PDA

View Full Version : multi region dvd

richard.slow
11-10-2002, 12:17 PM
does the x box play multi region dvd's ?

Hugh_Jass
11-10-2002, 09:49 PM
If you mean region-free/region 0 DVDs the answer is yes.
If you are asking if the XBOX is a region-free player, the answer is no. The region is locked the first time you attach a DVD playback kit.

Discretion
11-10-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
If you mean region-free/region 0 DVDs the answer is yes.
If you are asking if the XBOX is a region-free player, the answer is no. The region is locked the first time you attach a DVD playback kit.

Yep. 100% correct. I heard its region free when you buy the XBOX until you insert the DVD kit. Is this true? I know you need the kit so no escape but I am just wondering if you can use any region DVD kit but once the 1st one's in, its set for life.

LynxFX
11-11-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Discretion
Yep. 100% correct. I heard its region free when you buy the XBOX until you insert the DVD kit. Is this true? I know you need the kit so no escape but I am just wondering if you can use any region DVD kit but once the 1st one's in, its set for life.

Yes that is correct also. Say you have a Region 1 Xbox and you import the Region 2 dvd kit. Plug it in and now you have a Region 1 Xbox that plays all region 1 games fine, but will only play Region 2 dvd's. It is now locked though in that region. Apparently the Xbox does pretty good NTSC to PAL and vice versa conversion.

xboxgamer142
11-11-2002, 05:25 AM
Yes it does. I have myself tried it. It plays Region 1 (if you got a US Xbox) and Region 0 (codefree, multi-region, ALL) DVDs.

alien_69
11-12-2002, 02:47 AM
too bad it gets locked to a region permanently. i moved to japan and it would be cool to just plug in whatever region dvd decoder/remote set you want. oh well, time to buy a region free dvd player.

Steel Batallion looks nice btw too bad i can't play it on my xbox... yet :D