PDA

View Full Version : -$177 million worth it?

CrazyCougar
11-15-2002, 07:45 PM
Well they've lost 177 million so far. Will XBL pay off? I'm a little skeptical about the whole thing. But I think they will have a wide enough variety of games to attract all kinds of gamers. That is what should keep XBL alive. If not it's going to be a worse fate than dreamcast for the xbox. i hope it doesnt come to that, but I can see it happening. Thats the unfortunate part.

Frostberg
11-15-2002, 07:52 PM
Take it easy...its not like they expected to make money...building a brand isn't easy...

Actually, I would say they did quite good...and considering they spend 500 million on marketing for launch alone, 177 million is nothing to lose...

CrazyCougar
11-15-2002, 07:53 PM
Fingers are crossed, I really love my xbox and dont want to see it die. =)

Mega Gamer
11-15-2002, 09:32 PM
I here they might spend 30 million in the up coming year. Is that right?

Still bill gates can give up some money for xbox.:)

clutch
11-16-2002, 08:50 AM
The XBOX aint going no where. I dont think Bill Gates would have put 2 billion dollars on something he doesnt have faith in.

Zion
11-16-2002, 10:00 AM
The $177 million they lost is chump change compared to the 3 BILLION they MADE.

Toonz
11-16-2002, 11:09 AM
Thats a small price to pay to get your foot in the door for one of the largest growing markets in the world. Thats what Microsoft did this round.............got there foot in the door. Now they are a reconized console name. Do you think they would buy companies like RARE and set up a Massive Online Server system if they were not in it for the long haul.

HckyBtch
11-16-2002, 04:22 PM
If you read the press release then you should of read thet they lost 177million on the home entertainmen section that includes xbox. so that means they didnt loose 177 million only on xbox.

ARONO129
11-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Toonz
Thats a small price to pay to get your foot in the door for one of the largest growing markets in the world. Thats what Microsoft did this round.............got there foot in the door. Now they are a reconized console name. Do you think they would buy companies like RARE and set up a Massive Online Server system if they were not in it for the long haul.

I think you're right on the money. Before MS bought Rare I wondered if they would stay in the console market. By purchasing Rare MS proved the Xbox is here to stay. Also just look at all the great games coming out this month alone. There has never been so many great games all in one month.