PDA

View Full Version : 1

Frostberg
11-14-2002, 11:11 PM
Yes...One year.

How the time does fly.

Maximus got a new job, Enron filed for bankruptcy, Johnny Unitas died and the Xbox got a new controller thanks to the Japanese.

Well, at least that’s how I will remember 2001-2002.

Except for the events of one fall day, November 15th. In 2001 I was just packing up the camping chair which I barrowed from the sporting goods at my local Wal-Mart. I had already sat in it for around 7 or so hours, unless I had to go to the bathroom or look at other Xbox games. I had already studied the controls, and descriptions of everything I could from the Halo instruction manual. Oh how the pain comes back to me when I was holding the gold Halo disc in my hands, glaring the reflection of the bright fluorescent lights off of the disc into my eye. No pain was like not having the Xbox to play it on. Knowing darn well I would be playing Halo for quite some time. In fact, Halo is the only game I still have today that I bought on November 14th. The corral of dedicated gamers went to the front of the store, eagerly awaiting the large brown boxes sophistically labeled, "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL NOVEMBER 15, 2001". There is no doubt anyone didn’t know what was contained in the brown boxes of joy. What looked like should fit 4 Xboxes in only actually carried 2, and the gasps of size grew when they were pulled out in their full glory. I was cashed out at 12:11 and you can bet I still have that receipt, and not for warranty purposes.

Of course, then there's today. One year from the most memorable day of my gaming life. Today we have seen the games. The Good and the painfully bad. Games like Halo are still noted today as reasons to purchase an Xbox. In fact, when one game comes to your head as a reason to purchase an Xbox, you will most likely recommend Halo, even though you may of not played it in awhile. Games like Kabuki Warriors, which prove that we can still have a good laugh.

1 year. Oh what we have gone through, as people. As Gamers. As Xboxaddicts. On this 1 year anniversary I would like to thank everyone for their support to all things Xbox, including XBA. By your simple recommendation to your friends you are insuring the Xbox will not die. Times still look hard, as the PS2 is exceeding the Xbox in sales. Even though this may be true, you don't care. You know what is the best, even though some people may only buy a system for one game. Well folks, now we have our GTA3, our Vice City, our Super Mario, our kick ass top selling trademark. We have Xbox Live.

Microsoft promised it. 1 year after the release, can you complain?

Maybe you wanted it on Nov 15, 2001. Once you opened the Xbox you wondered why they could invite in a capability to play with other gamers already built in, but the infrastructure to use it was not there. Well, just look at it this way...how is the PS2 online working? Where is the hard drive? How about downloading new rosters, levels, characters and other content? How about having voice communication across all online games? What else can do that, right out of the box? It’s about damn time you got some use out of that Ethernet connector on your Xbox. And here’s another thing that’s due. Due to you. The Last Laugh.

You can already be playing Mech Assault, Ghost Recon, NFL 2k3, NBA 2k3 and a handful of other games online right now. You will always have someone to play with. Someone with a real brain (hopefully). You will be able to have friends over whenever. There will always be real strategy in every game, because you may be able to anticipate a computers move, but not with someone across the country...or world.

Yes, we actually do have the last laugh. We will soon be enjoying these and other top quality online games to come such as Unreal Championship and Halo 2. We will be playing the newest, and most innovative games on the most advanced video gaming system ever created.

Be sure to laugh in a month when people get bored of Vice City, which I must say its the only thing sparking PS2 sales. Be sure to giggle when people get bored of Metroid Prime. Hey, you may be able to get a GameCube in platinum, but that doesn't make it better. If it were green, then maybe I would reconsider.

Once again, Happy One year Anniversary to everyone who day in and day out continues to support the Xbox and us here at the best Xbox related site around, XBA.

1 year. Look how far we have gotten, and look at what we have to look forward to.

Live it up...

GokuX
11-14-2002, 11:40 PM
I'll drink to that.......well Coca-Cola anyways.

Frostberg
11-14-2002, 11:42 PM
No Problem!
http://www.bensbargains.net/img/freecoke.gif

Woah I just realized that I posted that the same time I purchased my xbox...what a moment...

GokuX
11-14-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg-XBA
No Problem!
http://www.bensbargains.net/img/freecoke.gif

LOL! Thanks. Mods do have a purpose after all.

JeremyX
11-14-2002, 11:53 PM
I remember reading your post about how you were going to camp out for the Xbox over a year ago. Everyone here was new and full of excitement. Maximus only had about 300 post and everyone here got along real well.
I remember how everyone posted how we were going to get our Xbox and where we would buy it. Then on the 15th the boards went silent(for the most part)for about 3 days. We all had a lot to say when we came back, what we were playing, how many games we got, the number of people who waited in line with us. Those were good times.

I woke up at 2 in the morning on the 15th. The mall opened at 9 and I was first in a line of 50 to purchase an Xbox at my local GAMESTOP. I'll never forget how I actually got my dad and my mother both exicted enough about it to come camp out with me and my brother. We made it a family event if you will. I have a picture of us in the local paper camping out with other people outside of the mall. Yes the Xbox was worth it, and come friday I'll now be able to go online with all of you guys and show those newbies how the ORIGINAL XBA people do. (meaning those of us who've been here before the Xbox was even luanched!)

Great Gaming To ALL!!!!!!! :cool: :)

GokuX
11-14-2002, 11:55 PM
I remember how I got flamed the first time I posted here for posting about an Xbox problem...............ahhh the memories. Brings a tear to my eye...

JeremyX
11-14-2002, 11:58 PM
Yeah I remember when that happend. Some people here were just angry becuase they didn't have there Xbox yet. :p

J Dub
11-15-2002, 12:27 AM
Very, very, very well written Frostberg.

And what a year it has been for the Xbox. Things can only get better from here.

Here's to another great year Xbox! :)

Squidpie
11-15-2002, 12:38 AM
I camped out at Toys R Us the wee hours of the morning on Nov.15 last year... this girl came out around 7 am and passed out 10 of those papers to buy it.... thats all they had was 10... we were second in line thankfully... I had DOA3 that I had bought at Wal-mart the night before... and now this year... I seen Live at Target in the 13th and went ahead and got it... there was only one left.

rio2012
11-15-2002, 06:51 AM
Ohh, the sweet rememberance of playing Halo for the First time.
:D

symposiumx
11-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Very VERY well put, Frostberg!
Your post gave me chills of pride and great memories!

...such as finally getting my XBOX, stopping and buying a new TV just for my XBOX and running home to play HALO for the very first time. Damn, I was (and still am) such a geek!! I cranked up the sound on Halo, and bascially gave a BRAVEHEART yell the first time playing!

WOOOOO~HOOOOOOOO~IIIEEEEEE!!!!

Knox Vladislas
11-15-2002, 03:11 PM
Those Pos2 players are feeling the chills too. only because they know that the XBOX will never die!

Kooster
11-15-2002, 03:35 PM
yay....a year has gone by.....oh.....the memories........btw nice writing frostberg. u know what??....im not really excited at all. i have my beta kit, and i need to go get unreal championship, but i dont really feel like it. im happy i was finally unbanned! :p Thats about it.....but now that i think about it......i remember nov 15th of last year. it was much better that today is. i preordered an xbox in sept 2001, thought i wouldnt get one until december b/c i preorder too late. i got it on the 15th tho. pretty cool. i rembember bragging in the chat room to everyone. they all had one too tho, so no one really cared.

PapaSKooT
11-15-2002, 04:51 PM
::sniff:: that was beautiful...

HaloMasterVI
11-16-2002, 03:17 AM
I was working a late night job at launch, I paid my friend 5$ an hour to stand in line for 5 hours for me at Wal-Mart. I remember all I got that night was DOA3 and Oddworld, with Halo the next day. I'll never forget the first time I arrived on the planet ring...ahhh

squid413
11-16-2002, 11:30 AM
SNIFF that was beautiful frostberg Sniff :D

I remember when i got my xbox. it wasn't on the 15th though. I was home sick one day from school and went to go get a haircut and my haircut place is next to my target so then i begged my mom to take me to target so she did and then i was playing the xbox their and my mom said we had to go and they had xbox's so i kept on begging but didn't get one. then when my dad came home i asked him if i could get an xbox and he said like why do you need an xbox and started getting mad (fake but i didn't know at the time) and then he said go get my office bag from the car so i went and when i went there was a target bag with an xbox, dvd remote, extra controller, and nfl fever 2002 (which i had my dad take me straight back to target to get halo.) lol:D then i was playing and i had my friend come over and we played halo co op.

the first time i ever played halo though was before launch me, my sister, sisters friend, and my friend went to mall of america and me and my friend went around by ourselves playing xbox. lol so we went around playing and we saw halo and my friend was like i don't wanna play halo so we went around some more and then finally i said lets go play halo so we went back to gamestop and when the guy playing was done me and my friend stood there playing halo co op for 45 minutes straight in the mall and looked in awe at the graphics and how good the game was. :D thats a moment i'll never forget.

Frink
11-16-2002, 12:32 PM
I was unfortunate, for lack of funds I did not get the Xbox till the holiday season. Though I did go to every place that had an Xbox, and played as much as I could. I played Co-op halo with a friend of mine for like 2 hours in front of our local EB. Great stuff. Good thread Frostberg...

Casper
11-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Great thread Frosy :)

And I was unfortunate enough not to have the funds for the Xbox til Xmas season, when I bought it for myself...go figure. And have been hooked ever since.

My best memories of this year?

Getting picked in the first batch of Beta Testers for XBL
Finally beating Halo after a few months :(
And finding this site...which I am VERY thankful for :cool:

1 year anniversary = Xbox Live
2 year anniversary = what can they do to top this? :p

GokuX
11-17-2002, 04:41 AM
I remember the street fight afterwards to keep my Xbox from getting stolen. It even stopped a couple blows from hitting me. Thank you Xbox.

E Nomini Patri
11-17-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by GokuX
I remember the street fight afterwards to keep my Xbox from getting stolen. It even stopped a couple blows from hitting me. Thank you Xbox.

You serious? Jeez...

I didn't get my X-box till Christmas. You can read about the whole story in my first thread here @ XBA. It was the best night of my life. Playing good old GTA on my PC and waiting for Christmas Eve, then unwrapping that big, burly box. Ahhh...

Ahhh...the good old ignorant, yet wonderful days... (http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4350)

Rochey69r
11-18-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Frostberg-XBA
Yes...One year.

How the time does fly.

Maximus got a new job, Enron filed for bankruptcy, Johnny Unitas died and the Xbox got a new controller thanks to the Japanese.

Well, at least that’s how I will remember 2001-2002.

Except for the events of one fall day, November 15th. In 2001 I was just packing up the camping chair which I barrowed from the sporting goods at my local Wal-Mart. I had already sat in it for around 7 or so hours, unless I had to go to the bathroom or look at other Xbox games. I had already studied the controls, and descriptions of everything I could from the Halo instruction manual. Oh how the pain comes back to me when I was holding the gold Halo disc in my hands, glaring the reflection of the bright fluorescent lights off of the disc into my eye. No pain was like not having the Xbox to play it on. Knowing darn well I would be playing Halo for quite some time. In fact, Halo is the only game I still have today that I bought on November 14th. The corral of dedicated gamers went to the front of the store, eagerly awaiting the large brown boxes sophistically labeled, "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL NOVEMBER 15, 2001". There is no doubt anyone didn’t know what was contained in the brown boxes of joy. What looked like should fit 4 Xboxes in only actually carried 2, and the gasps of size grew when they were pulled out in their full glory. I was cashed out at 12:11 and you can bet I still have that receipt, and not for warranty purposes.

Of course, then there's today. One year from the most memorable day of my gaming life. Today we have seen the games. The Good and the painfully bad. Games like Halo are still noted today as reasons to purchase an Xbox. In fact, when one game comes to your head as a reason to purchase an Xbox, you will most likely recommend Halo, even though you may of not played it in awhile. Games like Kabuki Warriors, which prove that we can still have a good laugh.

1 year. Oh what we have gone through, as people. As Gamers. As Xboxaddicts. On this 1 year anniversary I would like to thank everyone for their support to all things Xbox, including XBA. By your simple recommendation to your friends you are insuring the Xbox will not die. Times still look hard, as the PS2 is exceeding the Xbox in sales. Even though this may be true, you don't care. You know what is the best, even though some people may only buy a system for one game. Well folks, now we have our GTA3, our Vice City, our Super Mario, our kick ass top selling trademark. We have Xbox Live.

Microsoft promised it. 1 year after the release, can you complain?

Maybe you wanted it on Nov 15, 2001. Once you opened the Xbox you wondered why they could invite in a capability to play with other gamers already built in, but the infrastructure to use it was not there. Well, just look at it this way...how is the PS2 online working? Where is the hard drive? How about downloading new rosters, levels, characters and other content? How about having voice communication across all online games? What else can do that, right out of the box? It’s about damn time you got some use out of that Ethernet connector on your Xbox. And here’s another thing that’s due. Due to you. The Last Laugh.

You can already be playing Mech Assault, Ghost Recon, NFL 2k3, NBA 2k3 and a handful of other games online right now. You will always have someone to play with. Someone with a real brain (hopefully). You will be able to have friends over whenever. There will always be real strategy in every game, because you may be able to anticipate a computers move, but not with someone across the country...or world.

Yes, we actually do have the last laugh. We will soon be enjoying these and other top quality online games to come such as Unreal Championship and Halo 2. We will be playing the newest, and most innovative games on the most advanced video gaming system ever created.

Be sure to laugh in a month when people get bored of Vice City, which I must say its the only thing sparking PS2 sales. Be sure to giggle when people get bored of Metroid Prime. Hey, you may be able to get a GameCube in platinum, but that doesn't make it better. If it were green, then maybe I would reconsider.

Once again, Happy One year Anniversary to everyone who day in and day out continues to support the Xbox and us here at the best Xbox related site around, XBA.

1 year. Look how far we have gotten, and look at what we have to look forward to.

Live it up...

cheers frosty :cool:

Rochey69r
11-18-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by squid413

I remember when i got my xbox. it wasn't on the 15th though. I was home sick one day from school and went to go get a haircut and my haircut place is next to my target so then i begged my mom to take me to target so she did and then i was playing the xbox their and my mom said we had to go and they had xbox's so i kept on begging but didn't get one. then when my dad came home i asked him if i could get an xbox and he said like why do you need an xbox and started getting mad (fake but i didn't know at the time) and then he said go get my office bag from the car so i went and when i went there was a target bag with an xbox, dvd remote, extra controller, and nfl fever 2002 (which i had my dad take me straight back to target to get halo.) lol:D then i was playing and i had my friend come over and we played halo co op.

the first time i ever played halo though was before launch me, my sister, sisters friend, and my friend went to mall of america and me and my friend went around by ourselves playing xbox. lol so we went around playing and we saw halo and my friend was like i don't wanna play halo so we went around some more and then finally i said lets go play halo so we went back to gamestop and when the guy playing was done me and my friend stood there playing halo co op for 45 minutes straight in the mall and looked in awe at the graphics and how good the game was. :D thats a moment i'll never forget.

your dad sounds so cool man.

thats the nicest thing ive heard all day.

:)

salmiak
11-19-2002, 03:55 PM
yeah, everyone has such good stories how they got their xbox.....mine is crap compared. i'd been playing it in the stores and thought it was sweet as, so i decided to go hire one from the vid shop but as it turned out they were all hired out, so i tried every last bloody store in adelaide and they had all been hired out, so i thought feck this and went and bought one and i havent regretted it once. got the halo pack with the dvd remote and now have project gotham, fifa 2003, fusion frenzy (got it for free)........just wish the games werent 100 bucks...&%$#&$%&$&%

CALzinger
11-19-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by squid413

dude, omg
**SNIFFS**
dude, omfg
**SNIFFS ONCE AGAIN**
you have such a nice dad man. dont take things like that for granted.

btw, are u rich? lol

squid413
11-19-2002, 09:41 PM
lol ya my dad is nice. i don't know what you consider rich though? so i can't really answer that lol:D i still don't know if my mom called my dad or if my dad just went and bought it. but i was so happy.

CALzinger
11-20-2002, 07:15 AM
glad to hear it man

Mega Gamer
11-21-2002, 08:32 PM
I remember when i got my Xbox. It was a week before Xmas. My brother and i wanted to get and XBox for Christmas, and my friend wanted a POS 2 for Christmas. We told him about a deal, that if we got an Xbox for christmas, then we could sell him the POS 2 with all the games for 500 bucks. He told his dad about it and, the next thing ya know, his dad called us about it. Well we couldn`t really sell our POS 2 if we didn`t have an Xbox , so it was bad new for his dad. Our dad over heard this, and went into his closet and pulled a big box, layed it down in front of me, and said, "Son i got you and Xbox for christmas, along with halo (pulling halo out from the closet) so why dont you sell your PS 2. GREATEST LINE EVER! I wil never forget that. (SNIFF) Well when christmas rolled around, and as soon as we opened it up! Dead silence. We staired at it, taking in the the smell of the newly make machine. We plugged it in and hit the big silver botton.(SNIFF) The smooth sounding tray opened for the first time ever. (SNIFF) We went into memory and settings, setting up everything just right. Then we put in halo for the first time, and played Co-op. (SNIFF) Man that was the best chrstmas i ever had.

Thank for the stories.

Great thread Frostberg

bray
11-22-2002, 11:34 PM
yeah i remember getting my x-box on day 1 . i remember how the damn thing didnt work and i couldnt exchange it because the frikkin the store i got it at was sold out. then when they did get their new shipment in they said my receipt was 11 days old and they didnt exchange consoles after 7 days(this is funco im talking about) and microsoft was being total a-holes about getting the damn thing fixed and then finally i called the regional manager of funcoland and gave him a piece of my mind and he was really cool and i got an x-box the next day and have played it everyday since then. memories cloud the corners of my mind...

jman1
11-26-2002, 08:19 PM
hey man i totaly agree with you we should all laugh at those fools but sadly to say i have been sucked in i too have not only an xbox but a ps2 and a gamecube so i apoligize to u but i fully support xbox and microsoft i loved halo i will never trade it sell it or throw it away it is a holy relic to us xbox addicts and we should all thank the people who gave us this website to celebrate the xbox the only reason i got the other consoles was because i found out that halo2 wasn't coming for a year but now that i have xbox live i feel like a fool now unreal championship will be awesome the only thing i disagree with you about is that you shouldn't go to walmart rather you should go to ebx:D

jman1
11-26-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Frink-XBA
I was unfortunate, for lack of funds I did not get the Xbox till the holiday season. Though I did go to every place that had an Xbox, and played as much as I could. I played Co-op halo with a friend of mine for like 2 hours in front of our local EB. Great stuff. Good thread Frostberg... so you like zim your smart:p

Alien
11-26-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Motoko
I felt the need to come out of my retirement from XBA for this one thread to thank all of you for the memories. Over the past year this site and all of its members have filled that empty void in my life. Who can forget the sig war between FXB, Smilebit, and cityson...The list can go on and on. Thanks for the laughs and memories.

Later.

«Motoko» Yeah. Later.

SPARTAN VI
11-26-2002, 11:51 PM
WOW. You guys had to camp out? D@MN, all I had to do was wait through all my classes that day, staring at my binder that had the free OXM minimagazine that EB was giving out. MC wass on the cover, and a bunch of screen shots (with the flamethrower too). When I got home, I just walked right into EB and grabbed my preordered XBOX, got home, played Halo with my sister (yes, she PLAYED XBOX) until 11 o'clock, then I went to bed. Of course I couldn't sleep... especially when I ran into to flood and they infested Captian Keyes, I just stayed up all night thinkin, "How cool...how freagin cool...Halo is SO freagin cool....."

Koopa
11-27-2002, 10:47 PM
ah a year ago....i was playing luigis mansion, rogue leader, and smash bros:D

well, ive traded in luigis mansion, havent played my cube for a few weeks ( i played smash with my brother a bit ago) and dont plan on touching it till i get metroid prime

E-Vader
11-28-2002, 06:26 AM
Hehehe Xbox hasent even been out for one year in Aust yet:D

(This may have been posted but I couldent be bothered reading all the posts)

and Whoa this would be my first post over here in awhile:)

Whisper
11-28-2002, 07:29 PM
too much reading to do, but ill drink to it anyway

LINKINPARK8591
11-29-2002, 03:23 AM
well i do agree that no matter how other systems try to out do this system. the will not be able to ;) ;) :eek: :D :) :)

dances with broom sticks
11-30-2002, 09:20 AM
ohhh boy do i remember u way back then HAHAHA sooooo many flames

Yannie Boy
11-30-2002, 03:49 PM
this makes chupacabra happy......happy that he didn't go kill that cow on the 15th last year to go an xbox.

xboxaddicted
12-02-2002, 08:57 AM
I remember that moment of getting halo with my friend we went home opened up and played the game and when we saw the movies and being of the autum oh the memories eh:D

JimmieDoogan
12-03-2002, 03:54 PM
Ahh... it was a cold Febuary day. I had just gotten my FA check and about 500$ to burn. I picked up my Xbox, but low and behold, not a copy of Halo in the house. There wasn't anything even remotely interesting so I picked up Amped for 29.99. I enjoyed the game for a few hours, but I began to itch.*flashback to launch* You must understand that I was under the assumption that Halo would be crap. I'd seen the footage, screens and read the previews, but to no avail I avoided it. Until my buddy got his launch Xbox with Halo and DOA3, I wasn't even going to bother with Xbox, but after FORCING my buddy to let me borrow his Xbox with Halo for a weekend (I literally had to kick his arse to get it from him ;) ) I was hooked. I sat in one spot for 25 hours and played Halo til I beat it. Oddly enough I STILL WANTED MORE. *end flashback* So after only 3 hours of Amped, I began calling around town to find me a copy of Halo. The next day, I'd found I was much lower on funds than I'd hoped to be (party time when jimmie has money) so with my last 150 I scoured the state, and finally found a copy of Halo in a poe dunk mom and pop op down on the other side of Colorado (well, Thorton, but it's not exactly accross the street). Finally I had my copy of Halo, and even though I'd beat it already, I was going to go through it in full. To this day, that same buddy who lent me his Xbox, has yet to finish Halo (let alone any other hundreds of game's he's bought in the last 2 years). The only thing I crave and long for when it comes to Xbox at this point is Halo Online. I know it's coming with Halo 2, but it would be nice to get a booster disc eh ;). Time to relive some Golden Hours and pop in some Halo. Sigh... how time flys when your enjoying technology.

GreenFireX
12-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
To this day, that same buddy who lent me his Xbox, has yet to finish Halo (let alone any other hundreds of game's he's bought in the last 2 years)

how can you not beat halo. i was so hooked on taht game from the moment i put it in my xbox that i had to force myself to try out the other games i got. there was nothing special about me getting my xbox. i preordered it at ebgames.com and it came it the mail. i was lucky enough to be on thanksgiving break and was there when it arrived and played for 2 days nonstop. but it was magical when i first put in halo and was in awe watching the autum being attacked.