PDA

View Full Version : is microsoft cheating me

lordarutha
11-13-2002, 12:07 AM
Everyone I know that has an Xbox is having problems with their console, including me. The box, I paid 300 some odd dollars for, plays all the older games but not the new ones. Something could have been wrong with it from the start and I wouldnt have been able to tell, making my warranty useless. My friend has Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 that doesnt work on his but works on mine. NFL fever 2003 doesnt work on my console but works on his. At first I thought it was just the disc but I even took it to Target and it worked there. On the Xbox they pulled off the shelf because the previous one was broken.
I feel cheated as you can tell. I what to know what Xbox can do for me!
I have tried to call and chat online with technical Support and they have no answers. All they say is it needs repair. Repair costs 99.95 plus tax & shipping. A new box at Target that comes with 2 games 1 controller and a set of cables costs 199 plus tax.
I love Xbox but what I am going through sucks. Like I said, EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNOW WITH AN XBOX THAT IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEIR CONSOLE. Including the retailer. This is out of control.

SPARTAN VI
11-13-2002, 12:12 AM
No, MS aint cheatin you, TARGET IS.:D

Variation-XBA
11-13-2002, 12:17 AM
None of my friends have had problems....

maybe microsoft is out just to get YOU and YOUR friends!
Its a conspiracy!!!!

Either get it fixed, get someone elses warranty, or have a broken Xbox...simple as that ;)

Evil_Dr_Beefy
11-13-2002, 01:12 AM
lordarutha, welcome to the forum....i been having some what of the same problem......make sure your lens is clean....get a dvd lens cleaner..or you could sell it on ebay....i know a few guys that would pay top dollar for the parts out of it..with the up coming price cuts now would be a great time to buy another one...hope this helps.........no microsoft didn't cheat you......S*** happens sometimes :)

Variation-XBA
11-13-2002, 02:06 AM
Yes they did... Mr Bill didnt have enough $$ so he wanted yer $300! ;)

l Maximus l
11-13-2002, 02:25 AM
I bought my XBox at Launch and forked over $300, too...and, mine plays all games...new and old...and purs like a kitten...

Meeeeooooow :D

WOWSY
11-13-2002, 02:28 AM
I bought mine in January and it started having problems with disc read errors and "021" errors. I had alot of problems with OXM discs and DVD freeze ups.

I called MS after I kept getting disc read errors after every MOTOGP race on Xbox LIVE. After giving them a good ear full, they agreed to fix mine for $50. So I sent it in last Tuesday and got it back yesterday. Only it wasn't the original one that I sent them. I called MS and found out that they sent me a refurbished one that has the new Philips DVD drive in it instead of the crappy Thomson (RCA) one. They even copied all my saved files including Xbox LIVE Beta info to the new HD. All I had to do was set the time and other parameters that I had in the old one.

Damn thing works great!

Zion
11-13-2002, 07:23 AM
I've had mine since launch day and have never had a problem. I know about 25 other folks with Xbox's...not a single problem.

So from your message it looks like you answered your own question. You said you paid $300 for it, so that means it's almost a year old. You've probably just worn it out...or who knows...you could have dropped it or spilled water in it...we'll never know.

But reading your post you said you could either:

1) Pay the $99 to have it repaired.
2) Buy a new one for $199.

Looks like those are your options. You and all your friends must live in a radioactive field or something...I've never seen any problems with any Xbox's.

Originally posted by lordarutha
Everyone I know that has an Xbox is having problems with their console, including me. The box, I paid 300 some odd dollars for, plays all the older games but not the new ones. Something could have been wrong with it from the start and I wouldnt have been able to tell, making my warranty useless. My friend has Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 that doesnt work on his but works on mine. NFL fever 2003 doesnt work on my console but works on his. At first I thought it was just the disc but I even took it to Target and it worked there. On the Xbox they pulled off the shelf because the previous one was broken.
I feel cheated as you can tell. I what to know what Xbox can do for me!
I have tried to call and chat online with technical Support and they have no answers. All they say is it needs repair. Repair costs 99.95 plus tax & shipping. A new box at Target that comes with 2 games 1 controller and a set of cables costs 199 plus tax.
I love Xbox but what I am going through sucks. Like I said, EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNOW WITH AN XBOX THAT IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEIR CONSOLE. Including the retailer. This is out of control.

rio2012
11-13-2002, 07:43 AM
Hey, Dude dont feal so bad look at the peps having problems with there ps2's messing up there cd's and the probs wit the dvd drive or something. If u think about it peps that have ps2 have alot more stuff to watch for.

Hugh_Jass
11-13-2002, 08:08 AM
I'm not doubting some people have had problems, but mine has been running flawlessly since launch.

Alien
11-13-2002, 08:33 AM
Mine is fairly "older", and it plays any game I've played on it like a charm.

scarecrow kfj
11-13-2002, 08:49 AM
I havnt had a prob and I havehad mine since launch as well. Do you clean yours? Cause they do recomend cleaning it with a lens cleaner after every 8 hours of use. Also maybe try some compressed air it might be just dust inside. Has it been yanked ? I mean with XBL i had just a minor pro and that was just an error saying I needed to plug in my dvd play back kit but that was cause it would start up while Iwas in the dash board. Which was my fault.

tennyson
11-13-2002, 08:59 AM
I, too, have had my box since launch with no problems at all (aside from the rare freeze). I hjave had lock ups on Morrowind as well, but I don't attribute that to the hardware.

RudedogX
11-13-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by scarecrow kfj
I havnt had a prob and I havehad mine since launch as well. Do you clean yours? Cause they do recomend cleaning it with a lens cleaner after every 8 hours of use. Also maybe try some compressed air it might be just dust inside. Has it been yanked ? I mean with XBL i had just a minor pro and that was just an error saying I needed to plug in my dvd play back kit but that was cause it would start up while Iwas in the dash board. Which was my fault.

I've had mine since launch...but WHOA! We're supposed to clean them? Wow, I don't think I've cleaned mine yet and still no problem. Strange...I guess it's true what they say...God protects Drunks and Fools!:D

scarecrow kfj
11-13-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by rudedogX

I've had mine since launch...but WHOA! We're supposed to clean them? Wow, I don't think I've cleaned mine yet and still no problem. Strange...I guess it's true what they say...God protects Drunks and Fools!:D

lmao.

darianX
11-13-2002, 09:05 AM
Simply amazing...lordarutha's VERY FIRST POST is a complaint about the Xbox not working. Sounds quite familiar......There is one thing I really wish people would stop moaning about, and that is the cost of repair. It's mindboggling to see literally hundreds of posts on forums and Usenet about the repair cost. Why didn't they just pay the $25 for the warranty? In May, I got a letter offering me the warranty and thank God I bought it, because mine is being fixed right now with NO cost to me whatsoever. I'm hoping it's back by Friday for XBL :cool:

WOWSY
11-13-2002, 12:17 PM
I agree that I should've purchased the warranty on day one, but I've learned my lesson and purchased the 2 year warranty from MS this time. :cool:

skysaw
11-13-2002, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't bother welcoming lordarutha to the forums, or even addressing any comments directly to him. He won't be back. He just popped in to troll, and is not likely to even have been in the same room as an XBox before.

He posted the same thing in the official XBox forums, word-for-word, and never responded to anything posted thereafter.

lordarutha
11-13-2002, 05:09 PM
i just posted this yesterday.
i wanted some advise thank u to those of people who gave me the curtousy and time u did.as for some people get a life!!!

SPARTAN VI
11-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by tennyson
I, too, have had my box since launch with no problems at all (aside from the rare freeze). I hjave had lock ups on Morrowind as well, but I don't attribute that to the hardware.

YEAH!:eek: My freagin Morrowind froze up only when I was on the east side of the island. I took te CD out and it was fine, but! when I shined it under a light at night (bot daylight) I could see an intricate pattern of scratches on one side of the CD. I still beat the game (it was a pain, d@mn thing froze at least twice a day:( ) kicked Daggoth Ur's a$s, and became the master of three or four guilds. AND I DONT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY OTHER GAMES, it was only the defected Morrowind...:rolleyes: