PDA

View Full Version : Viewsonic NextVision N6 Due Out 12/7: PC Monitor Adapter (HDTV)

GoodCooker
11-26-2002, 10:52 AM
I am keeping an eye out for Viewsonic's Nextvision N6, which supports component video and HDTV on your PC monitor. Supposed to be launched Dec. 7th and is sub-$200 (if you can afford it). You can display up to 1280x1024 (the N5 only supports up to 1024x768).

See the description here:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/video_box_nextvisionn6.htm

With Xbox's support of HDTV, having a device that plays in that mode on your PC monitor would be cool, although if the display is in widescreen, having a smaller PC monitor might make it a hi-res squintfest. Unsure if the HDTV quality would be any better than full screen on a PC monitor anyway. Anyone have a thought on this?

The N6 also supports picture in picture (the N5 doesn't), so you can be running your PC and switch between the Xbox and your work/internet. This is sweet, since I would like to have the game up and running so I can play between emails...

Anyway, just thought you might like to know...

Dre
11-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Awesome 1st post bro! Welcome to the boards, its a great place to kill time.. especially at work :)

I'd been lookin around for something like this when I first bought my Xbox. Thnx for the info

GoodCooker
11-26-2002, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Dre. Nice to have an excellent Xbox forum out here!

Yeah, one of my main issues with the Xbox was making a decision: buy a new TV or use my PC monitor. Until I solved this problem, I would not be playing the Xbox much. Now that I found this solution (much cheaper than the TV), I suspect I will be on these boards more often discussing the Xbox and finally getting the value out of my purchase. :p

Halo just never looked that great on my TV, so here's hoping for many late nights finally playing and visually appreciating that and the many other games on my shopping list!

GokuX
11-26-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by GoodCooker
Thanks for the kind words, Dre. Nice to have an excellent Xbox forum out here!

Yeah, one of my main issues with the Xbox was making a decision: buy a new TV or use my PC monitor. Until I solved this problem, I would not be playing the Xbox much. Now that I found this solution (much cheaper than the TV), I suspect I will be on these boards more often discussing the Xbox and finally getting the value out of my purchase. :p

Halo just never looked that great on my TV, so here's hoping for many late nights finally playing and visually appreciating that and the many other games on my shopping list!

This thing sounds cool, however it'd be tough to crowd 4 people around my 17". BTW welcome Cooker.

Frink
11-26-2002, 03:31 PM
Welcome GoodCooker, I hope you enjoy your stay at XBA.

That does sound interesting, though my monitor is only 15in., it would still be nice, especially considering I have'nt the room nor the cash for a HDTV.

Dre
11-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by GokuX

This thing sounds cool, however it'd be tough to crowd 4 people around my 17". BTW welcome Cooker.

Ya, that is the drawback. Not very good for multiplayer playing. But for single player (especially if you still live with parents), this can be the answer to many a problem (i.e. GET OFF THE TV... I wanna watch my shows!!) :)

GoodCooker
11-26-2002, 06:12 PM
I thought about the multiplayer aspect. For MP, I can always move the XBox out of the office to a TV. The image isn't too bad, and most MP for me would be sports games which are okay on the TV. But our social events at the house rarely ever end up in front of a TV playing games (have a kid's video on, or the guys are drinking and watching a football game (instead of playing one - I'm 45, and I miss the old Sega Genesis Madden games I'd play with a friend for hours. Was a real blast!)

For the most part, my gaming is late night. Daughter is 6 - not many Xbox games we will let her play (we are getting a GC for more family oriented gaming at Xmas). So, the rare time I get to play it would be with headphones on, sitting in the office, wife and daughter asleep, and staying up all night (as long as my thumbs can stand it :)

I'm also a PC gamer, but I need a good console fix and the XBox is it. I also like the idea of being online with Xbox, while being online with the PC. In case I need help with a game, the PC is right there for researching it out...

And many thanks for the warm welcomes to the board. Much appreciated!!