PDA

View Full Version : What the? Back after a year

Veno
11-12-2002, 06:46 PM
A year ago on these forums everyone was so excited and there were about 30 games supposedly coming out november 2002 for xbox live. So, naturally i went into hybernation. And after I was reawakened I find a very small amount of crappy games.

I mean, ghost recon? I played htat almost a year ago and it sucked then. How will it be better with a limited control system such as the xbox controller? If you want the best tactical ops experience on the net, get counter strike, i mean any computer newer then 4 years ago can play it, and nothing beats it.

And seriously, Unreal Championship? From what i've heard it's an exact clone of UT2k3 but with a gameplay speed slowdown because the xbox can't handle the frames. I mean, if you want a good dm experience, get UT2k3, and dont tell me u need an amazingly awesome computer. I mean my 1.3 gig athlon thunderbird with a geforce 4 420 mx card can run 32 player games with no slowdown and no lag. A 1.3g thunderbird is about 140$ now, and a geforce 4 420 mx is 100$. Put it together, you can pull off a comp like that for about 500$ total at a nice shop.

Next, another mech clone? I mean, i've read about it and I still have nooo idea what's the hype, it looks like a 3rd person mech warrior 4 with destructible buildings. And the worst thing about it, is that there is only 8 people per game. That was the only fun thing about mech games, massively huge multiplayer games with gigantic battlefields full of carnage. Now that that's gone, what fun is there?

Alright, everyone in this forum is going to argue with me on these, with is very obvious. Could people give me some info how these games are different than i think they are? Maybe i'm wrong, maybe UC has vehicles and ghost recon has some huge graphic engine over haul with a simpler controll system. Fill me in.

rio2012
11-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Fool, you need to be slaped back in to hybernation!!!!!!

Veno
11-12-2002, 07:04 PM
what hte hell was that? kinda *** because i asked for specific distinctions between what i see htese games as and what they really are.

Dre
11-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Veno
A year ago on these forums everyone was so excited and there were about 30 games supposedly coming out november 2002 for xbox live. So, naturally i went into hybernation. And after I was reawakened I find a very small amount of crappy games.

I mean, ghost recon? I played htat almost a year ago and it sucked then. How will it be better with a limited control system such as the xbox controller? If you want the best tactical ops experience on the net, get counter strike, i mean any computer newer then 4 years ago can play it, and nothing beats it.

And seriously, Unreal Championship? From what i've heard it's an exact clone of UT2k3 but with a gameplay speed slowdown because the xbox can't handle the frames. I mean, if you want a good dm experience, get UT2k3, and dont tell me u need an amazingly awesome computer. I mean my 1.3 gig athlon thunderbird with a geforce 4 420 mx card can run 32 player games with no slowdown and no lag. A 1.3g thunderbird is about 140$ now, and a geforce 4 420 mx is 100$. Put it together, you can pull off a comp like that for about 500$ total at a nice shop.

Next, another mech clone? I mean, i've read about it and I still have nooo idea what's the hype, it looks like a 3rd person mech warrior 4 with destructible buildings. And the worst thing about it, is that there is only 8 people per game. That was the only fun thing about mech games, massively huge multiplayer games with gigantic battlefields full of carnage. Now that that's gone, what fun is there?

Alright, everyone in this forum is going to argue with me on these, with is very obvious. Could people give me some info how these games are different than i think they are? Maybe i'm wrong, maybe UC has vehicles and ghost recon has some huge graphic engine over haul with a simpler controll system. Fill me in.

Hey bro, great to cya back. Hopefully you'll stick around this time! Alright, I guess I'll fill you in on what I know.

1. Ghost Recon. Xbox Live. Xbox Communicator. Downloadable content (read: missions & maps & more). That there says it all my friend. Thats why you'd want to pick this up. As for control issues.... why do you think we have the communicator? Voice commands! oh yeah!

2. UC is not a Ut2k3 clone as is the general myth...Xbox live once again man. Communicator. Its just going to be such a big community. All new maps, downloadable maps, etc....

Anyhoo, gotta go watch Smallville :D

Veno
11-12-2002, 07:08 PM
First, smallville isnt for another hour where i live, and second, voice communicator? I don't think a headsets going to make a bad game into a good one, especially when counter strike has this when it is a good game WITH voice communication built in.

MerimacHamwich
11-12-2002, 07:26 PM
Yes it will

Frostberg
11-12-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Yes it will

Oh Yeah...

The Voice Communicator can even make ReVolt fun...

Alien
11-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Rio, why do you have this in your sig:

http://www.hostmysig.com/data/rio2012/2.jpg

Hitman2 on XBL?? :confused: Err...

l Maximus l
11-12-2002, 07:54 PM

Veno....good to see you posting again...but, who urinated on your cornflakes, dude?

Unreal Championship is not a "clone" of UT2K3. It will be much like it, yes...but, not exactly. Unreal Championship was delayed 2 weeks and was supposed to, originally, come out on Oct 29th. Why the delay? Their reasoning was due to the fact that Microsoft wanted them to increase the framerate 10 additional frames per second. So, the framing issue is taken care of. As for the game itself, it is tailored for the XBox. Multi-player mayhem customized to the XBox controller and every single player will be possessing a voice communicator...not some like Counter Strike on the PC...but, every single player will have a headset. This is HUGE...not only that, but, XBox Live requires broadband unlike PCs...and, playing on the PC is definately fun, however, when you run across an idiot trying to play with his dial up modem, it ruins the game for everyone. And, you know the type of person I'm talking about.

As for Mechassault, I've been reading more and more about this game and have come to the conclusion that there is a lot of tactical things in this game. I guess this game, visually, is utterly stunning...but, I can't talk more than that about this game, like UC, because I haven't actually sat down and played it yet.

As for Ghost Recon...I'll probably pass on this one... Not because the game is a year old, but, I just don't want to have too many XBox Live games all at once because I want to concentrate on one or two of them so I can get enough practice.

Just my $.02 :)

Chr0nik
11-12-2002, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately I will only be jumping on board XBL come February. Damn budget constraints with my daughter on the way and my new house. Enjoy boys.

Variation-XBA
11-12-2002, 08:15 PM
Lol....CS is garbage :P

Xbox Owner
11-12-2002, 08:18 PM
lol..ven your last post other than today was 10-17-2002 so you weren't gone for a year

Genocide
11-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Alien
Rio, why do you have this in your sig:

http://www.hostmysig.com/data/rio2012/2.jpg

Hitman2 on XBL?? :confused: Err...

`Tis his gamertag, bunghole ;)

MerimacHamwich
11-12-2002, 08:54 PM
I think ReVolt is fun with the communicator. Not that much fun without it.

Veno
11-12-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

Veno....good to see you posting again...but, who urinated on your cornflakes, dude?

Unreal Championship is not a "clone" of UT2K3. It will be much like it, yes...but, not exactly. Unreal Championship was delayed 2 weeks and was supposed to, originally, come out on Oct 29th. Why the delay? Their reasoning was due to the fact that Microsoft wanted them to increase the framerate 10 additional frames per second. So, the framing issue is taken care of. As for the game itself, it is tailored for the XBox. Multi-player mayhem customized to the XBox controller and every single player will be possessing a voice communicator...not some like Counter Strike on the PC...but, every single player will have a headset. This is HUGE...not only that, but, XBox Live requires broadband unlike PCs...and, playing on the PC is definately fun, however, when you run across an idiot trying to play with his dial up modem, it ruins the game for everyone. And, you know the type of person I'm talking about.

As for Mechassault, I've been reading more and more about this game and have come to the conclusion that there is a lot of tactical things in this game. I guess this game, visually, is utterly stunning...but, I can't talk more than that about this game, like UC, because I haven't actually sat down and played it yet.

As for Ghost Recon...I'll probably pass on this one... Not because the game is a year old, but, I just don't want to have too many XBox Live games all at once because I want to concentrate on one or two of them so I can get enough practice.

Just my $.02 :)

Whaaa? First I kind of understand what you mean about not everyone in cs having a headset, but you just have to be in a professional server, that's all. And modem players ruining the game? Hardly, it's impossible to get lag if you have a nice dsl/cable speed in any number of players from 2-32.

Second... On mechassault, u didn't really read what i said. I said 8 player mech battles are boring, they're small and irritating without npc's/bots.

For UC, besides controls, what does "tailored for the xbox" mean? I mean, are you saying that the game will be slowed down so the xbox hardware can handle it? Or are you saying that the graphics will be toned down so the xbox can keep a good frame rate? Or, are you saying that there are some whole new maps and **** that are specific for the xbox, though I dunno why that would be "tailoring it for the xbox".

Also... Ghost Recon is just a terrible game, and the xbox controller wont beable to handle the controls of the original pc version at all.

Unless theres somethin huge, i'll be saving up my cash til raven shield and condition zero on pc. Also I'll be buying xbox live next year at about december for halo 2.

I would definately get xbox live if there were some way to get halo to run on it. And i can't stand the lag on xbconnect or gamespy or whatever.

Alien
11-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Genocide

`Tis his gamertag, bunghole ;) I see...

l Maximus l
11-12-2002, 09:38 PM
[B]

Whaaa? First I kind of understand what you mean about not everyone in cs having a headset, but you just have to be in a professional server, that's all. And modem players ruining the game? Hardly, it's impossible to get lag if you have a nice dsl/cable speed in any number of players from 2-32.

What I meant about dial up modems ruining the game is that if it lags for them, then, they can quit and everyone gets booted off the game. Maybe this hasn't happened to you, but, it's happened to me several times and, quite frankly, it sucks.

And, about the headset...everyone on XBox Live will have one...not just some people. This makes so much more enjoyable, in my opinion, because many on-line games would be so much more enhanced when voice is present, therefore, adding so much more strategy to the game or games.

Second... On mechassault, u didn't really read what i said. I said 8 player mech battles are boring, they're small and irritating without npc's/bots.

Actually, dude...I did read it. But, isn't that kind of subjective? Some people may actually like it while others don't. Know what I mean?

For UC, besides controls, what does "tailored for the xbox" mean? I mean, are you saying that the game will be slowed down so the xbox hardware can handle it? Or are you saying that the graphics will be toned down so the xbox can keep a good frame rate? Or, are you saying that there are some whole new maps and **** that are specific for the xbox, though I dunno why that would be "tailoring it for the xbox".

What I meant was that the XBox Controller is tailored to Unreal Championship, similar to how Halo utilized the XBox controller so well while playing it. In other words, the controls are not complicated and will maximize the gameplay controls in absense of a keyboard and mouse to the best possible control. By the way, UC won't have to be slowed down so the XBox can handle it. Even Halo doesn't fully utilize the XBox hardware...I think UC will come closer to it.

Also... Ghost Recon is just a terrible game, and the xbox controller wont beable to handle the controls of the original pc version at all.

Again, kind of subjective. Some people may love Ghost Recon and others may think it's old news. Personally, I'm going to rent it before buying it...I played it a long time ago on the PC...only one time...and, while I found it to be a pretty good game for the limited time I played it, I still haven't made a final decision on it. As for the controls not being able to handle the game as well as the original PC version... I mean, that's pretty obvious as it is adventagious for FPS gamers to utilize a keyboard and a mouse. To me, it's so much more natural using a controller instead of point and click...but, again, that's just my opinion as I prefer console gaming over PC gaming for several reasons.

Unless theres somethin huge, i'll be saving up my cash til raven shield and condition zero on pc. Also I'll be buying xbox live next year at about december for halo 2.

Halo 2 is going to be bad ass...I'm a huge fan of Halo like you are....and, I'm seriously bummed that it's not going to be on XBox Live. Halo 2 will, as you know.

I would definately get xbox live if there were some way to get halo to run on it. And i can't stand the lag on xbconnect or gamespy or whatever.

I agree...the lag can be terrible...so terrible to the point that, unless you are hosting, it's not that fun. There is a local dude to me that hosts Halo matches all the time who has a bad ass connection...but, even with that, there is a certain level of bullet delay.

darianX
11-13-2002, 09:23 AM
Ya know, I wish all the folks who do nothing but moan and complain about the "poor quality games, PS2 ports and PC ports" would just sell their Xbox and go sit behind a monitor. People seem to have forgotten what games are all about - fun. With the thousands of games out there you'd think they would be able to find something that suits them but obviously not. I found this line pretty funny though: "I mean, ghost recon? I played htat almost a year ago and it sucked then." One sentence away, he then extolls the virtues of Counterstrike, a 2+ year old mod for a game 3 years old.

Just step away from the Xbox, go sell it, and go play with your computer.

Veno
11-13-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by darianX
I found this line pretty funny though: "I mean, ghost recon? I played htat almost a year ago and it sucked then." One sentence away, he then extolls the virtues of Counterstrike, a 2+ year old mod for a game 3 years old.

Just step away from the Xbox, go sell it, and go play with your computer.

Um, I wasn't saying that it sucked because it was old, I was saying it sucked because it's a lame game. I was saying, if it sucked a year ago, why would it be better today? Now we have more standards. And Counter Strike was good 2 years ago, and may even have a bigger population of gamers playing it now then it did then. Not nearly the same can be said about ghost recon. And don't get me wrong, I love the rainbow six franchise, I was a rogue spear freak, waisted a lot of hours on that game on clan ladder. I just want something new, not something old dug up with a headset.

And Max, I've never heard of 56k's leaving and everyone getting booted. I'm sorry you have that problem.
Also, like I said before, if you are a professional in CS and play on ladders, everyone already does have a headset.

LynxFX
11-13-2002, 03:43 PM
UC is a clone of UT2K3 with the exception that it has 10 additional maps that are not found on UT2k3 (retail, 100's of maps are available for download now) and the weapons have a different look. Otherwise, clone. A good clone none-the-less but not worth it if you already have UT2K3 IMHO. If you don't then it should be a great game on Live.

MechAssault looks like something I've never seen before even in another Mech game. It is probably the most promising of the Live launch titles.

Whacked!? Hello....nothing like that on the PC and it is a game where the communicator definately makes the game. So simple yet so much fun and with a bit of depth too I might add.

Funny how you mention old games when Counter Strike is pushing 3. It is a fun game, no denying that but I wouldn't mind something new in that genre.

I just wonder why there aren't any Live enable fighting games. Those are the type of games that I identify consoles with yet none on Live and I don't recall any announced yet. Of course MS used a fake one in their Live promotional videos since the beginning.

Live does beat every other attempt at online gaming by a console hands down. The infostructure is there, now bring on the content!!

Veno
11-13-2002, 04:05 PM
You think I think the age of a game matters... I never said there was nothing wrong with old games, just htat bringing old games with no improvements onto a console which 'should' beable to handle something better is strange. I mean, everyone in this forum thinks xbox is the best means of gaming on the planet, but when microsoft can't find anything better than snatching old games and putting them over the internet on a controller you know theres something wrong.

Maybe I'm the only one here who expected that there were going to be some genre defining great games coming out for xbox live. But instead all I see are clones, old r6 franchise games, a mech sim with only 10 mechs to choose from, and whacked. And i have no clue what whacked is other then it has something to do with a gameshow.