PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of PGR

l Maximus l
11-16-2001, 02:21 PM
I bought PGR with Halo...and, I was wondering what all of your first impressions are?

I only played it for 20 minutes...my body was on "empty" because I was tired after being up for 37 hours because I camped out to get my XBox and had to work for 9 straight hours afterwards).

My first impression is that it was great! The graphics are amazing...However, I really had a challenging time figuring out the controls and the abilities of turning my car without slamming it into the wall. Tomorrow, I plan on getting a lot of action on this game...I played Halo for about 2 1/2 hours after that :D

What was your first impressions?

Heyyoudvd
11-16-2001, 02:26 PM
I played PGR a few times at EB, and i don't think it's that great.

GT3 on PS2 has better graphics (I don't own a PS2, so don't say I'm biased, but I have played both games).

GT3 is better than PGR in pretty much every way.

PGR is decent, but it's nothng special.

Hermes
11-16-2001, 02:41 PM
Hey, that's your opinion but you must have a 12 inch TV if GT3 looks better to you than PGR.

l Maximus l
11-16-2001, 02:47 PM
Dude, I played GT3 AND PGR...and let me tell you...PGR on my 36" Toshiba S-Video TV was absolutely beautiful.

Eventhough I have only played PGR for 20 minutes so far, I can honestly say that this is, hands down, the best exotic racing game I have ever played. I only played for 20 minutes because I was absolutely brain dead yesterday because I camped out all night the night before so I could get my XBox on launch...but, tonight will be a different story (also tomorrow...I don't have to work :D).

I have played GT3 for several hours...and PGR for 20 minutes. And for the short time I played PGR, it beats the hell out of GT3.

I'm not asking everyone what they want to compare, I'm asking people what their first impressions were if they own the game.

l Maximus l
11-16-2001, 03:55 PM
Anyone else?

XBOX MSSC
11-16-2001, 10:42 PM
i like it it was tough but i got the hang of it.....it still suck tho
:o but Practice makes Perfect

Rhyze
11-16-2001, 11:21 PM
There is no doubt about it that PGR puts GT3 in it's shadow !

PGR is the best looking racing game out there !

By the way, does somebody wants to buy PS2 and GT3 ??

HdXboxN
11-18-2001, 12:04 PM
PGR + SONY HS10 61" at 1080I + HDPack + Dolby Digital is the ultimate experience for racing games. I have to tell you though. I get headaches the graphics are so sweet. :)

Anyone else racing with this experience. I think there are some gamma problems in certain levels using component video connections. I was pretty ****ed i had to choose between s-video and component breakout cables. What a joke MS. I have to buy the svideo cable for my 32 and and component for my 61". guess i need a new 32 tv :D

l Maximus l
11-27-2001, 05:40 PM
HD...purchase a set of those Monster 400s...that will make your system rock even more!!!

leecow
11-29-2001, 01:02 PM
I've put in about 4 hours on the game and am thoroughly enjoying it. The challenges are tough but who cares when the driving is this great. Even the Mini was a blast when that's all I had! :p

As a rule, I dislike "arcade" driving games that don't reward skilled driving that honors the real-world physics of extreme driving conditions. This leads me to prefer reasonably accurate driving sims with the Papyrus Nascar offerings being the best I've played. I haven't played any of the GT series but did have a go at Need for Speed and promptly returned it. That said PGR is very satisfying if I avoid getting frustrated at my own ineptitude in trying to score gold on all challenges.

Cthugg
11-30-2001, 12:38 AM
All i gotta say is... ALL THE CARS on PGR BLOWS....
GT3 way more better cars... plus you can go off-road, and
stuff like that... Gt3 has More and Better cars...

Dan Livingston
12-01-2001, 01:00 PM
GT3 has better cars.....ok...... where the hell did you get that idea from? More cars, yes, bigger variety of cars, yes, but there is no way that you can get better than Ferrari's, Audi's, Aston Martins, all those good cars.

Go ask any die hard car fan, and they will say that asian cars suck. they wish to be as good as ameican cars, and can only dream of being as good as european cars. the only asian car worth buying is the NSX, and they will redesign that in a few years to look more asian, and less exotic.

Cthugg
12-01-2001, 01:31 PM
I didnt say i like Asian car's or American.. I HATE THEM ALL...!!@!There all cheap and worthless... i rather walk then getting a chevy or ford or some honda..ONLY cars i like are european cars...especially BMW's... im juss sayin there is like a lot of selection of cars in GT3 then PGR....i wish they would make a game something like GT3 for Xbox with more cars.. and NO HYUNDIA's and HONDA's!!!

///\/\ POWER!!! hahaha

Dan Livingston
12-01-2001, 05:53 PM
Hell yeah ////\/\ power. my favorite is the Audi TT roadster, 6-spoke wheels, 230 hp, 6 speed.

To me, more tracks are important than more cars. I forgot, how many tracks does GT3 have? some where around 20? 23? and if you have 150 cars, than how many times do you race those tracks over and over? I'd rather have a ton of circuts to race differently than different cars.

l Maximus l
12-03-2001, 02:50 PM
Dude, GT3 was okay...but, PGR leaves it in the dust! The reason why PGR doesn't have off-road tacks is because the game is not designed for that! It would go against the entire name of the game: Project GOTHAM Racing. :rolleyes:

Who wants to drive around a Ford Pinto anyway? One of PGRs beginning cars is a Porche Boxter. Now, if that doesn't satisfy a new driver, then, what does? lol...not bad for a beginning car!

I am up past the Porche Esparante and Skyline...I'm trying to get my Audi TT which is next :D

Another thing I can't stand about GT3 is that when you are in second place because you slammed on a wall or something, it isn't hard to catch up, which isn't realistic. On PGR, if you seriously screw up and the other player doesn't screw up, there is no way you can catch up...which is great because that's the way it really is in life! lol...you gotta get good!!!

Dan Livingston
12-03-2001, 05:57 PM
um...maximus, you might want to check that model number on the porche esperante and see if it's all scratched out....(hint: it's a lotus)

Xbox_Die_Hard
12-03-2001, 09:57 PM
So what if GT3 has more cars, have of 'em suck worse than my mom's minivan. I mean, PGR knows what the words "GOOD CARS" mean. Besides, like your going to drive every single one of those piece-o-crap beginers cars on GT3 anyway.

Cthugg
12-03-2001, 11:00 PM
Icic.. thanx for the scope.. i think dont kno wut to get...
xbox or ps2... man.. this is very stressful...ahhhh
i hate this part... aiite.. if u guys wanna help me on wut to
get then please respond.. thanx :)

Peppynpip1
12-17-2001, 06:14 PM
ok, u shud get the xbox over the ps2 or the lamecube... only get the lamecube if u like collecting banannas in a clear ball...the ps2 is now old, the hardware is more than 2 yeas old, and is not as expandable as the xbox... trust me, i own the ps2 and the xbox

Jocepe05
12-19-2001, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Heyyoudvd
I played PGR a few times at EB, and i don't think it's that great.

GT3 on PS2 has better graphics (I don't own a PS2, so don't say I'm biased, but I have played both games).

GT3 is better than PGR in pretty much every way.

PGR is decent, but it's nothng special. what wrong with 12 inch tvs man i have one and it works great:p

Ground_Pounder
12-29-2001, 01:39 AM
After a 15 hour marathon of PGR yesterday, I can honestly say that PGR is the best, funnest, most innovative racing game i've ever played. It may be frustratingly hard at times, but hey, that makes it realistic, wich what makes me keep on trying...

**************** Spoiler for non-owners *****************

I'm trying to get the Vette ZO6 right now, but it's **** hard... oh and for the TT, just get all gold in Quick Race (easy I believe) and you'll unlock both of them, and the Camaro comes with medium, then you get the RX8 from Arcade easy, and the Opel Speedster from arcade medium... lol...

Anyone got tips on the hard stuff ?? Arcade and quick race hard get's REALLY REALLY tough... I can't beat silver in quick race, and bronze in arcade... the kudos challenges are cool though, but some are a lil too far fetched, like the first style challenge, it's next to impossible to get 1000 kudos on a small track like that.

Toonz
12-29-2001, 09:51 PM
Why are so many people determined to have a 1000 cars in a racing game. I played GT and think its a great game but quit frankly it has too many cars. Atleat 1/2 the cars on the list I have absolutely no interest in driving what so ever. I'll go with PGR quality of cars versus GT quantity of boring crap

As far as comparing GTA to PGR they are in no way similar games IMO so why compare them.

Keeping to the thread idea I think PGR is a great piece of software. A huge improvement over MSR for the DC. I hated the fact that in MSR you could actually loose total Kudo's when redoing a race. The Kudo's system is now Fun. I am finding the the single greatest feature for me is the beautifull replays. There is nothing more satisfying than watching my Car from the view of the #2Car race to a gold medal victory after my 20th attempt :^)