PDA

View Full Version : resolution

Aldous
11-13-2002, 11:09 AM
What's the max resolution xbox is capable of? and what games make use of that?

basically i'm looking at buying a new TV, and i'm trying to decide if i should get one that's HDTV ready, (1080 resolution i think) but it seems like a waste as my cable provider won't be broadcasting anything HDTV for quite a while it seems

DVD's need that fibre hookup to get to like 800 resolution and they don't even use the full HDTV?

and a decent quality non-hdtv TV can handle the 800 but regular broadcasts are at like 640?

i'm still trying to figure all this stuff out, but basically is there a point to spending the money on an HDTV television for xbox?

Ninja Scroll
11-13-2002, 11:18 AM
As far as I know NBA2K3 is the only game that takes advantage of those features you speak of,.. but their could be other titles on Xbox now and im sure later will do da same.

But if your getting a new TV you better get a Widescreen HDTV, or else your taking a step back.

btw, welcome to Xbox Addict, THE best damn dedicated Xbox site on da net, period!

btw, im Ninja Scroll,.. you might not know now, but I am your Official Undisputed Savior!:D

xboxmaster2002
11-13-2002, 12:37 PM
Shenmue 2 is HDTV compatible.

Dre
11-13-2002, 12:49 PM
1080i, 720p is the max output signal on the Xbox. You should try to get the most support that you can out of your purchase since an HDTV isn't exactly the sort of thing you buy every year, heck you don't even buy every 5 years.

LynxFX
11-13-2002, 12:54 PM
99% of Xbox games are capable of at least 480p inwhich you will want a digital tv (HD ready) for. Few games right now take advantage of any HD resolutions. 720p right now is the more popular choice since it requires less from the Xbox but the downfall is that few rearprojection HDTV's support that resolution. No games as of yet do 1080i. Dragonlair 3D will be the first and that game just went Gold. If you check around you might be able to find an HDTV that does indeed support 720p or at least upsamples it to 1080i.

If you do go with an HDTV(ready) then you will want to get a standalone progressive scan dvd player and not use your Xbox to play movies. It will only output movies in 480i which is no better than what you have now. You can find decent progressive scan dvd players for $130-$200 now.

If you want to keep intouch with what games support which resolutions then check out the site in my sig. HD gaming database one.

As for connections to your HDTV, all you will have to buy is the $20 HD AV pack from microsoft.

Gaming on a digital tv is definately worth it though. :)

LynxFX
11-13-2002, 12:57 PM
And Shenmue 2 is not HD compatible. Max it supports is 480p. It isn't even 16x9.

Games that support 720p are:
NBA 2k3
StreetHoops
Tony Hawk 4

Ninja Scroll
11-13-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
And Shenmue 2 is not HD compatible. Max it supports is 480p. It isn't even 16x9.

Games that support 720p are:
NBA 2k3
StreetHoops
Tony Hawk 4

Yo Lynx, I think shorty was mostly concerned about 16x9 than a standard 480p

and atleast I was partially right when I said NBA2K3!:D

who would'nt thought Hoops supported it!?:eek: Dat game blows!:rolleyes:

naw mean?

Hugh_Jass
11-14-2002, 08:35 AM
Dragon’s Lair 3D

The first Xbox title to feature 1080i High Definition TV graphics mode.

Play Dragon's Lair in movie-like high definition, along with 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio and 16:9 anamorphic widescreen support!

LINK (http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/dragonslairxbox/)

Aldous
11-15-2002, 10:34 AM
thanks for the help, lynx, those links in your sig lead me to some great info, i think i got a pretty good handle on things now.

i went to the local store here and there weren't any TV's that handled 720p that i could find and the salesman didn't know 720p from a hole in the ground.

the hdtv widescreens seem to be rougly double the price of a simillar sized regular tv (4:3 480i) so i'm still undecided if it's worth it or not.

and thanks for the welcome ninja, this is my first post but i've been reading these boards and this site for a while. i bought an xbox the day it came out but haven't really gotten that into it, (except halo which sucked up about a billion hours of my life). i get bored playing the computer and gaming to me is all about online gaming, so today is the day i've been waiting for for a year now. well maybe not today, the store in the building where i work just found out they aren't getting any live kits, but soon!