PDA

View Full Version : Need Video Cable Advice...

Pimpn419
11-23-2002, 03:15 PM
Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a jam here.. I recently had my xbox hooked up to my tv via an Advanced AV Pack (with the S-Video) but due to my tv screwing up I had to switch tv's. The problem Is this tv doesn't have the S-video hook up. Big problem.. I've got my dolby digital 5.1 hooked up to the adapter with an optical cable. Can't I go out and buy a Componet Video cable and just hook that up from the adapter to the tv? I really need some advice on this subject.. I don't know what kind of cable I'll need, what brand I should get, or even if there are cables out there (Component Audio/Video) that are two way Component (RCA) Video/Audio cables. Thanks for the help guys.. also, if you can help me, where are some places I could pick up one of these cables and what brands good ect. Thanks again..

-Matt

Dre
11-23-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Pimpn419
Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a jam here.. I recently had my xbox hooked up to my tv via an Advanced AV Pack (with the S-Video) but due to my tv screwing up I had to switch tv's. The problem Is this tv doesn't have the S-video hook up. Big problem.. I've got my dolby digital 5.1 hooked up to the adapter with an optical cable. Can't I go out and buy a Componet Video cable and just hook that up from the adapter to the tv? I really need some advice on this subject.. I don't know what kind of cable I'll need, what brand I should get, or even if there are cables out there (Component Audio/Video) that are two way Component (RCA) Video/Audio cables. Thanks for the help guys.. also, if you can help me, where are some places I could pick up one of these cables and what brands good ect. Thanks again..

-Matt

Thats how I have my setup working. Optical cable and any normal RCA cable will work. If you only have an S-video out, there are little adapters that are sold that switch s-video to RCA. I think this is what you were asking....it wasn't too clear. You see.. Component cable is for hdtv's.. composite cable is called RCA cable. You can buy composite cable at almost any electronics store. I don't really know brands.. but for most general purposes, any kind of RCA cable with a bit of shielding on it will do.

Pimpn419
11-24-2002, 02:53 PM
hey - thanks for the advice. I went out and bought a Monster StandardVideo1 cable for round $15. I first got a genaric brand but that one was a piece.. so I took it back and got the monster cable. It's a little better than the generic brand but neither one of them are anything like S-Video. I can really tell a difference in the colors, textures, and overall quality of the picture. Are there any cables out there which might give me some of the quality of the S-Video cable? I know there are higher quality monster cables out there than what I've got now.. some that have an extended bandwidth out to 500MHz capable of carrying signals for over 500 channels. Thanks again...
-Matt

Dre
11-24-2002, 04:33 PM
hey - thanks for the advice. I went out and bought a Monster StandardVideo1 cable for round $15. I first got a genaric brand but that one was a piece.. so I took it back and got the monster cable. It's a little better than the generic brand but neither one of them are anything like S-Video. I can really tell a difference in the colors, textures, and overall quality of the picture. Are there any cables out there which might give me some of the quality of the S-Video cable? I know there are higher quality monster cables out there than what I've got now.. some that have an extended bandwidth out to 500MHz capable of carrying signals for over 500 channels. Thanks again...
-Matt

No, unfortunately, RCA's going to pretty much suck that way no matter what cable you buy. You might get minimal performance increase with a more expensive cable, but no where near S-video. If I was you, I'd save my money for something else. Sorry I don't have better news for ya

Zion
11-24-2002, 05:06 PM
-Matt

No, the cable has nothing to do with it. Composite is not nearly as good as S-video, no matter how much you pay for a cable. You'll get the exact same picture from a $2 cable as you will a $50 cable.

Pimpn419
11-25-2002, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys... that's sorta what I figured. I'll just have make due until I can save up for a better tv with S-Video.. or even an HDTV!! -Matt