PDA

View Full Version : Rumorville........

l Maximus l
11-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Discouraging rumor here, dudes:

Apparently, a couple thousand Beta testers for XBox Live are not able to access XBox Live because they had Modded XBoxes. And, Rumorville tells me that there has been a huge Hacker retaliation and they are putting viruses on their XBoxes and giving it to people that are playing on XBox Live...basically shutting down XBox hard-drives. Now, this is just Rumorville telling me... But, it concerned me... Please provide your input.

ThomasHun
11-12-2002, 09:16 PM
*******s better not.

ARONO129
11-12-2002, 09:19 PM
Max sounds to me like PS2 or GC fanboys speading rumors not viruses.

I remember when the Xbox was launched and people were saying "My Xbox overheated and started to melt" or "The light started to flash orange and then it started to smoke" Blah, blah, blah. I'm going to put these rumors where I put yesterdays chili and fries.

l Maximus l
11-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ARONO129
Max sounds to me like PS2 or GC fanboys speading rumors not viruses.

I remember when the Xbox was launched and people were saying "My Xbox overheated and started to melt" or "The light started to flash orange and then it started to smoke" Blah, blah, blah. I'm going to put these rumors where I put yesterdays chili and fries.

I hope you're right. But, the thing is, I wasn't told this by any PoS2 or LameCube fanboys...this was an XBL Beta Tester who saw some of this stuff first hand and in the works. I guess XBox Hackers are all over this...personally, I would like to meet these fat old nerds in person and kick their asses. :mad:

Afro Aura
11-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

I hope you're right. But, the thing is, I wasn't told this by any PoS2 or LameCube fanboys...this was an XBL Beta Tester who saw some of this stuff first hand and in the works. I guess XBox Hackers are all over this...personally, I would like to meet these fat old nerds in person and kick their asses. :mad:
Yep me too!!!

xboxmaster2002
11-12-2002, 09:36 PM
that would suck... i hope this isnt happening to people if so they are going to have to release a download like a patch so you cant catch the virus... another thing is they must be able to track who caused this and they have all their info in their accounts.

l Maximus l
11-12-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by xboxmaster2002
that would suck... i hope this isnt happening to people if so they are going to have to release a download like a patch so you cant catch the virus... another thing is they must be able to track who caused this and they have all their info in their accounts.

Your last point is huge...I hope that will discourage some people. But, I understand that they are able to change the serial numbers on their XBoxes to bypass that...atleast, that's what the rumors are saying. I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

I don't mean to discourage any of you by this...just to caution people so we all won't be naive of the fact that there are idiots out there that once had XBL but can't because of their own faults in modding their XBoxes.

l Maximus l
11-12-2002, 09:53 PM
Here's an update, dudes:

Apparently, the beta tester I know that has been sharing these rumors with me also had a modded XBox. And, he "unmodded" his XBox and still couldn't get on XBox Live. I guess a new serial number for his XBox would work, though...but, I found that pretty interesting.

Variation-XBA
11-12-2002, 10:21 PM
Well I hope that the modded box's cant play, but that virus thing is retarded....some people... :P

The Hitman
11-12-2002, 11:18 PM
If they can't get their machines onto the Xbox Live network, how are they sending viruses into it with their Xbox's?

Craig35_007
11-12-2002, 11:32 PM
how does another user connect with your hard drive on xbox live?

they can't.

end this thread, ridiculousness

SPARTAN VI
11-13-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Craig35_007
how does another user connect with your hard drive on xbox live?

they can't.

end this thread, ridiculousness

Downloads, or maybe the term HACKER means something...:rolleyes:

LynxFX
11-13-2002, 12:07 AM
Pure false rumor. For one thing, they just stated that they couldn't get on Live with a modded box. Next you can't use your Xbox to run modded software without...a mod chip. So with that you still can't get on Live to even attempt anything.

I believe this is more pointless fanboyism of the worst kind.

SPARTAN VI
11-13-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Pure false rumor. For one thing, they just stated that they couldn't get on Live with a modded box. Next you can't use your Xbox to run modded software without...a mod chip. So with that you still can't get on Live to even attempt anything.

I believe this is more pointless fanboyism of the worst kind.

Probably, but if the source is one of Max's buds, what is the point in lying about it? It won't discourage me whether it's true or not, XBOX LIVE WILL STILL KICK A$S!!:cool:

LynxFX
11-13-2002, 12:18 AM
Max's bud or not, it is probably just backlash at getting caught.

l Maximus l
11-13-2002, 02:28 AM
Don't get me wrong, dudes... I haven't seen this or anything...and as I pointed out, the name of this thread is "Rumorville". I'm just telling you things that I've heard...and another thing was that Hackers shut down XBox Live for 3 hours the other day due to Hackers.

Again, don't get me wrong, I just want to make sure people are a little cautious...I seriously don't want anything like this to happen any more than you dudes.

And, of course, I'm not going to start rumors myself and make the green X look bad in any way. I'm not a psycho mod! :D

Reclaimer
11-13-2002, 03:16 AM
So my question is, how do you launch a virus into the Live network? With a modded Xbox? I bet you the white coat techs at MS are working to prevent such an outrage from occuring. If they went so far that if you unmodded your previosly modded xbox and it still wouldn't work, then there are some deeper security measures not yet discussed in open or discovered at all. How much information do you think you are privledged to? Even if you're a beta tester, you can bet your bottom dollar that there are some serious measures in place. How do I know? That's just good coroporate thinking. Don't you think that a multi billion dollar technology giant such as MS who is building a network from the ground up has put incredible scrutiny into it's security practices? Not just to safeguard the customers, but to protect it's assets (being the equipment) and it's reputation. I would think that they considered hackers trying to ruin Live's Launching day and the Xboxes 1 year birthday. No system is bulletproof, but I think if you had the power and the money of microsoft, it's pretty close to being bulletproof.

rio2012
11-13-2002, 07:09 AM
I think this rumor got WAY out of hand.

P.S. Checkout my cool XBL gamertag sig.:cool:

scarecrow kfj
11-13-2002, 11:17 AM
I havnt had anything go wrong with mine and as someone said earlier if they cant get on XBL how can they send the virus. Modded xboxs wont work and I think that is good.

Slacker
11-13-2002, 01:11 PM
Military Encryption. on Xbox live, nuff said and I am so glad Modded Xbox's Don't work. and the Retaliation of the Hackers is like a Two year old screaming because he pooped on the floor and doens't wanna clean it up,,,. what a "spoiled Baby" reaction,,

Leviathon
11-13-2002, 01:26 PM
That's what they get for modding their box....:D

Afro Aura
11-13-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Slacker
Military Encryption. on Xbox live, nuff said and I am so glad Modded Xbox's Don't work. and the Retaliation of the Hackers is like a Two year old screaming because he pooped on the floor and doens't wanna clean it up,,,. what a "spoiled Baby" reaction,,
Your right
I think MS should let modded XBOX use there own server and virus there own machines that'll teach 'em :D