PDA

View Full Version : Kakuto Chojin - my review

skysaw
11-15-2002, 10:08 AM
Was looking forward to this title for six months. Bought it yesterday, and played it with my girlfriend for a couple of hours last night. Returned it today. Here's why.

1. We hated the characters. There's only two or three that have any visual appeal at all to me. I like the idea of a dark feeling to the graphics, but I just didn't like the character design. Why do they all need to look like super-villians taken from an old Batman comic?

2. The scenes have no variety. They are all fairly small arenas, and have generally the same look to them. There were no differences in play, either (compare to DOA3 where strategy changes per scene).

3. VS mode not well thought-out. After every match, you have to reselect a character, costume, fighting style, and location -- you can't just say "play again." It also does not keep track of wins/losses. We kept just choosing the first arena since it was half a second quicker, and they all looked about the same. There is no location randomizer.

4. Very limited number of accessible moves, and few were very interesting. I don't feel like I need spectacular flying through the air on fire, twirling, magic attacks, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few more interesting moves now and then. We were never able to perform more than one throw per character, and there were no counter-attacks, except for a throw counter which just looked like a regular attack.

5. I played through story mode with one character to unlock the "Chojin" fighting style. I could not tell the difference between the two styles.

I feel pretty dissappointed. I was really excited to finally play this game, but it just didn't deliver. Yes, the graphics are very good, but they are in no way appealing in a "gee, this is fun to play/watch" sense. The only thing I really liked about them was the reflections on the floor -- quite nice in fact. The colored lighting was cool, but it seemed a bit arbitrary. It was there to some degree in every arena, and seemed to shift around for no reason.

I do intend to try out all the upcoming fighters. But so far, nothing is touching DOA3. I'm guessing my girlfriend and I have beaten each other to a pulp several thousand times, and we're still not bored of it. We're still discovering new strategies, and laughing our asses off at the little surprises that sometimes come up in game.

RudedogX
11-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Good review. Thanks for the heads up!:)

You just confirmed all of the reviews from the other sites, and since you're on this site, I'm definetly more apt to believe someone who's not paid to be a critic.

mmattai
11-15-2002, 02:10 PM
I could have told you KC would suck :) I've seen videos of the gameplay and it just looked so bad. Character models would look sweet and tempt me to check it out, then I would see it in action and remember why I hated it. My friends and I still have DOA3 tournaments for hours. I don't expect a good fighter until Soul Calibur 2 comes out. Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance looks horrible. Jury is still out on Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus until I see more videos. And I'm still waiting for confirmation news about Virtua Fighter 4.

skysaw
11-15-2002, 02:50 PM
I had heard it would suck, but wanted to try it to make sure. I've disagreed with the masses on more than one occasion, after all. Anyway, I guess I was in denial, since I really wanted it to be good.

I'm going to give MK and Tao Feng both a chance too, since I can always return 'em. I don't necessarily need any of them to be better than DOA3, but in the same ballpark would keep it in my collection.

Another year till DOA4. *sigh*