PDA

View Full Version : Whats the big deal with jap games

rockola
11-10-2002, 01:27 AM
I know Im gonna get some flames for this.

it seems like every since the xbox has been out, Ive been reading about how much people clammor over those quirky japanese games. I dont know about most people but Im 30 years old and all those cell shaded, dragonball z, kooky teenage RPGs and the like just looks like games for kids. there are games that are made by japanese companies that I tend to like but a lot of what people want from japan, I just dont see the appeal. why would I want to play a game that the main characture is 16 years old and have some sort of puppy love crush on another teenage girl. Those games may end up being good games but I couldnt imagine going to buy a game like kingdom hearts for myself, never the less actually letting someone see me at home playing it, or god sakes it has goofy and donald duck on the cover.

Im wondering, is it mainly the younger players that are clammoring over these games or are the older crowd juiced up for them also? is there anyone my age buying these games for themselves?

TegSkywalker
11-10-2002, 01:48 AM
I agree with you in regard to the Japanese influence on gaming and how its power is going down over the last few years. Most of the top games these days like GTA or Halo are made by US or UK companies wheras old franchises including Final Fantasy are getting weaked due to companies like Squaresoft blindly ignoring the Xbox market for example.

Its silly when the Final Fantasy MMORPG requries a hard drive for PS2, yet Sony isn't 100% sure about making one for the American crowd or the Xbox. But I guess we will have to put up with the Japanese culture which is SO overly biased towards not only American products but things in general. As long as we keep buying their franchises, they will be around.

P.S. I never got Dragonball Z either. What is it anyways? :eek:

FuNkY mOnK
11-10-2002, 07:23 AM
I know guys in their late thirty's that love dragonball Z , for some reason the fights seem to appeal to them. as far as rpg games, i prefer morrowind shenmue2 and where the f uck is project ego? appropriately named. big heads spiky hair and high squeaking voices with turnbase combat is not the role i want to play.

jbrewer
11-10-2002, 08:38 AM
Yeah, the media hype behind final fantasy kingdom is a little strange. I wonder more about who decides which games wont come to the U.S. market. From what I understand N.U.D.E.@ wont make it for X-box and for PS 2 there was some mosquito suking human blood and not get swatted and a vector graphics based game by the PaRapper developers. Starting to ramble, later.