PDA

View Full Version : Rca "xbox" Tv.........

Highlite23
11-20-2002, 05:52 PM
I just had a birthday and told my wife i wanted a new tv for the basement, we had a fading tube, banged up, left over from way back when. I play my XBOX on our big screen, but usually have to wait till later when everyones in bed, so i figured it would be nice to be able toplay whenever and still go to the big screen when i wanted to, so i left the connections on the 50" and we went out for a new TV.

I really wanted a flat screen but they are a little pricy, and again, i mostlly play on the big screen. So there it was, the XBOX compatible RCA, we were looking for a 27" and they had one, looked nice, the picture and features were adiquate, so i figured what the hell, let's give it a shot, and bouth the V-Port conection for the XBOX.

I am happy to report that for $250 i am happily surprised with this set. Super crisp picture, great remote that you can program all you AV stuff to, HDTV ready, S-Video and Component, and the XBOX looks great on it. Great color, shadows, etc...

Now i know there are much better TV's out there, but for the price i think it's a great buy.

Just thought some of you may have wanted to know.;)

pieceofmind83
11-20-2002, 05:57 PM
cool,for 250 maybe i'll go and buy one!
does it come any bigger or is 27' it?

VeNoMiZA
11-20-2002, 05:58 PM
HDTV????? for 250? OMG can u plz tell me where i can find this tv???? hahahah im going crazy hahahahahahahahahahahahha:eek:

cR|Ms0n-M|s7
11-20-2002, 06:44 PM
My mom bought one of these T.V.s for her bedroom, but I have not tried it yet because I don't have the money to buy the VPORT. I will probally get it now since you said how great the picture is. By the way this T.V. has componet video too for your other game systems. It is a really great T.V. for the price. I wish my dad would let me play XBOX on his 60 inch HDTV projection T.V. , he still thinks the XBOX will cause burn in though
:(

Discretion
11-20-2002, 07:38 PM
Nice man. You wanted a flat screen? Too bad you don't have one bro! Personally, I will take a Sony TV over ANY TV BRAND. That is why I play on a 27' Sony Flat Screen Trinitron Wega

I got my XBOX In Component Video and my Gamecube in S-Video... I paid 550$ for this. It better have better picture than yours... LOL for the $ i paid. I bet it has a slight advantage but nothin big. HEHE

wweomaniac
11-20-2002, 07:58 PM
Yep... Sony and JVC over any other brand. I'm sorry, but all the other tvs are just plastic.

LynxFX
11-20-2002, 08:27 PM
Glad you like your new tv man. Definately a great price you got there. Just so no one gets confused though, it isn't HDTV ready or capable of any HD resolutions or 480p for that matter. If it was, Holy Moly I would pick one up for every room. :D

Reclaimer
11-20-2002, 08:40 PM
I have the 36 in model from RCA and I love it. I'd recommend it to anyone. I was watching the news here in Houston and there was a segment about large screen TV's. This consumer group (I forgot who) rated the RCA Xbox 36 in, the best 36 inch TV you can get for the money. I paid 749 for mine at Best Buy. It was based on performance, and quality. The funny thing is that a Xbox Advanced Hi-Def Component video kit is much cheaper than the Vport cable and it does the same thing. So I forewent the Vport and stuck with the Component set up. There is a matching RCA Suround Sound Kit that matches the TV, it comes with the reciever and all the speakers. I think it's 300 watts. Sure that's not as high as a Bose system, but, I live in an apartment and I field tested the unit at Target and it gets plenty loud. At $199 I guess I can't go wrong. After that, I'll go to Ikea and pick up some stands for the speakers.

LynxFX
11-20-2002, 08:52 PM
Reclaimer,

That $199 RCA surround system is probably just as good as a $1500 Bose surround system. You made the right choice, even if it was the budget that forced it. :D

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

Bose: Better sound through advertising

No Highs, No Lows, Buy Bose

The list goes on. ;)

Reclaimer
11-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Reclaimer,

That $199 RCA surround system is probably just as good as a $1500 Bose surround system. You made the right choice, even if it was the budget that forced it. :D

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

Bose: Better sound through advertising

No Highs, No Lows, Buy Bose

The list goes on. ;)

I'm actually glad you agree with me on this, because as sweet as deal is to me, this is my first foray into the suround sound world and I was a little apprehensive. But let me ask you this. The receiver has S-Vid connections. I don't want to give up my component connection, I was wondering, my Hi-def kit as optical outputs and the reciever supports optical, so what if I connect the Xbox to the reciever using the optical cable (12 dollars for he cables at Target) and run a S-Vid to the reciever from the TV for surround sound during normal TV viewing. Am I insane?

LynxFX
11-21-2002, 12:51 AM
No, not insane. :) That should work fine. It won't be true surround since your tv just outputs stereo but the receiver should be able to decode that into pro logic and get you some surround action.

BTW, I got that same $12 optical cable from Target by the way...actually 3 of them. :)

Reclaimer
11-21-2002, 01:37 AM
Sounds like a plan, thanks for the help Lynxfx :)

Variation-XBA
11-21-2002, 01:40 AM
I just got a Sony 27" Trinitron almost flat for my mom for xmas , but Ive been using it to play on...Measly $500 after tax with staff discount Canadian :) Very nice.....but nothing like the HDTV/Plasmas we got ;(

MerimacHamwich
11-21-2002, 12:59 PM
Sony Tv? ... Subpar. I say Panasonic is one of the best. Definetly better than Sony. They overcharge for thier subpar products. Overhyped, just like the PS2. My 27" Sears brand TV looks better than pretty much every Sony TV I have ever seen. Minus the plasma and other HDTV ones.

LynxFX
11-21-2002, 01:10 PM
I agree, Panasonic has really started to make some great stuff lately. I particularly like their 36" directview HDTV's over Sony's Wega's. Only problem they have is that their 4x3 rear projection HDTV's don't do anamorphic squeeze for 480p images more importantly 98% of dvd's. I think they fixed that with the new models but not sure. This is/was a big problem.

I like their chasis designs more than most other companies as well, with the exception of Pioneer Elite series. Those just look sharp. :)

Sony does make some very nice tv's as well and I must give credit where due.

MerimacHamwich
11-21-2002, 01:13 PM
Indeed! Yeah, you kind of need animorphic these days. In my opinion everything should be widescreen, it just doesn't make sense to look at a box shaped image. It is not how we see things in real life, so why should we see images on our tvs like that? I guess it is still just a matter of price more than anything.

LynxFX
11-21-2002, 01:16 PM
I think price is definately the main factor.

Using panasonic as an example again:

Their 4x3 and 16x9 RPTV's use the exact same gun. The only difference is that the 16x9 is locked into that aspect ratio even though it came right out of the 4x3 tv. So 4x3 must be cheaper to make.

Now what I would like to see are tv's that are 2.35:1 ratio. :D

MerimacHamwich
11-21-2002, 01:22 PM
Don't they already have that? I could swear I saw one in a flyer the other day.

LynxFX
11-21-2002, 01:50 PM
What? A 2.35:1 ratio tv? I don't think any of the sorts exists...yet. :D I do know of people that setup their front projection systems that way. Have a constant height and a max width of 2.35. Then they just mask the sides for content that is 1.85:1(16x9) or 4x3.

This is an idea of what a 2.35:1 tv could look like. :D
http://brenton.homestead.com/files/wiiiidescreen.gif

MerimacHamwich
11-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Hmm, well I shall investigate this further. Becuase isn't that the closest you can get to what the human eye ratio is? That indeed would be sweet. Now I could swear I saw a tv with that ratio. However it may have just been a ratio on a dvd. I will check again.

MerimacHamwich
11-21-2002, 02:20 PM
After looking around I never found any with that aspect ratio. Huh, wonder where I saw it.

LynxFX
11-21-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm guessing that what you saw was just a dvd at that ratio which a great deal are. For a tv to be 2.35:1 they would have to break all of the standards already put in place for HDTV and that isn't going to happen soon. 16x9 was a compromise between 2.35:1 and 1.33:1 anyway so it will probably stick for another 25 years.

Oh well, one can still dream. :D

MerimacHamwich
11-21-2002, 03:39 PM
And dream I will.

cR|Ms0n-M|s7
11-21-2002, 06:15 PM
I just ordered the VPORT for the TV. It really is a great TV for the price. I have my DVD player hooked to component or I would get component for XBOX. Those speakers sound nice too.
Later

Cesar902
11-21-2002, 10:35 PM
I go to best buy and Circuit city and compare the HDTV from Zenith and Zenith look way better than Sony. Zenith is really great tv brand now.:p

Reclaimer
11-21-2002, 11:01 PM
I'm back, you know, the funny thing is that my RCA Xbox TV's universal remote controls the XBox DVD kit without having to "teach" it a certain code. Right out of the box. Plug the IR sensor into the Xbox and throw away the Xbox remote and use the TV's.

LynxFX
11-21-2002, 11:03 PM
I didn't know that. That's actually pretty cool. Really keeps with the "designed for Xbox" theme.

Reclaimer
11-21-2002, 11:19 PM
Yeah, it's cool. I'm telling you, for the money, that TV will not disapoint. Sure I'd love to go jumbotron HD size, but this is good. My cousin has a Sony wide screen 50 something inch TV and a PS2. I'm not sure if it was the graphics or the TV but SOCOM looked like garbage on that TV. Huge and blocky. Matter of fact several games we played looked like crap on that TV. Blue skies where greenish in color and everything was so blocky. One day, I'm goig to take my box over there and see what the deal is. By the way, Lynxfx-XBA congrats on the XBA upgrade.

LynxFX
11-21-2002, 11:35 PM
That's strange while SOCOM looked bad on the widescreen since it is one of the few PS2 titles that actually does support 480p and widescreen. It does sound like it isn't calibrated at all though which probably would hurt the picture. Probably has sharpness way up too.

Anyway the Xbox looks great when coupled with a digital tv.

Thanks for the congrats. :)

Highlite23
11-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Reclaimer
I'm back, you know, the funny thing is that my RCA Xbox TV's universal remote controls the XBox DVD kit without having to "teach" it a certain code. Right out of the box. Plug the IR sensor into the Xbox and throw away the Xbox remote and use the TV's.

Woah,woah,woah......You didn't have to program the XBOX into the vport button on the controller?? Mine isn't working right out of the box......LOL

Seriouslly, it didn't even dawn on me to use the TV remote for the XBOX, even if you need to program it.

Good Info;)

Frink
11-22-2002, 04:08 PM
I read somewhere that some RCA remotes are able to be used with the Xbox's DVD player, but ifgured it was just a rumor.

So, where did everyone pick up this TV? I've seen it online, but the shipping was horrendous, just curious where you purchased it or have seen it available.

Reclaimer
11-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Frink-XBA
I read somewhere that some RCA remotes are able to be used with the Xbox's DVD player, but ifgured it was just a rumor.

So, where did everyone pick up this TV? I've seen it online, but the shipping was horrendous, just curious where you purchased it or have seen it available.

Best Buy. But I had to have it delivered because I don't own a pick up or know anyone who does. It takes three days to have it delivered after a purchase. The box is huge. It wouldn't fit in either car I own. Be forwarned, you will not find a pedestal for this TV just about anywhere. THe TV is 40 inches wide because the speakers are side mounted. It also weighs in at 190 pounds. That's alot, but not as much as a sony flat screen, those tip the scale at over 200. I found a ton of pedestals, but none that could support a 190 pound tv. Most full size entertainment centers wouldn't fit a 40 inch wide TV either. At the time of purchase, Best Buy didn't carry the pedestal base that the RCA site has. Maybe they do know. Anyway, I found my pedestal base at Sears. The TV just barely fits on it. It over hangs my a centimeter on each side! But the more important fact is that it can hold the TV's weight.

FuNkY mOnK
11-23-2002, 09:12 AM
If anyone is intrested here's a link :)

Click it. (http://www.rca.com/product/viewmodellist/browseproduct/0,2589,CI700226,00.html?)

clutch
11-23-2002, 01:23 PM
I just picked up the 27 Truflat tv today, I havent set it up yet so I ll let u guys know whats up when its ready to go. I havent been able to find the vport cable anywhere though.

The.Prophet
11-23-2002, 04:34 PM
Yeah, i know which TV your talking about. I was checking it out and contiplating on whether to buy it or now. It was $300 at my local Best Buy.