PDA

View Full Version : MY Final Word

Koolice98
11-18-2001, 04:19 PM
i am an Xbox fan, and a nintendo fan. I bought an Xbox because it had more games that i wanted to play. The gamecube launch has absolutely no games i want to play. But i will be buying a gamecube next year when there are more games. Nintendo has always had better games, they just don't have enough variety, but i believe now that they use discs, eventually the variety that i need will be there. Also i got the xbox because its a new console and i missed out on the whole playstation thing, and DID my research before i chose my system. and what it boiled down to was that faster proccesor, more games, more room for improvement (hard drive, new level downloads, ripping my own music, etc.) and the controller. i, unlike most people, liked the dreamcast controller and disliked the playstation controller, and while the gamecube controller is decent the xbox controller is just more comfortable to me and my huge hands. Finally i want to say that the gamecube has faster load times, this is due to the fact that gamecube disc's are 1.5 GB's and the system can search for the files it needs faster then it can search for files on the Xbox's 8.7 GB discs.

Hugh_Jass
11-18-2001, 09:31 PM
While seek time is certainly a factor I would say that a longer load time might also be due to the XBox loading massive amounts of data that the Game Cube could never hope to handle. And since the XBox has a hard drive it is up to the developer how much data to cache and reduce load times.

But I don't really see this as a contest between 'Cube and XBox. The only thing Nintendo has going for it is its reputation. The hardware isn't capable of offering the XBox any competition. It's barely an upgrade over the PS2. I almost feel sorry for Nintendo. Maybe they'll be forever doomed to resurrect underpowered systems for the handheld market. I'm sure the Game Cube chip set will make a marvelous handheld in a few years.

Heyyoudvd
11-18-2001, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
While seek time is certainly a factor I would say that a longer load time might also be due to the XBox loading massive amounts of data that the Game Cube could never hope to handle. And since the XBox has a hard drive it is up to the developer how much data to cache and reduce load times.

But I don't really see this as a contest between 'Cube and XBox. The only thing Nintendo has going for it is its reputation. The hardware isn't capable of offering the XBox any competition. It's barely an upgrade over the PS2. I almost feel sorry for Nintendo. Maybe they'll be forever doomed to resurrect underpowered systems for the handheld market. I'm sure the Game Cube chip set will make a marvelous handheld in a few years.

I hope you realize that you're talking out of you a.ss. Your huge ass! (I know that was a terrible pun).

Anways, every time GCN has an advantage over Xbox, Xbox fans make up some bulls.hit excuse.

Rouge Leader loads faster than Munch does. Are you saying that Munch is more advanced and has better graphics than Rouge Leader does?

If you honestly think this, then you truly are ignorant.

Koolice98
11-18-2001, 10:10 PM
its not that Rogue is more advanced or it has better graphics than munch, its just that theres more information on the xbox dvd then the GCN dvd, that why it takes longer to load. The larger size of the xbox dvd (not size literally, but storage space) makes it possible for xbox games to have more content. As for Me personally i don't like air combat games, but thats me.

Marc
11-18-2001, 11:27 PM
The gamecube HAS no advantage over the xbox in any form. I considered buying one instead of an xbox, but after comparing them just kind of laughed at the thought of owning a gamecube. It will not even offer Sony any competition, much less Microsoft. The only issue I had with the xbox was its controller, but after playing it for twelve hours, that is no longer an issue. The controller is sweet. And those 1.5 discs that the gamecube uses are going to present developers with a problem in the future, especially if their game needs more than 1.5 space...

Hugh_Jass
11-19-2001, 11:36 AM
I suppose the load times won't seem quite so short on the Cube when you've got to switch to disc 2, 3, 4...etc. to get to the next level.

Hugh_Jass
11-19-2001, 11:43 AM
I will definitely say that Munch has more complicated graphics and environments than Rogue Leader. I mean, really, how much power does it take to make a Star Wars game look realistic? It's mostly just angular (i.e., low poly count) with a small color pallete and a VERY limited number of textures. I think Pikmin is a far bigger achievement for the Cube when it comes to graphics.

l Maximus l
11-19-2001, 11:46 AM
lol, Hugh_Jass...excellent point!

What does it matter if the XBox load time takes longer? The amount of data on an XBox game is astronomical compared to the data on a LameCube disc. A basic understanding of mathematics demonstrates the obvious issues surrounding this.

And, Hugh_Jass said it best...what does it matter if the LameCube downloads faster than the massive data that is on the XBox discs when a LameCuber has to remove their CD so they can insert "Disc 2" manually because their "wittle discy can ownwy howld a wittle bit uv data" ? :rolleyes: