PDA

View Full Version : My Steel Battalion Review

PunchDave
11-23-2002, 11:26 AM
STEEL BATTALION. This game is beyond amazing. The atmosphere and experience is something that can only be felt, not described.

It all starts with the box, it's big, it's green and it kicks ass. The first thing you see is the manual upon opening the box. It’s the same size as a regular magazine, with 38 pages. I’ve never seen ANY manual go into as much detail as this one. It is very well laid out with amazingly detailed pictures and diagrams. I just can not say enough about the detail. Next thing is the controller. It comes out of the box in three pieces with an allen wrench to assemble it. It’s solid, and well built. You can tweak your controller to absolute perfection in the options menu. You can also do a button test to make sure they're all functioning correctly. The foot pedals are next, which look like stainless steel (very nice).

Now, last but not least… the game. You are literally thrown into the game without any training which adds even more to the experience. Looking down at the controller is very intimidating at first. After the start up (which kicks ass) you're treated to a little light show (you'll pretty much **** your pants). The light's on the controller are very well done. They don't just flash off and on like some cheap ass Christmas tree lights. They can shine brightly or they can glow very faintly. Very, very, very nice!!!

In one mission I was turned into a little kid again. I was totally immersed and captivated by the experience. After a grueling battle half way through the stage, I was left with no ammo and thought I was surely sh*t out of luck. Being pelted with rounds of enemy fire, I had no choice but to run away ashamed of my defeat. Out of desperation I start hitting my communication buttons for help. Low and behold, I’m able to call for suplies and a chopper from the supply battalion comes to my aid. As it approaches my location it begins to hover. At this point I'm in disbelief... WOW. I slowly maneuver my way into position. Then the transference of fuel and ammo occurs. Another big WOW!!!!!!

Now that I'm refueled and loaded with ammo, I track back to my last place of defeat to enact my revenge. There he is, now’s my chance. As I lock on to him, my HUD turns red and I hear my alarm going off (warning me of an oncoming missile). I do a quick side step to dodge his attack while firing an Anti-VT guided missile at my foe, completely destroying him. When I side stepped, I heard his missile fly by my mech in 5.1, then a thunderous explosion behind me. Then from the same direction, I hear the sound of steel being violently twisted and bent. I turned to see what it was, and was shocked to see a tall metal tower beginning to collapse uponme. Out of horror, I panic and stomp my dash pedal throwing me forward out of harms way.

Out of fear I continue to run forward to avoid the tower of doom behind me. Gaining speed and not looking back, I ended up running head onto an entire fleet of enemy mechs. At this point I’m running about 100 miles per hour straight to my death. As I turn to save my self from utter annihilation, my mech begins to tip over (for the love of God not now). The next thing I know I’m losing it. CRASH!!! As I hit the ground, the HUD flickers and the buttons violently flash on the controller.

I immediately jump to my feet and begin to run, while constantly being bombarded by the mechs behind me. As I ran, missile after missile rained upon me violently. Every time I'm hit by a missile my HUD flickers and my lights flash from the impact. As I run, I continue to tell myself, “Just a little furthur and I’ll be in the clear”. But to my disbelief, Im blown into smithereens. Out of my ****iness I thought I would make it and saw no need to eject. In the process losing all my progress, but I LOVED EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF IT!!!!! I got f**ked and liked it.

Graphics 9.9

Gameplay 9.9

Replay 9.9

Presentation 9.9

Over All 9.9

I would give this game a 10, but I would be flamed by some people. So I’ll pass on giving this game a perfect score is most certainly deserves.

Dre
11-23-2002, 11:35 AM
Now that sounds like HELLA fun!!! I wish I had some $$ for this game as it sounds like a truly unparralled gaming experience.

Slacker
11-23-2002, 03:21 PM
Drool.........................gotta get ...me want ...mmmmmmmmm

truthandsoul
11-24-2002, 03:23 PM
Sir, you're an excellent review writer. Good job! You've got me all excited about this game. Sounds like it really needs to be experienced in 5.1.

FuNkY mOnK
11-24-2002, 03:31 PM
What i dont understand is that after you refuled and reloaded and read the manual you forgot one thing? wheres the trigger? not once did you fire anything? nice review. next time shoot dont talk.:D

Hugh_Jass
11-25-2002, 12:03 PM
I'm not going to get this game until AFTER Christmas. I promised myself that I would let my wallet cool down. I hope I can keep that promise. :)

Unreal
11-26-2002, 10:39 PM
Cool little write up. After work tomorrow I am going to be playing Steel Battalion all night. The controller is very well made and the manual is the best one I have seen yet as well. Thank you Capcom. When Steel Battalion 2 comes out with online play it will be GotY for sure IMO :D