PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the progressive scan?

prattkidd
11-16-2001, 09:19 AM
i got a toshiba 40h80 hdtv, and i bought the hdtv pack. But the games still look like non progressive. Theres mad choppy lines and in doa 3 the forset board. the leaves look like crap when the camera turns. whats the deal?

DOOM
11-16-2001, 09:23 AM
Was The Game Made With Higher Resolution, What Game. Did you plug your component cabele into the proper tv imputs. Did You Set Up The Video Settings through Your XBOX So It Displays In HD?
:cool:

prattkidd
11-16-2001, 09:37 AM
cables jacks settings on the xbox, and tv all correct.

DOOM
11-16-2001, 10:03 AM
Maby The Game Doesnt Support it... Maby it's 4.1...

mojo__31
11-16-2001, 12:26 PM
The Xbox doesn't have Progressive Scan, that was taken out of the specs awhile ago due to costs.

DOOM
11-16-2001, 12:40 PM
LOL, Dude...
It Supports Progressive Scanning In The Games Only Rite Now...
In The Future P-Scann May Be Unlocked In The DVD Bu A Software Upgrade... The Hardware Is P-Scann Ready!!!

mojo__31
11-16-2001, 12:55 PM
Where did you read that, I read somewhere the Progressive scan is out completely.

Koolice98
11-16-2001, 02:39 PM
check this out about pro scan http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2824108,00.html

mojo__31
11-16-2001, 03:21 PM
Koolice, that is the article I read. It says no prograssive scan in the DVD player, I assume that would mean as a whole. If it could do it in games, it would in movies to. Here is the article for all to read:

No progressive-scan for Xbox DVD

The Xbox DVD player will not have progressive-scan capabilities.

Microsoft has confirmed that the progressive-scan DVD feature will not be available in the final retail version of the Xbox console. The company would not elaborate on the specific reasons behind the exclusion of progressive-scan, but judging from previous comments from Microsoft executives, the feature was, at one point, under consideration for inclusion in the Xbox. Supported by newer digital high-definition televisions, progressive-scan writes one full frame of video in a single pass--as opposed to the double pass used for the regular interlaced method--which results in a clearer DVD image quality.
Issues with cost are likely the primary reasons that Microsoft has decided not to include progressive-scan capabilities in its DVD players. Currently, stand-alone progressive-scan DVD players range in price from $200 to more than $1,000. Consumers will have to purchase a separate DVD kit, which includes a remote and software, for an approximate price of $29 to play DVD movies on the Xbox. The console will be released this Thursday.

CO1
11-17-2001, 02:46 AM
Everything I have read says that all games are able to do 480p and that the XBox does progressive scan. It was also going to have progressive scan for the DVD player but it was disabled but the games would still be progressive scan. Unless something has changed in the past couple of days I would assume that it is still this way.

In regards to your Toshiba 40h80 are you sure you have the component cables connected to the right connection? Most HDTV's have at least 2 sets of component connections, 1 standard and 1 high def. Try them both, it will not hurt your TV.

mojo__31
11-17-2001, 08:38 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the games have nothing to do with it. If the DVD player that plays the games doesn't have progressive scan support, nothing can be played in progressive scan period.

Haine
11-17-2001, 05:03 PM
The X-box does have progressive scan dvd player and i do run my games at 480p.If the tv doesnt recognize a 480p signal it would not switch to 480p.All games at least support the 480p signal.Hopefully some will support the 720p.....=)