PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2K3 is 2KCRAP



Woocifer
11-21-2002, 02:57 PM
I can't believe how old and fuzzy the graphics look in this game... I can't believe how dull the presentation is... I can't believe how small the characters are to the ice... I can't believe how dead the physics feel...

I can't believe this is a SEGA product.

All of the other 2k3 sports games they have released have been great for presentation, control and graphics. They totally missed with this hockey game... its absolute trash. I've never been so bored playing a hockey game.

It has some redeeming qualities, but its like a piece of gold... you have to sift through miles and miles of mud before you can find the shining nugget that may bring this title out of the toilet.

I personally did not like 2003 from EA... I was hoping this game would be the alternative, now I know there are no good hockey games for any system now... yes I'm bitter and yes this is very negative... but I am totally not impressed whatsoever with this attempt.

It is funny that the things everyone pointed out as bad qualities aren't all the things I am upset with... and the good things are just too few and far between. Although it is on ice the physics on how the men slide are off... you can't slide sideways while on ice(in skates) without shaving or stuttering...

I'm sure it might be fun in multiplayer, but not for the sense that you're playing hockey... rather just the idea of competing. I'm trading it back for Jedi Knight... this is depressing hahaha :)

DZNUTZ
11-21-2002, 03:22 PM
hmmm 8.8 from gamespot...the xbox haters
and 9.4 average from user reviews.
don't think i'll cancel my pre-order.

DZNUTZ
11-21-2002, 03:22 PM
NHL 2K3 may be a bit late to the party, but don't hold that against it. Sega has done an excellent job with adding new features and polishing existing ones to make it worth the wait. Now that the series has moved on to all platforms, no one will have an excuse not to play what has become the best hockey game this year.

The new additions, excellent gameplay, and Xbox Live support make this the best hockey game of the year.

The most notable addition in NHL 2K3 is the franchise mode. This is where you are given the opportunity to take on a managerial role of a team. After completing a regular season, you'll have to adjust your roster by retiring old players, recruiting rookies in the draft, and signing/releasing free agents before starting a new season. It's a mode well-suited for those looking for deeper gameplay because eventually you won't recognize half a team's players (because the draft recruits fictional players), forcing you to research their abilities to create an even match-up on your own lines. You don't even have to play the games; you can simulate every season to see how your decisions rate against the computer's decisions.

There are several other gameplay modes as well. You can play an exhibition game, playoff series, a single season, and a tournament mode. You can choose any of the NHL's teams plus a handful of world teams to take into a game. When you complete a game or season, you'll be presented with great game statistics. You can even see where you took all your shots in a game to see where a goalie's weak spot may lie. There is also the new Sega Sports Challenge feature where you can play a game and post your stats online to see how you fare against other people in a bunch of different categories such as goals and penalties-in-minutes. The interface features the ESPN logos, and games are presented as they would be on National Hockey Night on the ESPN channel. This is all aesthetic of course, but it's still a nice touch to immerse yourself in the game.

The actual game itself is going to be as easy or as difficult as you choose. There's a huge list of options you can change before hitting the ice. You have five difficulty settings that are tiered nicely. The rookie setting lets a newcomer still score goals while getting adjusted to the game, while the pro levels and above require advanced controls and setups to get the puck in the net. You can also change whether your shots are auto-aimed and whether you control your goalie or not. You can even adjust hitting power, fatigue effects, and ice friction.

The gameplay is where NHL 2K3 stands out amongst its competitors. The AI seems fully aware of what is occurring in the rink. And even though you'll be able to easily setup shots because of this, the goalie is adept at stealing away most of your well-executed plays. It builds up such an excitement that when you do finally score, you'll cheer and taunt your friend/TV. Another great aspect of the gameplay is that players actually attempt to get loose pucks. This is a problem that plagues most NHL games, and it's great to see that AI players care to sweep it up, or even grab one in midair and drop it to the ice. There is one noticeable AI flaw in the game. If you skate behind the opponent's goal with the puck, mire often than not the defenders will get caught in the goal posts/ You can just sit behind the net the whole entire game like this. It's more of a cheat to win the game while you're ahead, or to get rid of a shorthanded situation.

Hockey rules are also done well in the game. Unlike in NHL 2003 where you'd have problems with your team going off-sides, the AI in NHL 2K3 rarely do this unless you force it to. Also, you'll find that penalties are strictly enforced if you have this setting set to maximum and if you play aggressively. You'll find that it's a toss-up between choosing to check everyone you see and risking calls, or playing defensively and risking more scoring attempts against you. The referee can get in the puck and player's way, and you can even check the goalie, resulting in charging calls.

Gameplay is also dependent on what control setting you use. The basic control scheme lets a player learn the basics of the game like passing, shooting, and body checking. Eventually you'll find this to be limiting as you get the hang of the game, especially on the harder difficulties when the computer uses advanced controls against you such as pinning. The advanced controls let you pin a player against the boards, poke check, hook, and perform other maneuvers. Fights are somewhat better than competing hockey games, but they are still hokey and are still just a minor distraction from the gameplay.

There are many different attack and defense strategies you can use on the ice. It's easy to switch between these strategies using the digital pad and trigger buttons. You can also change lines on the ice without having to pause the game using the digital pad as well. Both of these allow you to continue the game without having to interrupt the flow. The manual also does an excellent job of explaining the rules of hockey as well as how to play.

The only areas where NHL 2003 beats out NHL 2K3 hands down are the graphics and sound. The models and ice just don't look as good as they do in NHL 2003. The animations are also lacking in NHL 2K3, especially in cutscenes. At least there is a good selection of camera angles. The sound is also rather dull compared to EA Sports' game. Pucks hitting the crossbar don't have that intense pinging sound, and hits don't make you cringe. But overall the sound is acceptable and certainly not poor. Commentary is actually pretty good, and won't get very repetitive over time.


The gameplay is where NHL 2K3 stands out amongst its competitors.

The biggest difference between the PS2 version and the Xbox version is the Xbox game's inclusion of online multiplayer support. You can of course play with up to four people on a single console to challenge your friends. But you can also log into Xbox Live and play against countless other people online. It keeps track of your overall win-loss record and disconnects, and it shows your record against specific players. Additionally, if you have a good connection to the Internet, you won't find lag to be a problem playing the game.

Fans who have been complaining about hockey games being too arcadelike can now rejoice. There is absolutely no reason why a hockey fan with an Xbox should skip this title. The new additions, excellent gameplay, and Xbox Live support make this the best hockey game of the year.

aircobra
11-21-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Woocifer
I can't believe how old and fuzzy the graphics look in this game... I can't believe how dull the presentation is... I can't believe how small the characters are to the ice... I can't believe how dead the physics feel...

I can't believe this is a SEGA product.

All of the other 2k3 sports games they have released have been great for presentation, control and graphics. They totally missed with this hockey game... its absolute trash. I've never been so bored playing a hockey game.

It has some redeeming qualities, but its like a piece of gold... you have to sift through miles and miles of mud before you can find the shining nugget that may bring this title out of the toilet.

I personally did not like 2003 from EA... I was hoping this game would be the alternative, now I know there are no good hockey games for any system now... yes I'm bitter and yes this is very negative... but I am totally not impressed whatsoever with this attempt.

It is funny that the things everyone pointed out as bad qualities aren't all the things I am upset with... and the good things are just too few and far between. Although it is on ice the physics on how the men slide are off... you can't slide sideways while on ice(in skates) without shaving or stuttering...

I'm sure it might be fun in multiplayer, but not for the sense that you're playing hockey... rather just the idea of competing. I'm trading it back for Jedi Knight... this is depressing hahaha :)


NHL 2k3 is much better than Jedi Knight.

Dark Enemy
11-21-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
hmmm 8.8 from gamespot...the xbox haters
and 9.4 average from user reviews.
don't think i'll cancel my pre-order.


Same here

Bakeman
11-21-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
NHL 2K3 may be a bit late to the party, but don't hold that against it. Sega has done an excellent job with adding new features and polishing existing ones to make it worth the wait. Now that the series has moved on to all platforms, no one will have an excuse not to play what has become the best hockey game this year.

The new additions, excellent gameplay, and Xbox Live support make this the best hockey game of the year.

The most notable addition in NHL 2K3 is the franchise mode. This is where you are given the opportunity to take on a managerial role of a team. After completing a regular season, you'll have to adjust your roster by retiring old players, recruiting rookies in the draft, and signing/releasing free agents before starting a new season. It's a mode well-suited for those looking for deeper gameplay because eventually you won't recognize half a team's players (because the draft recruits fictional players), forcing you to research their abilities to create an even match-up on your own lines. You don't even have to play the games; you can simulate every season to see how your decisions rate against the computer's decisions.

There are several other gameplay modes as well. You can play an exhibition game, playoff series, a single season, and a tournament mode. You can choose any of the NHL's teams plus a handful of world teams to take into a game. When you complete a game or season, you'll be presented with great game statistics. You can even see where you took all your shots in a game to see where a goalie's weak spot may lie. There is also the new Sega Sports Challenge feature where you can play a game and post your stats online to see how you fare against other people in a bunch of different categories such as goals and penalties-in-minutes. The interface features the ESPN logos, and games are presented as they would be on National Hockey Night on the ESPN channel. This is all aesthetic of course, but it's still a nice touch to immerse yourself in the game.

The actual game itself is going to be as easy or as difficult as you choose. There's a huge list of options you can change before hitting the ice. You have five difficulty settings that are tiered nicely. The rookie setting lets a newcomer still score goals while getting adjusted to the game, while the pro levels and above require advanced controls and setups to get the puck in the net. You can also change whether your shots are auto-aimed and whether you control your goalie or not. You can even adjust hitting power, fatigue effects, and ice friction.

The gameplay is where NHL 2K3 stands out amongst its competitors. The AI seems fully aware of what is occurring in the rink. And even though you'll be able to easily setup shots because of this, the goalie is adept at stealing away most of your well-executed plays. It builds up such an excitement that when you do finally score, you'll cheer and taunt your friend/TV. Another great aspect of the gameplay is that players actually attempt to get loose pucks. This is a problem that plagues most NHL games, and it's great to see that AI players care to sweep it up, or even grab one in midair and drop it to the ice. There is one noticeable AI flaw in the game. If you skate behind the opponent's goal with the puck, mire often than not the defenders will get caught in the goal posts/ You can just sit behind the net the whole entire game like this. It's more of a cheat to win the game while you're ahead, or to get rid of a shorthanded situation.

Hockey rules are also done well in the game. Unlike in NHL 2003 where you'd have problems with your team going off-sides, the AI in NHL 2K3 rarely do this unless you force it to. Also, you'll find that penalties are strictly enforced if you have this setting set to maximum and if you play aggressively. You'll find that it's a toss-up between choosing to check everyone you see and risking calls, or playing defensively and risking more scoring attempts against you. The referee can get in the puck and player's way, and you can even check the goalie, resulting in charging calls.

Gameplay is also dependent on what control setting you use. The basic control scheme lets a player learn the basics of the game like passing, shooting, and body checking. Eventually you'll find this to be limiting as you get the hang of the game, especially on the harder difficulties when the computer uses advanced controls against you such as pinning. The advanced controls let you pin a player against the boards, poke check, hook, and perform other maneuvers. Fights are somewhat better than competing hockey games, but they are still hokey and are still just a minor distraction from the gameplay.

There are many different attack and defense strategies you can use on the ice. It's easy to switch between these strategies using the digital pad and trigger buttons. You can also change lines on the ice without having to pause the game using the digital pad as well. Both of these allow you to continue the game without having to interrupt the flow. The manual also does an excellent job of explaining the rules of hockey as well as how to play.

The only areas where NHL 2003 beats out NHL 2K3 hands down are the graphics and sound. The models and ice just don't look as good as they do in NHL 2003. The animations are also lacking in NHL 2K3, especially in cutscenes. At least there is a good selection of camera angles. The sound is also rather dull compared to EA Sports' game. Pucks hitting the crossbar don't have that intense pinging sound, and hits don't make you cringe. But overall the sound is acceptable and certainly not poor. Commentary is actually pretty good, and won't get very repetitive over time.


The gameplay is where NHL 2K3 stands out amongst its competitors.

The biggest difference between the PS2 version and the Xbox version is the Xbox game's inclusion of online multiplayer support. You can of course play with up to four people on a single console to challenge your friends. But you can also log into Xbox Live and play against countless other people online. It keeps track of your overall win-loss record and disconnects, and it shows your record against specific players. Additionally, if you have a good connection to the Internet, you won't find lag to be a problem playing the game.

Fans who have been complaining about hockey games being too arcadelike can now rejoice. There is absolutely no reason why a hockey fan with an Xbox should skip this title. The new additions, excellent gameplay, and Xbox Live support make this the best hockey game of the year.


Wow dude!!!

I didn't like EA's NHL 2003 much, camera's really sucked IMO

I thought about trying Sega's game... now that I read what you wrote here makes me want to play it a lot more..

Hopefully I can rent it soon

Woocifer
11-21-2002, 11:39 PM
I still feel that 2K3 was a major disappointment... but you are right Jedi Knight is buggy and pretty obtuse in its gameplay elements.

I'm not trying to stir up any dirt... but you do realise that the guy on the IGN review even himself admits that he is a casual hockey fan that isn't totally into the sim side of things... I'm not trying to convince otherwise, but I totally did not appreciate this game at all.

I have been playing hockey games since 92, and I didn't see progression here... I found it rushed and unpolished...which is not what I expect for the money I paid.

FuNkY mOnK
11-22-2002, 12:10 AM
i give NHL2k3 9.0 and, i'm having great competition on live.

Chaotic
11-22-2002, 10:30 AM
This game blows goat balls :mad:

Kraft
11-22-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage
This game blows goat balls :mad:

Wow, thats a pretty talented game. All I can get mine to do is spin circles in the CD tray and give data to my xbox...

Either way, it can't be any worse than NHL2003. Why? Because NHL2003 was pretty much the exact same thing as NHL2002. After playing 10 minutes of it I took it out and returned it to blockbuster, then proceeded to play some more NHL2002 since I already have a career going on that one.

Chaotic
11-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA


Wow, thats a pretty talented game. All I can get mine to do is spin circles in the CD tray and give data to my xbox...

Either way, it can't be any worse than NHL2003. Why? Because NHL2003 was pretty much the exact same thing as NHL2002. After playing 10 minutes of it I took it out and returned it to blockbuster, then proceeded to play some more NHL2002 since I already have a career going on that one.


It's that bad :(

FuNkY mOnK
11-22-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage
This game blows goat balls :mad:

dude if you like hockey games i dont understand how you can say this? what are you nuts?

Dragoro
11-23-2002, 03:10 PM
NHL 2k3 is the best hockey game ever. its even kept me away from playin splinter cell.

Chaotic
11-23-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK


dude if you like hockey games i dont understand how you can say this? what are you nuts?


No, just a taste of reality!

The game is a huge dissapointment and that's coming from a huge hockey fan, someone who has NHL center ice on direct TV and watches just about every game!!!

FuNkY mOnK
11-23-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage



No, just a taste of reality!

The game is a huge dissapointment and that's coming from a huge hockey fan, someone who has NHL center ice on direct TV and watches just about every game!!!
Ok why don’t you be a little more specific why NHL2K3 sucks? Here’s my experience, NHL2K3 is the best hockey game out there and it sh its all over EA NHL2003, in fact there’s no comparison. I knew the differences between the two in one minute of play and add the fact that I’m playing some guy across the United States is more the reason NHL2k3 is superior. So please justify the pros and cons and give us the hockey game of your choice and why. Please.

Chaotic
11-23-2002, 05:56 PM
1 huge reason is GRAPHICS

this isn't a sega gensis system we own here, maybe sega should get off their asses and make the game look as nice as NFL2k3.


The game does have nice gameplay and sound i will give it that.

The player animations and charcther models look like little ants compared to the rest of the ice.

It was a nice attempt by sega, although i think it is better than EA's NHL the game , but this title doesnt will be left alone.

There are a lot more games out there that will get more attention
than me wasting my time on an NHL game that is only sub-par.

FuNkY mOnK
11-23-2002, 07:03 PM
well this is a hockey game, were talking sports nothing else,so if it's other games besides sport games that you'd rather have, fine, it still doesn't change the fact that NHL2k3 is the best hockey game on any system. just the pin against the boards leaps ahead of it's competition.the commentating is awesome, the stick work and control is second to none, i could go on for ever with this title. once you master the left anlog stick this game becomes very realistic in physics. like i said before, i think your nuts.:rolleyes:

Chaotic
11-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

Ok why don’t you be a little more specific why NHL2K3 sucks? Here’s my experience, NHL2K3 is the best hockey game out there and it sh its all over EA NHL2003, in fact there’s no comparison. I knew the differences between the two in one minute of play and add the fact that I’m playing some guy across the United States is more the reason NHL2k3 is superior. So please justify the pros and cons and give us the hockey game of your choice and why. Please.


I think your the one that's nuts getting all worked up over a video game :rolleyes:

FuNkY mOnK
11-23-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage



I think your the one that's nuts getting all worked up over a video game :rolleyes:
I’m not getting worked up, just telling you that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Chaotic
11-23-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

I’m not getting worked up, just telling you that you have no idea what you’re talking about.


So your opinon on NHL2k3 is the only opinon that matters? :rolleyes:


It seems you have a hard head and don't like to hear others feelings on their likes and dislikes, just because you like the game doesn't mean others will, myself included.

Grow up and see others point of view :rolleyes:

Caesar SYN
11-23-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage



So your opinon on NHL2k3 is the only opinon that matters? :rolleyes:


It seems you have a hard head and don't like to hear others feelings on their likes and dislikes, just because you like the game doesn't mean others will, myself included.

Grow up and see others point of view :rolleyes:

I just think you guys are little too hard on this game.. 2K3 I mean.. I think it is the best hockey game out there.. (My opinion).. and I leave it at that.. just as yours is 100% correct for you..

Its just a matter of opinion..

:)

Kero
11-24-2002, 02:52 AM
wow.. bashing a game just because of the graphics. i'd rather have a game with awesome gameplay and ok graphics than a game with awesome graphics and no game play like a lot of games out there.

FuNkY mOnK
11-24-2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Kero
wow.. bashing a game just because of the graphics. i'd rather have a game with awesome gameplay and ok graphics than a game with awesome graphics and no game play like a lot of games out there.

shrek being one.