but still maintains that "strategy" element.

Mechs have to take a hell of a beating before they go down, so battles are going to be long and intense. And lets not forget the element of team play. Have your assault mechs up front, And have a few light mechs jump jetting around dumping those LRM20s at you ;)

I sure hope theres a TON limit per match. I would hate for people to abuse the assault mechs such as atlas against say a mad cat.

And that computer onslaught mode sounds awesome! Downloadable mechs? I sure hope they break out Kodiak and dire wolf!

Man, ive been out of the mech loop for quite sometime (since mechwarrior 4)

And i think this mechwarrior is about to get back in the c0ckpit and unleash hell on you freebirths. ;)

AWwwww s4it! Im pumped now!!! Sweet Jesus! You can be elementals!!!!!!!!!!! Yeeeeehaaaaaaw!!!!

*Edit*

I just read IGNs Review, and they do point out some flaws.

-Having to create a new game after each match (most XBL games put everyone in the same lobby after a match, so you can go at it again witht the same people)

-Optimatch only filters amount of players

-you cant set a ton limit

It still sounds like an amazing game and i cant wait! But its either this or Ghost tomorrow.

But i have a feeling id rather be playing some co-op with my boys Delta force style :cool:

Brevity
11-12-2002, 01:15 PM
I got it on the way, I just checked, oooohhhhyyyyyaaaa:D

MerimacHamwich
11-12-2002, 01:51 PM
I wasn't sure if I woud like it or not until I read Chris-XBAs bootcamp thing and read some articles about it. Just imagine 16 mechs running around on XBOX Live demolishing eachother and the environment around them. It should be great fun. Not to mention it is supposed to have great graphics.

I don't think this will be a serious game where you want total concentration and what not. I think it will just be mindless destruction fun. Just run around and blow things up and laugh like crazy with your friends.

As for the system link stuff. I know for sure that Unreal has system link and xbox live capabilities. They say you can use the Headset for system link play too.

JJaX
11-12-2002, 02:07 PM
Are you sure its 16 XBL?

I was under the impression it was 8 people at a time. (which is still cool)

MerimacHamwich
11-12-2002, 02:11 PM
I am not sure. But still, 8 mechs stomping around is enough mayhem for me.

studepaber
11-12-2002, 02:18 PM
It can't be 16 can it??? I thought I heard the framerate drops a bit with 8 players on screen at once with everything that goes on, let alone 16.. Gonna pick this up and Ghost Recon (probably) tomorrow, then wait a few days and get Live and UC friday, happy happy joy joy. Still upset they pushed back UC to Friday, d@mn dirty apes!